It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Christians don't call their creator Allah ?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

We do but there are many names. Why do you use Aalah and not another name? (like)
God
Ancient of days
the I AM presence
Father
King of kings
And so on and on...........Why use a name and why only 1?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I think you missed her sarcasm.

I hope I did.
I sure hope she was sarcastic....

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
sorry, double post.
edit on 28-11-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChristianJihad

I'm referring to my people the Cherokee Nation, we have stories about Jesus that go back long before the white man set foot on this contenent.

No doubt they were oral stories and never written down ?

www.cherokeediscovery.com...

They were oral traditions originally. We didn't develop written language until the 1800's which was spurred by contact with the white men and because we wanted recognition by the white house of the United States (for all the good it didn't do us
and because the white men said we couldn't be recognized as a nation of peoples unless we had our own written language.

It wasn't until we learned english that we were able to make the connection between the Great Spirit and the God of the white men.
edit on 28-11-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Yes, the muslims are a protected people.
You can bash christianity,judaism...but say
one word against islam and you're labled a
islamaphobe or a bigot.

....but bombing their villages and towns makes one a hero right? Im guessing you are proud of your gun-toting, flag waving soldiers of christ?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The English word "God" was created in 1610 by King James.

He was losing power and had no money. So he ordered his people to bow to/pray to "God", as he got his people to pray to the Semitic Deity of Fortune....Gad.

You will find no use of the English word "God" anywhere's before 1610.

Christians pray for Fortune to the Semitic Deity of Fortune, Gad.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ChristianJihad

I also talk to G-d while I am driving my car on the interstate.
He and I have some serious talks then,because I get rattled
by those crazy drivers weaving in and out of traffic.
I also talk to G-d when using the bathroom,taking a shower...
I ask for His advice while here on ATS,He keeps my mouth
shut at times and prevents me from typing how I really feel.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I am a proud mother of a disabled vet and a grandmother
to two grandsons who served over in Iraq!
Yes,guns were involved while they were serving their country!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
The English word "God" was created in 1610 by King James.

He was losing power and had no money. So he ordered his people to bow to/pray to "God", as he got his people to pray to the Semitic Deity of Fortune....Gad.

You will find no use of the English word "God" anywhere's before 1610.

Christians pray for Fortune to the Semitic Deity of Fortune, Gad.

Really? I seem to remember praying for healing for other people and for the well being of the needy and the poor. I don't recall ever asking God for a pot of gold or money to fall out of the sky and hit me on the head. In fact i don't even pray for myself other, when i eat food i give thanks to God for allowning me to take sustenance from my meals.

Yeah i can definately remember nowhere in my prayers asking for cash money or good fortune or luck. I dunno who this Gad fellow is but whoever he is, he seems to favor only the rich and wealthy 1% that rules this world. As i recall it my God really has a strong dislike for wealthy selfish people who only want fortune.

Lol, damn i been praying to the wrong God i guess cuz i damn sure don't have any money!
edit on 28-11-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm assuming your asking this because you have haven't ever picked up a religous book in your life...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Wait, i thought you had two gods? Yhawe, right?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I suppose if you think about it, what are you really going to call some infinite, all-powerful transdimensional personality construct that you can't even comprehend, much less accurately define or describe? Basically, what are you going to call the personification of your own ignorance? "God" is as good a word as any, I suppose. "Allah" rolls off the tongue a little better. But naming inherently limits the thing that is not a thing, so any attempt at it is an ultimate foolishness.

Although, the "true name of 'God'" is supposed to have certain powers to those who know what it is and how to use it. The power to make things happen.

Personally, going by the Tetragrammaton ("YHWH"), I tend to think the name of the power source is a sound, not a word as we know it. It's the Doppler shift made by a car as it drives by you on a rain-slicked street. Or a jet as it flies by overhead. EEEEYYYAAAAHHHWWWWOOOO!

Of course, this is probably not the "real" God, since it is perceptible by us. There is no name for the Zen point. The Thing/Nothing. The (-----?-----).

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

It wasn't until we learned english that we were able to make the connection between the Great Spirit and the God of the white men.

The god of the white men was yahweh, you know the one that told them it was ok to capture and enslave other humans, steal their lands kill all the males rape their virgins and so on. Are you really saying that the native Americans' "Great Spirit" was this nut job ?

Where does jesus come into this and which jesus for that matter ? You are aware that there is no contemporaneous evidence for the bible jesus even existing let alone being a god ?

Please bear in mind that the jesus character that papers in the new testament like yahwhe also condoned slavery and if, as claimed by xtians is in fact one and the same being as yahwhe also condoned every other repugnant act and order of yahwhe ?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Well Christians or anyone else may as well call their 'God' Dave. Or Pete or Charlie, does it really matter? I care not what my neighbour thinks as long as I can think for myself, that's all that really matters

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
And my many Muslim friends would disagree with you. In fact, they have come here themselves.

I'll let them tell you you are wrong.

Wellllllll, they can begin by explaining away such as the following . . .

www.bible.ca...

Hubal and Allah the Moon God?

Islam: Truth or Myth?

Introduction to basic facts of history:

2. In Mecca, there was a god named Hubal who was Lord of the Kabah.
3. This Hubal was a moon god.

4. One Muslim apologist confessed that the idol of moon god Hubal was placed upon the roof of the Kaba about 400 years before Muhammad. This may in fact be the origin of why the crescent moon is on top of every minaret at the Kaba today and the central symbol of Islam atop of every mosque throughout the world:

About four hundred years before the birth of Muhammad one Amr bin Lahyo ... a descendant of Qahtan and king of Hijaz, had put an idol called Hubal on the roof of the Kaba. This was one of the chief deities of the Quraish before Islam. (Muhammad The Holy Prophet, Hafiz Ghulam Sarwar (Pakistan), p 18-19, Muslim)

5. The moon god was also referred to as "al-ilah". This is not a proper name of a single specific god, but a generic reference meaning "the god". Each local pagan Arab tribe would refer to their own local tribal pagan god as "al-ilah".

6. "al-ilah" was later shortened to Allah before Muhammad began promoting his new religion in 610 AD.
7. There is evidence that Hubal was referred to as "Allah".
. . .
8. Muhammad retained almost all the pagan rituals of the Arabs at the Kaba and redefined them in monotheistic terms.
9. Regardless of the specifics of the facts, it is clear that Islam is derived from paganism that once worshiped a moon-god.
. . .

remainder and links/sources at above link

Several quotes from Islamic & other enclycopedic etc sources:

comingworldwar3.wordpress.com...

“The Arabs, before the time of Mohammed, accepted and worshipped, after a fashion, a supreme god called Allah” – (Encyclopedia off Islam, I:302, Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1913, Houtsma)

“The name Allah, as the Quran itself is witness, was well known in pre-Islamic Arabia. Indeed, both it and its feminine form, Allat, are found not infrequently among the theophorous names in inscriptions from North Africa” – (Islam: Muhammad, and His Religion, New York: The Liberal Arts Press, 1958, p. 85)

The word “Allah” comes from the compound Arabic word, al-ilah. Al is the definite article “the” and ilah is an Arabic word for “god.” It is not a foreign word. It is not even the Syriac word for God. It is pure Arabic. – (There is an interesting discussion of the origins of Allah, in “Arabic Lexicographical Miscellanies” by J. Blau in the Journal of Semitic Studies, Vol. XVII, #2, 1972, pp. 173-190)

Neither is Allah a Hebrew or Greek word for God as found in the Bible. Allah is a purely Arabic term used in reference to an Arabian deity. Hastings’ Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics I:326, T & T Clark, states:

‘”Allah” is a proper name, applicable only to their [Arabs'] peculiar God.’

According to the Encyclopedia of Religion:

‘”Allah” is a pre-Islamic name . . . corresponding to the Babylonian Bel’ – (Encyclopedia of Religion, I:117 Washington DC, Corpus Pub., 1979)

For those who find it hard to believe that Allah was a pagan name for a peculiar pagan Arabian deity in pre-Islamic times, the following quotations may be helpful:

“Allah is found . . . in Arabic inscriptions prior to Islam” – (Encyclopedia Britannica, I:643)

“The Arabs, before the time of Mohammed, accepted and worshipped, after a fashion, a supreme god called Allah” – (Encyclopedia off Islam, I:302, Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1913, Houtsma)

“Allah was known to the pre-Islamic . . . Arabs; he was one of the Meccan deities” – (Encyclopedia off Islam, I:406, ed. Gibb)

“Ilah . . . appears in pre-Islamic poetry . . . By frequency of usage, al-ilah was contracted to Allah, frequently attested to in pre-Islamic poetry” – (Encyclopedia off Islam, III:1093, 1971)

to be continued

edit on 28/11/2011 by BO XIAN because: fix quote end

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I also talk to G-d while

If yawhe/ jesus doesn't care if you talk to him whilst using the toilet why on earth would he care if you leave the O out of god when you are writing ? You are really thinking GOD with an O and yawhe/jesus knows what you are thinking besides the word god can refer to any imginary being and is not unique to yaweh jesus.

At the end of the day if yahwheh/jesus was real who are you trying to kid ?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I have a better idea. Speak for no one else but yourself. A novel idea I know. Tell us what YOU find incorrect in what Muhammad actually said to his people.

It is cowardice to rely on the ole "but my friend said..." "but the serpent said..." "but Eve said..." "but the biased web link said..."

What do YOU say about what Mohammad said?

Please be sure to source your Mohammad quotes with the appropriate source for verification.

With Love,

Your Brother

edit on 28-11-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
And my many Muslim friends would disagree with you. In fact, they have come here themselves.

I'll let them tell you you are wrong.

They can tell the above and below scholars and reference works they are wrong, too.

LOL.

Again, various quotes from many Islamic and other reference works collected at:

comingworldwar3.wordpress.com...

“The name Allah goes back before Muhammad” – (Encyclopedia of World Mythology and Legend, I:41, Anthony Mercatante, New York, The Facts on File, 1983)

“The origin of this (Allah) goes back to pre-Muslim times. Allah is not a common name meaning “God” (or a “god”), and the Muslim must use another word or form if he wishes to indicate any other than his own peculiar deity” – (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics, I:326, Hastings)

To the testimony of the above standard reference works, we add those of such scholars as Henry Preserved Smith of Harvard University who has stated:

“Allah was already known by name to the Arabs” – (The Bible and Islam: or, The Influence of the Old and New Testament on the Religion of Mohammed, New York, Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1897, p. 102)

Dr. Kenneth Cragg, former editor of the prestigious scholarly journal Muslim World and an outstanding modern Western Islamic scholar, whose works are generally published by Oxford University, comments:

“The name Allah is also evident in archeological and literary remains of pre-Islamic Arabia” – (The Call of the Minaret, New York: Oxford University Press, 1956, p. 31)

“In recent years I have become increasingly convinced that for an adequate understanding of the career of Muhammad and the origins of Islam great importance must be attached to the existence in Mecca of belief in Allah as a “high god.” In a sense this is a form of paganism, but it is so different from paganism as commonly understood that it deserves separate treatment” – (William Montgomery Watt, Muhammad’s Mecca, p. vii. Also see his article, “Belief in a High God in Pre-Islamic Mecca”, Journal of Semitic Studies, Vol. 16, 1971, pp. 35-40)

Caesar Farah in his book on Islam concludes his discussion of the pre-Islamic meaning of Allah by saying:

“There is no reason, therefore, to accept the idea that Allah passed to the Muslims from the Christians and Jews” – (Islam: Beliefs and Observations, New York, Barrons, 1987, p. 28)

According to Middle East scholar E.M. Wherry, whose translation of the Quran is still used today, in pre-Islamic times Allah-worship, as well as the worship of Ba-al, were both astral religions in that they involved the worship of the sun, the moon, and the stars – (A Comprehensive Commentary on the Quran, Osnabruck: Otto Zeller Verlag, 1973, p. 36)

Astral Religions

In Arabia, the sun god was viewed as a female goddess and the moon as the male god. As has been pointed out by many scholars such as Alfred Guilluame, the moon god was called by various names, one of which was Allah! – (Islam, p. 7)

The name Allah was used as the personal name of the moon god, in addition to other titles that could be given to him.

Allah, the moon god, was married to the sun goddess. Together they produced three goddesses who were called “the daughters of Allah.” These three goddesses were called Al-Lat, Al-Uzza, and Manat.

The daughters of Allah, along with Allah and the sun goddess were viewed as “high” gods. That is, they were viewed as being at the top of the pantheon of Arabian deities.

Continued at link above

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

In fact, the use of the flag as a focus of allegiance is a recurring theme for things that are "bad" for Christians to do.

Of Flags -

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
When God came down to earth, he chose to reveal himself as Jesus the " Imago Dei" The image of God.

These silly arguments are pointless, Christianity teaches that Jesus is God. Christians are to see God through Jesus as revealed by the father in heaven.
We call God Jesus

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join