It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Budget cuts force Calif. police and firemen to watch man drown

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Budget cuts force Calif. police and firemen to watch man drown

www.rawstory.com

Police and firemen in Alameda, California watched a man drown on Monday after realizing they did not have proper certifications for water rescue, leaving them open to possible lawsuits if they attempted a rescue.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This makes me sick. How pathetic have we become to stand and watch someone drown just because of "certification"?
It's stories like this that make me wish for planet Nirubu or what the hell it's name is!!!

Our society is finished if this continues!!!

What ever happned to Good Samaritan Laws?

What ever happened to human kindness and decency?

Where have all our heros gone?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
this is a joke, who teaches them this *snip*, any normal person would jump in and help.....
edit on 1-6-2011 by gallopinghordes because: please don't circumvent our censors.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Don't blame them for they are mindless drones, my friend. Mindless drones.

edit on 1-6-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanishr
this is a joke, who teaches them this sh*t, any normal person would jump in and help.....

A 20 year old woman did jump in while police and firemen watched.

But she was to late.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yeah, what ever happened to bravery, courage and fearless?

You know what really burns me up is I am sure somehow this is not the fault of lack of funds,
its just the way these offices choose to allocate the funds.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
Don't blame them for they are mindless drones, my friend. Mindless drones.

edit on 1-6-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

Mindless drones who don't deserve to be police or fire fighters.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by beezzer

Yeah, what ever happened to bravery, courage and fearless?

You know what really burns me up is I am sure somehow this is not the fault of lack of funds,
its just the way these offices choose to allocate the funds.

What steams me is that they hesitated at all. Not one of them had the stones to do the right thing.

Cowards, and slime.
*PTEW*
I spit on them!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

As well, they should be sued in my opinon. Sue the cowards, that will teach them to stand around
and discuss "certs". while someone is drowning.

The world has gone mad I tell ya, and this is only the beginning of the end.

Just wait for it.

edit on 1-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I can imagine them talking about how their certification lapsed and that they were unable to do anything.

I know that if any certification I had suddenly lapsed, I'd immediately forget everything I learned.

BTW, this has got me very irate!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
reply to post by beezzer

Hot! I'd like to say that I might tap that ass for her instinct.

She's got hero genes!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
This is why there wont be any Americans in Stovokor.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yes, well its disgusting! I am hot as well!

To be sure of it, this is incompetence at its worst. I mean, seriously, this is what these
idiots get paid to do. If they arent certified, they should be fired, or suspended until its corrected!

Today, it seems these types of stories are everywhere!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
They can't maintain rescue certifications but they certainly haven't let their jacka# certifications lapse. Why have first responders at all if they don't respond? Scared of litigation? I don't think a man drowning is going to sue if someone pulls him out, and I think the family would have been at least contented to see some action being taken to save him regardless of the outcome. These people should be fired for lack of decency.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

No heros they.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I guess the police did not want to go out and rescue the man because they knew they couldn't use their tazer's in the water. And what person has ever waded out into neck deep water with a weapon with hopes someone would try to rescue so they could attack them. Doesn't all fire departments have life boats???

Folks, we have made it! We are now an idiocracy!
edit on 1-6-2011 by Mudman21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Should have been covered by Good Samaritan. I would think they are more libel for failing to act - omission, perhaps.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here, not to say what they did was right by no means. The thing is you can sue anybody in this country for any reason. You can lose your whole livelyhood by saving someone's life. Not too long ago,if I can find it I'll post it, an off duty police officer rescued a woman from jumping off a bridge. In the process she broke her leg. The poor fellow not only lost his job but has to pay this woman an unreasonable amount of money.All these frivolous lawsuits make it hard to want to help anybody. Knowing that your family will suffer because you gave a damn about someone else is wrong.The world we live in is a sad sad place.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The article states the man was suicidal and waded 150 YARDS into the cold water. Everyone is complaining about the firemen not jumping in to do anything. Had it ever occurred to you people maybe the man didn't want to be saved? Or that maybe he SHOULDN'T have been saved? For all anyone knows, that could have been the next Hitler, and letting him drown just saved hundreds of thousands of people.

Then again, I wasn't there. If the man was screaming out for help and obviously wanted to live then yes, the firemen are in the wrong for not doing everything in their power to save a life. However the way I see it, if the man wanted to die, he was going to do it anyway. Who are we to decide how anyone else but ourselves goes?

I guess I can see both sides of the argument, I cannot help, but wonder about the fact that the police officers care more about their policies than another human life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join