It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police to Seattle protest supporters: Honk if you'd like a ticket

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This is typical Seattle passive aggressiveness. The SPD can't directly go after the protesters (unless they do something actually illegal) so instead they are going after the drivers because they can enforce the noise ordinance. I was in Westlake yesterday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised by how the protestors were behaving themselves, yet I was horrified to see that there was a policeman for every half dozen protestors.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
well if you are in Seattle and see a red tundra drive by with its horn blasting thats me

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Excessive ?
they give out tickets for wedding processions too ? ?
They're just trying to break any solidarity.

Train horn, o.k now these would be excessive www.trainhornexpress.com...

edit on 9/10/11 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
watch somebody get in an accident that could of been prevented from using their horn, and the city get sued for damages.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Why are any of you protesting this?..

You speak of change, but many (if not all) are not willing to make the hardest choice one could ever make (I need not explain what that is, you should already know).. could you "deal" with your best friend?, could you do what is necessary to achieve what is needed for the many versus the self selected few?

I doubt "MANY" if not nearly all here, could not make the choice needed to allow change to happen...

You want to "stop" these ridiculous laws, then it will take more then words, and definitely more then talk...

Go back to sleep, you have no idea what the "real world" expects you to do if you really want change...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
You can still honk in support from 6AM to 10PM. It's just those other hours. A lot of cities have those kind of laws, since a lot of people do have to sleep at night. It isn't specifically because of the protest.

Normally cops don't get to ding people on it, since who's going to bother calling a cop in the wee hours of the morning just to complain about it? But have a bunch of cops standing around a crowd and itching to do something - now that's why those tickets are being handed out.

As an alternative, I'd suggest briefly using the hazard lights as a show of support during the "quiet hours". The other quiet alternative to a horn at night is flashing the high-beams to get attention, but with cops around they still might find some excuse to ding people on it.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Don't get me wrong I'm 100% for the protesters, I went to the one in vegas but you have to use a little common sense on some of this stuff. If everyone is honking their horns past 11 p.m. what about the people living in the area that are trying to get some sleep? I know I would be getting pretty aggravated, so I think the police are doing a service there.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaws1975

Don't get me wrong I'm 100% for the protesters, I went to the one in vegas but you have to use a little common sense on some of this stuff. If everyone is honking their horns past 11 p.m. what about the people living in the area that are trying to get some sleep? I know I would be getting pretty aggravated, so I think the police are doing a service there.

Since when does anybody in Vegas sleep?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

And how will that stand up in court?

Don't advertise such stupidity. Stay focused on pushing the movement, not on abusing the police that, months from now, will be actually enforcing the policy it causes.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I find it strange how people are only commenting on this when it happened to people supporting protesters. Don't you guys know it been illegal to honk for any reason other than emergencies for years? Honking to call someone out of the house can actually result in a fine of the same amount. Not saying anything about cop preferences for who to give tickets too though.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

First of all, the law was most likely passed because of the incessant sounding of people's car horns in a major metropolitan city. The sound, during peak traffic hours and gridlock traffic is or would probably be deafening.

That is why most major cities have laws like these including New York City.

The officer is not trying to silence the support for the protest. The officer probably does not care even care what the people are protesting for. The officer is simply trying to enforce the law so that the use of a horn is in emergencies only to try to cut down on the noise pollution.

Second, if you disagree with the law lobby to have it changed. Start a petition and if you can show your local representative that enough people agree with you they will attempt to bring the issue up at the next legislative session.

Blaming the police for a law that is passed by the legislature to try to address the problem of noise pollution is completely rediculous.

Oh, and seriously, the police bashers will jump on ANY issue to try to paint the picture that we are living in a police state. This is such a rediculous thing to get all bent out of shape about.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

For this to fly is...... well it might as well be China as a previous posted said.

Seriously, stop it.

This law was put into place because a few citizens of the city got together and said, "you know these people blowing their horns for no reason is really really REALLY loud, uneccesary and annoying." So they went to their local representative and said something. So then that representative brought it up in legislative session and enough representatives agreed so they passed a law saying you can only use your horn in an emergency to give warning.

In authoritarian regimes it would go a little something like this.

The central party bans speaking out against the government. A government informer finds out that you have a dissenting opinion about the government. You are executed and your family is sent to jail.

Democracy and authoritarian regimes draw no parallels. Stop being rediculous.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Haha, what a sad state of affairs we're in when the police start handing out tickets (read: generating revenue) for people honking their horns.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Well maybe you are not aware that there are laws on the books for improper use of your auto's emergency warning system. Improper use of a horn is a ticketable of offense. many states have this on their books. A horn is to be used only for telling other drivers your brakes have gone out or others emergency issues for safety concerns only. Honking at or for friends or family is not allowed. Also improper use of your emergency flashers is another one.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by areyouserious2010
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

For this to fly is...... well it might as well be China as a previous posted said.

Seriously, stop it.

This law was put into place because a few citizens of the city got together and said, "you know these people blowing their horns for no reason is really really REALLY loud, uneccesary and annoying." So they went to their local representative and said something. So then that representative brought it up in legislative session and enough representatives agreed so they passed a law saying you can only use your horn in an emergency to give warning.

In authoritarian regimes it would go a little something like this.

The central party bans speaking out against the government. A government informer finds out that you have a dissenting opinion about the government. You are executed and your family is sent to jail.

Democracy and authoritarian regimes draw no parallels. Stop being rediculous.

Actually it was AAA and the auto insurers who got the bill passed because there were emergency issues at hand that they could be sued for. so limited horn use to emergency situations only it is on just about every States law books.

some of you guys really need to gt off "the conspiracy behind every door" Juice. and breath in some truth and reality for a few.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
every one still talks about how much freer America is .And then post after post is how the police are inforcing another law that has NO crime being committed a civil law if you will.
Tell me exactly what freedom you have ?? OO im free to come here and post about it? lol that is funny sure talk they love to keep you all talking the more you talk the less you do to stop them .
If china or Russia used this method they would have never have problems .
The reality is our government is just as controlling as any other . They are just sneaker about how they control you. Divide and conker . For against for against I w say this you say that we spend all our time repeating the same things over and over and NO time changing any thing . Yes they love just how stupid we are .
after all look how long the Obama birth thing lasted .They LOVED you guys for that all your time bein g spent on it (after the fact) which couldn't be changed in 3 years even if it was true.
And durning taht time thye spent more money wasted more time made more laws and gess what you dont have a clue as to what they passed or were they spent more money.
So keep up the he says she says they love it UNITED WE STAND ((((DIVIDED WE FALL))) and we are as divided as we could possibly be

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dagobert
This is typical Seattle passive aggressiveness. The SPD can't directly go after the protesters (unless they do something actually illegal) so instead they are going after the drivers because they can enforce the noise ordinance. I was in Westlake yesterday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised by how the protestors were behaving themselves, yet I was horrified to see that there was a policeman for every half dozen protestors.

or perhaps they're doing their jobs by protecting the rest of our rights to have some peace and quiet. Thats why there is this thing called "Disturbing the peace", you see?

The world does not revolve around you and the protestors. You are the 1% of the 99%. Now, please, fall in line and stop honking your damn horns.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well the City doesn't stand a chance on this one. I think the Mayor's going to come out with egg all over his face over this.

City of Seattle Noise Ordinance Laws:

25.08.480 - Motor vehicle exemptions

Sounds created by motor vehicles are exempt from the exterior sound level limits of Subchapter III, except that sounds created by any motor vehicle operated off highways shall be subject to the exterior sound level limits of Subchapter III when the sounds are received within a residential district of the City.

(Ord. 122923, § 27, 2009; Ord. 106360 § 406, 1977.)

44. "Unreasonable noise" means loud and raucous, and frequent, repetitive, or continuous sounds that are audible to a person of normal hearing at a distance of seventy-five (75) feet or more from the source of the noise.

Unreasonable noise may be created by:
b. Any horn or siren attached to a motor vehicle, except such sounds that are made to warn of danger or that are specifically permitted or required by law;

B. It is unlawful for any person in a public place located in a nighttime zone between the hours of twelve o'clock (12:00) a.m. and five o'clock (5:00) a.m...

Okay, what ordinances was he violating?

Car horns - exempted.
Was it "unreasonable"? NO
Was it "frequent and continuous"? NO
Was it "repetitive"? NO
Was it "between 12 AM - 5AM? NO

Case dismissed.

Seattle Municipal Code - Noise Control
Nighttime Noise Ordinance

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

One hundred applauses for you my friend,

Nothing better than the voice of reason and a great analytical mind to show the police apologist that they are in the wrong with facts.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

Okay, what ordinances was he violating?

The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his or her horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.

RCW46.37.380
Copied right from the Washigton State Law. All it took was a little research.

So yes, because the guy used his horn for a purpose other than to give audible warning that is reasonably necessary, the driver was in violation of the traffic law. If you violate the law you can be stopped and written a citation.

Car horns - exempted.
Was it "unreasonable"? NO
Was it "frequent and continuous"? NO
Was it "repetitive"? NO
Was it "between 12 AM - 5AM? NO

Motor vehicles are exempted from the noise ordinance but not from the traffic law stated above.

Case dismissed.

Guilty. Pay the fine. Especially if you are the guy's defense attorney.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join