It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Atheist Monument Across from 10 Commandments

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
It is a strange to me how so many Christians act so threatened by atheists nowadays. Growing up as an atheist I felt I was persecuted to an extent for my nonbelief. I didn’t talk to others about it I didn’t try to get others to think like myself but all too often there were those who tried to convert me to their way of thinking. I had even tried to become a Christian but I couldn’t bring myself to believe in such things my life would have been much easier if I could have excepted what they were preaching but no matter how much I wanted to believe them I just couldn’t. They may as well have been telling me it was a spaghetti monster both would have been equally ludicrous to me.

Later in life as I got older I was very against religion I wouldn’t hesitate to trounce someone’s beliefs by pointing out the irrationality in it after they had tried to bring me to their side. I think that had a lot to do with how I had been treated in the past by those of faith. As I stated before there was a time that atheists were considered the same as Satanists and treated accordingly.

I am much mellower now and I try to educate those with misconceptions on atheism with the hope that history will not repeat when they deal with other atheists as a result of my effort. It has been my experience that much of the vitriol from both sides stems from misconceptions of each other and it is a cycle that needs to be broken which I think can be done if we understand each other’s views. It is like when I hear someone say atheists reject religion or Jesus for myself I never rejected any of it I just couldn’t bring myself to believe in it and there is a difference.

There was one period in my life that I was a Christian and went to church every Sunday I had bought into the whole shebang however that was a direct result of being misdiagnosed and given medication that literally drove me insane. Once I stopped taking that medication and regained my sanity the ability to believe such things disappeared. As a result I can certainly empathize with those who have faith and are religious and I have no intention of trying to take that away from them. however for myself and this is just me if I ever enter the realm of believing in something like deity’s again without some kind of evidence I will be making an appointment with a psychiatrist. For me faith in deities would be a symptom of a mental disorder.

Please read above carefully. I say this because I realize there may be some who misconstrue what I am saying. Keep in mind I am not saying religion is a mental disorder only I know myself well enough that if my views were to change on the subject I should seek psychiatric help. Every person is different and everyone’s experiences are as well.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
There is no shame in giving up what you cannot keep, in order to gain what you cannot lose.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
It is a strange to me how so many Christians act so threatened by atheists nowadays. Growing up as an atheist I felt I was persecuted to an extent for my nonbelief. I didn’t talk to others about it I didn’t try to get others to think like myself but all too often there were those who tried to convert me to their way of thinking. I had even tried to become a Christian but I couldn’t bring myself to believe in such things my life would have been much easier if I could have excepted what they were preaching but no matter how much I wanted to believe them I just couldn’t. They may as well have been telling me it was a spaghetti monster both would have been equally ludicrous to me.

Later in life as I got older I was very against religion I wouldn’t hesitate to trounce someone’s beliefs by pointing out the irrationality in it after they had tried to bring me to their side. I think that had a lot to do with how I had been treated in the past by those of faith. As I stated before there was a time that atheists were considered the same as Satanists and treated accordingly.

I am much mellower now and I try to educate those with misconceptions on atheism with the hope that history will not repeat when they deal with other atheists as a result of my effort. It has been my experience that much of the vitriol from both sides stems from misconceptions of each other and it is a cycle that needs to be broken which I think can be done if we understand each other’s views. It is like when I hear someone say atheists reject religion or Jesus for myself I never rejected any of it I just couldn’t bring myself to believe in it and there is a difference.

There was one period in my life that I was a Christian and went to church every Sunday I had bought into the whole shebang however that was a direct result of being misdiagnosed and given medication that literally drove me insane. Once I stopped taking that medication and regained my sanity the ability to believe such things disappeared. As a result I can certainly empathize with those who have faith and are religious and I have no intention of trying to take that away from them. however for myself and this is just me if I ever enter the realm of believing in something like deity’s again without some kind of evidence I will be making an appointment with a psychiatrist. For me faith in deities would be a symptom of a mental disorder.

Please read above carefully. I say this because I realize there may be some who misconstrue what I am saying. Keep in mind I am not saying religion is a mental disorder only I know myself well enough that if my views were to change on the subject I should seek psychiatric help. Every person is different and everyone’s experiences are as well.

maybe the medication was actually making you sane .... just a thought.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by SaturnFX

I annoy you? But I've explained my decision. I'm a spiritual Gnostic atheist because I possess the knowledge to support my lack of belief, although I do venerate the poetic nature of the universe.

You specifically, not at all.
But the idea that someone has supernatural knowledge of no deities at all, period..
is absolutely no different than those whom insist they know flat out there is a deity.

pretending to have knowledge of the unknown...that's the bit that annoys me.

Atheism is very narrow and precise. a non-belief in a deity...now is the non belief because you simply have no supporting evidence to validate the belief, or do you have super duper awesome magical abilities that lets you know the unknown.

There may be molemen living on a planet circling alpha century..who knows. personally I think that specific scenario is unlikely, but never know..but for someone to tell me in absolute terms yes or no and without giving me proof to support their claim without a doubt, then they are just nuts to me

Gnostics..the people whom claim to have knowledge (of theism/deities) are simply put liars, frauds, insane, or just plain stupid. I have yet to meet an exception to that.

Gnostics in regards to the meaning, not that rather spiritual group that call themselves gnostics because of ??? reason which I think your suggesting you are at...

But ya, if you are saying you have absolute knowledge of no deities, then...mhmm...I lump that mindset in right next to the Westboro Baptist Church mindset.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

reply to post by GeisterFahrer

Sorry but you are way off in left field with your assumption because that isn't even close to what I was saying. You are assigning a value to my words that was not intended and shouldn't have been contrived that way. You are free to draw your own conclusions however you would do better to take it at face value instead. I am curiouser if you even watched the movie I mentioned if you haven't I think you should because that should clear up your misconceptions on the matter because it has nothing to do with private schools. I hope you take the time to research the subject some it may open your eyes to the travesty that has befallen the school children of our country due to the far right.

The "far right" are all those pesky "religious nuts" ... correct?

How is it that when you "far lefties" took "God out of School" that the realm of public education has spiraled downward? Finland came in at the top.

www.suol.fi...

Might have something to do with it maybe ?

(you guys fought tooth and nail to remove prayer from school ... you own this now - the whole national teacher cheating scandal regarding the No Child Left Behind federal subsidiaries and perks .....) thegrio.com...

Is it because you atheists feel that "Thou Shalt Not Lie" is a rule that does not apply to you?
edit on 4-6-2013 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

reply to post by GeisterFahrer

The quote you were referring to says they would build a hospital instead of a church. I think you misunderstood what they were saying. It is great that religions erect hospitals no one is saying they don't do good things however instead of building cathedrals and churches a atheist would put the money to use building more hospitals and such that would benefit everyone and not just a religious group.

I hope that clears things up for you.

So ... how many atheist hospitals are there? In my area, every hospital has a religious affiliation attached to it in one form or another. I have yet to see a "Northside Secularist General". Just saying.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
One more pic

edit on 3-6-2013 by SaturnFX because: added info

I take issue with your depiction of a militant atheist; a militant of ANY worldview believes in forcing others to comply with their own beliefs or unbeliefs, and while militant atheists may not be an extraordinary large segment of the Atheist subsection (the same can be said of other belief systems as well), they are certainly not as harmless or unobtrusive to others as your pic suggests.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos

One more pic

I take issue with your depiction of a militant atheist; a militant of ANY worldview believes in forcing others to comply with their own beliefs or unbeliefs, and while militant atheists may not be an extraordinary large segment of the Atheist subsection (the same can be said of other belief systems as well), they are certainly not as harmless or unobtrusive to others as your pic suggests.

Adolf Hitler was a militant atheist and propagandist. Social Darwinism inflicted on the unsuspecting Jews. A Nietzsche (who mocked Christianity) fan that believed Christianity was a lie orchestrated by the Jews - told priests to teach Jesus was an Aryan to raise the hatred level of the typical church going German against the Jews - his own private secretary, a self avowed atheist - Martin Bormann.

en.wikipedia.org...

and if SaturnFX's point was that atheists cannot be blamed for horrific crimes against humanity .....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
This is pointless points scoring now. Quit it people, do any of you really think you're going to persuade someone to change their mind about their religious beliefs in this thread, after so many other threads tumble into the same point scoring nonsense?

This is about the atheists wanting to separate church and state, the state being unable or unwilling to comply, and the atheists then making a compromise to have their own monument erected in the same place as a counter opinion.

This is not about whether religion is bad, which one is worse, who is evil and who is righteous. That discussion is not going to change anything.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by windword

This seems ridiculous—Sue people for putting up religious monuments but then put up your own religious monument.

The American Atheists are a religious organization seeking to put up a religious monument in honor of their "church" in a public place. They too should be sued. This group promotes and provides information on "atheism", as if their position on God was any different from any other position on God. Pure double-standards and religiosity is what I see here.

how is atheism like religion in any way shape or form, we have no churches, we have no religious leaders, we have no commandments or books that puport to be absolute truth, we worship no deity and believe in this life not the next, there is no comparision.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer

One more pic

Adolf Hitler was a militant atheist and propagandist. Social Darwinism inflicted on the unsuspecting Jews. A Nietzsche (who mocked Christianity) fan that believed Christianity was a lie orchestrated by the Jews - told priests to teach Jesus was an Aryan to raise the hatred level of the typical church going German against the Jews - his own private secretary, a self avowed atheist - Martin Bormann.

en.wikipedia.org...

and if SaturnFX's point was that atheists cannot be blamed for horrific crimes against humanity .....

www.youtube.com...

You mean this Hitler?

I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so. - Adolf Hitler, to General Gerhard Engel, 1941

My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. ...Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. ...

- Adolf Hitler, speech on April 12, 1922

By its decision to carry out the political and moral cleansing of our public life, the Government is creating and securing the conditions for a really deep and inner religious life. The advantages for the individual which may be derived from compromises with atheistic organizations do not compare in any way with the consequences which are visible in the destruction of our common religious and ethical values. The national Government sees in both Christian denominations the most important factor for the maintenance of our society. ...

- Adolf Hitler, speech before the Reichstag, March 23, 1933, just before the Enabling Act is passed.

Source

Nice try though.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
reply to post by sinthia

Atheism is not a religion. It is a lack of belief in a deity. There is no belief or religion involved in atheist. An individual person chooses to identify as an atheist. There is no conversion or anything of that nature.

Then all of hte prostylization and monument making and suing that some athiests do is rather silly--all of that effort put to lack of belief.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

One more pic

Heforgot the Unibomber. He was an athiest and used bombs. He forgot Pol Pot.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dondylion

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer

One more pic

en.wikipedia.org...

www.youtube.com...

You mean this Hitler?

I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so. - Adolf Hitler, to General Gerhard Engel, 1941

My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. ...Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. ...

- Adolf Hitler, speech on April 12, 1922

By its decision to carry out the political and moral cleansing of our public life, the Government is creating and securing the conditions for a really deep and inner religious life. The advantages for the individual which may be derived from compromises with atheistic organizations do not compare in any way with the consequences which are visible in the destruction of our common religious and ethical values. The national Government sees in both Christian denominations the most important factor for the maintenance of our society. ...

- Adolf Hitler, speech before the Reichstag, March 23, 1933, just before the Enabling Act is passed.

Source

Nice try though.

Yes, that Hitler. So the point that he was a propagandist recruiter from a largely Lutheran population escaped you didn't it?

nice try though.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Hmm.. you got me there, man! Point to you for pointing that out! You know, for pointing out that America has thousands of years of blood on its hands.

Let's not resort to this pettiness quite yet. I was implying that we cannot blame today's Christians for yesterdays Christianity.

Maybe christianity started with just a bench. Who knows? After thousands of years I'm sure any institution will have blood on its hands. I guess we'll have to wait 1000 years before we can pass judgement.

Christianity didn't start with a bench. It started with a murder. A hanged god who will only return when the world is at war. These are the beliefs of Christians. These are the beliefs that the American Atheists do not wish the world to be ruled.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Christianity didn't start with a bench. It started with a murder. A hanged god who will only return when the world is at war. These are the beliefs of Christians. These are the beliefs that the American Atheists do not wish the world to be ruled.

Once again I wasn't being literal. But it's interesting that around that time, Christians were called atheists. Look how they turned out.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by garret

how is atheism like religion in any way shape or form, we have no churches, we have no religious leaders, we have no commandments or books that puport to be absolute truth, we worship no deity and believe in this life not the next, there is no comparision.

It's a religious affiliation that means absolutely nothing outside discussions on religion. The only thing that differs is the literature you subscribe to, the books you read and take on faith without looking at the data yourself. When you call yourself atheist, you are displaying your religious affiliation, where you stand in the religious circle, bearing your colours in regards to religion only. By calling yourself atheist, you are declaring your beliefs, you are being religious. If you don't have a religion, why do you take part in it?

What do you call yourself when you don't believe in ghosts? What about Bigfoot? Are you an a-Santaist if you don't believe in Santa? Do you tell people you're an A-extraterrestrial because you don't warship aliens?

Atheism means nothing. It's a t-shirt. There's no deities to not believe in. But Atheism today, its organizations, it's herd mentality and population, is instead a part of the growing religious revival; and according to how much they study the bible and concern themselves with Christianity only, Atheism could even pass as a sect of Christianity.

If this doesn't apply to you, then you're not an atheist. You're simply not religious enough to be one. Promote what you do believe in, not what you don't.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

How were they atheist when they clearly had a god? Either you are confused or some people were bloody idiots.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

How were they atheist when they clearly had a god? Either you are confused or some people were bloody idiots.

The pagans saw Jesus as a man. They called the Christians atheist for not worshipping their gods.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

" It's a religious affiliation that means absolutely nothing outside discussions on religion."

Shadows have absolutely no meaning outside of light. Does that mean shadows are also light?
edit on 4-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join