It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

madness! Scientists plan to drill all the way down to the Earth's mantle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
www.physorg.com...

i quote

``In what can only be described as a mammoth undertaking, scientists, led by British co-chiefs, Dr Damon Teagle of the National Oceanography Centre in Southampton, England and Dr Benoit Ildefonse from Montpellier University in France, have announced jointly in an article in Nature that they intend to drill a hole through the Earth’s crust and into the mantle; a feat never before accomplished, much less seriously attempted. ...``

full article is there, this makes the `lets fire a rocket at the moon` idea from last year, look like an einstein idea... why would you want to mess with mother nature like this..

this is beyond stupid!

never mind, i gave up on the sanity of people a long time ago

ps another link here news.nationalgeographic.com...
edit on 25-3-2011 by littlezeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by littlezeta

curiosity killed the human, its like when you watch a horror movie and some scary # goes down,they get up and go investigate instead of getting the hell out ha ha, we may have invented alot of cool stuff,some not so cool, and figured some crap out and i mean some, but were still these naive self centered greedy curious imposing little creatures that form on this planet like a bad case of barnacles or scabies, why do you think so much crazyness is going down,the earth can manipulate us as well since our bodys are of the earth, think of it as mother nature playing eddie haskel to get us to thin out a bit being dumb,its the earths defense mechanism and immune system,and believe me,were gonna thin out all right, like male pattern baldness

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm not sure if you heard but one of the scientists was overheard
saying

"What could possibly go wrong"?

Famous last words.

Or what about the all time classic......"Hey, Watch this"!!

same damned thing.

What in the hell are these people thinking??
Somebody tell me this is from the Onion.com.
It has to be right????

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

No worries. The majority of us won't be here that long anyway and anyone still alive in 2018 won't be a big fan of scientists for awhile I'm guessing.

The pair plan to begin searching for a suitable site somewhere in the Pacific this spring, but don’t expect the technology, nor the funding to allow them to start drilling till perhaps 2018.

edit on 25-3-2011 by jude11 because: edit

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
Yeah, I'm not sure if you heard but one of the scientists was overheard
saying

"What could possibly go wrong"?

Famous last words.

Or what about the all time classic......"Hey, Watch this"!!

same damned thing.

What in the hell are these people thinking??
Somebody tell me this is from the Onion.com.
It has to be right????

sadly not, i hoped hoax but the geography website (see link on my post) is covering it too

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
ugh double post sorry
edit on 25-3-2011 by littlezeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
After hearing this, I might start a petition to stop this exploration. This is just so f#@%^*g stupid and it effects every thing on this planet! It is not up to a few scientists to decide it is ok to do this...I mean can the ramifications of this be dire? If so, it is not up to them to decide!

link   
Earth is NOT a toy!

Why do they always insist on messing with things they know nothing about?

We shouldn't be drilling in our oceans or doing that fracking crap either and we sure as heck don't need to be digging to the darn mantle of the Earth! WTH are the going to do next? I dont know anything about drilling that deep but something tells me it's not a good idea. Why can't we just leave Earth alone. It's like we are digging in her back with knives all the time. I know that sounds a bit dramatic but think about it, all these things, are they really necessary or do they only benefit those who want more money as usual?

link   

We won't destroy the Earth. We have already dug deep: en.wikipedia.org... .

We also bombed the moon with a bomb that can't even destroy a city (and people were in uproar with paranoid delusions about us being able to destroy the moon.. Morons)

This drilling is comparable to a needle on the human body.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
There's already a thread on this.

ALso I am sick of people on this site acting like they have more knowledge and credibility than scientists. Oh wait, this is the internet.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

Well if this is to go ahead... then I hope you are correct!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing

We also bombed the moon with a bomb that can't even destroy a city (and people were in uproar with paranoid delusions about us being able to destroy the moon.. Morons)

but the point is this
if you keep hacking away something has got to give,

see a huge lion in the distance
throw a teddy bear at it, it wont bat an eyelid
throw another one, maybe youll get a groan off it
keep throwing them and eventually youll piss it off and will have an angry lion after you

same thing here, if you tempt fate enough, it will bite you in the butt

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing

When you put a needle into the human body, it bleeds.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool

ALso I am sick of people on this site acting like they have more knowledge and credibility than scientists. Oh wait, this is the internet.

Im sorry but people on here seem to care more about the planet than the scientists. I'm sorry I dont care how many degrees you have some things should just be left alone and just because you paid a lot of money for a piece of paper it doesnt necessarily make you more knowledgeable. There are people that spend their lives researching and reading about certain topics and they dont have PhD's or degrees in it and that doesn't make them any less knowledgeable.

Im no scientist but I know we shouldn't be digging in the mantle of the earth. They have no idea what could happen and that right there should tell them not to do this. It's carelessness all in the name of "science." I am all for science but some things don't need to be touched.

We need to leave the planet alone, we have already done enough damage, what else are we gonna do?

link   
reply to post by PoorFool

I am so sick of scientists that think they know everything, when there is more and more proof proving that they apparently do not. If scientists knew everything, then Earth would not be in so much mess in the first place hey?!

link   
Unless the hole is in a deliberately chosen bad spot it will not cause any cataclysmic damage even in the worst case scenario. I'm somewhat qualified to know this, taking earth sciences in university. It's ust a huge waste of money, when it could be spent on other, more useful things.

link   
This is just more scientific stupidity,What would the sudden release of the pressure of molten magma have on any drilling equipment?
Would tn heat be so intense as to melt or anneal even the hardest of metal tool bits or ther equipment?
Any leak the spring has that same catastrophic potential......

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Isn't the Hawaiian island group, essentially the same thing?

It's a whole different temperature, and chemical makeup than other volcanic lava.
edit on 25-3-2011 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by PoorFool

Im sorry but people on here seem to care more about the planet than the scientists. I'm sorry I dont care how many degrees you have some things should just be left alone and just because you paid a lot of money for a piece of paper it doesnt necessarily make you more knowledgeable. There are people that spend their lives researching and reading about certain topics and they dont have PhD's or degrees in it and that doesn't make them any less knowledgeable.

Im no scientist but I know we shouldn't be digging in the mantle of the earth. They have no idea what could happen and that right there should tell them not to do this. It's carelessness all in the name of "science." I am all for science but some things don't need to be touched.

We need to leave the planet alone, we have already done enough damage, what else are we gonna do?

hi i found poorfoll`s jab at us offensive
especially seeing as nobody on here was trying to be a scientist or better than a scientist, but i guess theres the old saying, dont feed the troll

link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

Found it kind of weird that as soon as the bomb was to hit the moon all images went out..There was also a flash before it hit and after...

Weird..

I didn't think we needed to bomb the moon either. I didn't think it would do anything to the moon physically, I just didnt see the point and feel it was needed.

I was up all night and watched on live NASA TV and when it hit or was suppose to hit everything went to snow....Just weird to me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join