It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Budget cuts force Calif. police and firemen to watch man drown

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by burntheships

I can imagine them talking about how their certification lapsed and that they were unable to do anything.

I know that if any certification I had suddenly lapsed, I'd immediately forget everything I learned.

BTW, this has got me very irate!

Being irate at this is a normal reaction. We should all be irate when events like this happen. But worry not, someone will be along to tell you why it all makes sense, and you should be more understanding.

S&F

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Well, can't blame them, they have the certificate to smash handicapped people in NY, kill Veterans in raids in Tucson, beat the bleep out of dancing people at the Thomas Jefferson Memorial....

/ end of sarcasm.

For real; this is the land of the free, home of the brave ?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Just as long as they make the bad thoughts go away. . . .

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by svetlana84

Land of the free? Maybe.

Home of the brave? They left a forwarding address to Cowardville.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Now if this wasn't a suicide, I would be ashamed and angry. With the state of our judicial system, first responders, especially law enforcement, have bullseyes on their backs. People and lawyers see how much money they can get from a municipal and are like sharks. If they would have saved him, they opened themselves up to multiple law suits. The Good Samaritan law would not protect them because they failed to have the proper certification stated in the article.If any of you guys have been involved in a civil suit, you know that a judge or jury does not need "proof beyond a shadow of a doubt" like in a criminal case. Thats why a someone can sue their neighbor when their kid trespasses and gets in the neighbor's pool, ends up drowning, and win the case. Or a burgler can break into your house, trip on a roller skate your kid left on the stairs and breaks his neck, paralyzing him, can sue and win. Makes me sick...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I really appreciate that... I would hate to be included into a grown adult's fantasy afterlife.. Hence the saying "No Americans want to go to Stovokor.... Because only "mouth breathers" would even mention such a foolish thing!

It really ticks me off, that people OR PERSON bring "American" into it.... Its not just an American problem.. The entire planet has sniveling COWARDS at the helm of everything...

edit on 6/1/2011 by ShaunHatfield because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
DISCLAIMER: I have no patience today and haven't had nearly enough caffeine yet to balance out my lack of sleep, lol.

GROUCHY RANT: Over and over, on this site, I see post after post about how the MSM is full of lies and agendas. "Don't believe a word they say!!!" and "the MSM is run by TPTB with all of their own agendas!"...that's the message that is constantly drilled into our heads when we are here.

Yet every time the MSM presents a sensationalized article, all of a sudden people fall right in line and help the MSM spread their message. The media is very good at presenting material which has been twisted and turned and molded and tweaked in order to create the largest reaction of public outrage and/or sensationalism possible. It sells newspapers, raises the status of the writers and reporters, and it furthers the particular agendas of the people running the MSM...or so I am told (over and over) by the people on this very website.

What happened to researching to find both sides of the story (or lie) before making a well informed and intelligent decision?

(end of rant)

LEVEL-HEADED RESPONSE:
It is sad that this man was able to execute his plan to die. Drowning is a horrible way to die and I hope that he did not regret his decision at the last minute when it was too late. I am glad that the 20 year old woman was not injured or killed also in her attempt to save his life.

*goes to make more coffee to possibly alleviate the grouchiness*

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ShaunHatfield

But it was sniveling coward americans that stood and watched.

This time.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Wage slaves, it's what they have become and what we have all become. They are afraid of losing their jobs by doing something outside of their jurisdiction. They have too much invested, family and kids to feed, college to save for, medical insurance that they believe they absolutely need, gizmos and gadgets (gotta have 50 inch flat screen for superbowl), a car or two and security of the unknown (homelessness as a cause of losing their jobs).

It's reality, and it's what people live everyday of their lives. They are trapped in a system that does not care about them, their well being, or the earth that they live on. All that matters is acquiring paper money based on presumed value to feed themselves and everyone else dependent on them, along with having the leisure life they have become so accustomed to. We are all to blame, and it isn't fair to point fingers when many others expressing shock would probably wait for someone else to do what they believe they would do (but won't). A shame really what WE HAVE ALL BECOME.
edit on 1-6-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Police and firemen in Alameda, California watched a man drown on Monday after realizing they did not have proper certifications for water rescue, leaving them open to possible lawsuits if they attempted a rescue.

And that's why we should love the cops and the government. Let's love them so much. They work so hard to protect us. Their job is so difficult, they won't do it.

Yeah that was sarcasm.

I hope those wimps have nightmares for MONTHS of this... and that as a result, they will change their attitude... but I'm not holding my breath.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I wouldn't say these police and firemen were cowards in the sense they wouldn't put themselves in harms way to save another persons life.

They are, however, cowards to the policies that held them back from rescuing this man. They were afraid of losing their job or being sued. Now they will have to live with the fact someone lost their life because of their willingness to be politically correct.

Not only will they have to live with their inactions. They will have to live with the ridicule that will undoubtedly follow them for the rest of their lives.

These men put themselves in the position where they may be the ones who are rescued from suicide by their very own colleagues.

I forget where I saw a story of a man who rescued a gril in a rushing river after the sheriff's dept. told him he had to wait on a rescue team. He ignored there warnings and rescued her anyways and was arrested because of something about interrupting proper procedures.

Proper procedures is what drowned this man and could've drowned the little girl. When it comes to a human life, there are no procedures except to act.

edit on 1/6/11 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Yet CA has a very well established "Good Samaritan Law" that would have protected any of these cops or firemen should one tried to rescue the man. knowledgebase.findlaw.com...

Under California's Good Samaritan statute (Health & Safety Code §1799.102), those who act in good faith to provide emergency care at the scene of an emergency are immune from civil liability.

So let us all be clear who the cops and firemen are there to protect: the State.

We all know those same cops will happily and with zeal gear up in masks and military gear to kick in your door at night and if you get shot in the confusion holding a hair dryer, too bad, so sad.

Everyone of those officers should be reprimanded and demoted.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by ShaunHatfield

But it was sniveling coward americans that stood and watched.

This time.

Well, not completely, because a 20 year old woman (with more balls then all the mean with guns on their belts) did jump in to try to save the man, but she was too late.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think this is about the unions saying "see what happens when we do not get what we want". Once again it is about our "authority figures" not being held accountable for their actions. This was a power play in that they let people die because the union is trying to manipulate the public for more power and more money. What stone hearted people we have become.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It's not the union that "preventing" them from helping it's their employers. If you have beef with an organization at least point towards the right direction.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

well this must be exclusive story . cuz' NONE of the MSM is reporting this .. or it never happened.. Personally, I think it's a urban ledgend.. to insite us to riot vs gov/tptb ..

and is the man single, married, a loner, no family or children to speak up for him after his drowning?? .. is there a funeral and a public autopsy ??

and being off the shore gives the Coast Guard the RIGHT to intervene~!!! I call BS ..and it MUST have been a suiside because he 'preportedly' waded out to the 150FT (~!!!) depth........but.. yea.. not that he could have gotten in a ript tide and yanked under either..

Lets just report what we feel and to hell with the facts ~!!

edit on 1-6-2011 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Like CNN?

www.cnn.com...

Or ABC?

abclocal.go.com.../local/east_bay&id=8161285

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
reply to post by beezzer

well this must be exclusive story . cuz' NONE of the MSM is reporting this .. or it never happened.. Personally, I think it's a urban ledgend.. to insite us to riot vs gov/tptb ..

and is the man single, married, a loner, no family or children to speak up for him after his drowning?? .. is there a funeral and a public autopsy ??

Could always be false because the source I found is ABC:

abclocal.go.com...

It reports that the mother called the police, no mention of other family.

thatguy got there first, and with another source
edit on 1-6-2011 by j35us because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I pasted the title of this thread into Google and CNN not 1 min ago was reporting this .. NO LINKS 1-2 mins ago were on first 3 pgs of hits..

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

I Googled "police drown" and narrowed to News.

Claims 69 articles.

news.google.com...

Sources all over from CNN to LA Times to the Daily Mail.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join