It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook 'troll' Sean Duffy gets community service for offensive Sophie Taylor image

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TomServo

How would he be charged with a crime if he wasn't arrested could you explain that. He was deprived of libertys so I'm pretty sure that falls under arrested. Which is understandable what he did was disgusting.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
He was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison last September after admitting two "trolling" charges

Oh wow... it's now illegal to troll? Good job we don't have capital punishment... for all the trolling i've done through the years i guess i'd be looking at lethal injection.

Seriously?!? What the hell has happened to britain.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
reply to post by TKDRL

I post photshops all the time. I hope nothing happens to me
I post stuff like this

I doubt it'll get me in trouble. I think it's funny.

Nice! I passed it along.
edit on 3/16/2012 by reitze because: removed the image before it was removed for me. CENSORSHIP!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It always seems to be on Facebook. I have heard SO MANY stories now of people being arrested from posting something on Facebook. It's as if Facebook are purposely going around looking for these "offenders" and then informing the police. It never seems to happen with other social networking sites, just Facebook. It's as if they are trying to make the thing for preschoolers, if you dare post something slightly distasteful you'll be charged and probably locked up. That's why I avoid Facebook like the plague, they clearly have deep connections with many different arms of the law, and they aren't scared to rat out their users either. They probably even collect your information and sell it to those agencies. The blue and white color scheme doesn't help much either.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Freedom expression means freedom to offend as well...

Call the though police...

edit on 17-3-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Although I do believe what he did was quite an awful thing to do. People seem to be forgetting this happened on a website and it's the websites duty to regulate what is on it etc if you don't like it don't use it. There are trolls ALL over the Internet and if you don't have the emotional capacity to deal with them I'm sorry but IMHO the Internet is not for you.

If Sean Duffy is guilty of "trolling" ( i find this completely absurd) and causing emotional distress to Sophie Taylor's relatives then Facebook should be held equally accountable for giving him the capacity to do so.
edit on 17-3-2012 by 1d2a3n because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
only reason I still have facebook is to troll about all the stupid girly pictures and statuses. I get a lot of praise for it.. only reason i still have it

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Well, I sure am glad I don't live in the UK. Seems pretty crazy to me, as a freedom loving american, that some one can be arrested for posting a photoshopped image. That seems over the top in my opinion. What next, is there going to be a police force hired, just to patrol social networking sites?

Tasteless, yep. An offence that should be arrest worthy, nope. That is my personal opinion. What say you ATS?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

In the state of Missouri, it's illegal to be a cyber bully ..... and I completely agree with the law. It's time trolls start taking responsibility for their actions online, rather than be a coward behind a screen, making another person's life hell.

internetsafetyeducator.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SashaHighkick
reply to post by subfab

That is on the parents. If they raised their kid to have a strong self worth, they would not be killing themselves over some words on a computer screen.

edit on 16-3-2012 by SashaHighkick because: (no reason given)

Wrong. There are many parents who do raise their children to have good self esteem, but that does not mean the child will turn out that way. Children are heavily influenced by their peers. You take a teen with severe depression, throw in some continual bullying at school and online..... you are going to end up with some huge problems.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SashaHighkick
reply to post by Maponos

For me? Well had someone touched me, I would have kicked them in the nuts until they passed out. I got signed up for karate as soon as I could walk, my parents have done their best to raise me not to be a helpless girl. But like I said, it sucks and I am sorry it happens to anyone.

Not everyone in this world is as strong as you. Be grateful that you are strong.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Maponos

PS your constitutional right to free speech on facebook is a "legal grey area"

err , no it is not , you have zero consitutional right to post on facebook

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

what about cartoons of political figures and the like, couldnt this also be considered as trolling, this opens a legal pandoras box IMHO

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by repeatoffender

If that happens, I am screwed

A lot of my artwork is that.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I find it odd that people, including a mod, are implying that this is infringing on their rights and comparing this to trolling on ATS. Nobody on ATS has done something this vile (well maybe, but the mods would have taken care of it). What this guy did is not much different than repeatedly calling up the family and mocking them. That would be a crime too. He harassed the family of dead teenagers. I am shocked that anyone would think that is ok.
edit on 17-3-2012 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

So what? You want people that troll ATS arrested too? Please.... People troll here, someone reports it, mods take it down.

Same thing on facebook, report infractions and if it is against their rules, it will be taken down. If it's not against their rules, then too bad.

You don't have the right to not be offended. You do have the right to not pay attention to that which offends you.

edit on Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:18:51 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

So what? You want people that troll ATS arrested too? Please.... People troll here, someone reports it, mods take it down.

Same thing on facebook, report infractions and if it is against their rules, it will be taken down. If it's not against their rules, then too bad.

You don't have the right to not be offended. You do have the right to not pay attention to that which offends you.

edit on Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:18:51 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

How on earth did you get that from my post? I clearly (I think) said there is no comparison between this and what trolls do on ATS. It was a few posters who made a ridiculous connection between ATS and what this guy did.

What he did was harassment, a crime. I disagree with making a new law called trolling.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

It's not harassment. The offended people chose to go to facebook, calling someone's house, or following them around, that would be harassment. Who in their right minds(except people trying to earn a buck) makes a wide open group on facebook? Being ignorant of the internet, and having your feelings hurt, should not be protected by law.

Banned from facebook, yeah, I can see that. Arrested, nope, not right in my book.

edit on Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:41:11 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I agree that they should have made it a closed group (if that can be done), but grieving family members may not think of that. What this guy did was disgusting and he was clearly not going to stop. Something had to be done. Community service is a minor punishment but hopefully he learned a lesson.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I think there's a fine line sometimes with the whole freedom of speech thing, but when you post something like that with the sole intention of hurting people, I don't see why it would be wrong to make it illegal. He posted an image of the girl with gunshot wounds after she'd been shot... How is that not meant to do anything but cause emotional distress?

He shoulda used Tor

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join