It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Kraken Lair Discovered

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Giant Kraken Lair Discovered

www.geosociety.org

Even more creepy: The arranged vertebrae resemble the pattern of sucker discs on a cephalopod tentacle, with each vertebra strongly resembling a coleoid sucker. In other words, the vertebral disc “pavement” seen at the state park may represent the earliest known self portrait.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.physorg.com
sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
A friend of mine told me about this article. What I find amazing is that this is proof of possible Non Human Intelligences that may currently be moving around in the world.

I searched for the specific title of this article and did not get a hit. If it has been posted before I apologize.

www.geosociety.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

A few other proofs of Cephalopods intelligence.

NOVA Spineless Smarts

Cuttlefish: An Intelligent Cephalopod

Cuttlefish Husbandry

Are you smarter than a Cuttlefish?
edit on 13/10/11 by Attrei because: more data

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
wow that sure is odd.

id hate to run into one in a dark ally somewhere at the bottem of the ocean.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Attrei

Non Human Intelligences that may currently be moving around in the world.

When you say Non human Intelligences.. I think of . aliens not octopus. if you consider those "intelligent" surely all other living creatures in the animal kingdom are non human intelligences moving around in the world ?

perhaps im just confused.. amazing find anyway

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
What I mean by Non-Human intelligences is ones that have equivalent or near equivalent perhaps even greater intelligence to Humanity. If the Kraken was capable of making a self-portrait that makes it much more intelligent than any other creature we have discovered so far.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Very cool finding!

I'm curious however, if the patterns shown in the picture could possibly be from the actual suckers?

Regardless, I can only imagine the horror one would experience (as a time traveling scuba diver, naturally) seeing this thing in its lair. Slowly drifting down from the lit surface with a giant 45 foot long "predator" in its grasp, the beak "click click clicking" getting ready for dinner.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Attrei

I saw this article as well, very interesting. I don't think the scientists involved will win too many friends calling this the kraken, after all this creature lived millions of years ago, far too long ago to have been the inspiration for the kraken legend. There are other animals far more likely to have inspired the legends, such as the giant squid.

edit on 13-10-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Very cool, Could be a highly mutated form of Octopus or something that escaped from crack in the sea floor since the plates are so unsteady out there..Id like to hear more about this, cool post!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attrei

www.geosociety.org

The link above contains another link to a video showing how an octopus does in a shark:

Now, consider a Kraken doing the same with the giants that roamed the oceans way back then. Pretty easy to see how they would have handled things.

I'd sure like to see pics of those 'arranged bones'. How cool is that? Good housekeeping kraken style.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Attrei

Though I really would like to believe this, I've seen some pretty convincing skeptical opinions about this, for instance www.wired.com...

So I dunno....I'd have to see all the evidence, but from what I've read, it doesn't seem like there really is much. So for now, I'm gonna remain on the skeptical side of the fence (though this is one of those things that I'd love to be proven true)
edit on 13-10-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: No reason....I just like to edit stuff randomly.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attrei
What I mean by Non-Human intelligences is ones that have equivalent or near equivalent perhaps even greater intelligence to Humanity. If the Kraken was capable of making a self-portrait that makes it much more intelligent than any other creature we have discovered so far.

“It became very clear that something very odd was going on there,” said McMenamin. “It was a very odd configuration of bones.”

First of all, the different degrees of etching on the bones suggested that the shonisaurs were not all killed and buried at the same time. It also looked like the bones had been purposefully rearranged. That it got him thinking about a particular modern predator that is known for just this sort of intelligent manipulation of bones.

“Modern octopus will do this,” McMenamin said. What if there was an ancient, very large sort of octopus, like the kraken of mythology. “I think that these things were captured by the kraken and taken to the midden and the cephalopod would take them apart.”

In the fossil bed, some of the shonisaur vertebral disks are arranged in curious linear patterns with almost geometric regularity, McMenamin explained.The proposed Triassic kraken, which could have been the most intelligent invertebrate ever, arranged the vertebral discs in double line patterns, with individual pieces nesting in a fitted fashion as if they were part of a puzzle.

Even more creepy: The arranged vertebrae resemble the pattern of sucker discs on a cephalopod tentacle, with each vertebra strongly resembling a coleoid sucker. In other words, the vertebral disc “pavement” seen at the state park may represent the earliest known self portrait.

edit on 13-10-2011 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

You beat me to it, damn! But the point is there is no evidence of the "kraken" itself. Nearly impossible to prove a murder without a body and the same principal is true here. In order to claim there is a Kraken you need to be able to show a body, not neatly arranged bones of other animals.

Here is the follow up post:
www.wired.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It organized the bones? IT ORGANIZED THE BONES???

Yipes!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Octopi are nothing to mess with.
The idea of the Kraken actually exsisting just boosted the creepy factor by 100.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Eh... this is really sketchy. It's be better if there were bite marks indicative of a beak, or fossilized beaks of octopi of size inthat time period.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I feel the need to make an HP Lovecraft quote about Cthulhu.

Just think we still don't know what made the "Bloop" sound that was picked up across the Pacific when it called.

How do we know these things are really extinct?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
That's no Kraken, it's an Elder Thing!

But in all seriousness, I think this could be a very important discovery related to the development of intelligence, especially if they can prove it.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Attrei

some information on this here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Love this story thanks for the info

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Good question. As biologists come up with increasingly clever ways to film deep-water colossal squid (close relative to the Octopus) in their natural habitat, they continue to be amazed at not only the sheer size, but the speed of these creatures.

They recently caught the largest known squid in the New Zealand in 2007, it measured 35 feet in length. However, Japanese whalers have found remnants of squid arms in the bellies of Sperm whales that DWARF the size of the whole specimen's arms captured in 2007.

www.tonmo.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Don't tell me.........In the whitehouse?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join