It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are "Whites" an Ethnicity -- or in a convenient non-ethnic 'class' of their own?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
just wondering.

after reading several threads where ATSers paint the picture of whites against the rest of the world "of color".

are whites the only white people?

Are Caucasians from northern europe, or actually the mediterranean around Turkey/Iran?

Why is their so much theft and repainting of anthropological terms in the American English language??

edit on 9-3-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

Not sure I understand. White is what people use to describe people with lite colored skin. Not sure why, as we are really light tan, but I didn't make the term up

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Yes whites are an ethnicity.
However, whites are another level of the genetic update that our creators made.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
whites are blacks, blacks are purples, purples are reds, reds are yellows, yellows are whites

[full circle]

makes not a tinkers damn bit of sense - 'distinctions'

we are humanity. we are people. we are the human race.

'ethnicity' (?)

... an oft bastardized 'term' throughout history.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Obviously all us whites descend from some ethnic-group or another, but is sad that we seem to have done away with the idea of it, at least here in America. Idk about Europe, but I imagine it'd be hard to away with over there.

It sucks that so few people these days know where there original "American" ancestors came from. This is the reason that most white americans these days consider the hallmarks of our culture to be football, consumerism and blind patriotism.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Whitey is the northern tribes of Israel, from Britain
They were sent out to the "ends of the land"....from Europe
that would Aussie, Canada US and Hawaii

The tribe probably Menassas...west....and Ephraim in Britain
13 tribes you know...not twelve

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Distinctions make perfect sense. We see people who look different so we know that they are different in some superficial ways at least. That's just logic.

Getting caught up on the distinctions makes no sense however, because it's obvious that all of us are more the less same in regards to our genetic make-up, and more importantly, our spirits. Each and every man and woman are driven by similar motives and have shared desires.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
As I understand things, Caucasian is a race. White may be a more general term, and I know everyone is almost explosively touchy about saying races aren't 100% identical in every way possible but pigmentation....but... Well, forensic anthropologists and forensic pathologists can tell race by bone structure in minor ways.

In my mind, if the differences are outright physical and beneath the skin, it's race. Where...Russian vs. Irish are both "Caucasoid" on a morgue table...to be blunt...their differences as living people make the ethnic group. At least that is how I understand it to be.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RatoAstuto

Getting caught up on the distinctions makes no sense

My point, entirely.

yet but just another means by which to further divide the populace as a whole.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
hmmm great points,

i still see "White" and moreso, Caucasian as blatant - perhaps intentional - misnomers. kinda like 'Aryan' used by American whites to hate on true Aryans, who are the Persians.

i mean, where on the map does one draw the line between being anthropologically "white" vs being some other "race" or other non-white ethnic makeup?

and yes, it seems first and foremost in USA its the "Whites" vs non-whites or 'ethnics' or people of 'color LOL.

but again once Caucasian is being mis-used, its pretty ambiguous and incorrect-- from the start.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Caucasia:

how can Irish and other northern europeans be Caucasian?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
i mean, where on the map does one draw the line

that 'map' is solely in each and every individual's mind. how they choose to circumvent the same is an entirely different matter altogether.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Apparently the northern europeans were more originally called the "Huns" and "Barbarians" (!)

No wonder why the British and Americans stole the term 'Caucasian' from the mediterraneans to the deep South!

answers.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Caucasia:

how can Irish and other northern europeans be Caucasian?

I really don't understand it all myself. I do know the terminology and classifications in pure physical terms to race type though, and that's something taught today. That map is interesting for origins...and then I think, before that? what were they? We know evidence of intelligent man goes back 10's of thousands of years.

Ultimately....heck. We're all about the same in different combinations anyway. I don't think there is a difference on any area that actually matters outside of medical charts for forensics.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Well one things for sure, the Cacausus Mountains have NEVER moved from the mediterranean just north of TURKEY and IRAN

So i find it almost intentially misleading that such politically, geographically-professed nations like USA and GB that were historically 'settled' by mostly Brit/Scot/Irish people, of so much farther north, would adopt the totally wrong geographical term for their founding/ruling 'class', Queen, Rothschilds, et al... and stick to it till kingdom come.

heck come to think of it, its like "Caucasian" is the neo-nazi version of Hitlers Aryan/Swastika, also key misnomers.

(and sheeple buy it)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

The 'white' race is merely a social construct. Europeans are really part of a larger genetically racial group referred to as Caucasians. Anglo-saxons, Germanic peoples, Italian peoples, Iranians, Northern Indians and even Iraqis, all considered under the same racial group. Now would the neo-nazis welcome a Syrian or an Inidian man from the Punjabi province into their group considering he shares relatively the same immediate genetic relation? No. Funny thing ain't it? I remind like to remind racists of this from time to time.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Caucasians from Caucasia .

Asians from Asia .

Africans from Africa .

What is there to be confused about , I have no idea .

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
As references above, the map of CAUCASIA does not even touch about northern Europe,

where 90% of "white" Americans claim to be originated from.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23432

Caucasians from Caucasia .

Asians from Asia .

Africans from Africa .

What is there to be confused about , I have no idea .

The OP doesn't understand why light skinned Europeans tend to class themselves as a racial group when genetically they are not distinct. This is from what I understand. Caucasians are a genetically identifiable racial group. There are distinct human groups identified, Africans, Asians, Native North and South American, Australian aboriginal and Caucasians, these groups are are the only genetically identifiable groups among human kind (I invite anybody correct me). 'White people' share an insignificant genetic difference from their neighbours in the middle east or North Africa and India. Technicially, a man from Pakistan shares the same racial group as that of a man from Ireland.
edit on 9-3-2012 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

just wondering.

after reading several threads where ATSers paint the picture of whites against the rest of the world "of color".

are whites the only white people?

Are Caucasians from northern europe, or actually the mediterranean around Turkey/Iran?

Why is their so much theft and repainting of anthropological terms in the American English language??

Are you white? Only people who are in their own culture are blind to their own ethnic culture. It's easy to see everyone else's culture and see yourself as not having one because it isn't exotic enough to you. The only reason everyone else (i.e. non-white people) clings to their own cultures so much is that they are the minority in America. People gravitate toward what makes them comfortable- which is what is the norm for them. Be a white American and move somewhere else in the world. You'll discover your own ethnic culture pretty quickly and seek out your own.

And whoever said that race was a social construct was completely right. It's very fluid and can and does change over time.
edit on 9-3-2012 by LeSigh because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join