It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Kraken Lair Discovered

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Cool thread

Allow me to link to a very long picture:

www.gizmodo.com.au...

basically a vertically aligned picture showing just how deep our oceans are compared to our mountains and such - also give information regarding human diving levels, types of predators and ... well... basically just how deep and mysterious our oceans really are.

I don't doubt there are ancient and fantastic creatures down there.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The coelacanth was not a legendary beast of folklore. And yes it wasn't likely to be alive, it just happened to have survived undetected by science until recently.

If you're are suggesting that because the coelacanth is still alive that means these giant octopi survived long enough to inspire the kraken legend I think that's fallacious reasoning. Merely because one species manages to survive millions of years relatively unchanged doesn't mean that any or all species that old are likely to survive unchanged. In fact they are unlikely to do so. The coelacanth is the exception, NOT THE RULE.

Of course it's possible that giant octopus managed to inspire the legend but that doesn't make it likely or probable. The entire point of my first post was that this scientist isn't going to win many friends calling this the kraken for this exact reason. They have no evidence that this is the octopus that inspired the kraken legends, this one lived millions of years ago and that's all they have evidence for thus far.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join