It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drinking Tea 'Increases Cancer Risk'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Drinking large amounts of tea could increase the risk of prostate cancer, research suggests

Scientists found that more than seven cups a day raised the chances of men developing the disease by 50%.

But whether the link is causal or due to coincidence is still unknown. Study leader Dr Kashif Shafique, from the Institute of Health and Wellbeing at the University of Glasgow said: "Most previous research has shown either no relationship with prostate cancer for black tea or some preventive effect of green tea. "We don't know whether tea itself is a risk factor or if tea drinkers are generally healthier and live to an older age when prostate cancer is more common anyway."

The Scottish researchers tracked the health of more than 6,000 men aged between 21 and 75, over a period of 37 years.

Participants provided information about their tea, coffee and alcohol consumption, smoking habits and general health.
Just under a quarter of the men were heavy tea drinkers. Of these, 6.4% developed prostate cancer during the course of the study.
Those drinking more than seven cups of tea a day were 50% more at risk than those who drank no tea or up to three cups.

The findings are reported in the journal Nutrition and Cancer.
Dr Shafique added: "We found that heavy tea drinkers were more likely not to be overweight, be non-alcohol drinkers and have healthy cholesterol levels.
"However, we did adjust for these differences in our analysis and still found that men who drank the most tea were at greater risk of prostate cancer."
Each year almost 41,000 men in the UK are diagnosed with prostate cancer and around 11,000 die from the disease.

Men taking part in the study were drinking traditional black tea rather than green tea, which has been shown to have anti-cancer properties.
Black tea contains far fewer flavanols, protective plant chemicals, than green tea. But the researchers said they knew of no ingredient in black tea that might promote prostate cancer. Drinking large quantities of tea had no link to more aggressive forms of the disease.

This is getting pathetic now, it's like we can't do anything these days without the risk of getting cancer, I'm a big tea drinker myself and it's almost a ritual to have 5 or 6 cups a day, especially when I'm at work, it's part of being English! I'm sure I read a thread saying tea is better than water to drink, I think it's just sky news and their fear mongering, I think the person put it perfect on the comment section.

THIS JUST IN: BREAKING NEWS. 100% of people who develop cancer are beIieved to breathe oxygen and drink water. Study has shown then every single person studdied developed cancer with in a Very short time after either drinking water of inhaling oxygen. Government recomends holding your breathe and not drinking water ever again..... Its ridiculous, if you avoided every single thing that increased cancer risk life would be the dullest experience ever. Even more dreary then it ia now.

Tea cancer risk
edit on 19/6/2012 by DeyTookErJeobs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
That is why Americans switched to coffee!

Drink coffee, and lots of it!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
well thats us in the british nation done for then

looks like it'll be back to the pre tea days of 8 pints of ale a day

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Omg! This cancer crap is gettin beyound a joke! I can call BS on this one straight away, because there are no statistics to say british men have prostate cancer more than other. Us brits love our tea and coffee.

One paper the other week printed a pull out page of no less than 600 house hold items, and food that cause cancer, its like they *want* us to be afraid of *everything*

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DeyTookErJeobs

OH wow they disinformation scientist agents are really aggressive lately!!

im not talking about DeyTookErJeobs, ( your cool man you cool ^_^ )

im talking about the scientists that the THREAD is talking about in OP's original post.

my theory is that the government is getting mad that people are drinking tea and getting all healthy, because of all the anti-oxidants, and want to scare everyone away from something that may REDUCE the risk for cancer!!!

i think "they" want us to have cancer, because that makes them rich rich rich...

i personally don't like black tea, blechh.....

but i like green tea, and i think its healthier, but that's just my opinion.

hey government, you know what im going to do now? im going to drink some green tea, and then im going to take vitamin C suppliments, and then im going to drink pomegranate juice, and then im going to drink MORE green tea.

take THAT government, and im going to make all that tea with fluoride free water!!

ha-haha-hahahhaha!!! TROLOLOLO!!! get out of my life government, you guys are evil

/rant.

this post was not directed towards anyone in this thread, and more or less directed towards the disinformation agents (the scientists ) and the "they" (the evil secret government secrety dudes) or something.

peace.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I wish they would just be honest with us and simply say they don't know what causes cancer because they really don't. Everyone has cancer cells in them and they simply just don't know with 100% certainty what causes them to "turn on" and actually become cancer. Environment, genetics, diet?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Omg! This cancer crap is gettin beyound a joke! I can call BS on this one straight away, because there are no statistics to say british men have prostate cancer more than other. Us brits love our tea and coffee.

One paper the other week printed a pull out page of no less than 600 house hold items, and food that cause cancer, its like they *want* us to be afraid of *everything*

exactly! they want to keep everyone afraid, and crazy, on the edge!

they want every single last individual to *snap* so they can lock them up, and put them away.

they want to narrow down the population so that only those with lots of patience for crazy unfair stuff all the time are left over (new world order theory)

they want to "tame us" and break us, and then "domesticate us" until we are nice and cute and obedient, over a very long period of time.

its kind of what has been naturally happening to the human race for a long time, but they want to do it in a harsh and unnatural way, they want to rush it, and control everyone.

ever see that t.v. documentary where that team of people in russia continuously domesticated the most docile badgers or cats or something?

every generation they were breed, they were more docile and easier to control, and stop biting their handlers all together.
edit on 19-6-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Submarines

so am guessin the U.S know this and they said no more tea just coffee. a long time ago

lol

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravon300

Originally posted by Submarines

so am guessin the U.S know this and they said no more tea just coffee. a long time ago

lol

i think their plan might be to make everyone drink more coffee, so that they DO get cancer.

i think way too much coffee is bad for the body,
psshh,
too much of anything is bad for the body.

green tea has lots of antioxidants in it as well, and they want people to drink LESS so they get less healthy.

or something crazy along the lines ( its possible? )

peace.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Haha thanks man.

I've always believed that they are suppressing the cure for cancer, if you think about it it's far more profitable if you charge people to have multiple trips to the hospital just to treat it instead of curing it in one and having no more money coming in, as they say 'money makes the world go round'

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If this story was true all of Asia would be dead by now.

Disinfo.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Black tea (eg. common British tea, Lipton) is high acidic in nature.
Coffee, beer and liquor are in the same category.

Green tea, herb tea and ginger tea are alkaline.
www.trans4mind.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeyTookErJeobs

Haha thanks man.

I've always believed that they are suppressing the cure for cancer, if you think about it it's far more profitable if you charge people to have multiple trips to the hospital just to treat it instead of curing it in one and having no more money coming in, as they say 'money makes the world go round'

i agree, im sure they have the cure for everything.

*hug*

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by wisdomnotemotion
Black tea (eg. common British tea, Lipton) is high acidic in nature.
Coffee, beer and liquor are in the same category.

Green tea, herb tea and ginger tea are alkaline.
www.trans4mind.com...

green tea and ginger tea are excellent.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx

Disinfo.

im adding you as a friend.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx

Disinfo.

There is a big difference. Black tea (eg. Lipton) is highly acidic is the common drink among British.

Asians (Chinese, Japanese) consume green tea and herb tea, and they are alkaline in nature.
www.trans4mind.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by wisdomnotemotion

M'kay.

I didn't know that.

As a serious tea drinker, sincerely, thanks for the info.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

EXACTLY TO BOTH OF YA ! Then Obama makes the Monsanto VP the czar of the FDA,,,,our food sucks, thankful fo health food stores,,,and they as well have GMO stuff,,,,EVERYTHING HAS CRAP IN IT in a regular grocery,,cigarettes are filled with chemicals,,everyone is overmedicated..black tea is an herb right? theres no tellin ,im sure too much of certain herbs are not good............................Im goin to the beach to snorkel and forget how screwed up things are..........watch there be a fish kill at the jetties,my luck
edit on 19-6-2012 by avatard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Black tea is also very high in fluoride. Could be the issue..

www.emaxhealth.com...

When prepared with fluoride infused water.. not good.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I rather believe in the observed events in some cultures who has been drinking tea for thousands of years. Cancer became predominant recently.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join