It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billionaire to start own Jurassic Park?!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
SunshineCoastDaily

Clive Palmer, Australian Billionaire is reportedly looking into cloning Dinosaur DNA and starting his own jurassic park-type resort!

The controversial billionaire is rumoured to be planning to clone a dinosaur from DNA so he can set it free in a Jurassic Park-style area at his new Palmer Resort in Coolum.

Mr Palmer has, apparently, been in deep discussion with the people who successfully cloned Dolly the sheep to bring his dinosaur vision to life.

If Mr Palmer can resurrect the Titanic, what is to stop him from trying with another of his other alleged passions - dinosaurs?

This is just one of the rumours circulating about Mr Palmer's plans for Coolum.

And while the concept sounds like a joke, it apparently comes from a source close to Mr Palmer's inner circle.

Now, while this actually not fully admitted by Palmer, it reportedly comes from a very close source AND Palmer is known to come out and put any rumors to rest quickly, like he did recently when it was reported that he may build a skyrail up to the top of mount Coolum.. so maybe this has some credibility?! He hasn't come out to deny it yet.,.

SO, what do you think of this?! Good idea? Bad Idea? What type do you think he would clone, IF he could? Do you think there should be regulations?! Maybe no flying dinosaurs?!

haha seems weird to even speculate on the possibility of this, but it potentially viable!

I think it would be cool, of course i will believe it when i see it, BUT, I think i would definitely make the trip to wherever this resort is to check out cloned dinosaurs.. of course, i'll wait for it to be open for a while just incase.. .. don't wanna be running around being chased by raptors and sneaking thorugh 10,000 volt electric fences! lol

*I was looking for a clip of the scene where the team watches the 'miracle of cloning' video in the auditorium before going to watch the dinosaurs hatch, but couldn't find it on youtube, so here is as clip of when they first see dinosaurs.. just for some fun

Thoughts?!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
With great power comes great responsibility.

I really hope we don't screw up our entire ecosystem with genetic modification and re-introduction of previously extinct species.

I say hope because we are only now starting to understand the impacts such things can cause.

And the people that own these concepts have no incentive and no moral compass to guide them towards doing good with it.

Yes we could potentially free ourselves from hunger and consciously co-create entirely new species, but we could also destroy our environment before we know enough to tinker with it safely.

Baby steps.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
LOL

I hope the velociraptor is first..... then maybe dragons follow by mermaids. why bring stuff back when we could just create new stuff?

modified babies

modified foods

Animals!@

Weather

engineered engineering!

join forces in giving the stupid people more money hoping the next movie brought to life isidiocracy
edit on 1/8/2012 by blu3nowh3r3 because: added links

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I always love the concept of Jurassic Park since I first watched the movie.

I believe a lot of the negative realities depicted in the film could come to pass if this idea was realized.

In the words of Jeff Goldblum from the movie “ Nature always finds a way” and to bring such a species could have a lot of unintended consequences on Human culture and nature as well.

Environmentalists and Animal Activists will be all over this as well.

However, I would be first in line to ride the T-REX

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I think this YT video sums up exactly how I feel!!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I detest the idea of cloning any living being.. that being said I wouldn't protest ethical organ cloning in the name of saving lives and the betterment of human life..

This is just exploitation for entertainment and/or money. Yeah, we could learn some stuff from this. Doesn't mean its right. The idea of cloned beings disgusts me. Partly because I believe in god and in souls. Every inch of my being screams out against cloning I can't stress this enough..
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Can't see that prospect ending well. For us, or the environment.
Not saying it wouldn't be cool to see, but they are extinct for a reason, right?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Id love it if it happened

If its on an island cant see how it would be a danger to us doubt t rex can swim lol.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
That would definitely make a place for some popular webcams. But what would you feed a T-Rex?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
First of all...didn't end well in the movie...

Second, what if they bring back some terrible virus or bacteria that is in the DNA? I don't know if it's possible, but I'm a great believer in Murphy's Law.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
hmmm the perfect future weapon of deniability

"oh sorry we didnt know that ship had a t-rex on board,
nor did we realise it was headed up the strait of homuz for iran"

"its a shame about that president guy he seemed nice"
"but did you see the blood!!! was so f****** cool!!!"

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This has some of the cloning in it:

"When Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down the pirates don't eat the tourists"
edit on 1-8-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
DNA gets destroyed. Wont last 10,000 years. Unless the earth is really 6,000 years... This is just another publicity stunt. He loves the press. Greedy bastard he is. And he is!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Summerwind

Pedophiles?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta

SO, what do you think of this?! Good idea? Bad Idea?

Sure, in the beginning it's all oohs and aahs, and then there's just running and screaming.

Bad idea......

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I like the idea, but, at the same time I like the Idea of crazy Billionaires spending their money hand over fist on passionate projects involving the betterment of the world for EVERYONE, especially those who live at the the very extreme ends of meager means.

Spend $1 Billion on a pet dinosaur?
or
Spend $1 Billion on energy independent housing for the poorest of poor without means with sustainable living jobs at businesses created to employ them responsibly and ethically?
or
Investing $1 Billion into business model and social engineering and political engineering solutions that go toward putting an end to poverty, as well as raising the quality of living with those on the margin.

I'd have to go with something that helps lots of people over some selfish fantasy fulfillment.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
So long as Sam Neill is alive and kicking I don't see a problem with this idea.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
DNA gets destroyed. Wont last 10,000 years. Unless the earth is really 6,000 years... This is just another publicity stunt. He loves the press. Greedy bastard he is. And he is!

Theoretically, it's possible to back-engineer avian DNA and create Dino-DNA.
However, there's lots of steps in between, and much we don't know...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
ha! Yesterday in my biology class, we were discussing cloning. Jurassic park got brought up.
I said it if was done, dinosaurs would probably be a reality show on the History Channel or Animal Planet.

I think it's a bad idea. As Jurassic Park has taught us, "life will find a way" and there is no way to control a species. Additionally, we don't have their food sources or their ecosytem. If they did survive, they could quickly become invasive.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by collietta
As Jurassic Park has taught us, "life will find a way" and there is no way to control a species.

Try telling that to all the species that have become extinct as a result of mankind's endeavours.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join