It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: US Senate Committee Approves Gun Ban

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

A sharply split US Senate panel has passed a bill to ban assault weapons, but the measure is viewed as unlikely to go much further in Congress.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Did you guys hear about the AR 15 that went on the killing spree? The authorities are saying there might have been a human accomplise but details are vague at this point. So as far as we know the gun acted on its own.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
where theres a will theres a way and that will only grows stronger the stronger the need to protect whats important to you.

AR-15?

bump fire stocks, doctored high cap mags, auto fire kits its all out there and will be forever.

This ban even if it went through would only put less firepower in the law abiding hands and more to those that dont care for the law rules or life other than their own.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
You have to wonder why they don't secure our borders to lower crime, or maybe round the gangs up instead of giving them their own TV show. You know, things that make America safe enough to not need guns. Instead, they pass laws against the peoples right to defend themselves.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Guns do not kill people no more than cars kill people... The person behind the trigger / wheel kills people...

If the US government is so bent on keeping people alive then maybe they should ban cigarettes? After all that kills more people a year than guns do.

As for passing something, it will never make it beyond the senate. The House will not sign onto / accept the bill.
edit on 14-3-2013 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I'm still curious as to what an 'assault weapon' is...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Guns do not kill people no more than cars kill people... The person behind the trigger / wheel kills people...

If the US government is so bent on keeping people alive then maybe they should ban cigarettes? After all that kills more people a year than guns do.

or stop banning people and stop pooling things that people do to them selves from those things that other people do to others.

guns and drugs, tobacco, alcohol, fast food large soda drinks, GM crops etc They are not the same.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast

An assault weapon is a weapon of fear dreamed up by people who are scared of the citizens of this country and who are desperately trying to disarm them by whatever means available while at the same time having absolutely no understanding of guns or gun safety, let alone personal responsibility and accountability.

Bloomberg is against guns, except for his body guards....
Rosie Odonnell is against guns, except for the people who protect her children...
Obama is against guns, except for his secret service detail...

etc etc etc...

Those morons pushing gun control wont be affected by it because they will always have people around them who are armed.

Ironic..

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Is there any country in the world that has benefited from a gun ban in a positive way

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This has zero chance of passing the Senate much less the House.

+1 more 
link   
No law that violates the Constitution is legal. When a government no longer follows it's own laws, it loses the moral authority to govern. I no longer recognize the authority of the entity calling itself the "US Government". The right to govern is predicated upon the consent of the governed. I withdraw my consent.

link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Whats next, a ban on fingers that can pull a trigger as fast as an auto?

Im sure theres some 6 shooter gun slingers that can fire 6 shots more accurately than a dumass with an Uzi can squeeze off 6 and hit nothing but a barn door.

link   
reply to post by Biigs

guns and drugs, tobacco, alcohol, fast food large soda drinks, GM crops etc They are not the same.

The end result I'm afraid is the same. Death.

What are we trying to say here? We only care about people dying if it's by gun death?
But if you die from tobacco, alcohol or any other means that's ok?

Dead is dead. And if we care about people dying you need to ban what kills the most people.
Otherwise this is just a bunch of BS.

link   
Many MANY bills make it out of committee. I'll grant that many more die there and never get this far. However, FAR MORE get out of committee and to this stage than ever pass the house they started in, let alone BOTH Houses of Congress and then onto a President willing to sign by the time things are tacked on.

In this climate?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast

It's a fully automatic gun. The AR15 is a semi-auto. They just like to make up their own definitions of things as they go along.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
or stop banning people and stop pooling things that people do to them selves from those things that other people do to others.

Under the gun control argument they are the same.... Its always someones elses fault this occurred. They are trying to find ways to go after gun manufaturers for gun deaths...

A gun is more dangerous to the powers that be than cigarettes are.
A gun is more dangerous to the powers that be than soda / sugar are.

The base for the gun argument is the number of innocent people killed by gun violence... People die each year from second hand smoke...

So yes, an aegument can be made for anything that kills... So why are people so intent on concentrating just on guns while ignoring all other items that kill?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
you can still buy 2,200 types of firearms, so if the bad guys are coming, you should be able to find a nice weapon

who benefits from all the fear ?

the senate or the gun lobby ?

hmmmm.......

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
reply to post by Xcathdra

Whats next, a ban on fingers that can pull a trigger as fast as an auto?

Im sure theres some 6 shooter gun slingers that can fire 6 shots more accurately than a dumass with an Uzi can squeeze off 6 and hit nothing but a barn door.

Personal accountability... not government... not manufaturer... Personal...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Many MANY bills make it out of committee. I'll grant that many more die there and never get this far. However, FAR MORE get out of committee and to this stage than ever pass the house they started in, let alone BOTH Houses of Congress and then onto a President willing to sign by the time things are tacked on.

In this climate?

If it were before reelection, I think Obama would have waited until the last minute and then decide not to sign it, thus defending our constitution and gaining support from the right. But now? I don't know what he has to gain by not signing it other than simply looking good. Hopefully that's enough.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
you can still buy 2,200 types of firearms, so if the bad guys are coming, you should be able to find a nice weapon

who benefits from all the fear ?

the senate or the gun lobby ?

hmmmm.......

Are you suggesting the Democrats and the gun lobby are working hand in hand?

As far as 2,200 comment, it misses the point... A Musket is just as lethal as an AR. However, restricting the peoplulation to a musket while allowing the government to use the AR would guarantee a silent majority population while creating a vocal minority government.

The purpose of the 2nd amendment was so we did not have to sing God save the King (Queen today). We won our war of independence with the assistance of France and access to the same weapons the British were using.

Why must we repeat history when all that is needed is for people to understand it?
edit on 14-3-2013 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

great question!

you can die a million different ways... You can choose to live a good life, clean and healthy and still be shot by a drug addict with an illegal weapon for the 17 bucks in your wallet.

should we ban unhealthy things?

should we ban guns?

should we ban the liberty to decide?

dead is not dead.

When i die i want it to be a consequence of my own choices, or my body's imperfections.
edit on 14-3-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join