It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dale Farm eviction: live

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Dale Farm eviction: live

www.telegraph.co.uk

Live coverage as council bailiffs prepare to evict hundreds of travellers and their supporters from the Dale Farm site on greenbelt land near Basildon in Essex.

10.50 A little bit of context about the goings on at Dale Farm: The planned evictions are the culmination of a decade long battle between the travellers and Basildon Council. The row centres on 51 illegal pitches that were built without planning permission and are home to 400 people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.u k
news.sky.com
www.echo-news.co.uk

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
They're battening down the hatches, chaining their hands together inside concrete filled drums and barricading the fences with brick walls. Thousands of activists are joining them from all over Europe to help prevent the eviction, and cameras are rolling to catch any breaches to human rights.

On the one hand they're illegally situated on greenbelt land. Local natives are sick of them and claim crime has gone up in the area. The other side of the story is they're living on a scrapyard and if they're removed from here with nowhere else to go, they'll have to illegally set up a camp somewhere else.

Should they be allowed to stay or should they be removed? At the minute I can't make up my mind. I feel sorry for villagers who want a quiet life but I feel sorry for the folk in the camp who want a quiet life too.

Rumours are, they already own houses in Ireland. I suspect that to be the case for a few of them but not the hundreds living in the camp.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-9-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
why can't they just get jobs and houses and pay their taxes like everyone else?

I'm not allowed to turn up on someones land, build a camp and do what the # I like, so why should anyone else be allowed either?

i think the government takes the piss as much as the next man, but on this one, they have my whole hearted support.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I've ran into more than a couple "travelers" here in the US. Heard more than one 1st hand experience from someone these SOB's screwed over.

Travelers should have been sent packing A LONG time ago.

Vile, worthless gypsies. Will cheat and steal faster than they will work ANY job!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Every time I hear of or see Travellers, I can't help but think of that classic line from "Snatch."

Bleeping Pikies!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
The funny thing is they bought this land and tried to improve their conditions. Its just that they didnt have building permission for the housing.

The council want to turf them out but allow the pikeys to illegally camp and destroy other peoples land and dont do a thing.

Ive no doubt once they move on, they will set up camp on some poor farmers land and we will have an even worse situation.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Bulldoze the lot, including the activists (nee unemployed). The legal wrangle is over, you lost tuff #, deal with it. Perhaps it's about time some pretend do-gooder got hurt. I notice that Gloria Hunniford has now turned up...perhaps her and Vanessa Redgrave will offer them some of their land....don't hold your breath though. Do as the likeys have just discovered that they cant....shame

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
How can they be 'travellers' if they have been there for 10 years ?

Doesn't sounds like your typical traveller to me.
I thought your typical traveller [snip] off once they had used the local resources illegally, threatened everyone and dumped tons of rubbish everywhere.

It's a shame all of those tree huggers have sided with the pikeys.
edit on 19/9/11 by masqua because: Edited censor circumvention

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

remove them - by what ever force is required - they have ignored the rule of law for 10 years

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Unless people outside of the UK have never had to deal with "travellers" or pikies as they are known here, then you don't know how awful it really is.

I'm sure some of them are ok, but I've never met those ones. The only pikies I've had the misfourtune of interacting with have either been obnxious, rude or threatening.

They don't pay NI or any other tax and live off the state. They create their own little communities inside an existing social group and destroy the area. Have you seen what their camp grounds look like?

I say, kick em all out, and check their possessions. Chances are 1 in 2 of them will have stolen property. If they want to be treated like normal people, then go out and get a job, pay your taxes and CONTRIBUTE to society.

Otherwise, don't be surprised when you illegally live on council land and are then asked to leave.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
It's a shame all of those tree huggers have sided with the pikeys.

who do you think the tree huggers get their weed from!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers

I'm not allowed to turn up on someones land, build a camp and do what the # I like, so why should anyone else be allowed either?

i think the government takes the piss as much as the next man, but on this one, they have my whole hearted support.
Screw that all the way to the bank. These PEOPLE own the land, the only alleged problem is that they've build somewhere for themselves to live, to try and better themselves. But they're not allowed to do that, because our society favours the rich only.[snip] everyone else.

I wish I could be there to at least givesome support. These are people, people who have bought land for their community, but aren't allowed to build on it because of stupid red tape BS. This just shows up how messed up our goverments are, and how they completly 100% favour ONLY profit, and not human lives.

The doctor reprts stated that there are many people living here, who will suffer from being moved, as they are too unwell to do so. This in an ILLEGAl eviction, and should be protested at all costs.

I know the scum will win in the end, but these bastards need to be fought. I support the settlers, becasue everyone has the right to try and make their lives better. The council are SCUM. Not the travellers.
edit on 19/9/11 by masqua because: Edited censor circumvention

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
The funny thing is they bought this land and tried to improve their conditions. Its just that they didnt have building permission for the housing.

The council want to turf them out but allow the pikeys to illegally camp and destroy other peoples land and dont do a thing.

Ive no doubt once they move on, they will set up camp on some poor farmers land and we will have an even worse situation.

Should be OK as there are no Bank Holidays coming up, as that is when they move into places. 4.01pm on a Friday before a bank holiday. The whole thing is summed up by the fact that their spokesman has had two spells inside for avoidance of duty that ran into the millions I think. If an activist/tree hugger gets hurt...tough.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDemonUK

Should be OK as there are no Bank Holidays coming up, as that is when they move into places. 4.01pm on a Friday before a bank holiday. The whole thing is summed up by the fact that their spokesman has had two spells inside for avoidance of duty that ran into the millions I think. If an activist/tree hugger gets hurt...tough.
I feel the same about bailifs, and the police. Tough crap if you get a slug to the face. You shouldn't be against people who actually want to try and make something of themselves. How can we as a society live with ourslves with this crap going on. And yes, I've lived near traveller sites before, and I'm about 3 miles way from 1 right now. Guess what?.....we have had NO trouble from them, and nor do the "normal" communities around them. It is peoples preconceived media manipulated notions of them, which sway cases like this. And that is nothing but inhumane.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

Screw that all the way to the bank. These PEOPLE own the land, the only alleged problem is that they've build somewhere for themselves to live, to try and better themselves. But they're not allowed to do that, because our society favours the rich only. F### everyone else.

I wish I could be there to at least givesome support. These are people, people who have bought land for their community, but aren't allowed to build on it because of stupid red tape BS. This just shows up how messed up our goverments are, and how they completly 100% favour ONLY profit, and not human lives.

The doctor reprts stated that there are many people living here, who will suffer from being moved, as they are too unwell to do so. This in an ILLEGAl eviction, and should be protested at all costs.

I know the scum will win in the end, but these bastards need to be fought. I support the settlers, becasue everyone has the right to try and make their lives better. The council are SCUM. Not the travellers.

This is a legal eviction as stated by the courts. Its their fault for buying land that was never going to be allowed to be built on....except of course by people who just flaut the laws of the land because they think all this PC cr4p and the eurocrats will protect them. If they want to live here, they should abide by our laws, pay taxes/insurance etc etc. If land is green belt and protected then there should be no right of appeal and the hundreds of other pointless ways of delaying removal of illegal occupiers

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Getting a job is a valid point and one which I support. Perhaps the council should be offering a helping hand instead? People are inherently good, but when councils are involved it always turns in to a battle.

I agree with another point further up in the thread that if these people are removed from this land, where are they going to go? They'll have to setup somewhere else and be arrested again. It's like when they let the naked rambler out of prison naked, then arrested him again. They knew it would happen and letting it play out is helping nobody.

I think there's a peaceful solution to all this, not sure what though.
Peace

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I feel the same about bailifs, and the police. Tough crap if you get a slug to the face. You shouldn't be against people who actually want to try and make something of themselves. How can we as a society live with ourslves with this crap going on. And yes, I've lived near traveller sites before, and I'm about 3 miles way from 1 right now. Guess what?.....we have had NO trouble from them, and nor do the "normal" communities around them. It is peoples preconceived media manipulated notions of them, which sway cases like this. And that is nothing but inhumane.

Making something of yourself through dishonesty, deception and a general disrespect of anything non-traveller, is actually not making anything of yourself other than hated by those affected.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

ok, that's a different story.

but again, what do these people want to do with the land?

if it's never had planning permiossion in the past, why should it be allowed to be a slum now?

how about the families that have lived in that region forever who didn't have to put up with a slum?

you can't just let people creat shanty's where they want cause they own the land.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Screw that all the way to the bank. These PEOPLE own the land, the only alleged problem is that they've build somewhere for themselves to live, to try and better themselves. But they're not allowed to do that, because our society favours the rich only. F### everyone else.

This is a legal eviction as stated by the courts. Its their fault for buying land that was never going to be allowed to be built on....except of course by people who just flaut the laws of the land because they think all this PC cr4p and the eurocrats will protect them. If they want to live here, they should abide by our laws, pay taxes/insurance etc etc. If land is green belt and protected then there should be no right of appeal and the hundreds of other pointless ways of delaying removal of illegal occupiers
It's not PC crap, this is people crap. You know, those "people" who don''t "fit in" with how we "should" be living.

Why the hell can't they build on land that they have bought? They're not building big ugly mansions with garish turrets and needless bling. They're building small bungalows for themselves to live in. You can bet your arse if they had more money for the council to have, or had goverment mates in contstruction, then there' be no problem. But becasue these are people with an alternative lifestyle to the "norm" then the scum council want to move them on. But move them on to where? Do tell me, because if nobody wants them, where do they go? These are people for crying out loud, where is your humanity?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join