It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyes to U.S. skies for the solar impulse...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Hi Folks,

I guess we are going to be getting some pictures and claims of many sightings coming up shortly on the UFO forum about strange sightings over the skies in the USA... but no worries as it could be this :

The 2013 Across America mission flights are scheduled to kick-off starting May 3rd.

Itinerary: from San Francisco (California) to Phoenix (Arizona), to Dallas (Texas) to Saint Louis (Missouri) or Atlanta (Georgia) ending in Washington D.C. and New York City

solarimpulse.com...

With the wingspan of a jumbo jet (63.4m / 208 ft) and the weight of a small car (1600kg / 3,527 lb) -this revolutionary airplane is being hailed by experts as a technological wonder. "A flying laboratory for clean technologies, this prototype is the result of seven years of intense work in the fields of materials science, energy management and man-machine interface. Many of these technologies can also be applied to sectors beyond aviation," said André Borschberg, Solar Impulse co-founder, CEO and pilot.

www.energyharvestingjournal.com...

Keep your eyes to the skies folks, it would be great if you could take some pics and share for all of us who are not in the USA?

Lets just hope that Solar impulse doesn't get shot out of the sky by a couple of lurking drones huh

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 1-5-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

edit on 1-5-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

edit on 1-5-2013 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps title

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
From image alone assumed it was a drone or some model new craft.

So its the weight of a small car? How many people meant to carry, if any?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by below

Hi Below,

General characteristics

Crew: 1
Length: 21.85 m (71.7 ft)
Wingspan: 63.4 m (208 ft)
Height: 6.40 m (21.0 ft)
Wing area: 11,628 photovoltaic cells: 200 m2 (2,200 sq ft)
Loaded weight: 1,600 kg (3,500 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 2,000 kg (4,400 lb)
Powerplant: 4 × electric motors, powered by lithium-ion batteries (450 kg), providing 7.5 kW (10 HP) each
Take-off speed: 35 kilometres per hour (22 mph)

Performance

Cruise speed: 70 kilometres per hour (43 mph)
Endurance: 36 hours (projected)
Service ceiling: 8,500 m (27,900 ft) with a maximum altitude of 12,000 metres (39,000 ft)

en.wikipedia.org...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 1-5-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Wow this thing takes off at 22mph, I have gone faster on my push bike. Plus the cruising speed seems quite slow too. I can't imagine how scary a bit of turbulance must be if your the pilot of that thing

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Given the plane in picture got wings as much planes does to take advantage of the wind.
Wings would not be necessary to a spaceship flying in space, or using anti gravity propulsion making those impossible turns

Can´t see how anyone would mistake this plane for a UFO

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider
reply to post by Rodinus

Given the plane in picture got wings as much planes does to take advantage of the wind.
Wings would not be necessary to a spaceship flying in space, or using anti gravity propulsion making those impossible turns

Can´t see how anyone would mistake this plane for a UFO

To answer your question how i see it Spacespider :

Taking into consideration the fairly slow speed in comparison to a "normal" plane, Cruise speed of Solar Impulse: 70 kilometres per hour (43 mph) and when Solar Impulse is flying at dayfall, which it probably will do, the pilot will have to turn on the lights on the wings... I saw a review this morning on tv of Solar Impulse flying at night and the lights on the wings (four of them on each wing) look quite impressive when seen in the dark (especially taking into consideration the large wingspan!)

Also, take into consideration that this is a fairly "thin" aircraft so to speak, so the shape/outline may not be very visible in the dusk or night sky.

So... when you hear or see pics from people about observing 8 slowly moving lights in the dusk or night sky... then you know what it might be

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 1-5-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

edit on 1-5-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling... i need coffee!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Pretty cool stuff.
And that was a good idea to preempt UFO sightings, CIA black op drone strikes, or DHS surveillance.

Have to keep this thread handy for a while.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
only an amateur would confuse an airplane for a UFO

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eonnn
only an amateur would confuse an airplane for a UFO

Oh, my apologies oh wise one, i forgot that most people who spot strange lights in the sky are professionals

Kindest respects

Rodinus

top topics

join