It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran displays captured US drone

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOdogg

Looks real but I doubt the shooting down of it. Supposedly it's programmed to fly and land when it loses radio contact, which appears to be the case here. Unfortunately it landed in Iran. If it were hit by enemy fire, I'm pretty sure the drone would be in pieces. I don't see a drone taking a hit and looking like that.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Although I am sure one of our fine members has pointed out the fact I wish to present, I thought I would present it anyway. This does not look like an aircraft that has been impacted in the air, and it seems obvious that it enacted a controlled landing, either remotely or via its internal computers.

Sorry if I missed something, but that is the most obvious thing that is nagging at me. It is possible that the drone may have been hit, but was able to land safely, although this begs the question...if it remained intact enough for a controlled landing, why didn't it still have the capability of flight? I say this because I see no discernible damage to the aircraft's exterior skin, airframe, or to the external hardware necessary for flight.

Wouldn't a controller just crash the drone if the possibility of falling into the hands of the enemy was real, thereby destroying as much evidence as possible? I would be willing to bet these sophisticated aircraft have a "scuttle" feature.

I believe that the most plausible explanation is that this drone landed, either remotely or via its own computers, in the captor's territory. I do not believe for one second that they shot this aircraft down. Really, who knows? Maybe these questions have already been answered, and if so, I apologize, as well as admit that I did not look into this event with the depth or fervor, tenacity or obsessive lunacy that I usually do. I actually think that my brain recently became full. Maxed out. Reached capacity. I will do a defragmentation now, so I will be back in about 12 hours.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOdogg

Iran displays captured US drone

www.bbc.co.uk

Iranian TV has shown the first video footage of an advanced US drone aircraft that Tehran says it shot down near the Afghan border.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Link: Officials Confirm Authenticity of Iranian TV Images Showing Lost U.S. Drone

With early knowledge that the aircraft had likely remained intact, the senior U.S. official also told Fox News that President Obama was presented with three separate options for retrieving or destroying the drone. The president ultimately decided not to proceed with any of the plans because it could have been seen as an act of war, the official told Fox News.

Obama is our finest Commander in Chief ever.

One stealth helicopter left behind, and now one stealth UAV left in the enemy's hands. Cannot wait to find out if they sell this thing to Russia or China.

Can we impeach this treasonous fool now?

edit on 12/8/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

What if they trojan horsed this drone to act like it malfunctioned and wandered in.
Then it just sits there listening to everything they say and do around it?
Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLDRAFT

What if they trojan horsed this drone to act like it malfunctioned and wandered in.
Just a thought.

If our military tried something like that, I would call them the dumbest people on Earth.

We spent decades perfecting stealth technology, and now there it sits in the hands of a dictator.

edit on 12/8/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Questions over whether it's real or a mock up (pretty impressive mock up, I think they could have discounted that using observed dimensions of the plane's attributes) and info as to how it could have crashed and remained intact rather than being shot down or taken over.

There were unconfirmed reports that RQ-170s flew missions over Iran to obtain information about its missile and nuclear programs in 2011.[22]

On 4 December 2011, Iran's semi-official Fars News Agency reported that the Iranian Army's electronic warfare unit[23] had downed an RQ-170 that violated Iranian airspace along its eastern border and captured the lightly damaged wreckage of the UAV, claiming that they had succeeded in hijacking its controls.[24] The Iranian government released footage of an alleged captured RQ-170 on 8 December.[25] The drone appeared to be largely undamaged.[26][27] The Department of Defense released a statement acknowledging that it had lost control of a UAV during the previous week, claiming that it was "flying a mission over western Afghanistan" when control was lost. The statement did not specify the model of the aircraft.

The U.S. government also stated that it was still investigating the cause of the loss.[28] On 5 December, U.S. military sources confirmed that the remains of an RQ-170 had been captured by Iranian forces. However, media reports indicated that various U.S. officials disagreed about whether the drone in the video released by Iranian state television was authentic. On December 8, a senior U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Washington Post that the U.S. cannot be certain the drone shown was real because the U.S. does not have access to it, but also stated that "We have no indication that it was brought down by hostile fire."[29] A second senior U.S. military official said that a major question is how the drone could have remained "virtually intact," given the high altitude at which it is thought to have crashed. U.S. Navy Captain John Kirby, a Pentagon spokesman, told a news conference on December 8 that Pentagon analysts were examining the video.[30] Both Kirby and fellow spokesman George Little would not comment further on whether the U.S. military believed the drone was the one missing, both did say that the missing drone had not been recovered.[31]

John E. Pike, director of GlobalSecurity.org told CNN that he guessed that the "drone" showed was a mock-up prepared for a parade, noting that the wings in the video droop down, while a real drone would have higher wings in the center. However, military aviation expert Bill Sweetman told CNN he believed that the drone displayed was real. Sweetman stated that it was most likely that the Iranians did not shoot down the plane,(citing the lack of burn marks, holes, or outward damage) or hack into the system. Instead, Sweetman told CNN that a system failure downed the plane, and that the plane could be intact from a what is known as a "flat spin" or "falling leaf departure," which would result in damage to the belly of the aircraft but little damage to other components. Sweetman noted a dent along the leading edge of the aircraft, noting that "The question is did that happen in the accident or whether they took them off to move the aircraft."[32]

On 6 December, U.S. officials acknowledged that a drone crashed in or near Iranian aerospace and that this belonged to the CIA and not to ISAF as was earlier stated. US officials did not state that the drone shown on Iranian television was actually a real RQ-170 (which has been public knowledge since 2009).[33]

Iran exhibited the alleged top-secret U.S. stealth drone RQ-170 Sentinel on Sunday, December 4. The alleged UAV appeared to be pristine and completely undamaged. The drone displayed by Iranian authorities on December 8 is mustard or beige in color and appears broken and mended in parts. It is "exceedingly difficult" to verify Iranians' claims about the drone.[34]

The drone was unveiled on Iranian state television and was shown in a video on an undisclosed location guarded by two men in military fatigues with slogans including "We'll trample America underfoot" (also translated "We will crush America under our boots")[35][36] and "America cannot do a damn thing" (a quote from Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini).[37].

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 8-12-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

It doesn't land when it loses radio contact... it would most likely go into a circular flight until it regained radio contact. It would be asking to put top secret engineering into enemy hands by having it just land.

They are programmed to crash themselves before landing.. It likely came down and landed on it's belly as explained in the wiki article.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Section31

LOL.. See how the article made you think negatively of a democrat? And left you thinking that over all else? That is because it's FOX news. How about you wait for a real news station to say.

"Yep, that's it," one senior official told Fox News. "And it's intact."

Who is "one senior official?" Senior official of what?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507
From what I have heard, these type of technologies have built in thermite like properties that will melt through all the sensitive classified electronic parts in addition to a device that can emit a powerful EMP blast internally to destroy as much of the less classified electronics as possible.

So they may have the drone, but the most important parts are most likely damaged beyond recognition with the rest of the electronics needing major repair. Even then, the software is most likely completely gone as well.

Maybe, maybe.
But that's IF the thermite-properties have been triggered, which doesn't look likely to be honest.
The first thing the Iranian's will be doing is getting samples of EVERYTHING on that thing.
Then they'll likely call in the experts from Russia and China to give them a hand

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Section31

Oh yeah? What if it's not? What if they just mocked up the body and flew it in? Cheap guts? Would explain some things.. You are obviously going to hate on anything this admin does.. come on, be better than that.

Ever consider this was a plane mocked up based on the destroyed one they found that did crash?
edit on 8-12-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyespying

Is there any reason why this is painted yellow?

Well it's less suble than pink and matches the terrain better than green or orange

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLDRAFT

Just a thought.

Wishful thinking from gloomy minds dude

2nd line.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well... As a result of this pathetic loss, the military is most likely working on a replacement. Chances are the design and technology will now be pulled from service.

Woof.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

So what the U.S will display Iran's palaces when they are occupied.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
There is no way the drone was hacked and controlled by Iran. I am absolutely certain the drone's communication protocol uses a type of challange-response authentication protocol.

Not only would Iran have to reverse engineer the communication protocol entirely, but they would also have to reverse engineer the encryption and decryption algorithm that is used to authenticate every command, challenge, and response, AND somehow know the correct challenges and responses to send and receive, AND reverse engineer the encryption of the radio signal itself. You can't just listen for the signals and then spoof the signals because the communication is based on command/response messages that are unique every time.

I've written server and client software that implements the same type of authentication protocol. You can't just send a "shut down" command from any client to the server because it is expecting a certain answer to a certain challenge and it has to be in the correct sequence.

The first command sequence is always 1, the second command sequence 2, the third command 3, etc., you can't just send a command with the sequence of 6 when it is expecting the sequence 4. That is just a layman explanation of numbered sequences. There can also be password sequences were the first command is a unique password, and the second is another unique password, and third is another... you can't just send any old password because it would be out of sequence.

Anyway...

I bet the drone's engine failed, and the computer glided the aircraft down to land, and Iran is just taking credit and claiming they were responsible.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Put a nuclear bomb on one of these. Then when the rug heads get ahold of it, kaboom.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

It was apparently electronically hijacked according to the op if a self destruct was on board I'm sure the operator responsible for the hijacked craft shut it off first, I know I would've if I knew what to look for. It does seem odd someone had the technical expertise to do this with such a high tech n probably highly classified piece of gear over in Iran tho just my opinion I guess

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jondave

I'm surprised they didn't high jack the craft outfit it with a bio weapon send it back up ASAP with appearence it just went off line for a bit and when it lands...
Far fetched I know I know

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

This is proof of covert military operations on Iran to me.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by pavil

It doesn't land when it loses radio contact... it would most likely go into a circular flight until it regained radio contact. It would be asking to put top secret engineering into enemy hands by having it just land.

They are programmed to crash themselves before landing.. It likely came down and landed on it's belly as explained in the wiki article.
en.wikipedia.org...

It can easily fly a loss com route back to base and wait for reconnection...in any case whether it can land or not it would fly to some loss com location established within its logic to hold, bellyland or land...

I still think it just loss its engine and that would allow Iran to get it before we could if it bellylanded.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join