It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assault weapon Ban officially dead.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Well it happened at last, No last minute save by the anti-gun people
The AWB is officially a thing of the past.

By statute, the prohibitions relating to semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices expired on September 13, 2004. As a result, certain sections of the Gun Control Act, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, and its implementing regulations, 27 CFR Part 478, are no longer in effect.

adjustable stocks and flash suppressors, oh my

The end of a unjust law that had no effect on preventing crimes.

Now where did I put that AK-47 adjustable stock wrench?

[edit on 13-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Ahhh, my nemesis...how r ya? good i hope. Ya, I heard tonight it expired. Thats all we need. Terrorists able to get assault weapons legally here. Great. Bush is so goddamn retarded. He wants to fight a war on terror, but then he lets this go by without doing a damn thing cuz he doesnt want to lose any votes. What a fool. Come november he'll get whats comin to him.

Hows the debate going? I havent checked lately..

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
is full auto still illegal without the special permit?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by fattytheking
is full auto still illegal without the special permit?

Hi sublime4372 Im fine thanks for asking how are you?

Correct fattytheking nobody can go out and just buy a automatic weapon now. The real result of the sunset of this ban is that no you can buy folding stocks,flash suppressors,Bayonet mount ,Pistol grip protruding conspicuously beneath the stock,Grenade launcher (really flare launchers) since grenades are tightly controled as destructive devices.

Under the old law Specifically, a rifle is considered an "assault weapon" if it can accept a detachable magazine, and possesses two or more of the features above.

Now you can have all these comsmetic features on one gun. They do not effect how deadly a gun is just it makes them look like a military gun. There are all semi-automatic

New High Capacity Magazines can now also be purchased. They was never a problem to get these during the ban as pre-ban magazines were easily available. It did make the price go up on magazines though.

So nobody has to worry about a flood of automatic weapons on the streets now. Some anti-gun people might make it seem so but its just not true.

www.awbansunset.com...

[edit on 13-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Correct fattytheking nobody can go out and just buy a automatic weapon now. The real result of the sunset of this ban is that no you can buy folding stocks,flash suppressors,Bayonet mount ,Pistol grip protruding conspicuously beneath the stock,Grenade launcher (really flare launchers) since grenades are tightly controled as destructive devices.

So nobody has to worry about a flood of automatic weapons on the streets now. Some anti-gun people might make it seem so but its just not true.

phew..oh wait, we still have to worry about some idiot strappin a gun equipped with folding stocks,flash suppressors,bayonet mount ,pistol grip protruding conspicuously beneath the stock and a grenade launcher (really flare launchers)

those damn anti gun nuts. what will they want to take away next?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by sublime4372

...maybe .22s? Well you never know, it's a gun too.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Drive-by bayonetings did go to a all time low during those ten years

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekial

Originally posted by sublime4372

...maybe .22s? Well you never know, it's a gun too.

True its a slippery slope in my opinion. Some people want to ban the 50cal. rifle but if that round is banned whats next the 30-06 then the 308 all the way down to the .22

D

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Well, thats good for you I guess. No guns for Austrlian civilians anytime soon, unless you're a farmer who needs to do some pest control.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Oh, for the love of god... We don't want to take away guns. We want them extremely regulated. Nothing productive comes from the barrel of a gun in the hands of a citizen. You want a rifle or shotgun to go hunting and fishing? Fine. Have at it. You want a tech-9? I gotta problem with that.

And, if you own one, it better be locked up in a case, with ammo locked up somewhere else, and there better be a trigger guard on it.

You can cite history all you want in a defense of why we need them, but i got some news for ya. We aint gonna have a civil war here. This country is filled with mostly fat lazy people that could give a rats ass about what our government does, just as long as they got their tv and dinner.

You can cite the need to protect yourself from intruders. Whens the last time you were intruded? Mine was by my 7 year old when I was in the bathroom. Its not going to happen. Stop being so paranoid. Lock your doors and windows when you go to bed. The one person who is most likely to get killed by the handgun under your bed is your kid.

I cant understand why this is such a big deal. It just seems like common sense to me.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I know you dont want to take away all guns sublime4372 but there are some anti-gun people would like for all guns to be taken away. I target shoot and also have guns for home defense. I live alone so I dont have to worry about kids getting at my guns.

The AVP movie said it pretty good.I think of it like a condom I rather have one and not need then not have one and need it. One of the only good things to come out of that movie.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
You yanks are OK. Over here in the UK all you can by are .22 pistols and double barrelled shot guns, a handful of pump action ones (limited to 3-4 rounds max with HUGE barrel extentions.)

Even then the requirements for owning one to get the licence is nothing short of a mensa test mixed with scrutiny from the Blair red tape brigade.)

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
rustiswordz I never understood why its so hard to get a gun even a hunting gun in the UK. The people of the UK have a long history of hunting is it just that there is not enough land and game for alot of people to hunt.

Also is there any target shooting in the UK, thats what I do I never have hunted something about skinning animals
I consider target shooting a legitimate sport that requires alot of skill.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
rustiswordz I never understood why its so hard to get a gun even a hunting gun in the UK. The people of the UK have a long history of hunting is it just that there is not enough land and game for alot of people to hunt.

Also is there any target shooting in the UK, thats what I do I never have hunted something about skinning animals
I consider target shooting a legitimate sport that requires alot of skill.

Yeah there is target shooting. 22 only (if im mistaken anyone feel free to step in) but my bro-in-law is a shooter and thats all you could get now, he had to hand in his two beautiful guns in the last crackdown a few years ago (a 45 automatic and a .357 revolver a coupla nice weapons.)

They didnt even compensate him for the loss. (Guns are now illegal hand em in or else was the goverment attitude)

Yet violent crime including gun crime, not to mention the upsurge in terrorist threats has made the UK less safe not more by removing guns from ordinary peoples hands.

Some people would say, hey some kid would kill themselves if guns were legal, heh so are cars and the stories of young ididots wrapping their dad's BMW or mercedes around a tree is no ones business.

Im a security guard by trade and i often have to deal with needle knife carrying nuts with nothing but a radio for protrection (we arnt even allowed a baton they are illegal to carry too...)

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
baton? wtf can you use your fists or is that next too, sheese thats messed up.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Sorry to hear of your brother-in-law losing two nice hand guns.

It also sucks that you have to deal with knife carrying nuts. I cant believe you cant even carry a baton. Talk about the criminals being better armed radio for protrection that does not seem right. That job must take some balls I hope you get hazard pay.

Can you even carry self defense weapons like pepper spray or a tazer?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Can you even carry self defense weapons like pepper spray or a tazer?

You must be joking! Rated worse than a Baton, tazers are illegal in Uk. period.

A bloody farce innit...

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I cant believe those are illegal
If anyone should have them security guards should. Its not like security guards are going to go around tazing people for no reason.

If the most used illegal weapon is knives I would think tazers would be logical for self-defense. That is not fair at all

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rustiswordz
Yet violent crime including gun crime, not to mention the upsurge in terrorist threats has made the UK less safe not more by removing guns from ordinary peoples hands.

That's not true. Ordinary people never carried or used guns as self defense in the first place. It has always been illegal to do so.

There has been an increase in gun crime, but it has nothing to do with the stricter gun laws. The increase in gun crime entirely down other factors such as drug gangs, and increase in illegal guns on the market, and the influence of "gangsta" culture.

Gun's may be used by the public as self defense weapons in the US, but they have never played that role in the UK. (not in living memory anyway).

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Why would you ban tazers? They are the best non-lethal weapons for security guards, although they do hurt when you get tazed.

But still, it is better than having a knife on you...

Shattered OUT...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join