It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Well if that is the case I think the mosque should go up near ground zero.

If it were athiest exstremists who flew the planes,I think most of the athiests would think it poor taste to build a shine to Dawkins at the site.Along with everyone else.

Swap athiest to any other belief and so on......

If athiests want a street sign put up on another street in remembrance for the victims,go for it

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I think that since it is a public street it should be something publicly acceptable and open. Not everyone believes in a "Heaven" so I can see why people would be upset. It would be different if it were a matter of self-expression like someone taking out a billboard or something like that, but if this is a legal street name I have to say I'm on the side of the atheists here.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

I'm a Christian on the internet, and I'm constantly surrounded by atheism all the time. Can I lash out?

Yes. Have you not visited the internet before? Christians lash out all the time, you don't need to ask for my permission, I'm not going to stop you.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

yes I am rather cool. I am glad that you have realised this but frankly it doesn't matter much to me.

have we truly forgotten about what happened at the site? Anyway where are the atheists who denopunced their idiotic fellows. I don't see it. Atheists have been incouraged to act in a bigotted manner to us lesser mortals who appreciate that most people are only doing their best under the circumstances.

edit on 22-6-2011 by Tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SG-17
The problem is that they are using Christian imagery to honor everyone who died in the Towers, while not everyone who died in the Towers was Christian. If they wanted to be right about this then they would have used a religion neutral honoring.

Well, oh my! i never in a million years would have thought that someone saying somebody else going to heaven/is in heaven would make people mad or angry!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion

Its interesting that you only hear the atheist batchin about subjects dealing with christianity.

hmmm.

hate god much?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowZion

Very true. Most religions believe in an afterlife. Why not celebrate these two facts:

1. We acknowledge that the victims have gone to heaven or are worthy of so doing. It is actually a tribute to the dead. (Can't atheists understand metaphor?)

2. It means that in the cultural war we fight with the jihadists we can cllaim that not only they can claim to go to heaven and may even act as a reminder that we share a common humanity as both sides can conceive of a god.

I think the atheists "doth protest too much". Perhaps they will soon denounce the dollar bill

edit on 22-6-2011 by Tiger5 because: typo

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Which is more pervasive?

A: A 6"x3' Road Sign Honoring fallen heroes
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79a33ad3bd61.jpg[/atsimg]

Or

B: A 20'x10' Billboard recruiting tool
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/23ab4056ee12.jpg[/atsimg]

Sure! It's ok to have your own Atheist signs. But when Christians want to actually put up a 6 inch by 3 foot street sign honoring the victims of the Fire Dept, you guys want it taken down immediately?

Talk about hypocritical. Sheesh.

You have a right to put up signs all you want. You don't have a right to take others down that don't comply with your own views. Nor do Christians.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

You make a good point, fooks, it seems to me like atheist mostly go after the Christians.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
reply to post by Ancient Champion

Its interesting that you only hear the atheist batchin about subjects dealing with christianity.
hmmm.
hate god much?

It's a simple concept really. I'll type slowly... so you have a greater chance of understanding...

Atheists cannot hate something they don't believe exists.

IRM

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
As an atheist but more importantly, as someone with common sense i find this whole thing ludicrous! These "NY atheists" getting mad need to realise one thing: being atheist doesn't mean you have to fight religion in every way possible, religions already do that between themselves. it's because of things like this that religions still have any sort of argument when it comes to atheism.

If people are this easily offended then look the other way!

I only call myself an atheist because society needs labels for everything, ultimately i'll be the last one going to the local atheist meetings to discuss the atheist agenda with fellow atheists... because we're not an organised religion, we're not a religion!

p.s I know a guy whose surname is Heaven... and he's an atheist! Ironic!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ancient Champion
The victims of 911 are honored by the naming of a street "Seven in Heaven Way" and the NY atheist get mad try to have the sign removed. If you don't like the sign then don't look at it!

So the sign is good - because its on the side of your belief.

Got it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
I think they're being a little bit too sensitive about the whole thing. It's the name on a street sign, not the city dedicating a frickin church.

I personally don't care. It is strategically placed in front of the firehouse where the firemen died. And I believe they were Catholic.

However - - my question is - - have Atheists tried to have a street sign approved and been denied? If so - - but an obvious religious sign is approved - - then I'd protest too.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God
Too bad they're not preserving important rights...

What basis do you have for that claim?

more like they are a bunch of whiners looking for anything to start a fight.

Maybe that's your interpretation of things since you can't recognize the importance of their objections.

Remember "common" decency???

I do. You mean like taking tax money from atheists and the non-religious and then using that money to fund public signs that feature a religious belief? That's not exactly common decency is it?

Maybe sometimes they should just keep their cake holes shut and let it go... out of respect.

Maybe people shouldn't be openly disrespectful to atheists and then they wouldn't have reason to object. Maybe the religious should "shut their cake holes" about heaven.... out of respect.

Oh well, like the OP since YOU like the sign everyone else should shut up. It's all about you, after all.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ss301
As an atheist but more importantly, as someone with common sense i find this whole thing ludicrous! These "NY atheists" getting mad need to realise one thing: being atheist doesn't mean you have to fight religion in every way possible, religions already do that between themselves. it's because of things like this that religions still have any sort of argument when it comes to atheism.

If people are this easily offended then look the other way!

But you know if an Atheist sign was put up saying: "There is No Heaven"

The religious would be making a huge stink about it.

Funny how it is Ok one way but not the other.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand

Sure! It's ok to have your own Atheist signs. But when Christians want to actually put up a 6 inch by 3 foot street sign honoring the victims of the Fire Dept, you guys want it taken down immediately?

Talk about hypocritical. Sheesh.

You have a right to put up signs all you want. You don't have a right to take others down that don't comply with your own views. Nor do Christians.

You apparently don't recognize that a billboard is paid for with private funds. A city street sign is paid for with public funds, some of which was derived from people without religious beliefs.

This is why we try to keep religion and government separate. People are well within their rights to object to their money being used to perpetuate the religious ideas of a group they don't belong to.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I think the city should offer the Atheists a street sign.

Seems only fair.

Whoa! I can see the religious protests now. Funny how when this is reversed it makes it OK to protest an Atheist street sign.

BINGO!

Let's see if the masses will just "shut their cake holes" over the commission of "Ain't No God Avenue" in their city.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by Annee
I think the city should offer the Atheists a street sign.

Seems only fair.

Whoa! I can see the religious protests now. Funny how when this is reversed it makes it OK to protest an Atheist street sign.

BINGO!

Let's see if the masses will just "shut their cake holes" over the commission of "Ain't No God Avenue" in their city.

I think the city should now offer Atheists a street sign. For equality.

I like that: "Ain't No God Avenue"

You KNOW the religious would be outraged and making all kinds of noise.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ancient Champion
All they are doing is naming a street in the victims honor. You people act as if they are enacting christain law in the nation.

Then the city should offer special signs to all its citizens - - if they are privately paid.

It could be a source of revenue. But - you'd have to be open to signs and beliefs you don't support or agree with.

It doesn't make it OK - just because its of a God belief. Not really.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
As an atheist, I think it is silly for them to complain about that street sign. Everyone should try to be more tolerable with other people's beliefs where it's reasonable.

Aint No God Avenue, lol. Um, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't go over too well with religious folks. Oh well.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join