It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC's Snyderman: "It's Pro-Science To Abort Children With Genetic Defects"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

NBC's Snyderman: "It's Pro-Science To Abort Children With Genetic Defects"

newsbusters.org

On Friday's NBC Today, chief medical editor Nancy Snyderman explained to viewers that it's just good science to abort an unborn child that may have a genetic disorder, explaining that testing for such conditions, "gives parents a chance to decide whether they're going to continue that pregnancy or not. This is the science of today."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
beta.mrc.org

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Eugenics out in the open why even hide it!? Article shares the news story that is making it's way around as well the vid/audio of her sharing her "pro science" view. If you're unfamiliar with Snyderman, she proposed HPV vaccine mandates in 2007, as well as other "pro science". For or against eugenics this is the kind of future we may see.

newsbusters.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

+46 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I cannot fault a parent deciding to do this... I do fault a culture that presumes to tell you how to feel about it.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake

For or against eugenics this is the kind of future we may see.

What an open and honest future? I am confused.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
So you people are OK with passing heritable defects on to offspring?

Why does this frighten you so much?

Humans have over 4000 heritable defects. Don't you think that it is time we who think we are so enlightened, should do something serious about it?

Those with these defects are not usually told that they are heritable. And it is or has been taboo to suggest to a defective person that he should not breed and pass the problem on to his children and grandchildren.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by emberscott

Originally posted by dreamingawake

For or against eugenics this is the kind of future we may see.

What an open and honest future? I am confused.

Not in a Brave New World, no room for that.

Originally posted by Maxmars
I cannot fault a parent deciding to do this... I do fault a culture that presumes to tell you how to feel about it.

Per chance that what we will see the pre determining whether parental choice or not.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone

Humans have over 4000 heritable defects. Don't you think that it is time we who think we are so enlightened, should do something serious about it?

Those with these defects are not usually told that they are heritable. And it is or has been taboo to suggest to a defective person that he should not breed and pass the problem on to his children and grandchildren.

Frighten?
Sure, there's the "weeding out" of the genetic defects... then there's...
The chance of systematic abuse runs high if history repeats itself. Eugenics had already been used in the US. Forced sterilization of minorities to the disabled and poor. Not even to mention outside of the US with Germany. Who will dictate, who will choose? What said "defect" will be the requirement for if you should not have children or child must be terminated? Do you even have a say?

edit on 8-6-2012 by dreamingawake because: more...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I guess eugenics is alive and well.

Amazing the kind of crap that passes as being "pro science".

Disgusting.

+24 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

How do you abort a sociopath, and is it detectable in the womb?

I would possibly share your sentiments if we could "abort" the sociopaths and destructive psychopaths in this world.. but alas, we cannot. Physical abnormalities and the "disabled" are really not the "problem" in this world, are they? When was the last time someone with advanced cerebral palsy destroyed an entire oceanic eco-system with crude oil, then complained quote, "I want my life back." ?

Oh yea, never.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well, most people believe that Hitlers only victims were Jews but his "euthanasia" project actually started out with the elderly, the retarded and anyone with physical or mental defects of any kind.

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
People are opposed to abortion.

The same people are also opposed to the ssi and other welfare it takes to raise disabled kids.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Its "Pro Science"........... Wow. And how did these babies get these genetic defects? Could it be a group of old men with too much power consistently poison the planet and our environment to further there NWO agenda?

Is that "Pro Science" or "Pro Retarded Old Men"?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

edit on 6/8/2012 by aaaiii because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I have news for you...every single human being is born into this world with some kind of "defect".

Every single human being, no matter how "defective" in some respect, has an inherited advantage in another respect...the potential to live a life fulfilling for themself, and to add fulfillment to those around them...the capacity for love and compassion...the chance to make a difference in some small - or large - way.

I simply do not know where you are coming from.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX

I would possibly share your sentiments if we could "abort" the sociopaths and destructive psychopaths in this world.. but alas, we cannot. Physical abnormalities and the "disabled" are really not the "problem" in this world, are they? When was the last time someone with advanced cerebral palsy destroyed an entire oceanic eco-system with crude oil, then complained quote, "I want my life back." ?

Oh yea, never.

Wish I could star that post a couple thousand times!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

I love you...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle

Originally posted by SyphonX

Oh yea, never.

Wish I could star that post a couple thousand times!

Same here!

star & thumbs up for the great reply.
edit on 8-6-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The study I believe the OP's source is referencing comes from a report issued in the Science Translational Medicines online archive.

Noninvasive Whole-Genome Sequencing of a Human Fetus

stm.org

Analysis of cell-free fetal DNA in maternal plasma holds promise for the development of noninvasive prenatal genetic diagnostics. Previous studies have been restricted to detection of fetal trisomies, to specific paternally inherited mutations, or to genotyping common polymorphisms using material obtained invasively, for example, through chorionic villus sampling. Here, we combine genome sequencing of two parents, genome-wide maternal haplotyping, and deep sequencing of maternal plasma DNA to noninvasively determine the genome sequence of a human fetus at 18.5 weeks of gestation. Inheritance was predicted at 2.8 × 106 parental heterozygous sites with 98.1% accuracy. Furthermore, 39 of 44 de novo point mutations in the fetal genome were detected, albeit with limited specificity. Subsampling these data and analyzing a second family trio by the same approach indicate that parental haplotype blocks of ~300 kilo–base pairs combined with shallow sequencing of maternal plasma DNA is sufficient to substantially determine the inherited complement of a fetal genome. However, ultradeep sequencing of maternal plasma DNA is necessary for the practical detection of fetal de novo mutations genome-wide. Although technical and analytical challenges remain, we anticipate that noninvasive analysis of inherited variation and de novo mutations in fetal genomes will facilitate prenatal diagnosis of both recessive and dominant Mendelian disorders.

Although the focus of the study is on monogenic diseases, it does cover a broad array of disorders or herited genetic defects such as the ones below.

chicago.edu

With new opportunities in genome science and bioinformatics, research has shifted toward the study of common heritable disorders including autism, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, and Alzheimer’s disease.

(Alternative source)
nature.com
edit on 8-6-2012 by Daedal because: edit

edit on 8-6-2012 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
How many luminaries, geniuses, and last hopes of humanity will be extinguished prematurely? Can you honestly say "none?" Ever see Gattica? "Gene"-ism will start with thinking like this.
edit on 8-6-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I would use this diagnostic without second thought... people that say not wanting this kinda of diagnostic never met with parents that has children with serious diseases. I don't see the point to suffer, you and the child, the hardships that come with such diseases.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join