It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't we just go and die?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I hear people often mention a creator and a source where we all come from and belong. I've heard it described as some beautiful stream of consciousness, as some eternal metaphysical realm of light or as some universal particle of energy which binds everyone. I've heard that we are souls imprisoned in a body, presumably incarcerated by some divine creator, and we are cursed and banished from our true origin.

If any of these interpretations were the case, would it not be in our best interest to free ourselves from our fragile prisons and return to this oneness, this true origin? Why not end our curse and banishment, and emancipate ourselves from our confines? Why don't we just go and die? What stops us?

In my opinion (presupposing that all opinions are useless), the reason we don't go jump off the nearest cliff—besides the glaring doubt of any metaphysical interpretations of existence— is because the soul is the body, and we are already in the source. Once the body dies, the soul ceases to exist, or at the very least isn't yours to control anymore, and your body is telling you this, despite what sort of web of eternal existence you've spun in your mind.

Thank you for hearing my opinion.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It kind of reminds me of lemmings. I mean your post.

The web I have spun within my mind seems to work for me, so why ruin it?

Why is everybody so intent on pushing their realities on everyone else?

Why?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
you will meet your maker anyway, why hurry ?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The normal answer for that question would be that we come here to learn, and keep coming back until our purpose is fulfilled and we're ready for..whatever it is

To believe this, of course, you would need to believe in reincarnation first.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Why don't we just go and die?

Saving the best for last?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

That's my point. Why don't we walk like lemmings to this great eternal realm, or heaven?

I suggest the reason is because our body is telling us why.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

I hear people often mention a creator and a source where we all come from and belong. I've heard it described as some beautiful stream of consciousness, as some eternal metaphysical realm of light or as some universal particle of energy which binds everyone. I've heard that we are souls imprisoned in a body, presumably incarcerated by some divine creator, and we are cursed and banished from our true origin.

If any of these interpretations were the case, would it not be in our best interest to free ourselves from our fragile prisons and return to this oneness, this true origin? Why not end our curse and banishment, and emancipate ourselves from our confines? Why don't we just go and die? What stops us?

In my opinion (presupposing that all opinions are useless), the reason we don't go jump off the nearest cliff—besides the glaring doubt of any metaphysical interpretations of existence— is because the soul is the body, and we are already in the source. Once the body dies, the soul ceases to exist, or at the very least isn't yours to control anymore, and your body is telling you this, despite what sort of web of eternal existence you've spun in your mind.

Thank you for hearing my opinion.

Maybe because not everyone thinks that way.

Are you considering killing yourself?
edit on 5-2-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Imagine if life was just a game, orchestrated by the "us", an omnipotent god that we are all part of. The objective of this game would be to learn, and until this learning was complete, the game would not end. What would happen if we knew it was just a game and this was the objective all along? Probably the learning would be slower... the incentive to go on lower...

We would probably go jump off a cliff if we knew it was just a game.... which would amount to slower learning, since if all of us would do it, we would have to re-evolve from amoebas again in order to learn what we are supposed to.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

No, I'm suggesting the opposite. To strive towards a oneness with the source or creator, is to strive towards death. I'm merely asking if people want eternal bliss in some afterlife, why don't they take the quickest route there and kill themselves? If people believe they are cursed to be trapped in their body, why don't they emancipate themselves?

It's really just a question.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Does the desire for a God mean a God exists? Does the desire for eternal paradise mean that such a place exists?

Or perhaps there really ISN'T any meaning of life. We're simply biological creatures blessed (or cursed) with meta cognition. So no heaven, no reincarnation, nothing. We shine briefly for a moment and then we're gone.

I think you have to decide why humans exist before you'll answer your question. If life has no meaning, then we avoid death as a biological imperative. But if there is a deeper meaning, a standard Truth, then we avoid death to fulfill our "mission," whatever that may be

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

I agree with your analogy. If life were a game, and we realized that we were its pawns, we'd go kill ourselves as death would be the only escape. My point was we don't go kill ourselves because we know full well, despite what we tell ourselves, that it isn't a game, and that we are already in the source.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Maybe I shouldn't have employed Socratic irony in my post...

Once again I agree with what you're saying, and you helped clarify my point. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

ive had similar thoughts to the one you just brought up before and continued on with it to think that if death is a form of liberation with such 'oneness' and true origin then why would life have ever began and left its true origin

in that frame of thought it would almost have been a mistake for the first cell to ever have formed and evolution to have continued.

evolution is guided by survival of the fittest but more than that it is the best able to serve its niche as well as attain its desires

life has always been in pursuit of desire and as the buddhists say that desire is the root of all suffering

i honestly could believe that life started as a mistake under those circumstances and has just been evolving and getting more complex in attempt to ever be satisfied without desire but that is impossible while living

im sure many have heard of allan watts but i highly recommend searching him on youtube with "myth of myself part 2" and "we are all nothingness" (both roughly 10min vids)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

reply to post by NeoVain

I agree with your analogy. If life were a game, and we realized that we were its pawns, we'd go kill ourselves as death would be the only escape. My point was we don't go kill ourselves because we know full well, despite what we tell ourselves, that it isn't a game, and that we are already in the source.

If this is the pinnacle of everything, and is infact the source, then I'm extremely disappointed.

This isn't it.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
What's with the suicidal threads lately!? Don't be sad be glad.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

'I sing the body electric'

Walt Whitman.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by trust_no_one

ive had similar thoughts to the one you just brought up before and continued on with it to think that if death is a form of liberation with such 'oneness' and true origin then why would life have ever began and left its true origin

in that frame of thought it would almost have been a mistake for the first cell to ever have formed and evolution to have continued.

Nicely put.

Maybe life is an accident, or what my art teacher called a "happy accident", I prefer this thought to the thought of being banished and imprisoned against will. Our body and subconsciousness might agree, or else it wouldn't protect us from death.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

If you wish to reach the source so much, why don't you release yourself from this life and attain your eternal freedom? What's stopping us?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LonelyGuy

This isn't about committing suicide, it's about why we don't commit suicide if we're so sure that an eternal existence, a oneness or a heaven is available to us after death.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

reply to post by LonelyGuy

This isn't about committing suicide, it's about why we don't commit suicide if we're so sure that an eternal existence, a oneness or a heaven is available to us after death.

Because you don't go to heaven if you kill yourself. You go to the other place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join