It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One hell of a deal: Pope Francis offers reduced time in Purgatory for Catholics that follow him on T

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Well now I've heard it all! Since when did the church get the idea to offer "indulgences" and a shorter stay in Purgatory for following the World Youth Day events on Twitter?

Around 1.5 million are expected to flock to Rio de Janeiro to celebrate World Youth Day with the Argentine pontiff later this month. But for those who can’t make it to Brazil, forgiveness may be available to contrite sinners who follow Francis’s progress via their TV screen or social networks.

The Vatican court that rules on the forgiveness of sin has said:

...indulgences may be given to those who follow the “rites and pious exercises” of the event on television, radio and through social media.

Now it is specified that first believers would have to confess their sins, offer prayers and attend mass, but offering indulgences for following an event involving the Pope on social media is a new one on me!

One hell of a deal: Pope Francis offers reduced time in Purgatory for Catholics that follow him on Twitter
edit on 7/17/13 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well, it seems to be worth the time, eh?
No, just kidding.. How did those guys at the Vatican come to the conclusion that this obvious media-orchestrated parody could be taken seriously?

Even for catholic standards, this is a new low.

'just my 2ct

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

I don't know if it is a genuine effort to keep up with the times for the falling number of younger Catholics or if it's a ratings booster tactic or what. Most devout Catholics already confess, pray and attend mass so what's with the lure of a shorter stay in Purgatory? Has the "G" man above agreed to this deal?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Vatican officials, noted however, that to obtain indulgences over the internet or otherwise, believers would first have to confess their sins, offer prayers and attend Mass.

How are they going to know? Do you have to tweet them a picture of you in church?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
Since when did the church get the idea to offer "indulgences" and a shorter stay in Purgatory for following the World Youth Day events on Twitter?

The Catholic Church has ALWAYS believed that it can offer 'indulgences' for attending church functions or for visiting church sites, etc etc. The Catholic Church is just including modern means of attending these functions via twitter or facebook or whatever. So what???

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Has the "G" man above agreed to this deal?

According to Catholic belief ... whatever the Church holds bound on earth is held bound in heaven. Therefore ... yes ... according to their belief God does indeed recognize this indulgence. (see Matthew 16:18-19).

If you don't believe it .. fine. But don't worry about it.
It doesn't hurt you or anyone else at all if the Catholics do believe it.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

Vatican officials, noted however, that to obtain indulgences over the internet or otherwise, believers would first have to confess their sins, offer prayers and attend Mass.

How are they going to know? Do you have to tweet them a picture of you in church?

God will know. And he will tell the pope!!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Not attacking your faith FlyersFan, just wondering what's up? I have heard of "indulgences" before but I've never heard of them being offered for following an event in media. I get that you believe the Pope is a direct line to the "G' man. Just because I don't agree doesn't mean I don't understand that. I just wonder if this is a way to try to draw in a younger crowd or if they somehow profit financially by getting more coverage?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Dispensations! What is he now, "God"? Man, if I could, I slap that Pope from here to next century. If you're going to sell bullcrap, at least be consistent.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Not attacking your faith FlyersFan,

At this point my 'faith' is a mystery ... it doesn't fit under any one umbrella.
I was raised catholic so I still know where to find the information on the church.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Maybe not a new low. They sold places in heaven for a while when people were daft enough to believe the priests decided who got in.

Its so like the holy relics people want to believe in. The church preaches honesty and then sells relics and claims authenticity for things, its anything religious for a buck. Incidentally, perhaps someone should remind his Holiness that Christ didn't like people making money from religious nicnaks.

Even if it is done to try to encourage people back to the Catholic Church, this type of action won't work. They could change things though by being honest and openly dealing with the corruption around the world and leading in aid etc. The church is so damaged by stupid things like holed durexs' etc that perhaps people are beginning to think twice about a man in a frock with a fish head on his bonce, crook in his hand and no sheep around.

Even a little more honesty about the more hidden side of religion would kindle interest, but they are the biggest group in the world consisting of either big girls blouses or that despicable old boys club and they have led a very comfortable life in Vatican City for far too long.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I understand. Dad's family took me to Mass and Mom's family took me to Southern Baptist services until I hit my teen years. I'm still a religious person (Baptist) but I think i suffered information overload in my youth.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Its like a salesman. Get 1/2 off deal! Just sign up......
Not trying to disrespect at all but I just don't get it...

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I want the GPS coordinates for Purgatory, an iphone app for Purgatory...then I *may* follow him on Twitter.....

Des

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Yeah the pope is Jesus and offers salvation if you cough up enough cash, no need for anything but cash and a commitment to Rome.
Purgatory, where in the bible do we see a purgatory if I may ask???

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I'd settle for a good, old fashioned "snail mail" address!
Never know though, I could probably use all the help I can get; I have a feeling if I have a vacation in Purgatory in the afterlife I could be in for a rough stay!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

WOW. This is amazing. Finally it happened. Something that makes me wanna facepalm myself into a coma. I never thought this would happen. Well no time the present. Talk to youyzdfby.........hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhh

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

reply to post by Destinyone

I'd settle for a good, old fashioned "snail mail" address!
Never know though, I could probably use all the help I can get; I have a feeling if I have a vacation in Purgatory in the afterlife I could be in for a rough stay!

What's next..huh. Half off penance coupons in confessionals ?

Des

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

What's next..huh. Half off penance coupons in confessionals ?

Des

Well, since you can keep up on Twitter maybe for every thousand "Tweets" about the big show you get a coupon code good for time off in Purgatory or half off a value meal at Burger King. It's a mystery!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

And with only a few words, you have explained why most people who are Ex-Catholics became that way.

They started to think for themselves and realized how incredibly idiotic it was to think an elected leader could have any bearing on God's will.

I am not anti God, or even anti church, just anti stupid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join