It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independent Study Proves Guns Don’t Kill People *Shocking Evidence

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

But almost no-one had any such weapons to start with
That's the point. We've never needed to have a gun to feel safe - we feel quite safe without them, and always have.

They might just as well have banned the use of personal HAARP arrays for all the affect it had on 99.9% of the British population.
edit on 16-2-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

We never had the Wild West period like you guys. It's the Wild West mentality that lives on in America. Guns were never deemed as the essential tool Americans did. Massive cultural differences between our two nations. In fact we should be walking around with bow and arrows, to more reflect our cultural history with weapons.

I'm sure our perspectives would differ had we been born in each others respective nations
edit on 16-2-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I completely agree with you here OP the gun debate is pretty silly IMO when I was in the military overseas it wasn’t the guns that bothered me though it was the actual bullets coming at me that would have me looking for cover. Kind of like jumping out of a plane the fall was great it was the landing part that I was careful about.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
reply to post by seabag

But almost no-one had any such weapons to start with
That's the point. We've never needed to have a gun to feel safe - we feel quite safe without them, and always have.

Wrong..

Ever since the first bipedal upright Ape slapped another over a water hole there has been need for defensive weapons of some sort all through out human history.

edit on 16-2-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

That's why I was wondering why he would put a loaded gun with the safety off, above a cat on a chair, with children playing nearby.

You can teach children not to touch the guns, much like they get taught not to touch matches.
I don't think you can tell if you've taught your cat as well as the kids.

A couple of years ago, some drunk put his handgun on the seat of my truck. I didn't know it was there, I noticed halfway home, my Shihtzu sitting on the gun, squirming around, and it was pointed straight at me. On a really bumpy country road.

My husband gave him a smack in the head the next day when he returned his gun to him.

I think safety mechanisms are there for a reason, and they should be in place around animals.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

But almost no-one had any such weapons to start with That's the point. We've never needed to have a gun to feel safe - we feel quite safe without them, and always have.

They might just as well have banned the use of personal HAARP arrays for all the affect it had on 99.9% of the British population.

I must ask….who cares?

Like I said, I don’t expect you Brits to understand our gun culture. I am curious though as to why you’re drawn to these threads since you admittedly can’t relate?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

We never had the Wild West period like you guys. It's the Wild West mentality that lives on in America. Guns were never deemed as the essential tool Americans did. Massive cultural differences between our two nations. In fact we should be walking around with bow and arrows, to more reflect our cultural history with weapons.

“Wild West Mentality”??

I don’t remember any cowboys worried about second amendment rights or guns going off on their own.

There is no “wild west mentality” in the US. This is a derogatory mischaracterization often used by pseudo-intellectual elitist types and perpetuated by people who don’t like the US anyway. Most of the people who hold that belief don’t like ‘Merikans for a number of unrelated reasons and this is just another jab at us.

I'm sure our perspectives would differ had we been born in each others respective nations

I agree…

edit on 16-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

You are 4.5 times more likely to be shot if you are carrying a gun.... Choose fact..Not opinion

You are 50,000 time less likely to be the VICTIM of a crime if you open carry a gun.
edit on 16-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

And you seem to miss the point that the tool is not the cause of the problem. Guns, cars, hammers, scissors or what ever you want to use to cause harm either by accident or design they all require a person to use or misuse them. And for the record it's not legally owned guns that are the problem. It's the guns acquired for criminal reasons obtained usually by illegal means. If the legal system didn't use gun charges as another thing to be removed in plea deals maybe some of the problem would be rectified.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Oh yea, there are stories that abound on the interwebs where a hunting dog has shot his master. Part of me finds that funny, but the other part doesn't as that is a lesson learned as far as I'm concerned.

AD (Accidental Discharges) cause all sorts of harm to idiots and innocents, just because the individual though that they had safed the weapon.

I always think of my weapons as a tool, albiet a dangerous one if I am not careful. But when I go out to plink some targets I always say that I am going out to shoot "My Toy." It's a guy thing.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by seabag

So you left a bunch of loaded guns out in the open where anyone could have picked one up and shot you in the face and because that didn’t happen it proves that guns don’t kill people.....

That was just dangerous it was never going to prove anything, Guns kill people but so do people, it is the person that pulls the trigger but its the gun that pushes that bullet out and into some unfortunate fellows face.

The whole “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” is just a gimmick it has no value as a legitimate argument.

I am no gun grabber by any means but dude, seriously, what you done today was just stupid and was never going to prove anything.

If you aren't a gun owner then you just don't get it. Logic would suggest that he followed all basic gun safety measures... this is satire. This is absurdity being used to point out absurdity, which is the best way to point out illogical absurdity.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

If people actually read history, they would find that there was more gun control in "The Wild West" than there is today.

The "The Wild West" is a figment of Hollywood and they sold it well.

Ah'll be yer huckleberry...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I've heard about those stories of dogs and accidental discharges.
That was what I thought of when I saw the op's gun over the cat..

Luckily the op's cat didn't accidentally shoot someone.

Cats are just too jumpy and unpredictable. One loud noise

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

I've heard about those stories of dogs and accidental discharges.
That was what I thought of when I saw the op's gun over the cat..

Luckily the op's cat didn't accidentally shoot someone.

Cats are just too jumpy and unpredictable. One loud noise

Cats are like people...some have more sense than others.

In fact, many cats are highly trained members of the FRA (Feline Rifle Association).

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I live in England so obviously gun culture as never been a part of my life......It's not something I want and I have never felt unsafe or been vulnerable because I am not armed.

But...I accept it is a part of life for the American people for a number of reason's.

I have to say, if I visited the US I would probably be more fearful of an armed police officer over there than I would the general public! A lot of them come across as more suspicious, fearful and trigger happy than the rest of the population. But that is just my perception....

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Dependant upon the trigger and how it was tuned, a cat would literally have to put it's weight into it to activate it. Most dogs are a bit heavier, Especially hunting dogs.

That said, My 'ol Maine Coon could probably pull the trigger on accident. He weighs thirty pounds.
:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

I have to say, if I visited the US I would probably be more fearful of an armed police officer over there than I would the general public! A lot of them come across as more suspicious, fearful and trigger happy than the rest of the population. But that is just my perception....

Good point.

That’s the reason we have a second amendment…protection against a tyrannical federal government and its agents.

Even though US has the highest per capita ownership of guns we do NOT have the highest per capita rate of violent crime. You would have no more to fear here than any other modern country.

CX

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I understand and agree with the premise of the thread, as they say, people kill people...not guns.

I'd have to add to that "irresponsible gun owners kill people" too.

Having a cat lay under a loaded firearm with the safety off isn't a great way of proving responsible ownership in my opinion.

What if the cat had jumped off and knocked the gun off onto the hard floor?

Yes i know, if it's a modern firearm it's pretty near on impossible for a gun to go off when dropped, but you don't risk it. Even though you know the gun wouldn't go off without someone pulling the trigger, i wonder if you'd have your kid or partner stand in front of it when fully loaded with the safety off?

Sorry if i sound like a party pooper here, i just think that the anti-gun types have enough ammo to use against gun owners.

CX.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Interesting study for sure. I have an idea for a study which you might also want to consider. Under the same conditions as your previous study check and see if the guns are capable of saving a persons life

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I've probably been watching too much Deadwood recently.
. I'm off for the night.
edit on 16-2-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join