It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Super Moon & Current Rise in sun Activity: Effects on earth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Putting some info & coincidences together between our Earth Moon and Sun...

The Moon

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8b36061958c6.jpg[/atsimg]

The moon is the earth’s only natural satellite. Its average distance from the earth is 384,403 km. Its revolution period around the earth is the same length and direction as its rotation period, which results in the moon always keeping one side turned toward the earth and the other side turned away from the earth. This type of motion is called synchronous rotation. The side turned away from the earth is called the moon’s dark side, even though it is lit half of the time. The moon’s sidereal period of revolution is about 27.32 days long. This means that a line drawn through the center of the earth and the moon would point to the same star every 27.32 days. Due to slight variations in the orbital velocity of the moon, over a 30 year period, 59% of the moon’s surface is made visible. This is known as libration. The moon’s orbit is not in the plane of the ecliptic and because of the elliptical nature of the moon’s orbit, it is not always the same distance from the earth. At the two intersections of the moon’s orbit and the plane of the ecliptic are two nodes. These nodes regress along the plane of the ecliptic, making one complete rotation every 18.61 years. source

What exactly is a "Super Moon"?
[Quote]The term refers to the unusually large new (or full) moon that earthlings see when the moon travels almost as close as it can to Earth. An "extreme Super Moon" occurs when the moon reaches its absolute closest point. On March 19, the moon will be only 221,556 miles away — the first extreme Super Moon in nearly 20 years.

Could Super Moon Cause disaster

Should we be concerned?

Those who believe in horoscopes might be. Some astrologers (not astronomers) say this natural wonder signals the beginning of a "moonageddon," coinciding with enormous storms, earthquakes and floods. Kit Karson at Psychic Cosmos further predicts that the financial markets could collapse as prices surge into "panic mode."

Is this for real?

Astrologists point to history to validate their predictions, says Ben Yakas at Gothamist. Both the New England hurricane of 1938 and the Australian Hunter Valley floods of 1955 happened during Super Moons, they say. The last Super Moon came in 2005, at around the same time as Hurricane Katrina and the Indonesian tsunami.

Is there any science backing these theories up?

Absolutely none, says Pete Wheeler of the International Center for Radio Astronomy. All that will happen next week is that the Earth will experience a "lower than usual low tide and a higher than usual high tide." A Super Moon, he concludes, is "nothing to get excited about."

so we know this will affect our oceans, Our oceans are fluid I would like to point out that Magma is also a fluid.

Also note Arkansas they are having almost constant earthquakes or ground vibrations, most likely due to a drilling technique called Fracking where millions of gallons of industrial made chemical waste and some water is injected into the ground to break apart the bedrock in an already sandy and loose soil.
Earthquake swarm in Arkansas Intensifies

Yes, science is out there.
The sun acts on the earth and its moon as one entity with its center at the barycenter. Since the earth revolves around the barycenter, which in turn orbits the sun, the earth follows a wobbly path around the sun. This is illustrated in the following example. To complicate things further, the barycenter is not always in the same place due to the elliptical nature of the moon’s orbit.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2042c11d6a2e.jpg[/atsimg]

The sun attracts the moon in such a way that it perturbs its orbit every 31.807 days, this phenomenon is called evection. The moon also changes the position of the earth’s equinoxes.

The sun and moon each attract the earth’s equatorial bulge, trying to bring it into alignment with themselves. This torque is counteracted by the rotation of the earth.

The combination of these two forces is a slow rotation of the earth’s axis, which in turn results in a slow westward rotation of the equinoxes.

Looking down from the north pole, the equinoxes would appear to be rotating in a clockwise motion. The equinoxes and poles complete a rotation every 25,800 years.

The equinoxes move at a rate of about 50.27 arc seconds per year.
This phenomenon in known as the precession of the equinoxes and is illustrated in the following image.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1044b6988c38.gif[/atsimg]

More on Precession and Equinoxes

How the Earth and Moon Interact

The Moon

The Earth's rotation carries the Earth's bulges slightly ahead of the point directly beneath the Moon. This means that the force between the Earth and the Moon is not exactly along the line between their centers producing a torque on the Earth and an accelerating force on the Moon. This causes a net transfer of rotational energy from the Earth to the Moon, slowing down the Earth's rotation by about 1.5 milliseconds/century and raising the Moon into a higher orbit by about 3.8 centimeters per year.

But what about extreme weather during past Super Moons? It's just coincidence, says astronomer David Reneke. "'If you try hard enough you can chronologically associate almost any natural disaster or event to anything in the night sky." In the past, he adds, people thought the sun would be pulled apart when the planets aligned. "It didn't happen." And the catastrophic events cited by excitable astrologers didn't even happen that close to Super Moons, points out John Metcalfe at TBD. The Hunter river flooded in February 1955, "two whole months before and after bookending Super Moons."

the Perigee may be when the moon is at its closest but the affects of it moving towards and away from the earth might have an effect from the evidence in bold.
also the location of the floods and the moon should be taken into consideration, before this is declared non-evidence.

we have as our experts From the news article

Pete Wheeler of the International Center for Radio Astronomy
Astrologist Ben Yakas at Gothamist
Astronomer David Reneke
& John Metcalfe at TBD

The TBD article tries to end by making a mockery of the whole idea, good for presenting misinformation. make one wonder why the mockery do you just not understand so you must therefore laugh?
or is it they are hiding something based on an agenda?

Hurricane Katrina made land on the Gulf Coast on Aug. 29, 2005, which was 10 days after the SuperMoon for that month. The 1938 New England hurricane happened on Sept. 21, three weeks after a SuperMoon. Australia’s Hunter River experienced mass flooding and property destruction in February 1955, two whole months before and after bookending SuperMoons.

so from the article we have - Aug. 29, 2005 10 days after - Sept. 21 1938 3 weeks after - February 1955 2 months after...

looking for the perigee of those dates HERE it shows a Perigee on
Aug 19 - 2005
Sept 20, and Aug 23, - 1938
Jan 6, Feb 2, Feb 27, March 26, April 23 - 1955.

Supermoon Closest to earth in 20yrs
Supermoon may cause disaster on earth

more fear and sensationalism followed by ignorance writing it all off. using only weathermen, astronomers & astrologers wild theories, no experts on the sun or moon and its daily effects on earth, little info on the moon but hardly anything to suggest an effect on earth other than ocean tides...
No offense intended to weathermen, astronomers & astrologers, there is just so much more to this story than only one expert in one field can give us.

The moon is hardly something we can say is "Nothing To Get Excited about"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3dc3f94dc67d.jpg[/atsimg]

The SUN

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3855b73a39ea.jpg[/atsimg]

I would like to start with this thread.
SoHo 08.march 2011 - Big eruption will hit earth in 2-3 days

the last day or 2 Japan has had a rise in large quakes off the coast ranging from Mag 5-7 I have noticed at least 7-10 in the this short time.
Quake watch 2011

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c710f0285c94.jpg[/atsimg]

Some conditions in space have the potential to seriously affect us on Earth. We call these conditions "space weather". The causes can include radiation storms and ejections from the Sun as well disturbances in the Earth's magnetic field caused by the Sun. Besides triggering beautiful auroras, these solar storms can damage satellites, disrupt power grids and electrical systems, interfere with cell phones and other communications, and disturb animal movements. They can even threaten astronauts and high-flying airplanes with their radiation!

solar-center

Recent Earthquakes linked to Solar Effects on Earth’s Magnetic Field

These notable earthquakes were accompanied by an exceptionally strong solar wind which impacted Earth’s magnetosphere just before daylight hours on the 5th in North America, and “sparked the strongest geomagnetic storm of the year,”

In other words, the planet’s poles have limbered up to the point that humans - among Earth’s most notorious freeloaders - may be thrown from the surface by a sudden worldwide jolt that one-ups recent seismic outbursts. Readily available numbers give a general feel for what’s going on. While I’m unsure of the implications of all the information I gather, I’m finding that increased solar wind combined with lower particle density seems to create marked instability in Earth’s crust and correspondingly-increased seismicity.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/42baaf1cfc95.gif[/atsimg]

this is one of those subjects rarely investigated with any seriousness and current times are showing more activity everywhere that needs to investigated more thoroughly.

Our sun Earth & moon are all siblings of the same cycle in our universe.

I don't think its a coincidence we are taught the circle of life when we are young. this is true dis-info from the start. there is no circle its more like an Elliptical of life sure its a bit more confusing but we as humans can figure this Earth out I am sure.!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54d453649e02.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is a very interesting read.
But as for the dangerous side to a Super Moon? I don't think so. It happened according to the article only 20 years ago -- and here we still are.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Awesome thread -W1ll, it really helps put it all in perspective.
I'm sure we'll be ok but it may be a bumpy ride.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I agree its not the end of the world... nature sure does give us a bumpy ride!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is probably the best thread I've read in the last couple of days. Totally Fascinating stuff

Though, I have to admit I'm one of those ignorant people you mention in your thread. I don't know much about the moon,nor the sun and their effects on earth. I've heard before the moon does some weird things to people and the planet but I never expected this much. The moon is definitely an ominous object in our night skies we shouldn't underestimate.

Anyway... putting this one in my favourites.

edit on 11/09/2010 by SlovenlyGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It's all very interesting conjecture at this point. I haven't read anything to truly alarm me about the so called super moon. Solar activity is more concerning, however the sun has always had some sort of activity of one kind or another. Now it's just a matter of studying and cataloging these possible effects...and putting it out there for less educated people like me to digest. If I'm going to be alarmed by anything at this point and turning a suspicious eye regarding all the shaking going on in various locations, it will be unchecked fracking. I think so many credible people, especially Robin Marks, have put together a really compelling case for fracking either causing or exacerbating bad seismic effects on earth and destroying our water supplies. At any rate we seem to be looking at a perfect storm of disparate factors coming together to cook up problems for our beautiful planet and its people and wildlife.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Great research and writing! Something’s going down. It’s a preponderance of the evidence. Maybe a Super Moon wouldn’t be as big of a deal if it were the only factor. But so many things are coinciding here. The super moon, increasing solar activity, an alignment with this unique comet (orbital period of 38,000 years) then of course is how much humans have already augmented Earth’s instability. Many people are having symptoms associated with coming quakes, even people away from faults. Then there are all of the Earth’s symptoms. She’s sick. Really, really, sick. And most people are still totally unimpressed and feel no responsibility whatsoever. The overall changes are coming much more rapidly than before the New Year. Then there’s FEMA spending tons of money (1 billion dollars?) on emergency food and preparations, Hilary Clinton convening an unprecedented mass meeting of U.S. ambassadors, The FCC testing and changing the emergency broadcast to include a presidential address - all of this within a matter of a few weeks? When I read that that the entire Rockefeller family (24+ people) and Bill and Melissa Gates and Warren Buffet were all in New Delhi, I had enough coincidences. I have since prepared a bug-out bag and made myself susceptible to mockery from my husband.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing

Better to be prepared than hungry thirsty or cold..

this thread just popped up very nice images of a large flare, theres some great info throughout the thread, time to monitor everything and see what the effects are!

X Flare!

edit on 3/9/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
please read this

www.space.com...

take close notice of this line, "It should be noted that astrology is not a real science, but merely makes connections between astronomical and mystical events"

why ruin a well put together thread with wild speculation and complete bollocks?

just go outside on the 19th and enjoy the view, safe in knowledge that nothing bad will happen.

mind you i might give you a star and flag just for this "the planet’s poles have limbered up to the point that humans - among Earth’s most notorious freeloaders - may be thrown from the surface by a sudden worldwide jolt", funniest thing i've read for ages

edit on 9-3-2011 by Neilc1972 because: added info and nipple clamps

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
This is a very interesting read.
But as for the dangerous side to a Super Moon? I don't think so. It happened according to the article only 20 years ago -- and here we still are.

I know I'm a huge science and facts kinda guy, especially on ATS (after all, gotsa deny that ignorance), but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the uneventful passing of the moon's last perigee is not necessarily an indication that the close approach has no effect. First of all, for it to have an effect, it doesn't necessarily mean it has to bring about chaos and the end of the world. Second, was anyone paying attention the last time this occurred, to see if there was any seismic correlation with the close approach? Third, the current seismic stability of the planet may be significant less than it was the last time. The moon may have little effect on a stable crust, but it may be the needed catalyst that sets off now-unstable regions like the New Madrid Seismic Zone. I should note, as has just been discovered in another thread, the active fault in Arkansas (part of the NMSZ) is dangerous susceptible to external stimulus at the moment, which, observationally, is unprecedented. The P waves from the 6.1 off Japan a little while ago triggered a 3.5 in Arkansas. A short time later, the P waves from the 6.6 off Papua New Guinea triggers a slightly smaller quake (a 2.something, I believe) at the same location in Arkansas. The influence of the moon may have been negligible the last time, but it may be just what's needed to set off the NMSZ, or any other currently unstable fault system, now.

So, while there's absolutely no cause to believe that this will lead to anything world-ending, I do believe that we should be watching and aware that the situation may be a bit different this time around.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Neilc1972

I was not trying to make the claim that astrology is a science. Although mainstream science is on the same level as astrology.

I would like you to point out what you think in my thread is speculation or bollocks.
I agree the far fetched stories they give in the news article are laughable but the effects of the sun and moon on the earth is anything but speculation.

i am not trying to spread doom, I only want to show what MSM and popular science are ignoring.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

agreed and well put...

I used the article dates and went back. some of their dates were off and the most recent in 2005 was right on the perigee.

from my OP.

so from the article we have - Aug. 29, 2005 10 days after - Sept. 21 1938 3 weeks after - February 1955 2 months after...

looking for the perigee of those dates HERE it shows a Perigee on
Aug 19 - 2005
Sept 20, and Aug 23, - 1938
Jan 6, Feb 2, Feb 27, March 26, April 23 - 1955.

this is the link for the perigee calculator i used. www.fourmilab.ch...
it is the HERE link in the quote from the OP

edit on 3/9/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

I've been paying close attention to the abnormal cluster of quakes that have been occurring off the coast of Oregon, and, now, I've been including the quakes off Japan. I graphed both clusters (and continue to do so) along with the lunar rise, meridian, and set times for the area off the coast of Oregon where the quakes have been occurring to see if there's any correlation. Of course, the cluster off Japan could be unrelated, but I included it just in case. For the couple of days they occurred, though, there is a strong correlation between the earthquakes off Oregon and the moon being directly overhead. I wouldn't dare say there's an actual connection yet, with just a couple days of data, but I will see what happens the next few nights. If the pattern continues, I will certainly be posting the evidence.

Also, I've justified plotting the Japan quakes on the same Oregon-based lunar cycle by considering that the stress of the moon on the eastern side of the Pacific plate may cause quakes on the western side. I know, that's a tenuous connection, but I really only included the Japan quakes on the off chance there does turn out to be a connection.

I also noted that there were no quakes off Oregon last night, as those off Japan were beginning. That might be important, as well.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
S & F

Extremely well put together thread and worth the read.

The next couple of weeks might be interesting. It sure has been this year already.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
MSNBC just posted an article on this "super moon".
They are saying it may or may not effect the earth.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Westcoast, I'm glad to see you on this thread. I was hoping you'd be able to weigh in on the possibility of a connection between the moon and the quakes off Oregon while I'm actually compiling the data. I think this would be the perfect place for me to do that.
Assuming -W1LL doesn't mind me using his thread for my own evil deeds

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Those who believe in horoscopes might be. Some astrologers (not astronomers) say this natural wonder signals the beginning of a "moonageddon," coinciding with enormous storms, earthquakes and floods. Kit Karson at Psychic Cosmos further predicts that the financial markets could collapse as prices surge into "panic mode."

both wild speculation AND complete bollocks

it was a well put together thread, you obviously put a lot of time and effort in to it, why ruin it?

Aug. 29, 2005 10 days after Sept. 21 1938 3 weeks after February 1955 2 months after

now had these events happened at the same time as the supermoon it might have held a bit more water, but 2 months after the event thats pushing it a bit dont you think?

"Given the relative influence of a planetary alignment and the lack of correlation of earthquakes with the dominant gravitational effects, we would not expect planetary alignments to significantly infleunce either the rate of occurrence of earthquakes or the relative motion of the tectonic plates. No significant correlations of earthquakes with planetary alignments have been found."
seismo.berkeley.edu...

"mainstream science is on the same level as astrology" sorry mate but no it isnt, not even close, astrology is wild speculation and complete bollocks, science, (from the Latin scientia, meaning knowledge) builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations. totally different
edit on 9-3-2011 by Neilc1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
S&F for you for making people aware of this.
Really nice work!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
So, if anyone's interested, here's what I've got so far for the Oregon and Japan clusters over the past 3 days (the 4th day will be after tonight):

Of course, the meridian time is the point where the moon is directly over the Oregon cluster location.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

You know I was watching a "romance film" (idk tatum channing, dad was a coin collector) with my wife and TC was telling the girl "you know no matter what, how large the moon appears it is always smaller than your thumb..." I said oh that is BS. My wife said it is true. I remember being on Diego-Garcia about 20 years ago and the moon was so large it seemed you could touch it if you were in a plane. It was big where I was. It seems you could almost touch it where I stood. It was HUGE and MAGNIFICENT! ! I always assumed it was because I was out in the ocean and where I was. I have a promise to her that one day we will go out on the ocean near the equator, maybe Fiji . and I will prove it. But i have to show her this now. God I would've have looked silly getting there and the "Great Silver Lady" would have been smaller than my thumb. Plus Tatum Channing's character would look like he knew what he was talking about and I wouldn't have. Now I don't have to go for another 20 +/- years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join