It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trackhunter
Reply to post by usaman1983

This is crazy! Aren't early warning system is there to forewarn us? This just goes to show how unsafe are we if anything stikes earth. Good thing tho the meteor blew up before it the ground but there few who got injuries.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

some1 was sleeping on the job, or some1 muted the notification alarms,
both of them are
to me!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by piequal3because14

It might be the run from responsibility for things to come,I mean if the church has the info for hundreds years ago and they cannot make it publicly then....if lives will be lost someone must be to blame,therefore in a church without God no one will remain to heal the souls who will suffer....so on.

I don't mean to go too off topic but I always felt it diametrically opposing and strange that the Vatican, who supposedly knows where we came from and who the players are (i.e., Adam, Eve, and the Jesus gang) would keep an eye to the sky by owning one of the biggest observatories on this planet. Kinda doesn't make sense.

If they're watching for in-coming asteroids, what happened to their direct line-of-communication with their maker? Why not just ask?...instead of watching? Isn't this what they do in those confessional booths?
Of course I'm being facetious (for I am very anti-organized religion but....) maybe THIS is why the pope is abdicating thy throne.

edit on 15-2-2013 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoShredAK
reply to post by Human_Alien

Wow, I've followed this thread from the beginning, I'm addicted to ats now so I've been catching all these big breaking stories as they happen.
I hadn't thought about the popes resignation alongside this and all the other crazy events until just now. Kind of scary considering the bible says the sky will rain fire and the earth will shake and all that.
I Kind of sat back and thought "holy sh$t, this might really be happening this time."

Since the day he resigned I was thinking, "So a big rock is hurdling towards Earth and he is the first pope to resign in over 600 years?"

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exitt

Originally posted by ceetee
reply to post by Exitt

after first claiming it was true through an unofficial official military source

I understand and my eyes are rolling with you
but just like the numbers of casualties keep rising so are the official statements steadily trying to unify it all. If it was true, Russians would be all over the msm by now bragging about being the best meteoritekickass nation of the world.

i guess there is a possiblity of "wtf, there is something entering our airspace and we knew nothing of it! how will that look to the US?!.... let's say we exploded it with missiles!" then, when people questioned it, it was back tracked. I've also read one russian official (?) claiming they shot down US military hardware

edit on 15-2-2013 by ceetee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by weavty1

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by Maestro28
And here is the explanation for the trail. So it pretty much got pancacked at the end.

"If the reports of ground damage can be verified, it might suggest an object whose original size was several meters in extent before entering the atmosphere, fragmenting and exploding due to the unequal pressure on the leading side vs the trailing side (it pancaked and exploded)," Yeomans told SPACE.com in an email. "It is far too early to provide estimates of the energy released or provide a reliable estimate of the original size." [Photos of Russia's Meteor Fireball Blast]

Source: www.space.com...

Does anyone know if one of Russia's missiles intercepted the meteorite and broke it into pieces before impact on earth?

I'm thinking it would be damn near impossible for any missile defense system to intercept something travelling 33,000 mph.... Since most 'missile defense systems' are designed to intercept ICBM's, and the fastest 'missile' known to man, is probably the LGM-30G Minuteman III, which has a terminal phase velocity of around 15,000 mph... Close to half the speed the Russian meteorite was travelling.

Wouldn't happen.

Unless the object wasn't moving at 33,000 mph like the twin smoke trails suggest.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

Totally understand what you are saying. I have been watching various space related things on BBC4 for the past couple of weeks (lots of interviews with the Max Planck lot and with NASA at JPL and also the Near Earth Observation teams).

They simply just admitted that the technology wasn't sophisticated enough to track anything under a certain size. They also realised how feeble this was, which is why they have been developing all sorts of satellite equipment to send up.

Only last night they had a programme on "How big is the Universe?" and the thing that most astounded me during it is that we have basically only had 1 map of the known universe since about 1957 (taken on photographic glass). This is changing thanks to a Professor in the US (can't remember his name) who has enlisted a town in New Mexico to help him trawl through the data of the night sky to completely update it. Bear in mind this is Galaxies, etc, and we have had to rely on a map from 1957! Then try to imagine that in relation to tracking tiny 10 tonne asteroids.

Basically, we are "flying blind" through the Universe. Which i personally find to be a truly sobering prospect (although not one it is worth worrying about).

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Great post , proper facts.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr
reply to post by CitizenJack

This impact crater - if it is one (where's the ejecta? carbonization? melt and remelt?) - looks too small.

10 ton meteor = 20,000 lb and the crater should be larger.

calculator- impact

or more graphical calculator (and more fun)

I don't have all the parameters - i recall about 19 km/s ? trajectory angle may have been 20-30deg?

have fun

about two cubic meter of meteorite can be 10 Tons weight if its mostly iron (60%) and this one landed on frozen lake FYI
edit on 15-2-2013 by flash75 because: info

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

If they're watching for in-coming asteroids, what happened to their direct line-of-communication with their maker? Why not just ask?...instead of watching? Isn't this what they do in those confessional booths?
I was reffering to documents they have in the archives of Vatican for hundred years, documents that can speak about the events to come or can give a clue for what's to come but maybe I am wrong.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
read the first 15 pages and last 6 pages...eyes are nice and blurry now....

as it has been pointed out..2012 da214 , at the time of the impact in russia, was still million(s) of miles out and on a different trajectory....which begs the question..so whats happening? 'oh, you know, just a random metor strike ahead of a close fly by of another metor and a couple of visible comets later in the year..no biggy'

lots of stuff fallin' from the sky, lots of stuff....

reports say 3000 buildings damagd, the pics of the damage sorta make it look like debris rained down from above as the 'object' blew up and continued to fall the the earth...also shows that they cant track everything.....when was the last metor that hit earth and cause this kind of damage?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

So Homo
what your saying is
that there is nothing to see here
and everyone should just keep it moving

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx
I doubt NASA, maybe the Russian space agency because if NASA did try to shoot at the asteroid that is skimming past earth, screwed up and caused this huge problem in Russia i would imagine they would take it as an act of war...

My friend, you're assuming all agencies on this planet are privy of knowing all of NASA's capabilities.

I'm not saying it's NASA per se but I am suggesting this might have been the result of some man-made intervention of sorts. I do believe NASA (or their alter ego agency) is the most powerful military-like organization on this planet though.

Bottom line, I just don't see this as a natural occurrence. Not with this asteroid due to fly by tonight.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
when was the last metor that hit earth and cause this kind of damage?

This probably happens more frequently at sea, and less over land in sparsely populated areas, and even way less over populated areas.

Not to detract from your original point that we can't track everything bound to hit the Earth.

link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by piequal3because14

It might be the run from responsibility for things to come,I mean if the church has the info for hundreds years ago and they cannot make it publicly then....if lives will be lost someone must be to blame,therefore in a church without God no one will remain to heal the souls who will suffer....so on.

I don't mean to go too off topic but I always felt it diametrically opposing and strange that the Vatican, who supposedly knows where we came from and who the players are (i.e., Adam, Eve, and the Jesus gang) would keep an eye to the sky by owning one of the biggest observatories on this planet. Kinda doesn't make sense.

Of course I'm being facetious (for I am very anti-organized religion but....) maybe THIS is why the pope is abdicating thy throne.

edit on 15-2-2013 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

Maybe the 'creators' are returning to take control .

edit on 15-2-2013 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Gutterpus
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Yeah, I agree this may be one site where a part of the meteor hit, but it just doesn't hold water. If that thing could do as much damage as it did, blowing out windows, taking out buildings, injuring hundreds, there's a much larger crater somewhere. Afterall, the government isn't sending thousands to inspect a hole this size. There would be major damage around such a landing site - at least in my humble opinion, I would think so.

If even just 1 classroom has it's windows blow in, there's 30+ people with incident reports to fill in, injuries to tend to even if it's just a scratch. Everyone in an area that had damage may have reason to attend a medical facility, for any number of reasons, one being hearing loss for instance. That bang was loud.

No, no buildings were taken down.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Isn't this how just about every doomsday movie starts? Small single asteroid impact in some foreign country...then another...and another....then BOOM.

J/K...that's just for all the doomsdayers.

I'm glad no one was killed, at least from reports I've seen. I guess the big one that is suppose to fly by could have other smaller friends on the same path...hopefully this is the only one that hits us.

link   
Smoke trails looking a tad too uniform for a meteor. Unlikely that two rocks would follow EXACTLY the same patterns in such a manner, nor would an impact crater on ice (conveniently in a lake) be so small and uniform for the descriptions given.

aperfectcircle.com...

link   

Originally posted by UnderGetty

Originally posted by weavty1

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by Maestro28
And here is the explanation for the trail. So it pretty much got pancacked at the end.

"If the reports of ground damage can be verified, it might suggest an object whose original size was several meters in extent before entering the atmosphere, fragmenting and exploding due to the unequal pressure on the leading side vs the trailing side (it pancaked and exploded)," Yeomans told SPACE.com in an email. "It is far too early to provide estimates of the energy released or provide a reliable estimate of the original size." [Photos of Russia's Meteor Fireball Blast]

Source: www.space.com...

Does anyone know if one of Russia's missiles intercepted the meteorite and broke it into pieces before impact on earth?

I'm thinking it would be damn near impossible for any missile defense system to intercept something travelling 33,000 mph.... Since most 'missile defense systems' are designed to intercept ICBM's, and the fastest 'missile' known to man, is probably the LGM-30G Minuteman III, which has a terminal phase velocity of around 15,000 mph... Close to half the speed the Russian meteorite was travelling.

Wouldn't happen.

Unless the object wasn't moving at 33,000 mph like the twin smoke trails suggest.

It was going too fast. All they could do is sit back and watch.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

The last airburst over a populated area was Indonesia in 2009 i believe. Although i believe they struck lucky in that the airburst happened too high to cause damage.

I may be wrong there though so please feel free to correct.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

edit on 15-2-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join