It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cops kill ten times more civilians then civilians kill cops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
here's the link reason.com...

From 2003 to 2009, 4,813 people died in relation to an arrest in “all manners of deaths.” Each year ranged from 627 (2003) to 745 (2007). Source – Andrea M. Burch, U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics,Arrest-Related Deaths, 2003-2009 – Statistical Tables, November 2011.

Of those, 2,913 (about 6 in 10) were reported as “homicide by law enforcement.” Each year ranged from 375 (2004) to 497 (2009). See Burch.

In the only year in which the NYT article and the Bureau of Justice Statistics report overlap, 2008, law enforcement killed roughly 10 times the number of people during arrests (404) than officers killed (41). See Burch.

Since 2001, at least 500 people have been killed as a result of being tasered by officers in the United States alone.

In 2010, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD) had a 50 percent increase in the number of “perception” shootings—shootings in which “deputies perceive, accurately or not, that a suspect may be armed or going for a gun” and then fire their own weapons. According to a report compiled for the department by the Police Assessment Resource Center, a non-profit group that analyzes local and state police agencies, “A little more than half of those suspects were holding an object such as a cell phone or sunglasses that was believed by deputies to be a possible firearm.”

LASD deputies fired on 260 people from 2005 through 2010. Sixty-one percent of those shootings involved suspects who were later determined to be unarmed. “Waistband shootings,” in which suspects were fired upon after reaching toward their waists, increased from one-fifth of all incidents to one-third. In almost half of those incidents, the suspects were found to be unarmed.

And that’s just one county.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
NH is a relatively gun friendly state.

The past month has seen an uncharacteristic number of gun-related deaths and one pointless cop death for enforcing the almighty war on drugs.

The state attorney has been all over the news doing his best to "not let a good crisis go to waste" rambling on about police are under attack and maybe the state should take a second look at its gun laws.

Reality and facts have no place in a world where fantasy and illusion reign supreme which is where the police, politicians and law reside.

All this nonsense about the brave police and the majesty of law and "we have to make sure every officer gets home at night" as if there is some evil dark force stalking each uniformed plebe just drives me nuts.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The moral to this story:

If approached/ confronted by a law enforcement officer, make sure hands are empty and in sight of the LEO at all times. An even better idea would be to avoid being in a situation that requires contact with a LEO in the first place

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
NH is a relatively gun friendly state.

The past month has seen an uncharacteristic number of gun-related deaths and one pointless cop death for enforcing the almighty war on drugs.

The state attorney has been all over the news doing his best to "not let a good crisis go to waste" rambling on about police are under attack and maybe the state should take a second look at its gun laws.

Reality and facts have no place in a world where fantasy and illusion reign supreme which is where the police, politicians and law reside.

All this nonsense about the brave police and the majesty of law and "we have to make sure every officer gets home at night" as if there is some evil dark force stalking each uniformed plebe just drives me nuts.
Couldn't have said it better my self 61% or fatal shootings by cops are mistakes OPPS really thats less the half and yet these people are still trained the same way it's amazing not only that they get assault rifles next thing we know they will be shooting at people with 50 cal sniper rifles because its to dangerous to be within 1 mile of the person they are arresting
edit on 25-4-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

You mean like not living in the same world as police?

You dont ever have to do anything to have them kicking in your door or dragging you out of your car or beating your head in for sitting on a park bench.

All they have to do is claim some loose "probable cause" either before assaulting you or even after assaulting you and you're in the mix deep with no hope of getting out.

As long as they exist we're all at risk of being abused, assaulted or otherwise railroaded into a living hell.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
The moral to this story:

If approached/ confronted by a law enforcement officer, make sure hands are empty and in sight of the LEO at all times. An even better idea would be to avoid being in a situation that requires contact with a LEO in the first place

Yeah the moral is never call them for anything

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Sounds to me like the cops are a much better shot than the criminals.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

reply to post by mileysubet

You mean like not living in the same world as police?

You dont ever have to do anything to have them kicking in your door or dragging you out of your car or beating your head in for sitting on a park bench.

All they have to do is claim some loose "probable cause" either before assaulting you or even after assaulting you and you're in the mix deep with no hope of getting out.

As long as they exist we're all at risk of being abused, assaulted or otherwise railroaded into a living hell.

Good point and dont you think its interesting how jobs now ask you for your misdemeanors? While cops have to fill quotas its like if you ever run into them they ether kill you or screw up your job prospects and cops wonder why people don't like them?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights

Lol criminals with cell phones and cameras right lol

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

This was my thought as well. They better have a higher body count. There are far better trained. It is unfortunate when bad things happen and people get killed. Unfortunately this is part of the game. Once you enter guns into the equation people start to die. Simple as that. It sucks but it is what it is.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

Yeah, cause every single one of them that were killed didnt have a gun

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Read the article please it states that 61% of the people that the cops killed didn't have a gun they had a camera or cell phone in their hands
derp

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Read the article please it states that 61% of the people that the cops killed didn't have a gun they had a camera or cell phone in their hands
derp

Read my reply with a bit of comprehension. I was making a point that SOME of them had weapons. YOU tried to make it sound like cops just go out hunting for victims and that is bullcrap. herp derp

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

derp

Read my reply with a bit of comprehension. I was making a point that SOME of them had weapons. YOU tried to make it sound like cops just go out hunting for victims and that is bullcrap. herp derp
Its not even 50-50 its 60-40 what about that don't you get cops kill ten times more people then people kill cops and 61% of the cops shootings are accidental which is more then half. There needs to be some accountability here which there isnt add in the fact that I'm sure there are some coverups cough dirty gun placed on victim cough

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by underduck

This was my thought as well. They better have a higher body count. There are far better trained. It is unfortunate when bad things happen and people get killed. Unfortunately this is part of the game. Once you enter guns into the equation people start to die. Simple as that. It sucks but it is what it is.

dude 61% is more then half of the people they kill its an "accident"

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
That sounds about the right ratio. Where it should be.
edit on 25-4-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

Its not good but it happens. People are killed hunting all the time and almost always by accident (I hope).

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
First, the title of this thread is misleading. Civilians should be changed to criminals (or suspected criminals). The way it's written, it sounds like cops run around killing random innocent civilians.

Second:

The way I see it, unless you are mixed up in something that would draw the attention of the police, you won't every have them looking at you for anything. So, if you are speaking from experience, I'm guessing that you were somehow involved in something that you feel wasn't illegal and they, apparently, beg to differ.

Third:

More like outgunning the criminals. Cops, generally, act in groups of two or more so there will be, at the very least, two guns for every criminal. Of course, they could all be keystone kops. Here's a nice article from today's NY Daily News about a guy who was in a gunfight with the cops, after wounding his mother and killing her 13 year old daughter (his half sister I believe)

www.nydailynews.com...

If you take a look at the image in the article, you will see, roughly, 80 little yellow numbered evidence markers. The cops fired 84 shots at the man before bringing him down.

and he's still alive, after, apparently, getting hit 16 times.
No marksmen, just outgunning the opposition. Literally

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur]

The way I see it, unless you are mixed up in something that would draw the attention of the police, you won't every have them looking at you for anything. So, if you are speaking from experience, I'm guessing that you were somehow involved in something that you feel wasn't illegal and they, apparently, beg to differ.

It helps rationalize incidents of unwarranted and unprovoked harassment to look at it that way.

To my knowledge talking to a woman at a bar who happens to have an insane cop ex isnt illegal.

To my knowledge walking your dog down the street in the middle of the night isnt illegal.

To my knowledge being billed for services never solicited then having the subsequent lack of payment somehow involve into "fraud" without ever knowing about it isnt illegal either. If anything it's called being made a victim yet the fellas kicking the door down and trashing your home seems to indicate otherwise.

Just a taste.

You never even have to get out of the bed in the morning to become a target of these people. They're armed thugs ordered around by an inept and broken bureaucracy that makes far too many mistakes.

The worst part is that the more of these screw ups you happen to be present for, even the more cops you just talk to for any reason, you earn a reputation for being involved with them. They in turn use that reputation as an excuse to continue the harassment. After all you wouldnt be involved if you werent up to something, right? Even when your involvement is an office seeking personal vengeance and wrong addresses.

So a simple, "out walking your dog alone at 2AM sir?" inquiry one sleepless night can snowball into harassment and stalking all on its own just because one day one cop asked you a question while you were doing nothing at all.
edit on 25-4-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm fairly sure that, if a cop was harrassing you, that you can fight back.

for starters, go to the press. They love stories that show the bad side of the police. Once you do that, you will find that Internal Affairs also gives a dman about the mistreatment.

I don't know what services you were billed for that resulted in your being charged with fraud but that sounds somewhat strange since, to commit fraud, you need to commit an intentional deception, for financial gain and, in the case you describe, you were billed for services you didn't ask for and wound up being charged with fraud. The only way I can see that happening would be if you requested services, under false pretenses, and then refused to pay based using the original deception, or false pretenses, as your excuse for not having to pay.

I've been billed for things I didn't order plenty of times. Never once have I been charged with fraud.

I'd go to the local press about the cop who seems to have it in for you. Perhaps you can bust him in the act.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join