It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP! Living with Chronic Pain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Charmeine

do you have to worry about embolisms?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yes that's my worry, becoming addicted to pain killers. Not a life I want and I hope your struggle becomes easier for you. I'm hoping to find more natural ways (perhaps also less expensive) as I'm only 35! Thank you for the kind thought.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I was afraid you' d say you were afraid of needles >_< No worries though, they have a Tonic
. "ACV white grape juice" you''ll need: 1 cup of Organic ACV, 1 cup of Organic white grape juice, 2 cups of Organic Apple juice. Mix. 1-2 oz daily before a meal. Helped a dude with chronic pains in his legs. Allegedly.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by turboneon

Yes - it's a rare clotting disorder. My blood doesn't coagulate properly. The vein walls are thickening in my legs and constantly causing clotting which is causing the pain and cramps. Chronic clot at any time can develop into a PE (in the lungs) - and they can be fatal and happen without warning. Often in your sleep. So you imagine it creates quite a bit of anxiety.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Philosorapter

Funny! My physician put me on magnesium - the first round of blood work showed I was low on Vitamin D, magnesium and calcium, so we thought it was just that I was low on vitamins. Until we went for the ultrasound and found the clotting. Whole different story and kind of pain.

Needles are not my friend - with bad veins and slow blood - I actually passed out during my last lab test two weeks ago - 14 tubes of blood!!!! With needle still in hand.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Have you discussed a niacin (B3) regiment with your doctor? Niacin opens the blood vessels throughout your body and your skin gets all warm and itchy from the capillaries dilating. I am no doctor so i do not know in your specific case if that would help or not because of the clotting and embolism threat. It is an idea for you to look up.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by turboneon

Unfortunately not - I still have a few more tests to go through before deciding on treatment. My next test isn't until January 11 and I see my physician in a few days. Just trying to get by and see if I can find anything to help this week while I'm home. The hematologist may choose baby aspirin, or I may need to be on blood thinners. It just depends what all shows up in the lab work.

My next test is vascular disease, testing the actual veins and arteries. We also think it might be Rheumatoid Arthritis or another auto-immune disease of the like related to my blood condition.
edit on 26-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

I wish you the best of luck. Since you are fairly young are you going to try and find an alternative treatment after you have decided on a diagnosis?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Hi there, so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I can definitely relate..........
After a crushed pelvis, 3 broken ribes, shattered collar bone, and broken vertebrae (from a car accident); I have tried many natural and pharmaceutical pain and sleep remedies. I can share some of the things that have helped me.

Natural: Kava Kava, Valerian Root, Skullcap, Hops, Passionflower, Catnip Tea, Holy Basil, Lemon Balm, Blue Vervain, Wild Lettuce, White Willow and Bacopa (these herbs have either muscle relaxing or sleep inducing properties), EPSOM SALT BATHS with camphor essentail oil helps for good short term relief.

By Prescription:
Tizanadine/Zanaflex (muscle relaxer) by far has been the most sedating for me and I use it only at night.

Soma :is a muscle relaxer that I tried for two weeks.......while it really helped with pain it did not help with sleep and it can be habit forming so I opted out of this one.

Neurontin/Gabapentin is an anti-seizure medication that is prescribed for off label use to treat chronic neuropathic pain (burning, pins and needles type pain). I was on this for about six months and it helped with the buring pain from nerve damage. The down side is, if you take it in large doses during the day you will feel like a zombie. It will help with sleep though.

Etodolac: is a very strong anti-inflammatory medication, alot of times given in the ER for pain. It does help but is hard on the stomach so eating or drinking milk with it helps.

Because of your clotting disorder I would ask your doctor before trying the White Willow herb because it is similar to aspirin. Also WebMD has a good site for checking herbal supplements for interactions with other meds and for contraindications. If your not sure ask your doc.

A couple last idea's................
I am a Physical Therapy Assistant and Massage Therapist so I should mention a TENS Unit, Pool Therapy and
Massage Therapy specifically Trigger Point Therapy and Reflexology. Some insurance companies will cover massage for pain and if your doctor writes you a prescription for massage therapy or physical therapy with massage it should be covered under most policies.

I hope some of these suggestions will help, and that you find relief soon. Just know that many positive and healing thoughts are sent your way!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Both my parents have injuries which have left them with chronic pain. My mother is prescribed opiates and they work fairly well for her however she seems to have a personality which is so lo in addictive behavior that it's quite extraordinary which is of course not the norm and many many people cannot control themselves with a metered dosage of opiates. My father who is, by his own admission,, not able to control himself well with opiates, has chosen to go a more "herbal" route and this works well for him. I don't believe the herb in question can be openly discussed on ATS but it doesn't take a great leap in imagination to know of what I speak.

If you felt stoned by tramadol I can't imagine any opiate offering you the kind of existence that you would find comfortable as it is, to my knowledge, just about the weakest opiate agonist available. You may want to consider something like Lyrica which is prescribed for nerve pain and pain assosiated with fibromyalgia or perhaps something like gabapentin which is a mood stabalizer which is prescribed off label for nerve pain. A viable option may also be found in some type of NSAID, however these are counter indicated if you have any type of stomach or bleeding disorders.

Also, and though it is fairly novel to western medicine, Myrrh has been used for at least a thousand years in the east for what is termed stagnation of the blood. It also has proven analgesic properties.
www.herballegacy.com...

Good Luck, I hope you can find a way to ease your suffering.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Asprin to thin the blood might help. are you taking either of these 2 Heparin, Warfarin? Next time you at the doctors ask him about them.

Also include these in your diet.

The American Heart Association defines an anticoagulant as a medication that prevents blood from clotting. Anticoagulants are given to people who are at risk for blood clots, people with artificial heart valves, and people with atrial fibrillation. Common anticoagulants include Coumadin and heparin. According to RD411, some foods and supplements have anticoagulant properties and can affect blood clotting. If you are taking anticoagulants, you should avoid these foods unless a doctor says otherwise.

Ginger
Ginger is the underground stem of the Zingiber plant. It has been used for its medicinal properties in Asian cultures for thousands of years. Ginger is most commonly recommended as an aid for stomach upset like nausea and vomiting. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, preliminary studies show ginger may help prevent blood from clotting. They go on to say that it is too early to make firm recommendations to heart patients, but these affects may help protect against blood vessel blockage that can lead to heart attack and stroke.

Garlic
Garlic is another food that has been used for its medicinal purposes for thousands of years. The University of Maryland Medical Center says garlic is recommended to help prevent heart disease. In addition to decreasing bad cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol, garlic helps prevent platelet aggregation, also known as blood clotting. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, allicin appears to be the chemical property in garlic with the anticoagulant powers.

Vitamin E
Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin naturally found in some foods. There are many health claims related to vitamin E, most notably its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. According to the Office of Dietary Supplements, vitamin E has been shown to prevent or delay the onset of coronary heart disease by preventing the formation of blood clots. Food sources of vitamin E include almonds, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, peanuts, safflower oil, spinach and mangoes.

Fish Oil
Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, and halibut contain an essential fatty acid called omega 3 fatty acid. Recently, studies have shown that omega 3 fatty acids reduce the risk of heart disease, says the University of Maryland Medical Center. The American Heart Association recommends eating fish twice a week for heart health. In addition to lowering triglyceride levels and blood pressure, omega 3 fatty acids in fish contain anticoagulant properties that slow down the development of blood clots to help prevent and treat atherosclerosis. Read more:

Also their is a treasure trove of information about Anti-Coagulation here especially diet wise.
HERE

Considering your condition eating a normal diet might not be the best thing since you haven't got a normal body.

Also luck for you a glass of good qulity red wine is good for you a day may be even 2 with a meal, especially if it has got phenols and polyphenols. even though the blood thinning effects are fairly minimal it all adds up with a healthy diet, you could give chewing willow bark a go as it also has blood thinning properties.

Have you tried an exclusion diet??
This is something that most people should try once in their life, it is basically a diet in which you take out certain foods to see how your body reacts to it, I know when i tried it lactose wheat and red meats made my skin quite bad in the form a acne and blemishes. But every one is different, may be it will easy your pain.

Lastly drink plenty of water the more you drink the thinner the blood gets.

Also for leg cramps my mother always find that Indian Tonic Water helps a lot.

Hope this helps.

edit on 26-12-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Charmeine
reply to post by beezzer

Could you please share them anyway? Might help someone else....

Sure! I have implants all through my left leg. Artificial joint, coupled with repaired ligaments and tendons.

Fought opiate addiction so now I use homeopathic balms (actually one is working great from a fellow ATS'er who sent it to me) I use asprin/ibuprophen and actually physical exercise helps.

Believe it or not, physical exercise strengthens portions of the body that compensate for damaged parts. Now I don't know if that'll help your condition, but I do hope you feel better.

beez

I wish I could give you dozens and dozens of stars for that post. It is so very true.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I too suffer from chronic pain. I gave up asking for relief from the doctors because they think that you just want drugs. Exercise and proper diet does go a long way in helping. I am on aspirin therapy for my heart and do not take any ibuprofin as that combination is very bad for your liver in high doses.

( I havent drank alcohol in years )
edit on 12/26/2012 by bourbon2nite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I have DDD in my lower back. I have yet to try this but i hear going on a fast for a week or more helps repair damaged body parts. Most the energy the body uses is for digesting food. if you stop eating, the body stops using its energy on digesting food and foceses on repairing the body. Its worth a try for me and after the holidays im going to try it.

PS, im not a doctor so do so at your own risk.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charmeine
So this may sound a bit like a pity fest of one but I'm super bummed out after having to cut my Christmas dinner short with family after swelling up like a balloon. I want to sleep, exhausted but I'm in too much pain at the moment.

I'm a complicated case. I have a rare blood clotting disorder and am suffering from Chronic Clot at the moment (bad veins, the vein walls are thickening, constantly and causing clotting). If you have ever had a charlie horse, or pins and needles in your legs, this is what I'm feeling all the time. ALL the time. My doc put me on XXX name here but all it did was make me stoned. Hot baths don't help with the pain - it seems nothing does.

I also have osteoarthritis which is painful at best of times.

So - my question is - for those with chronic pain how the 'eff do you deal with it on bad days?
Do you take herbs? (please don't mention the use of medications or drugs)
Do you find movement and exercise helps?
Home remedies?

Seriously, what do you folks do to help with chronic pain?

Edited not to break ats rules
edit on 26-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

I am sorry for your pain.
Many questions here:

FIRST: ARE YOU on any blood thinners?? That would be most important info and needed, based on just my knowledge of blood clots. You understand that if a blood clot gets loose and enters your heart, brain or lungs it *CAN* be fatal....Dont let it cause you too much anxiety unless you pass out, feel fluttering in your chest, or difficulty breathing! Keep your legs mildly elevated and do not do too much moving around unless your doctor gives you the *OKAY* Call them.

SECOND: Stay away from the hot baths, it can make the tingling worse. (My experience) and can loosen a blood clot
Also NO massage! Not with an active blood clot!! But TED hose may or may not help.

THIRD: Some anti epileptic meds like Neurontin helps me a lot, helps lessen the tingling sensations of the nerves.

*Disclaimer* You have left out a lot of information obviously, I am not a doctor but a nurse and cannot give any medical advice, only my own experience.

For the record I deal with pain everyday, on bad days I just cry. I use a lot of ice packs for pain but your situation is different! I will not take NARCOTICS, and if I were you I would stay away from them too!!

If you were also a diabetic that would cause a lot of vessel damage too. What about PAD? (Peripheral Artery Disease??)

I have osteoarthritis too and take glucosamine
it is VERY helpful for me.

Calcium, potassium and magnesium are very important so make sure your levels are checked because if your electrolytes are out of whack, it could cause charlie horse spasms....not to mention a heart condition. Watch your blood pressure, and check it daily!

Since you state its a rare disease I suspect something wrong with your proteins in your DNA......

Best of Luck! I know pain trust me. I have it every day.....

Hugs

edit on 26-12-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-12-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Sorry for your pain - I've worked with chronic pain patients in the past at the U of Miami Comprehensive Pain & Rehab Center. Dr. Rosomoff, a neurosurgeon, had it figured out. He's gone now but his concept remains.

The center incorporated a multidisciplinary, aggressive, noninvasive approach: Physical and Occupational Therapy, strength & conditioning, psychology, biofeedback, relaxation, psychiatry, physiatry, group sessions, and reduction of narcotic medicines.

Consult a physician prior to implementing anything new in your life.

My recommendation would be light cardio exercise for increased blood flow. Cryotherapy (ice packs) and limb elevation post exercise. Ice is the best modality that provides immediate and lasting physiological benefits. Ibuprofen for pain (and, similar to aspirin, has platelet lubricating properties/anti-clotting).

Best to you.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
I have DDD in my lower back. I have yet to try this but i hear going on a fast for a week or more helps repair damaged body parts. Most the energy the body uses is for digesting food. if you stop eating, the body stops using its energy on digesting food and foceses on repairing the body. Its worth a try for me and after the holidays im going to try it.

PS, im not a doctor so do so at your own risk.

Your body requires a minimal amount of calories before it begins to *eat itself* its called BMR for basal metabolic rate.

If you starve yourself, the mitochondria and ATP (for cellular energy and healing) gets used up FIRST in your brain
Its not good to fast for more than a day or two....

ATP and Energy

Since this has a lot to do with proteins and this OP has a rare disorder I would call the doctor before trying any fasting!

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

The thing called "charlie horse" - those kind of cramps - is usually just a symptom of dehydration (the body will move water from the muscles to more important life-sustaining areas). Hopefully you drink lots of water, unless a doctor says it will make your condition worse. If not, drink away for a few days and see if that helps. I usually down at least a gallon a day, more on most days. I used to get cramps all the damn time when I was a teenager and later, and then since I've started really hydrating I haven't had one. H2O is my BFF.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
My wife has a minor case of cerebral palsy, would never tell by looking at her except when she walks, her back and legs constantly hurt and nothing she has taken has ever helped until she met me and i got her to try a natural herbal remedy in the edible form, and even the usual way and she says she has never had that much relief. Her pain is muscular as where yours seems more focused on the nervous system so im not sure how much it could help you. She wouldn't go back now she feels to good says only time she can actually feel relaxed. Best of luck to you, and be safe if you go the pharmaceutical route can do bad things to your body and also many are highly addictive.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I replaced the opiates with TRAMADOL br name, and it has helped somewhat with the side effects of the opiates i took.the stuff is pricey, and new so i dont know what long term problems may result yet...but the last years has been better than the one before by a marked degree....
My condition is spinal degeneration from previous injury......
i use an unmentionable natual pain reliever as well for that electricity down the legs feeling.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join