It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC's Snyderman: "It's Pro-Science To Abort Children With Genetic Defects"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
That doesn't make any sense. People with severe disabilities rarely have offspring anyway. Wouldn't you want to keep the parents from procreating then?

What are the recommended guidelines for determining undesireable traits, this is a slippery slope. The film Gattaca comes to mind and I wonder is being near-sighted warrants extermination. How about red hair? Left handedness? etc.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
On one hand, I understand the feelings that ideas like this could go way overboard and that we could eventually live in a world like Gattica. But on the other hand, I also understand that sometimes the impairments can be so severe that it would probably have been better had the child not been born.

I say all of that as someone who survived cancer at age 15. I am incredibly grateful for the treatments and care I received, and that I was able to graduate high school and college on time, but sometimes I do think about what cost my treatments came at. Even with amazing insurance, all of the treatments and doctors visits nearly bankrupted my parents (causing the a lot of stress), and the "cure" has led to many long-term side effects that will be around for awhile. On top of that, my odds of a secondary cancer are at nearly 100%. My point behind all of that, is was it worth it? Was all of that pain and suffering endured during treatments, and all that I continue to endure, and am guaranteed to endure, worth the few moments where I'm "normal?" What about the strain on my parents? They'd never trade me for the world, but it still makes me wonder.

Its not a pleasant thought, but its still in the back of my mind. I loved life before and I love it even more now that I've been given a second chance, but it goes back to at what cost to me and those around me. With this in mind, I can easily understand why prospective parents would choose to terminate a pregnancy that would most likely result in a child with high defects. When I say this I'm not talking about things like Down's or even most in the Autism spectrum, but the truly debilitating diseases and defects that will permanently alter the life of the parents and the child in the most extreme way. I am not for terminating the pregnancies that will result in a child that needs some form of therapy or extra care for part of their lives, but for those that are so far at the edge of disfigurement and retardation that it simply isn't worth it.

At the end of the day, though, this really isn't any of my business. I won't fault someone for terminating a pregnancy like what I've talked about, but I also would never judge a person that chose to care for their child no matter how much care and commitment it involves.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I'm glad there are people still out there that are as disgusted at this idea as I am.

It's not our it's ideals that make us human, it is our flaws.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I have a family history of diabetes, heart disease, depression, poor eyesight, clotting disorder and high blood pressure

thanks for keeping me ma !

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Has it dawned on the avid supporters of this, that there are people coming into this thread with very specific disabilities, perhaps the ones mentioned here.

While some of you are being just a wee bit insensitive, others are saying these people should be dead for the betterment of humanity. You type this and people who are disabled will read it. Try to think about that before you go too far into the eugenics ideology.

We don't post in a vacuum.
edit on 9-6-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

"Nancy Snyderman explained to viewers that it's just good science to abort an unborn child that may have a genetic disorder"

What about brain defects?
because this wasn't introduced before you were born Nancy, its ok now?
edit on 9-6-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Nope! Sorry! I'm all for it.

Its like selectively breeding cattle... Your not gonna breed anyone with disease now are you?

It amazes me when people continue with pregnancies that the scan has shown to be highly defected, like severe downs syndrome. I look at those people sitting in wheel chairs pretty much cabbaged all their life... And that aint no life!

Breed serious disease and deformaties out of us. Simple. Its for the greater good after all.

Why can't some people grasp that?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Then they should take some personal responsibility and leave the thread if they find it upsetting. There are at least a handful of threads each and every one of us finds upsetting or that hits close to home. It is in our best interest to avoid these threads if we cannot keep our emotions from overriding our sense of logic and reason. There is no reason people should fear discussing these issues because they might hurt the feelings of a minority of people.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Breed serious disease and deformaties out of us. Simple. Its for the greater good after all.

Why can't some people grasp that?

Ask him.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

There's an exception to every rule

Any way, if his parents didn't have him, his soul woul have been born to someone else

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I don't see it as "pro-science" but rather "pro-eugenics", which is a big no-no.

If the OP is trying to use this as an angle against science, good luck!

The reporter is clueless and nothing more.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

He was not born like this though.

I wasn't born deaf either but if I were, I doubt that my parents would have said no. Anyone with common sense would embrace such a life as an opportunity to make a difference.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I would think that it's cold and cruel to want to abort a child with severe downs syndrome. If you are able to provide the quality of life necessary for that child's happiness, then do it!

Humans aren't cattle in the literal sense.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

just breed downsyndrome away? really?:
your jokeing right
haha if his parents didnt have him. He would not be here :end OF story
face it you just got ownd by bezzer lol

edit on 9-6-2012 by jplaysguitar because: smiley face-to-face

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar

Nobody got "ownd" by anybody.

Can we have a discussion that doesn't degenerate into such comments?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Sounds like a revival of The T-4 Euthanasia Program.

T4 Euthanasia Program

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by beezzer

There's an exception to every rule

Any way, if his parents didn't have him, his soul would have been born to someone else

Care to provide proof where intellect is tied to the soul?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

you can if you want to.
im content whith what i posted thou. way i see it beezer posted a pic of a great scientific mind although hawking is burdend physicaly he made huge contributions to the field.
thus blowing pro eugenics arguments out the water ie. geting "ownd"

edit on 9-6-2012 by jplaysguitar because: got a fesh new bakery item called the " hurtz dounut" . thats gota sting a little

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I think its cold and cruel seeing some of these people clearly not enjoying or living their lives. I've seen parents breaking down wondering who is going to provide care for there children after they pass away.

Last halloween I was in a night club, and some one who had some serious kind of medical condition was wheeled in a left in a corner, being checked on every half an hour. The dead look in his eyes told me all I need to know, and yet his carer or gaudian thought that was him living life

That's one example of many. I've seen disabled people plead for uthenasia, even tho there condition isn't terminal.

I couldn't imagine a worse kind of hell, personnally, living a real life can't just be about living in your mind, its about running in the rain, choosing a career, making love, going on fair rides, swimming in the sea.. And so much more.

Some people have simply been born without physical and mental abilities to appreciate life as we do.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, and like I said above, the soul would move on to a more adequate physical vechical.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I really don't understand why everyone is throwing around the eugenics word. That word carries a lot of baggage and is kind of over-dramatic for what is being discussed in the article. Its simply the choice of the parent to abort a baby with a genetic defect. Its that simple. Its not the government forcing anyone to have an abortion, its not selective breeding, its not anyone telling someone else what decision to make. Its simply giving parents the tools to decide whether or not they want to bring a child into this world with a genetic defect.

I think this is great, I mean a lot of babies are born with genetic defects that go through a lot of treatment and ultimately die as a result of their abnormalities. Babies hooked up to heart monitors, breathing machines, feeding tubes, and forced to go through multiple surgeries. Most of them do not make it. Yes some beat the odds but the quality of life for them is really crappy. There is also the issue of the drain people born with genetic defects place on society. I mean taking care of these people sometimes falls on the state, which hits the pocket of taxpayers. They are referred to in the social services field as consumers. They consume, thats all most can really can do and require a lot of care. Of course you have the special people like Stephen Hawking, but they are not the rule. Its not realistic to think all of them will be special, thats just deluded.

Giving parents a choice to abort and lower the number of individuals with these problems in society would be a good thing. It would lead to a healthier society in the long term.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join