It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Co-hosts of radio show 'The Pursuit of Happiness' committed suicide

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by coldkidc

The reason I've said that is because, even it they're suffering (like Caticus suggested) or if life is just so hard I couldn't possibly understand what they're going through - they decided to quit

So you are admitting to judging without having any experience of what exactly you are judging; ie, you know better the situation from having NOT experienced it, than do those who have experienced.

Again, arrogance.

Originally posted by coldkidc

the truth is

That you have no clue what the hell youre talking about, but are trying to come off as if you do. If you even had a little understanding, you would have empathy (unless you are not capable of it), and know that "cowardly" is not the appropriate word to use. In many cases, or even most, its not even an applicable term to use, except in the minds of those who cant understand the deeper reasons and aspects that go into suicide.

edit on 6/6/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Brooklyn has a minor rat problem but just a tiny one.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I don't pretend to know what goes through the mind of someone when they decide to take their own life. But I do believe that it is the coward’s way out. Many times it’s a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

If you have never felt the urge to end your life you should not judge those who feel it is the best answer for them.

The rise in these ridiculous catchphrases that are now thrown about when someone ends their life is just frustrating.

What if in your life there is a permanent problem there is no solution to. Why do so many people think that problems are temporary. Many brave people are trying to live through life problems that affect them everyday of their lives.Some folk can't keep doing it. It can very often most definitely not be a temporary problem that drives a person to end their life.

As for being the cowards way out, ending your own life takes great courage.
edit on 6-6-2013 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I don't pretend to know what goes through the mind of someone when they decide to take their own life. But I do believe that it is the coward’s way out. Many times it’s a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

As someone who once attempted suicide, let me try to explain.

When you're suicidal, you are in so much mental, emotional, and possibly physical pain that your death actually is appealing. You just want the pain to stop. You are incapable of thinking of others, or how your actions will impact their life. This is not out of selfishness...a person that deep in depression simply cannot move past their own pain.

I was at this point once in my life. It was horrible. New marriage, new and terrible job, mystery illness that left me hospitalized 3 times and baffled the docs (turned out to be gall bladder problems)....it actually got to the point when I would say to myself, "We'll, if this happens, I'll just kill myself." That thought brought me comfort. Seriously. Knowing there was a way out, even if it was death, allowed me to keep myself together somewhat.

The day I decided to kill myself, I didn't want it to be obvious to anyone else. So I got in my car and hit the interstate. I intended to drive into a bridge or something. At the last minute, I changed my mind and drove myself to the ER instead. There followed two weeks in the psych ward and years of therapy.

The reason I'm sharing this story is to get people to understand that suicide isn't the action of a selfish coward, but of someone who is suffering greatly.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

The victims of suicide are the survivors, not the individual who did it.

why does this happen.

why so often , do those who are close to the victim , decide to turn themselves into victims? they are still alive. their friend could not face life anymore and had to end their life. this is sad, but why then do they choose to take over that role when the real victim is gone?

i find it very strange behaviour and somewhat selfish and attention seeking.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by windword

WOW!

Strange story. I didn't know that helium was so lethal. It's readily available at Walmart and party stores, and plastic bags, unless you live in L.A. or San Francisco, they're easy to get too.

It is a very neutral gas, but when you breath something other than O2 you have a tendency to die...

Not true. The air you breath is many times more nitrogen than oxygen.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Sigh, I don't even know why I am getting involved. Anyways, it seems all the defenders of the suicidal use anecdotal evidence, and make comments like "You never know unless you are in their shoes". There are plenty of persons whom were "in their shoes" that opted not to commit suicide, therefore the situations themselves are irrelavent. The real problem is that many people fail to see how sacred human life is. CS Lewis said you are not a body with a soul, but a soul with a body. Your life is not yours to take, you are accountable to the One that created you.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It seems to me that suicides are rising.
One thing to keep in mind is that with an ever-growing population, everything else pertaining to humans will also increase right along with it.

For many years, I felt the exact same way. I have since come to realize though, that I could not have been any further from the truth. It takes balls to actually go through with it. Big Cahones

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It's called an Exit Bag. They had probably being reading the peaceful pill handbook. The human brain is designed to panic in the presence of carbon dioxide (hence why you breath out) but isn't bothered with inert gases. The bag fills with helium and forces the oxygen out then you pass out and eventually die. Very peaceful. This is why you have oxygen masks in airplanes.

Edit to add, those who say suicide is a cowards way out have clearly never been to the edge of absolute despair and as such should remain quiet.
edit on 6-6-2013 by CallYourBluff because: edit

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

WOW!

Strange story. I didn't know that helium was so lethal. It's readily available at Walmart and party stores, and plastic bags, unless you live in L.A. or San Francisco, they're easy to get too.

Also readily available is rope, razor blades, gasoline, rat poison, a stepladder, bleach, ammonia, knives, guns, super glue, bullets, battery acid, duct tape, chain saw, lawn mower, nail gun, blow dryer, etc... etc.... etc.........

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thank you for the explanation. As I have stated before, I have known several people who have committed suicide during my time in the military. To the best of my knowledge, none of them suffered from a terminal illness. Most often it was because a spouse left them or was seeking a divorce. Their outward appearance and behavior did not give any indicators of depression either. These were people I worked with daily. I’ve help their families pack their house because once a Service member dies, the family is usually given 60-90 days to vacate if they are in Base housing.

Maybe I have a skewed view of suicide because I found one of the guys who had just swallowed his shotgun (I heard the blast) and have twice had to help clean up the mess left behind. It’s nothing nice and has a tendency to make one’s mind go into overdrive. Mainly…Why?!

But I will admit also to a small dark corner in my mind chuckling at this story. I was ashamed immediately for doing so, but I still did it. It is a bit ironic.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
Sigh, I don't even know why I am getting involved. Anyways, it seems all the defenders of the suicidal use anecdotal evidence, and make comments like "You never know unless you are in their shoes". There are plenty of persons whom were "in their shoes" that opted not to commit suicide, therefore the situations themselves are irrelavent. The real problem is that many people fail to see how sacred human life is. CS Lewis said you are not a body with a soul, but a soul with a body. Your life is not yours to take, you are accountable to the One that created you.

Sigh.

I'm not defending suicide. Just trying to help those who've never experienced severe mental, emotional, or physical agony better understand why someone chooses suicide. They aren't thinking logically, but emotionally.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

Correct. It is not a cowards way out. But it is a "way out" for someone with no forward looking vision, poor coping skills, poor problem resolution skills, and little self control.

Not a condemnation by any means. Clinical depression can affect all of the above.

Then there are the wildcards: people whose psychosis is so severe that they don't relly know any better. Obviously not the couple in the OP, however.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. I know there's a soaring rate of suicide in the military. Perhaps the marriage crumbling was simply the final straw?

For everyone....if you have a seriously depressed friend who suddenly cheers up, be on your guard. When a person decides to commit suicide, they often feel jubilant because they know their pain is almost over. Sometimes these folks will give away possessions, sometimes not. But sudden happiness or calmness in a severely depressed person is a sign to take very seriously.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

For many years, I felt the exact same way. I have since come to realize though, that I could not have been any further from the truth. It takes balls to actually go through with it. Big Cahones .
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Agreed.

I didn't halt my suicide attempt because I suddenly saw the light. When it came down to it, I was to scared to do it.

Please note, I'm not trying to glorify suicide. But calling these people cowards is an injustice.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I don't know about the Big Cahones apart. I think that a lot of it has to do with what Smyleegrl alluded to. Which was basically fear and hopelessness.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

......basically fear and hopelessness.

Maybe the fear of yet another failure.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

For everyone....if you have a seriously depressed friend who suddenly cheers up, be on your guard. When a person decides to commit suicide, they often feel jubilant because they know their pain is almost over. Sometimes these folks will give away possessions, sometimes not. But sudden happiness or calmness in a severely depressed person is a sign to take very seriously.

Great advice!

I realized that I was lucky to have the friends I did when I started to give away most of my furniture. They staged an "intervention" for me. I found it amusing and touching at the same time. I had to explain to them that I was downsizing and pretty much becoming a minimalist. Becoming a “Tiny House” type of guy, I just didn’t need it anymore and wanted to give them first crack at it before donating it.

The second “intervention” happened when a self haircut went horribly awry. I decide to say screw it after looking into a mirror and seeing myself as if a zombie had been gnawing at my head and shaved myself bald. I looked like Woody Harrelson out of “Natural Born Killers”. Everyone knew that I was under a lot of stress with my job and they thought I had finally snapped. After all the sidelong glances, I will admit to playing with their minds a bit though. It was funny to watch people all of a sudden dart into offices that they had no business being in.

Finally my Boss and a couple of friends confronted me and I explained my current ugliness. We all had a good laugh and continued to mess with the rest of the building for the rest of the day.

It’s good to have people who do care.

But apparently, these two co-hosts didn't think anyone cared. That’s another thing I cannot understand. There is always someone who cares. You just have to reach out sometimes.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

......basically fear and hopelessness.

Maybe the fear of yet another failure.

Fear can be a powerful motivator. It can bring out the best and worse in us.

Oddly enough, when I am in fear for my life, I either laugh like a lunatic or become extremely calm. The kind of calm I can't achieve normally.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

WOW!

Strange story. I didn't know that helium was so lethal.

I didn't either, but I think it's more of a lack of oxygen than inhaling helium.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join