It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage Acceptance or No Jobs

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
Show me the verses where Jesus is against homosexuality. What Jesus IS AGAINST is sexual relations outside of marriage so by denying the gay community the ability to marry you are in fact forcing them to sin and then condemn them for it. Anyone else see something wrong with this standpoint?

Mark 10:7, Matt 19:5. Homosexuals "chose" to live in that lifestyle.

Here are the passages about Slavery (Physical bondage and sexual slavery included too):

I wonder what atheist website you copied these from? You should do your own research.
Leviticus 25:44-46, Leviticus 25:48-53
It does not say that God approved of slavery.

Ephesians 6:5 (this one actually references Christ too)

Exodus 21: 2-6, Exodus 21:7-11

Deuteronomy 15:12-18

Numbers 31:28-47

These last three do not condone slavery per se but mention of it and not in an abolishing sense:
1 Corinthians 12:13
Galatians 3:28
Colossians 3:11

Slavery was a Roman institution and Paul told both the slave and master to do what is right.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by relpobre000
I'd like to see the scientific evidence of this. The website you linked is nothing but a large slanted opinion piece by a hate monger. The question I pose to the religious folk is this: Genesis 1:26 says "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." So why would he create homosexuals? I would like a straight logical answer (terrible pun intended).

Trayce Hansen, Ph.D.
Love Isn’t Enough: 5 Reasons Why Same-Sex Marriage Will Harm Children
www.drtraycehansen.com...

He didn't create homosexuals. The devil has duped people with emotions and feelings.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
I will never understand why a 3rd party feels they have the right to keep two (or more) people who love each other apart. Do you not see you are arguing against LOVE. According to my religion, actions against love are sins.
edit on 22-3-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

It's not love, it's same sex attraction.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
How ridiculous.

Most gays I know consider themselves Christian. They were raised to believe in God just like most everyone else.

You think just because there are ignorant - prejudice and hate filled bigots - - - gays are going to deny their own God beliefs?

Gays are not a threat to Religious Freedom. Those who continue to hold on to an irrational ancient interpretation of who knows what it actually means - - - are responsible for their own demise.

There are many things in the bible that are no longer practiced because they are no longer rational.

That is an oxymoron. You can't live the in the homosexual lifestyle and be a Christian. Read 1Thess 4:3

Homosexuals are a threat to religious freedom.
D.C. Catholic Charity Drops Spouse Coverage Over Gay Law
www.politicsdaily.com...

Christians should not and don't practice Old Testament laws.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by texastig

That article you cited isn't scientific evidence. There was no study with cited sources. It's all anecdotal evidence and opinion. I asked for a logical explanation not the company line 'If it's bad, an evil cow man is to blame". You can't attribute all bad things to the devil.There's a HUGE disconnect in logic when it comes to defending a religion. Most religious people call it 'faith'. I don't believe in a space-wizard. So give me logic. Why does God allow suffering? How can you reconcile the rift between an all loving God and the terrible things that happen in this world?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by texastig
It's not love, it's same sex attraction.

What is love? (Baby, don't hurt me.)

If I were to say heterosexuals don't know love; they only know opposite sex attraction, you would disagree I am sure.

Whatever a person says they feel, is what they feel. You can not prove their emotions wrong. I used to think stupid people's feelings did not matter. Long story short, in elementary school when I saw how happy a retarded kid became when he got to play the cymbal in the band, I realized that emotions are not subject to intellect.

I would ask how you know gays don't feel love, but I'm tired of reading misinterpreted Bible quotes.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Mark 10:7, Matt 19:5. Homosexuals "chose" to live in that lifestyle.

It does not say that Jesus disapproved of gays. I'm trying to use your logic, does this mean that every man that does not leave his father and mother to unite with his wife is an abomination?
edit on 22-3-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by D1Useek
If some guy wants to shack up with his buddy, or some broad wants to shack up with another broad, that’s fine, go ahead. But let’s not call it marriage. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Come up with your own name that will signify a union between a man and a man or woman and woman. That’s what pisses people off. I think that’s exactly what most wants. Rub your nose in it. Put it up in your face! I don’t climb a ladder to my roof and tell everyone I‘m a mountain climber, it changes the meaning of a mountain climber. I don’t put ananas on pâte with fromage and sauce and tell everyone I got a pissaladière. Come up with your own terminology and I think most people will be fine with it. But that’s not the ordre du jour is it?

That's what has happened in the UK. Some of the more extremist gays remain upset about it and are looking at challenging the legality of a ban on gay 'marriage' (not civil union; see: love4all). By and large however, I think much of the homosexual community here have embraced the idea of civil union and heterosexuals who wanted to preserve the 'sanctity' of marriage as a religious institution have also been pleased. Civil union couples receive the same rights as heterosexuals married couples, albeit without the name.

It seems like a decent middle ground and seems to have done away with much of the 'popular' aversion to homosexuality. Homosexuality in modern Britain and Europe are treated as being pretty normal.

And at the end of the day, isn't that what we want? To all just go about our lives in peace and enjoy our time here? The religious believe in final judgment, and so even though there is merit in trying to bring homosexuals into the Church (many religious organisations continue to disapprove of homosexual behaviour but nonetheless will welcome a homosexual into their midst), surely all Christians know and believe that at the end of the day, judgment is not reserved for them but for someone else?

Does God not love us all, however imperfect we may be, after all?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

How ridiculous.

Most gays I know consider themselves Christian. They were raised to believe in God just like most everyone else.

You think just because there are ignorant - prejudice and hate filled bigots - - - gays are going to deny their own God beliefs?

Gays are not a threat to Religious Freedom. Those who continue to hold on to an irrational ancient interpretation of who knows what it actually means - - - are responsible for their own demise.

There are many things in the bible that are no longer practiced because they are no longer rational.

That is an oxymoron. You can't live the in the homosexual lifestyle and be a Christian. Read 1Thess 4:3

Homosexuals are a threat to religious freedom.
D.C. Catholic Charity Drops Spouse Coverage Over Gay Law
www.politicsdaily.com...

Christians should not and don't practice Old Testament laws.

Just like anyone who has ever had an adulterous or lustful thought (even if you hadn't gone on to commit the act) cannot be a Christian? We are imperfect beings - is that not what Jesus taught?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

No - - its not!

Personally I'd say if anyone is an oxymoron to what a Christian is supposed to be - - it would be those like you.

Are you going to tell me Lepers and Epileptics can't be Christian either?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by relpobre000
I'd like to see the scientific evidence of this. The website you linked is nothing but a large slanted opinion piece by a hate monger. The question I pose to the religious folk is this: Genesis 1:26 says "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." So why would he create homosexuals? I would like a straight logical answer (terrible pun intended).

Trayce Hansen, Ph.D.
Love Isn’t Enough: 5 Reasons Why Same-Sex Marriage Will Harm Children
www.drtraycehansen.com...

He didn't create homosexuals. The devil has duped people with emotions and feelings.

As far as I know, there have been a number of studies in the UK done on whether or not same-sex parenting is harmful to children. The general consensus is that it does not. I personally believe that a child is best with a father and a mother, but it is of course difficult for me to argue with the empirical evidence. Another thing to consider is that in a number of same-sex parenting relationships, contact with the biological father is retained and maintained despite the 'prime' same-sex parent relationship.

When the Human Fertility and Embryology Bill was going through Parliament in 2007 (I think) they had a number of hearings where they called upon expert evidence.

I think you can find the transcripts of many of those hearings here (Human Reproductive Technologies and the Law):

www.publications.parliament.uk...

Alas, you are entitled to your own opinion of course. Just adding (from a fairly neutral stance) some things to consider.

Edit: My apologies - I have posted the wrong link. I used the proper one in a research paper recently... I will see if I can't fish it out and produce it.
edit on 22-3-2011 by duality90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by duality90
Some of the more extremist gays remain upset about it and are looking at challenging the legality of a ban on gay 'marriage' (not civil union; see: love4all). By and large however, I think much of the homosexual community here have embraced the idea of civil union and heterosexuals who wanted to preserve the 'sanctity' of marriage as a religious institution have also been pleased. Civil union couples receive the same rights as heterosexuals married couples, albeit without the name.

Separate but "Equal" - - is NEVER EVER OK.

Sanctity of Marriage is pure BS. It is truly an illusion to deny gays right of Marriage. Equal in ALL ways. Not - - "I'm legally married, but you're not" - - because God says so.

Straights can get married in courts. Atheists can get married. God is not a requirement for straight people to marry.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

No one threatened you. Get a grip. I suggest you read ever single post you have made in this thread and see if you havent referred to the sexual act and even used **** to express it. My grand daughter would tell you that I am a human being the same as you. They would tell you what love is...etc. They would tell you that grani has been a lesbian since birth. etc Dont put threats in my mouth. Stick to the issue here. Companys who refuse to discriminate against their employees. Jobs matter, people matter.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by texastig

I love how you accuse me of taking things out of context when you yourself are guilty of it.

Matt 19:5? Really? The context is about divorce not homosexuality.

Leviticus 25: 44-46

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

How is that not approved slavery?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

I think it really just has to do with that guy growing up under social norms and simply refusing to change. He probably doesn't 'want' to believe anything we're saying is true. I bet it scares the crap out of him just to imagine gay people being normal and society changing.

News flash, but people change (not toward you, Dendro)! Societies change! Norms change!

His acting as if there is one right way to live life is him being ignorant.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Some of the more extremist gays remain upset about it and are looking at challenging the legality of a ban on gay 'marriage' (not civil union; see: love4all). By and large however, I think much of the homosexual community here have embraced the idea of civil union and heterosexuals who wanted to preserve the 'sanctity' of marriage as a religious institution have also been pleased. Civil union couples receive the same rights as heterosexuals married couples, albeit without the name.

Separate but "Equal" - - is NEVER EVER OK.

Sanctity of Marriage is pure BS. It is truly an illusion to deny gays right of Marriage. Equal in ALL ways. Not - - "I'm legally married, but you're not" - - because God says so.

Straights can get married in courts. Atheists can get married. God is not a requirement for straight people to marry.

Fair point. The UK remains one of the few countries in the Western EU that does not allow full equality of rights in both substance and form. I wasn't saying it was good, nor was I saying it was bad, just stating what the situation is here.

I figure if you're a Christian, you should know that the sacrament of marriage is one that can only ever be shared between a man and a woman. As that is the case, who cares if congress or parliament says otherwise? By definition, a 'marriage' between two people of the same sex will not be a 'marriage' in the eyes of Christianity.

I do really think that it would just be best if we could all get along with each other and enjoy what little time we have here. Life is too short to spend time arguing semantics.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia
reply to post by Dendro

I think it really just has to do with that guy growing up under social norms and simply refusing to change. He probably doesn't 'want' to believe anything we're saying is true. I bet it scares the crap out of him just to imagine gay people being normal and society changing.

News flash, but people change (not toward you, Dendro)! Societies change! Norms change!

His acting as if there is one right way to live life is him being ignorant.

Unfortunately, you're probably correct. I'm sure it's all fine and when you live in a community which is not widely tolerant of open homosexuality (for instance, where I grew up in Texas, although the city centre had a large community, you were certainly likely to be fair game for insults or abuse if you were openly homosexual outside of it), but I guess alot of people don't realize that gay men aren't just the stereotypical 'camp' folks you always picture. Living in a big city where there are people from all walks of life, that sort of attitude just isn't tolerated.

I guess people like the OP will just have to wait until they move somewhere where their own opinions are in the minority to understand what it feels like to be harassed for your beliefs and values.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Magantice

I read every post I made on this thread...
Since when has mentioning, not giving a rats tush
what others do in bed,become an obsession with
a sex act?
Bottom line lady,I don't care what you do,plain
enough for you to understand?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Magantice

I read every post I made on this thread...
Since when has mentioning, not giving a rats tush
what others do in bed,become an obsession with
a sex act?
Bottom line lady,I don't care what you do,plain
enough for you to understand?

The problem that most have with believing that is that you go out of your way to say how horrible it is that you are forced to adhere to an institutionally held belief that you should not care what goes on behind closed doors. If you do not care what people do, why do you seem to ... erm, care that the government says it is a form of discrimination intolerable enough that it must be penalised?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I figure if you're a Christian, you should know that the sacrament of marriage is one that can only ever be shared between a man and a woman. As that is the case, who cares if congress or parliament says otherwise? By definition, a 'marriage' between two people of the same sex will not be a 'marriage' in the eyes of Christianity.

If you have a gay couple who have been together for 50 years.

Then you have a straight person - - who married - cheated - divorced - remarried - had kids - - had an affair - - left wife and kids for "lover" - - etc.

Where is the real "sanctity of marriage"?

I was raised Christian. Its BS and ridiculous - - - to make any statement that Sanctity of Marriage is exclusive to straight people - - because God says so.

Those who have been devoted for more then 50 years deserve marriage - - - not those who abuse it - - - but get "Sanctity" just because they are straight.

Its just plain stupid.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join