It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Flat Earth theory, With Interviews from believers

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

I'm neither for nor against this theory.....I keep an open mind and constantly ask questions, because that is how the truth reveals itself.

The truth has revealed itself but many can't accept it as they would lose their status as "open minded".

All the facts prove the Earth is a sphere. The arguments against are fallacious or sci-fi fantasy.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
The arrogance on this site just increases by the day.

I love how everybody is all of the sudden a Spherical Earth Expert.

People love being right.....even if they know they are wrong.

Questions are how we find the truth. Those that stop asking questions have become complacent in what they believe and have therefore stopped learning / attaining knowledge.

They feel they know all there is to know, which is why they make assumptions based on Information OTHER people discovered 100's of years ago.

99% of you CAN'T prove the OP wrong....and you know it.

Nor can anybody 100% prove him right.

All that we " KNOW " is based in THEORIES..........Not facts.

I'm neither for nor against this theory.....I keep an open mind and constantly ask questions, because that is how the truth reveals itself.

We don't determine truth.....Truth already exists.
edit on 13-9-2012 by LucidDreamer85 because: (no reason given)

I proved him wrong

his reply was "prove the earth has a molten core"

c'mon

this is 2nd grade nonsense

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
So the flat-earthers believe that everyone who has ever flown or used any type of boat/ship; throughout history, have all just agreeably used common travel charts?
i mean we are to believe that no one will ever attempt to travel a non-standard direction and realize they either should have found known land but instead are in some vast empty ocean area?

cartographers would go insane trying to match each other's work, even today.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
For those who still have difficulty, read this. Feel free to try to debunk it, although you can't, but try anyway

www.physlink.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoppy1

The above is how a round earth eclipse happens, not moon phases.

LOL! Your absolutely correct, after re-reading that I realize in my flurry of hurried posting I managed to jumble up what I was talking about. Someone had mentioned eclipses earlier and I was mixing everything up into a paragraph of nonsense.

My correction still supports the idea, however, as the phases of the moon are still caused by the orbit of the moon around the Earth, and the Earth around the sun. If the moon was a self illuminated object, and didn't reflect the sun's light, then angle of the moon relative to the sun wouldn't matter. The light side of the moon wouldn't change to an angle we couldn't see the entirety of. We are still seeing the entire full moon that we usually do, it's just dark, and it shouldn't be dark if the moon emits it's own light. Not to mention the lack of explanation on how rock is able to emit such powerful light.

I appreciate the heads up on my mistake, btw.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Flat earth circumnavigation is a big circle, similar to round earth except flat. North Pole is the center of the circle, the south pole is the outside edge of the circle. Your compass points north, as you sail east. You keep going and have made a circle.

Except people have traveled the south pole. If Antarctica wasn't a landmass, but instead a string of land that surrounded the entire "disc" of the flat Earth, as you suggest then Antarctica would be HUGE.

Just visualize what you suggest. take the Earth, with north pole in the middle, all of the Earth's land mass distributed around that in a circle, as you suggest. With Antarctica surrounding everything on the outside edge. This would make the ring of land larger than even the circumference of the Earth.

People have been on Antarctica since the 50s non-stop. If what you say is true, then it would be impossible to venture INTO Antarctica, as it's not a landmass with the shape we are all led to believe, but a thin ring around the entire known Earth. Considering people HAVE ventured INTO the interior of Antarctica, we know this is not the case at all.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oouthere
Wow, this thread rather reminds me of the Pentagon no plane theory. Lots of physical evidence but the critical thinking skills have been eliminated and turned into a religion of sorts.

Rich

I would say they are similar, but even though I disagree with the no-plane-at-the-pentagon people, they still have more of a leg to stand on than flat Earthers. Only a tiny tiny portion of the worlds population were actually present when the plane hit the Pentagon. Only 1 piece of video has ever been released. Us people that weren't there when it happened can ONLY rely on a single awful video, and the witness testimony of a few people. So that leaves a lot of room for other theories, as there isn't a ton of proof available to the average citizen.

Where as the Earth being round isn't something that can only been proved by a small number of people, everyone on Earth can easily tell through their own observation that the Earth is round.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
The arrogance on this site just increases by the day.

I love how everybody is all of the sudden a Spherical Earth Expert.

People love being right.....even if they know they are wrong.

Questions are how we find the truth. Those that stop asking questions have become complacent in what they believe and have therefore stopped learning / attaining knowledge.

They feel they know all there is to know, which is why they make assumptions based on Information OTHER people discovered 100's of years ago.

99% of you CAN'T prove the OP wrong....and you know it.

Nor can anybody 100% prove him right.

All that we " KNOW " is based in THEORIES..........Not facts.

We don't determine truth.....Truth already exists.
edit on 13-9-2012 by LucidDreamer85 because: (no reason given)

It is no more arrogant to insist the Earth is round than it is to insist an Elephant is larger than a flea, or that 2+2=4. These are basic observable facts.

And you are wrong with you say 99% of the people can't prove the idea wrong. We all can. There are tons of little ways to prove to ones self the roundness of the Earth.

As I said before, I have an open mind, and I bow to the possibility that many of the things I BELIEVE to be true possibly are not.

The roundness of the Earth isn't one of them. It's a fact, it's not something I BELIEVE, it's something that IS

If I made a thread that said "Elephants are smaller than fleas" would you suggest that I made a good point and people should be open to my opinion? Of course not. Because fleas are tiny, Elephants are huge, there is ZERO question and ZERO argument about which one is larger. So there is nothing to gain intellectually from exploring alternative views on the matter. Just like the flat Earth. It's an observable fallacy, there is nothing to gain from exploring such an idea, because it's just flat out wrong, it's not an opinion, it's a fact, just like the size of a flea compared to an Elephant.

Your definition of keeping an open mind is evidently different than most people's. It seems your definition is just completely giving up and not trying to make sense of anything.

If you are crossing the street, and you see a huge bus driving towards you at a fast speed do you say "hey, I should get out of the way, because that bus is coming at me really fast and might hit me" or do you say "hmm, I'll keep an open mind on this, maybe that bus REALLY isn't actually there! Maybe buses don't even exist! Maybe I'm not even standing in the street! BAM!" Then the bus hits you.

Keeping an open mind means that you are able to look at things from different perspectives. It means you are willing to admit you are wrong on the things you BELIEVE. It means you look for, and consider, evidence and try to find the truth even if the truth isn't what you thought it was in the first place. An open mind doesn't mean that you just blindly reject anything and everything and float through life not thinking anything is actually happening.

Again I ask the question, and I'd love to hear a response from you, because NOBODY else who has the same opinion as you has replied to my question so far.

If I made a thread that said "Fleas are larger than grown Elephants" what would your response be? Do you honestly think that keeping an open mind means to disregard the obvious? Should you even debate the idea of a flea being larger than an Elephant? Why? It's obviously not true. Open mindedness doesn't suggest fleas being larger than Elephants. Open mindedness is a state of being where you are open to alternative IDEAS and THEORIES not where you question FACTS simply for the sake of questioning them.

So would you? Would you consider the idea that fleas are larger than Elephants as a legitimate debate to have? Why or why not?
edit on 13-9-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

The above is how a round earth eclipse happens, not moon phases.

LOL! Your absolutely correct, after re-reading that I realize in my flurry of hurried posting I managed to jumble up what I was talking about. Someone had mentioned eclipses earlier and I was mixing everything up into a paragraph of nonsense.

My correction still supports the idea, however, as the phases of the moon are still caused by the orbit of the moon around the Earth, and the Earth around the sun. If the moon was a self illuminated object, and didn't reflect the sun's light, then angle of the moon relative to the sun wouldn't matter. The light side of the moon wouldn't change to an angle we couldn't see the entirety of. We are still seeing the entire full moon that we usually do, it's just dark, and it shouldn't be dark if the moon emits it's own light. Not to mention the lack of explanation on how rock is able to emit such powerful light.

I appreciate the heads up on my mistake, btw.

How do you know the moon is rock. NASA was caught giving away fake moon rock, it was found to be petrified wood.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I see the moon hoax disease is contagious

How do you know the moon is rock. NASA was caught giving away fake moon rock, it was found to be petrified wood.

what do I win ?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gravitor

Your response seems to read like it's more on par with something that belongs in the Philosophy and Metaphysics forum and you haven't put out any real substance that's up for debate in this particular thread. There's nothing wrong with sharing ideas. I read through those kinds of threads often because I feel like I learn new things all the time and I like reading the different ideas being put out there. But I don't usually reply unless something catches my interest and I want to read more.

I was under the impression you wanted to debate the fact that the earth is spherical, not flat. My mistake, sorry.
edit on 13-9-2012 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Have you been to the moon? Or do you take someone elses word that they have?

Have you looked at the evidence of fraud in the Apollo missions. Or do you see the pictures and believe everything they tell you?

The earth may appear round, but when you look at minute details and think about it. If you have an open mind you will see that not everything fits in the neat little box of round earth theory. You may never see the truth through all of the delusions. I used to think the earth was round, but I spent time investigating. Before I held the idea of a flat earth in contempt.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Have you looked at the evidence of fraud in the Apollo missions. Or do you see the pictures and believe everything they tell you?

The earth may appear round, but when you look at minute details and think about it. If you have an open mind you will see that not everything fits in the neat little box of round earth theory. You may never see the truth through all of the delusions. I used to think the earth was round, but I spent time investigating. Before I held the idea of a flat earth in contempt.

I haven't been to the moon, but I can see it clearly form my front door.

I have flown around the world though. That is around the world. Like millions of others.

So your point is moot. Pity the fools who think the earth is flat....

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
flat-earthers think that when a "glober" thinks he is traveling around the earth, that he is instead lost and is traveling in a giant circle.
even though modern GPS technology wouldnt allow you to randomly turn all over the place if you intended to fly straight.

but i guess that is part of the cover up. all maps and GPS' and charts were made to trick us into seeing the illusion.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hoppy1

I'm still trying to figure out how NASA faking the moon landing has any bearing on the shape of the earth.

I've also read some FE theories as to why we see a curvature of the earth in amateur videos, with the claim being that the sun shines in a single spot like a flashlight, so the edge of the light beam is creating the illusion of a curve of the planet.

Then how do you explain images of the earth at night, when the giant flashlight isn't hitting it? It still looks pretty spherical to me.

Oh, and how do you explain how meteorologists can predict weather patterns? How can they give local weather reports with independent (not NASA owned) satellite imagery that can track severe storms like hurricanes and other things like the jet stream and national/global temperatures?

Have you gone out and gotten yourself a telescope and actually done some sky watching and zoomed in on the moon? Do you think NASA is the only one to ever photograph the surface of the moon? Because you'd be wrong.

Amateur Moon Photos

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Well, when I look at the moon through my telescope, it looks like rocky material.

When I take pictures of it:

Again, it looks like rocky material.

Spectral Analysis of the moon seems to help confirm that it's made of rock.

Gravitational interaction with the earth and ocean tides from a mass the size of the moon, helps indicate it's density........which indicates it does indeed seem to be made out of rock.

All without having to go there.

How about that?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Oh wait, I've a question for the Flat Earthers. Not sure if it's been covered here or not yet.

If the Earth is flat........then what causes Lunar Eclipses ?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Nope, I have never been to the moon. I believe that the moon landings are real, however, but I'm open to the possibility that they were a hoax. I highly doubt it, and don't believe it at all, but because I'm open minded, and have no direct personal proof we did go, I often read about the various hoax theories. I explore the possibility, but have yet to see anything that convinces me that it's fake.

But that has no relation to the subject at hand, which is the shape/form of the Earth. The idea of a round Earth has been around long before NASA, hell long before the USA was even a country. The legitimacy of NASA just doesn't hold any consequence to a round Earth.

As far as the round Earth (it's not a theory) everything DOES in fact fit into the idea. There is absolutely nothing that contradicts the fact that the Earth is round. Upon first finding out about these flat Earth people years ago, I reacted in the same way I did about the hollow Earth people. I was intrigued. I read what they propose, compared to it what I personally know, and it doesn't fit. While the hollow Earth people propose something that's pretty hard to prove wrong, the flat Earth people propose something that's incredibly Easy to prove wrong.

Which is why, because I'm open minded, even though I disagree with Hollow Earth Theory, and am not convinced that it's true, I still am open to the possibility and am willing to consider any new evidence that the supporters of the theory put forward.

But that's wholly different than the flat Earth theory. Because I can very very easily prove the Earth is round. Every rebuttal that the flat Earth people give to such proofs makes zero sense whatsoever. For example, the explanation they give for why the sun sets. They say the sun just goes off into the distance so far we can't see it. Which is a completely fallacy for two reasons.

First reason, it's easy to observe that the sun doesn't just get smaller and smaller. It retains it's whole size and shape, but with just less of it visible. When the sun is half way set, for instance, you can clearly see the top half of the sun. It's a semi-circle. It's not just a much smaller complete circle, as it would be if it was disappearing due to getting too far away to see.

Second reason, is that when the sun doesn't shine where I'm at, it does shine on the other side of the globe. The distance between my location and the location of a place where the sun is/isn't shining is nowhere near far enough away to have the sun disappear due to distance. The East and West coast of the USA for instance. One coast can be in day time, the other in night time (in reference to illumination) at the same time. The USA is nowhere near large enough from coast to coast to have the sun disappear from one side, but visible from the other side. It is however large enough that the curvature of the Earth is able to obscure the sun from one side of the US.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Oh wait, I've a question for the Flat Earthers. Not sure if it's been covered here or not yet.

If the Earth is flat........then what causes Lunar Eclipses ?

I KIND of asked this question already, although I totally fudged up and referred to the phases of the moon instead of an eclipse. Absolutely no answer from the FE people on either though.

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join