It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputy Leader of UK calls Scots Extremists

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Don't get me wrong I was no fan of new labour. I just think its healthy for democracy to have more than one party. But I guess if that's what the people want, who am I to get in the way.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
So along with England losing a hell of a lot of oil, they will also lose a lot of companies who will relocate, lose the renewable energy sector and that brilliant idea of £2,000,000,000 per year increase in North Sea Oil tax introduced by Mr Osbourne.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by YeshuaPiso

No I am not stating that Scotland would become a target for the USA. I was referring to someone elses comments, whom stated the Americans had the launch codes to the Trident missiles also. I am stating if split up, The English Government could easily change the codes on the Missiles.

Got you!

Thought it would be something straightforward - your other posts were so eminently sensible.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
We are down to launch codes now, this is gonna be one amazing movie. Wee Eck as some kinda blimpy but heroic shagger,Dav Cam stroking his pussy(Clegg) . I love it :-)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Just need to correct a few people here; Since world war 2 NO election with a Labour victory has needed the Scottish Labour votes for a majority - However, this election just gone with the Tories they wouldn't of had to go into coalition. So no we would not be stuck with a Tory government.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
So if Scotland gets independence all the Scottish people who work in England will need to go through border checks just to get to work on a daily basis and vice versa. Family's who live just across the border from each other will be pissed with the border control just to visit friends and family at the weekend.
Scottish people who work in England will get the same crap as the other EU migrants get for taking English jobs and vice versa. You wont have a Navy or Air Force. Your Armed Forces will be loyal to England as they have fought for King and country for so long. No Nato membership. no UN membership. What about the Shetland islands they may want to stay part of England or claim Independence from Scotland. Scotland will also be behind other smaller nations for membership of the EU, the list goes on and on and can not be good. It will be a very sad day for both England and Scotland if it ever happens.

I am from England and I believe everyone in UK should get to vote on Scottish independence. After all Scotland has never been another country to us but part of our own.

edit on 15/1/12 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

I am from England and I believe everyone in UK should get to vote on Scottish independence. After all Scotland has never been another country to us but part of our own.

You haven't really grasped this have you? Many moons ago when faced with crass ignorance a wee woman said to me "Say nothin' hen. Just shake your heid, roll your eyes to the sky and say 'aye f**ing aye.'"

Now why would there be 'shake downs' at the border? That time will only come if we have different laws about what you can have in your possession. For example, say England relaxed the laws on firearms and Scotland didn't, or we had different drugs policies...or.....we could be like the Swiss....and anyone bringing in more than a kilo of Wensleydale from down south would face stringent taxes at the border to preserve the Scottish market for Galloway cheddar.

As for the whole nuke thing....they chose to locate the base close to the most densely populated area in Scotland. We've always had the war heads but never had the propellants (codes or whatever). What we have on our doorstep are the deadliest paper weights in history.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

Whats with all this talk about we have the nukes BS. So what u gonna nuke England #ing rofl. Carry on dreaming.

We will move all them out long before you get independence. seems like you scots want to start a fight already.
typical.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

So what u gonna nuke England lol lol #ing rofl.

We will move all them out long before you get independence. seems like you scots want to start a fight already.
typical.

I don't think Christina said anything about 'nuking' anyone and seems to me like you are the one trying to pick a fight.

And why on earth should England, Wales and Northern Ireland vote on Scottish independance?
You do understand the concept of self-determination don't you?

As much as I hope they vote against independance it is up to the Scots, and the Scots alone, to decide their own future.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezappa

So what u gonna nuke England lol lol #ing rofl.

typical.

It's funny, I didn't read her post in that way at all. Infact, just the opposite. Reading comprehension fail?

Also, I'm quoting your original post here. Your edited post is no less retarded than this one, but I think this one gives a better view of your real attitude.

"lol lol ******* rofl."

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Now why am i picking a fight.

I just pointed a few things out that could and may happen and expressed my regret at the breaking of a 300 yr union then i get sarcastic replies about it. If you want to be independent you have to go all the way, you cant have anything in half's.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

Whats with all this talk about we have the nukes BS. So what u gonna nuke England #ing rofl. Carry on dreaming.

typical.

You are more than welcome to the 'deadliest paper weights in history'. If you want them sitting on your doorstep - making your town a prime target should the worst happen - absolutely be my guest...take them feel free. But, like us, you won't have the means of propelling them anywhere. The only thing they'll ever blow up is you.

How's that for a gun to the head?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Scotland doesn't want nuclear weapons here and never did. During the Cold War with Russia when there was a perceived threat of a nuclear strike the English very thoughtfully placed all the nuclear weapons in Scotland so that any strike from Russia would obliterate Scotland..

Happily that hasn't happened but could still. If England wants to be a world superpower then why don't they keep their ammo in England.

When Scotland becomes independent, then all these things can be sent to England, but since Scottish money was used to build them we will want reimbursed for our share of the property.

edit on 15-1-2012 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Scottish independence would make the welfare and health budget more sustainable for any Westminster government; living standards between England and Scotland are enormous. Parts of Glasgow have life expectation levels worse than the Gaza Strip (East Glasgow, I believe).

Under the Barnett Formula, Scotland receives £8,623 (per person) - which equates to roughly £40 billion in total. The Scottish Office of the United Kingdom government gets an annual budget of £15 - 20 billion. So the Treasury would save £60 billion in the short term; this does not take into account the savings from welfare and health.

Currently, Scottish Executive welfare budget is in a surplus, but it is due to the Barnett formula. Remove Westminster from the maths and a deficit occurs.

Could oil revenues pay for free health care, university education, welfare and finance the national debt? England would take at least 10 - 20% of the oil revenue. Scotland would have to take its share of the the overall national debt; Scottish economy is only worth £220 billion. A debt to GDP ratio of over 60% would make Scotland unable to meet EU membership criteria, too. Whitehall plans have Scotland taking roughly £100 - 200 billion of the overall UK national debt. RBS debt-related specifically to Scotland-would be passed over, too.

Basic workings would calculate debt of 300+% of GDP post-independence Scotland.

In the medium to long term, England is financially better off. SNP have this odd opinion of independence, in which the English subsidise the army and currency. As Osborne rightly said, if Scotland wants independence then it will be given FULL independence - without any English support*

*Without sounding facetious, Scotland would be very high on the English foreign aid list.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Maybe there was a tactical reasoning behind why they keep nukes there. I really doubt they put them there in the hope the Russians would strike there. Seems like some people are just way to paranoid.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

Yes - there was a tactical reason. I grew up during the cold war - did you? Scotland is less densely populated than England. If there was a strike less of the pop. of the UK would die. That's why they were put here - tho' why they put them within 20 miles of Glasgow I will never know.

Do you still want them? Please please please take them.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Yeah I was alive and kicking during the cold war also. So quick to assume what you like.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I agree with a lot of what you say. Salmond is timing the referendum to capitalise on positive nationalism (commonwealth games etc) but his silence is deafening on the extremely pertinent issues you raise. (They played Braveheart twice a day on sky/cable for a month prior to the vote on devolution).
When will we informed of the solutions to these matters? Only after the referendum?

I for one want these matters debated and decided upon prior to any referendum taking place – but the solution may be too uncomfortable for the SNP to deal with.

It’s the rampant nationalism so easily induced in the Scots that leads me to believe they will indeed vote for independence. The majority of our young people never bother to vote – but you can be certain that with romanticised notions induced by Braveheart et al that they’ll vote in this referendum.

I’ll be voting against it myself. I have regular dealings with tptb in Scotland and am all too familiar with the little political dynasties and the institutional corruption they are capable of. Until they get that lot sorted out I wouldn’t even consider it.

edit on 15-1-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

Ach - your reading comprehension skills really do leave much to be desired. I ASKED if you grew up during the cold war - I did NOT ASSUME that you did not.

Now why are you against the break up again? Your abilities to generalise about the 'typical' confrontational conduct of an entire population hints at just a tad of racism. Do you really want to be associated with such a violent stereotype?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Independent Scotland:
England get their tory government
they get big empty aircraft carriers
Nukes
can cow toe to America
get to join in all the American oil wars
every thing gets privatized
you can expect bills for walking on the tar/pavements/medical bills/no workers rights/low pay/work till you drop/etc etc
Scotland will plod on with none of the above.Dont worry about us being skint we will get on just fine.

hasta la vista

edit on 15-1-2012 by clanger because: (no reason given)

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join