It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Union just voted to join the Occupy Wall Street protests!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
good for them.

Supprt your local unions. Union labor is the way to go.
Buy American and build union!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Originally posted by AzureSky
reply to post by macman

Irrelevant.
They're not marching right there, they're at the park which is still public space. People bring their families down there, and have been for the last couple weeks too.

This is for everyone. Does not matter about what union your in, or what party you voted for, or what color your skin is. It is a global movement that is spreading.

The protests starting in europe are in solidarity with #occupywallstreet, vice versa, and whatever.

Global change. For a global problem

Um no, it is very relevant.
It shows the great hypocrisy.
It is ok to bring kids to a Protest, so long as it is against the Banks.
It is not ok when it is to protest the Govt if the "Tea Party" is used anywhere.

He wasn't in the protest, he was at the occupation. Which is in libertyplaza. Which is a public park. So there IS nothing wrong with it. And if i was 9, i would be out there too.

Im sure he wanted to come.

But still, it is a moot point. Because we are fighting for their future as well. And they deserve to see how we are doing it.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

reply to post by macman

Irrelevant.
They're not marching right there, they're at the park which is still public space. People bring their families down there, and have been for the last couple weeks too.

This is for everyone. Does not matter about what union your in, or what party you voted for, or what color your skin is. It is a global movement that is spreading.

The protests starting in europe are in solidarity with #occupywallstreet, vice versa, and whatever.

It is not ok when it is to protest the Govt if the "Tea Party" is used anywhere.

I bet many of the protesters cheered on the Tea Party when they were rolling on the establishment. I'm also sure they would be welcome as long as it wasn't a platform for the Tea Party. Notice these people (for the most part) aren't really grandstanding any particular agenda. They just want to shift the power.

By shift the power, I refer to their demands. One of them is to place the Federal Reserve in the hands of congress (it's currently controlled by private interests). This is something that everybody can agree on. Even the people who want to abolish the Federal Reserve understand that we first need to be able to control it before we can rebuke it.

Bottom line: Tea Party is welcome to join and would be appreciated.

edit on 29-9-2011 by Cuervo because: Clarifying.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
they're trying to co-opt the protest and bring in some communism for the worker. If people aren't protesting the end of the central banking cartel then there is really no point in going after wall street.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

From what I can tell there is nothing stopping anyone joining this protest, no matter what your political beliefs are. This is an opportunity for conservatives and moderates and libertarians to be part of the debate, why not join it and put your ideas forward. Maybe they lack the direction that a more moderate and constitutionally literate individual such as yourself could bring. I'm not saying that you should make your way to New York, but conservatives who share your or similar beliefs who are closer to NYC should make their voices heard. I'm sure the protest would welcome some alternative view points.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This is getting exciting! I am really hoping that this will take off across the country. I plan to go to the OccupyDC movement on Oct 6th. Please look at the OccupyTogether.org website to find a movement near you and GET INVOLVED!! Whether you are pro-union or not, conservative or liberal, black or white--It doesn't matter! Stop letting them divide us. UNITE!!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I wonder what will happen if the courts finally stop stalling and make a ruling on the dispute between the Longshoremen and EGT... If the ruling goes against the Longshoremen, it won't be pretty, I'd imagine... A little off topic, but could tie in down the road. We shall see.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by Calex1987

Now, we just need to find that modern day Boston Tea Party.

I seriously doubt that these union people need to find a Tea Party of any kind. I think that your present day Tea Party has pretty much ruined any hope of attracting reasonable people to any movement affiliated with that name. Unions are kings when it comes to organizing people behind a common goal anyway. In reality, it's the Tea Party that could learn a few things from unions but their hatred for them won't allow it.

I think Jon Stewart put it best when he said that trying to get the GOP/Tea Party to accept facts is harder than trying to get your dog to swallow a big pill. First, you have to wrap it in bologna, then you have to hold their nose while you shove it in their mouth, then you have to massage their throat until they swallow it completely. Even after all that, more than likely they will throw it up on the floor. Pretty good description if you ask me.

I am not talking about this Tea Party.

I am talking about this Tea Party

Man, our education system sucks.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
And this is what the "new age of enlightenment" has come down to. Various groups of mobsters attacking other groups of mobsters for the scarce change that is still left in our society.
Funny how I hardly see anybody standing up for the end of the looting, everybody is to busy trying to get their hands on the loot.

"Please Mr. Government stop giving the money you stole to those guys, give it to us instead!"

Looks to me like a skirmish in a bad mob movie!

As for the "Unions", or organized crime...
...everything they touch, they destroy...and "Guess who gets to pay the price?"

Pathetic!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Sorry for the low quality. I’m a US Navy veteran. After 6 months of unemployment I got a job that barely pays enough to keep a roof or my family’s heads and put (barely enough) food on our table. My car was repossessed and we don’t have a phone to call 911 in case my 8 month old stops breathing. We have no health insurance. We’re so far behind on bills that I have no idea how we’re going to get caught up. I’m proud to be a veteran but I’m sickened by the way our government has thrown so many of use to the wayside. We are the 99%. UNITED WE STAND My heart goes out to those that are worse off than us. I sincerely hope that change can be made in this country. There are too many people that worked for their education and are now homeless and going hungry because their student loan payments are too high and there are no jobs available. Thank you to everyone in NYC that are camping on the streets trying to make a difference.

At 18, I lost my home, my mother, had just graduated, and had no job. I’m 19 now, living with a friend, was denied insurance because I make “too much” at my minimum wage job that I’m close to being fired from and I go to college almost full time. I have anxiety/depression disorders and now-since I’ve been denied insurance-I have no idea how to pay the doctor. I am the 99%…..(and I’m sick of it)

am 61. Lost my job, my place to live over a year ago. Moved in w/ my children. Thought that would never happen. They are struggling too! Thank God for my children and their families. Thank my CHILDREN!!! I Am The 99% OccupyWallStreet.org This is my mother. She also has cataracts & can hardly see (She doesn’t think I know how bad it is) & she has no insurance. She doesn’t qualify for medical assistance. She sleeps on our couch b/c we don’t have an extra bed room. She deserves more.

[no job = no insurance = no help = no job] my diagnosed mental illness would make life hard, even in a good economy. I’m terrified of what’s going to happen to me once my family can’t afford to help me anymore. I am scared. At freshly 22, I’ve already lost one job because of my anxiety, and finding that was a huge, daunting two year task. All I need is a little therapy and some medications, but I can’t afford it, and the state insurance I’m on has cut back everything. I can’t afford the co-pays to go to a doctor, and even f I could, the dates for the overworked doctors are months and months away. I’m in line for a psych eval, but it’s not till late Oct. I made the appt in the beginning of Sept. I’m fighting my way through community college for the money, because I am lucky enough to qualify for federal aid. I know if I ever get those 60-some-odd credits, it will amount to absolutely nothing in the real world, but it’s a solution for now. Health, and the ability to work, shouldn’t be something exclusive to those who can afford it. I am (part of) the 99%

Source

Its called compassion for your fellow man. I may have a decent job(not too bad, still not enough). But i have 40k in student loan debt. I have a credit card i cannot get ahead on, my bills are racking up. Luckily i just moved in with my girlfriend and we're splitting the bills, and she is 10k in debt, and she JUST started school. She may not have a job after college. We are the 99 #ing percent.
edit on 29/9/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/9/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

The Tea Party of 1773 was not a protest "against taxes." It was a protest against paying taxes to a government of which they had no representation hence the slogan of the time; "No Taxation Without Representation."

I'm not sure that I could argue today that I have no representation. The problem today is that corporate lobbyist have drowned out my voice to the ear of my representative and we end up with a government that is of, by and for special interest as opposed to the original intent of having one that's of, by and for the people. Today's Tea Party has IMO, misused the term and given it a bad name and I think it may be quite some time before it recovers.

At this point, my wife & I feel a little uncomfortable having "tea parties" with our grand-daughter.

edit on 29-9-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
So...is the Transit Workers Union AFL-CIO? Because their elPresidente, Richard Trumka, is the MOST frequent visitor on White House 'Visitor Logs' yet, The Administration has bailed out Wall Street and the 'Banksters' again and again...and re-electing Hope and Change costs some heavy coin (like from the Wall Street types who frequent those 38K a plate fundraisers..)

Talk about playing both sides and the middle too.

Instrad of vague references to an 'American Spring' how about some definitive answers from DC about why the Federal mortgage homeowner bail out program is only 50% effective (Americans losing their homes).

This is all grand theatre...like when the G20 meets...it becomes a reason to trash the business district of the host city? It accomplishes nothing.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

You are taking my statement to an extreme and even a little out of context.

I was merely stating that as an idea to make a point. I do not want to argue semantics.
I am well aware of what the Boston Tea Party was and was not.
edit on 29-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

Irrelevant.

He wasn't in the protest, he was at the occupation. Which is in libertyplaza. Which is a public park. So there IS nothing wrong with it. And if i was 9, i would be out there too.

Im sure he wanted to come.

But still, it is a moot point. Because we are fighting for their future as well. And they deserve to see how we are doing it.

Oh, so since the child shown is not at the actual protest, but down the street, but with protesters it is ok.
So long as they are against the banks.

I get it. I get it.

Just want you to say that out loud, so yo can hear how hypocritical it sounds.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

reply to post by macman

Irrelevant.

I bet many of the protesters cheered on the Tea Party when they were rolling on the establishment. I'm also sure they would be welcome as long as it wasn't a platform for the Tea Party. Notice these people (for the most part) aren't really grandstanding any particular agenda. They just want to shift the power.

By shift the power, I refer to their demands. One of them is to place the Federal Reserve in the hands of congress (it's currently controlled by private interests). This is something that everybody can agree on. Even the people who want to abolish the Federal Reserve understand that we first need to be able to control it before we can rebuke it.

Bottom line: Tea Party is welcome to join and would be appreciated.

edit on 29-9-2011 by Cuervo because: Clarifying.

I don't see these people yelling "Hurray" for the Tea Party.
These people are against the banks.
The Tea Party is against ever growing Govt.

Kind of like the Bloods and Crips getting together. Ain't gonna happen.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda
So...is the Transit Workers Union AFL-CIO? Because their elPresidente, Richard Trumka, is the MOST frequent visitor on White House 'Visitor Logs' yet, The Administration has bailed out Wall Street and the 'Banksters' again and again...and re-electing Hope and Change costs some heavy coin (like from the Wall Street types who frequent those 38K a plate fundraisers..)

Talk about playing both sides and the middle too.

Instrad of vague references to an 'American Spring' how about some definitive answers from DC about why the Federal mortgage homeowner bail out program is only 50% effective (Americans losing their homes).

This is all grand theatre...like when the G20 meets...it becomes a reason to trash the business district of the host city? It accomplishes nothing.

Yep, and just imagine when the Banker that manages the Union Accounts sees this.
"Gona be some splain'en to do"

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

The Bankers Control Governments. That is becoming clearer by the day. You can protest the government all you like, but they are always going to be either in the pockets of the bankers or 2 steps behind them.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by macman

The Bankers Control Governments. That is becoming clearer by the day. You can protest the government all you like, but they are always going to be either in the pockets of the bankers or 2 steps behind them.

Really?
I think it might be the other way around, or more so hand in hand.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I will be taking my kids as well.

This will probably be the best learning experience they have had in their short lives.

It is a chance for them to learn what the public school systems have failed to teach.
This is the sort of thing that the schools do not teach, they do not want the kids to know they can protest and publically make known their complaints. The schools have taught them to just be quiet and do what they are told, now we as parents can un-learn what they have been taught.

Also, if we target the government first then we still have the banks nipping at our heals creating obstacles and other scenarios to get in our way. Remove the bank problem, then we will not have them getting in our way.

edit on 29-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by macman

I will be taking my kids as well.

This will probably be the best learning experience they have had in their short lives.

It is a chance for them to learn what the public school systems have failed to teach.
This is the sort of thing that the schools do not teach, they do not want the kids to know they can protest and publically make known their complaints. The schools have taught them to just be quite and do what they are told, now we as parents can un-learn what they have been taught.

Ok, great thing about the US is you have the right to do so.

Please don't in turn post about how horrific parents are for taking their kids to tea party rallies then.
Not just directed to you, but as a broad general statement.

Stay safe as this protest has the potential for becoming violent and out of control.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join