It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey issues "final word" to Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told Bashar al-Assad on Monday military operations against civilians must end immediately and unconditionally, warning the Syrian president that this was Ankara's "final word."

"This is our final word to the Syrian authorities, our first expectation is that these operations stop immediately and unconditionally," Davutoglu said in Turkey's strongest rhetoric yet against its once close ally and neighbour.

"If these operations do not stop, there will be nothing left to say about the steps that would be taken," he told a news conference, without elaborating.

"In the context of human rights this cannot be seen as a domestic issue," he told reporters, without taking questions or making clear whether he spoke directly to Assad.

Syria's former close ally and neighbor looks to be about to cut all ties with Syria. I find it a little odd that the Turkish foreign minister didnt really elaborate on what the "final word" means. It looks like they may be leaving the door open for a wide range of possibilities.

Same with the "nothing left to say about the steps that would be taken" part. That leaves alot of speculation about what they are planning.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I've been watching Turkey for the last 3 years,
to me it means they will not condemn the coming 'intervention' and will probably support it.
Turkey has quietly tightened and installed controls within its own borders against citizens and visitors alike.
This is a powerful country jockeying very quietly for position in the region.
The Erdogen government is NOT a friendly cuddly puppy in the least.

www.haaretz.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This is the same Turkey that still won't even admit for the history books, it's role in the outright genocide of Armenians? That happened less than 100yrs ago too, so this isn't exactly ancient.

Oh I always love seeing which countries speak loudest on one issue or another. They often seem to be the ones who, in the light of truth, are far worse offenders of what they complain about than whoever they're pointing the finger at, that moment.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

Recently, it seems that Syria is losing nearly all of their former friends, except for Iran. I was suprised to see Russia changing their stance on Syria not too long ago.

Russia warns Syrian ruler he may face 'sad fate'

MOSCOW (AP) — Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said Thursday he has warned Syria's ruler that he will face a "sad fate" if he fails to introduce reforms in his country and open a peaceful dialogue with the opposition

And now Turkey is pulling all of their ties with Syria.

If I was Turkey, I would be pretty ticked off with Syria right now to. The refugee situation must get more and more nerve racking everyday.

It looks like Turkey has again sent more troops to the border just 2 days ago.

More Turkish troops sent to Syria border

The Turkish military has called up recently retired officers in anticipation of a massive influx of Syrian refugees along its border with Syria.

Veterans that have retired from the military over the past five years are to be deployed in border provinces, the Turkish newspaper Today's Zaman reported on Thursday.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
There's alot and I mean ALOT of money on the line that will be coming with the gas and oil transfer lines,
break open a map and have a look at the natural bridge thet Turkey is,

'Turkey’s new agenda could be in strategic alliance with both European and Middle Eastern governments. It is in a unique position to be a close strategic partner with both regions. The establishment of a Euro-Arab initiative to develop an Alliance to anticipate new patterns and policy initiatives during the Arab Renaissance is essential. Turkey will strengthen the power of regional authorities in promoting democracy and act as a powerful mediator for the disputes in the region.'
www.theinternationalchronicles.com...

The statement that Turkey's agenda is alliance with 'both' allows for the powerful geographical bridge that it is,
but I do not believe that there will be a 'kinder gentler' democratic civilian run government, unless civilian means internationally held corporations.

And let's not forget,
'key transit route for Southwest Asian heroin to Western Europe and, to a lesser extent, the US - via air, land, and sea routes; major Turkish and other international trafficking organizations operate out of Istanbul; laboratories to convert imported morphine base into heroin exist in remote regions of Turkey and near Istanbul; government maintains strict controls over areas of legal opium poppy cultivation and over output of poppy straw concentrate; lax enforcement of money-laundering controls'
www.cia.gov...

edit on 15-8-2011 by HappilyEverAfter because: to add

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
All it means is that Turkey will threaten to send a flotilla to Syria , same as they did with Palestine .

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I posted this already but I like this thread better. Any timelines on possible intervention?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Turkey is deerate to get on board with the EU and the West which is why they are so compliant recently. They have even come to an agreement on the age old Cyprus issue they have with the greeks.

top topics

join