It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what's with the allowed racism here?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Travlla

My god i misused 2 apostrophes ,what the hell am i gonna do now
the horror the horror........................

What do "we" say about Australians ?

Obviously, you never noticed that someone long before me made the same point about the apostrophes! (You may have noticed that my first post on this thread was agreeing with him - or on the other hand, you obviously didn't notice! Or maybe you did but you gave him a free pass for some reason...
Surely you know what New Zealanders say about Aussies? Heaps of things... I was thinking about the fact that (many of us) say that Aussies are so racist they put Don Brash in the shade...
V.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I have complained... nothing was done...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

If a term is used too frequently in a hateful manner it becomes an insult.
Paki is not really racist, because Pakistani is not a race, but, in most situations, it is now an insult.

It's all about intention in the first place, and then accustomed usage.
Call a mouse a gloggle for long enough, and gloggle means mouse.
Use Paki to mean something despicable for long enough, and the word comes to mean something despicable.

Idiot, mongol, dumb, spastic, and retard were all just regular words until usage made them into insults. After they became insults, polite people avoided using them.

Pakistani may not be a race, but it is a nationality. Do you get the point?
I have worked with people with disabilities for 15 years. Retard was never a neutral word and dumb always meant mute not stupid.
AFAIK, the usage of dumb to mean stupid, originated with American children, then spread to American adults, and from there to film and TV, and from there to Australians and New Zealanders, who all show a huge lack of intelligence and national pride, by picking up every bit of American lexis and grammar as if America is some kind of paradise.
It makes me vomit.
Retard is not a word, was never a word and is simply an American insult.
Dumb is a word, it means mute. It never meant stupid, and was only turned into one, because of the American loathing/fear of anyone/everyone different from the white male norm.
Don't be a follower Kailassa, be the leader you think you are!
V.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Here is my take on this.
People who are offended by a term that is considered racist need to look at the word from various angles.First, who decided it was a racist term.
If a Pakistani is called a Paki it is just a shortened form of their country of origin. Just like having a Chinese meal for tea, how many people have a Chinky at the end of a night out. I have actually asked people this question regarding the shortened version of their country of origin and only one person ever said they were offended by it.
Irish are called Paddies, the Scotish are Scots Welsh are Taffies , Phillipinos are Phillies etc etc.
Now...if a Pakistani is called a Paki and comes from there it's just a shortened version, however if that Pakistani was to actually be a a person from India then he would have a cause to be offended. If he was called a paedophile and wasn't then again I would uphold the offence but to call an actual paedophile a pedo then it is a fact and therefore not racist.
It is about time people stopped being like sheep and stopped looking at their or other peoples colours.
I can be called a white honky etc and that's fine cos I am white. No offence would be taken but I would be offended if I was called something I was not.
So if you come from Scotland then as far as I am concerned you will be Scot, if that offends the person then GET A LIFE.
More important things in this world need debating.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

My god i misused 2 apostrophes ,what the hell am i gonna do now
the horror the horror........................

What do "we" say about Australians ?

Obviously, you never noticed that someone long before me made the same point about the apostrophes! (You may have noticed that my first post on this thread was agreeing with him - or on the other hand, you obviously didn't notice! Or maybe you did but you gave him a free pass for some reason...
Surely you know what New Zealanders say about Aussies? Heaps of things... I was thinking about the fact that (many of us) say that Aussies are so racist they put Don Brash in the shade...
V.

Your first post in this thread was having a dig at me about apostrophes,you were the first person to mention apostrophes in this thread,the only other person who mentioned it was bakinblack and he was being sarcastic toward you .
"Run guys, it's the grammar police.. "
and
"OMG, incorrect use of a comma..
Why a comma before and after "men".??
I can understand the "after' one but the "before one.??
Bad grammar..."

Hardly sound like he's a part of your grammar police squad does it?

If Kiwi's think Australia is such a racist nation why is 1/10 of their population living here?i will ask my Kiwi buddy's at work tomorrow if they think we are a racist country, The bond between Oz and NZ is very strong so good luck with your anti Oz group in NZ,

This thread if you remember was about the P word not grammar or your hate for Oz Canada and the US,You seem to practice you own form of racism in regard for these countries,

In the UK it's a racist slur ,no argument there

People from other nations including Australia and the US have pointed out that it is not a racist slur in their country's,why can you not understand that?

just because a word has certain connotations in a certain part of the world (this case the UK) does not necessary mean it has the same connotations everywhere,

As i have said again and again in this thread,i will not use the word so i don't offend anyone from the UK,I'm very sorry that i do not know every connotation for every word used on the planet,How possibly could i ?

I have seen the word kafir used on this site in relation to the Muslim word for non believers ,Take that word to South Africa and start calling non muslims that and see what happens,It's a highly offensive racist slur to non white South Africans ,Different places different connotations

I will repeat again for the hard of hearing ,this is not a racist term in Australia,but as not to offend anyone from the UK i will not use this word,To be honest it's only ever heard by me in relation to cricket and since i don't like cricket and therefore do not discuss it,i don't use the word,

edit on 26/2/2011 by Travlla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by justyc

A lot of the (we will say p word) is being used not a racist term but (like me) people tend to shorting words. And most people don't know the P word is a racist term i have used it many times and still do when referring to my wife.

She is Pakistani and uses the P word all the time as a shorter way to say Pakistani but one day we went shopping at a halal store run by Pakistanis and i was talking to my wife and said the P word her jaw dropped and she say "you can't say that here its a racist term." I was like WTF? (i didn't know it was) I am just lazy and like to shorten my words.

I use that same word to refer to a package store i never mean it as a race thing and that's why i don't use it here but i refuse to never use it again just because i found out some people think it is racist.

So maybe the context it is used will help you understand if it is racist or you could replay to a poster saying that you feel it is a racist term and would like them to say Pakistani or package store.

Just remember not everyone who says the P word is racist.

edit on 2/26/2011 by GunzCoty because: i forgot why

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by exroyalnavy

Tho inthenthitiff!

"How could you!?" - The Shining

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I will repeat again for the hard of hearing ,this is not a racist term in Australia,but as not to offend anyone from the UK i will not use this word,To be honest it's only ever heard by me in relation to cricket and since i don't like cricket and therefore do not discuss it,i don't use the word,

Sigh... the person I was referring to was not Backinblack, but some guy on the first page! (I can't remember his name.)
As for your whine about the commas, I don't care! I can't go back to that posting, but I am sure there was a reason you can't understand... English teaching is my job! Care to pay me $45.00 an hour? If so, I'll explain it to you.
V.
As for the word, did you follow the link to the Wikipedia page? Did you notice how many of the ethnic clurs mentioned are Australian and American?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Sigh... the person I was referring to was not Backinblack, but some guy on the first page! (I can't remember his name.)
As for your whine about the commas, I don't care! I can't go back to that posting, but I am sure there was a reason you can't understand... English teaching is my job! Care to pay me $45.00 an hour? If so, I'll explain it to you.
V.
As for the word, did you follow the link to the Wikipedia page? Did you notice how many of the ethnic clurs mentioned are Australian and American?

Are you for real or just a troll?Can you quote this mysterious grammar nazi you claim is on the grassy knoll on the first page ? Put up or shut up,
as for the wikipedia page i counted 8 not including the term Aboriginals use for white peeps,a term i have never heard,but it also said "skip" was an ethnic slur against white Aussies,that's a plain lie, the word is used but not as a slur,
Sorry but a lot more were attributed to the UK than Australia,So going by the evidence you are using the UK is a lot more racist than Oz,

i really don't know what you want from me,i have explained many times i wont use the stupid bloody word,and the fact it's not a racial slur in Australia,but for whatever reason you fail to acknowledge that.

edit on 27/2/2011 by Travlla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Are you for real or just a troll?Can you quote this mysterious grammar nazi you claim is on the grassy knoll on the first page ? Put up or shut up,

What I want from you is for you to use your eyes, read the first two pages, and then, I believe the word is STFU? If the guy didn't exist, how could I have quoted him in my first post, and I did...
Bored with you already. Ignoring now.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

What I want from you is for you to use your eyes, read the first two pages, and then, I believe the word is STFU? If the guy didn't exist, how could I have quoted him in my first post, and I did...
Bored with you already. Ignoring now.

This is like shooting fish in a barrel LOL
And here is your first post in this thread(below),your quoting me! do i need to quote your every post in this thread to prove you are a liar or highly delusional,i have been thru every post of yours in this thread and there is no one else mentioning grammar except bakinblack and he was being sarcastic,
Did aliens abduct this alleged post of yours and the one by the mysterious member and possibly subject them to anal probes?

Typical left wing nutter ,as soon as the argument doesn't go your way and your lies are exposed,you take your bat and ball and go home,

Please prove wrong and i will admit I'm wrong (hard for some people) and apologise,if the evidence is on page one as you claim it will be very easy,

A few roo's loose in the top paddock me thinks

Originally posted by justyc
twice recently i have made an alert to staff over the use of the term 'paki' which i saw in two separate threads (which in most countries is like calling a black person a n****r).

not only have i seen that no action has been taken and the work corrected to say 'pakistani' instead, but a quick search shows that this term is used often here and i notice i am not the only person who brings this point to light (though i don't know how many others have complained to staff about it's use). i haven't heard back from any staff about it.

so, is it officially ok then that this offensive term is used here without correction?

So if calling a Pakistani a Paki is racist is calling an Australian an Aussie racist ? If not why the hell not,Paki is not regarded racist in Oz,My mates GF is Filipino ask him what nasho his GF is a he will tell you she's fillo,is he being racist,Lebanese are called Lebo's here as well,the Lebo's call themselves that as well,
Maybe the posters were Aussie's,we shorten everything BBQ=Barby ,Mosquito=Mozzy ,Bottle shop=BottleO

As you're an Aussie, I should cut you some slack - after all, you know what we say about youse guys?
But 1. Plurals don't take apostrophes.
2. Paki is a racist slur. Take it from me. It's actually a banned term on the BBC website.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Travlla

Look, you seriously need to grow up!
How obsessed are you anyway, to go back through the thread? It's possible that I am getting mixed up with another thread in which a guy I quoted and I made the same point about plurals and apostrophes. You're the one obsessed enough about to get all up in my face with insults and abuse, I am not, so I was at a disadvantage, inasmuch as I couldn't be arsed going back through it all.
GET A SENSE OF PROPORTION! I apologise for confusing the threads and for trying to educate you, both about grammar and about racism.
A phrase my father used to use about the impossibility of explaining something to those who don't wish to hear, springs to mind.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

reply to post by Travlla

Look, you seriously need to grow up!
How obsessed are you anyway, to go back through the thread? It's possible that I am getting mixed up with another thread in which a guy I quoted and I made the same point about plurals and apostrophes. You're the one obsessed enough about to get all up in my face with insults and abuse, I am not, so I was at a disadvantage, inasmuch as I couldn't be arsed going back through it all.
GET A SENSE OF PROPORTION! I apologise for confusing the threads and for trying to educate you, both about grammar and about racism.
A phrase my father used to use about the impossibility of explaining something to those who don't wish to hear, springs to mind.

You were confused no worries,
Obsessed maybe passionate yes,Sorry but when someone is trying to make me look the fool (as you were) i fill to my best to prove them wrong
Oh and you did teach me plurals don't take apostrophes. never to old to learn
thanks for the debate

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

You have no right to correct anybody, not everybody has perfect English skills, and to cause such an argument over a simple misuse / lack of an apostrophe is downright arrogant at best, almost as bad as racism.

There are many foreign members on ATS, are you going to correct them everytime they don't quite get our sacred language right? If they don’t dot their lower case i, is that going to send you into overdrive?

Learn to respect that not everybody can be as perfect as you.

I know there is limits, if somebody came on giving it "Dat wuz wur I told um u cud place ez fur it", then I could maybe understand, but not for simple mistakes, for crying out loud, show some humanity.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

I know there is limits, if somebody came on giving it "Dat wuz wur I told um u cud place ez fur it", then I could maybe understand, but not for simple mistakes, for crying out loud, show some humanity.

Please, leave it out!
He and I have come to an understanding, and he says I taught him something, so it's okay!
I don't correct people who have English as a second language, in fact that's my day job (unless they ask!), so don't jump down my throat.
He and I had a misunderstanding about this thread, but it was actually on another thread, where someone else corrected the same thing!
So, I am far from being the only one...
I was just denying ignorance!

V.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Why are UK members so obsessed with it being a racial slur? Sure people (especially during the skinhead 80's era) used it as a racial insult, but it's not. A lot of people call Indians Paki's which can be used as racial profiling, and to them it is an insult, but to a Paki it's not. Take for example a business owner round here, everyone knows him as Paki Bobby, why? Because he is from Pakistan, he has said to me before "If you see xxxx, tell him/her Paki Bobby's looking for him / her".

Sure a lot of people in the UK try to use it to be racist, but not everybody here thinks like that.

When people use the N word they are using against a persons skin colour, that is racist.

When someone calls a Paki a Paki it's because they are Pakistani, as someone has already pointed out, Afghan, Paki, Brit, Aussie.

It's not like calling an American a Yank, or a Frenchman a frog!
edit on 25/2/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

I'm an American and I don't find the term Yank offensive. As a matter of fact, I think it's kinda cute. I always considered it a term of endearment.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

I agree 100 percent. I haven’t seen the word used but if I do I will protest it. I think there is a double standard here. If this is an international forum then they should be aware that people from Pakistan and immigrants in the west from Pakistan likely are a part of the forum, therefore they should afford those people the same consideration they afford other groups.

If they won’t then we should enforce this ourselves.

When these slurs are used I will directly confront the poster and call them out and label them the bigots they are.

And I just don’t mean slurs against minorities but also against White people as well

It is only when we finally realize we are all one race--the human race--that we will have universal peace. That is if we want that.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

I was actually under the impression that up north it's OK, but call a southerner a Yank and it's noose time.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

reply to post by maybee

I was actually under the impression that up north it's OK, but call a southerner a Yank and it's noose time.

LOL
I am a southerner but it's OK for you all to call me that, You are right, I wouldn't like hearing it so much from a US Northerner.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

I will try and not use the term paki as i don't want to offend the poms,but really guys the days of the UK being the centre of the universe are long gone so maybe relax a bit,and get over yourselves,

AHA!
You're lucky this derogatory term ceased to be derogatory in 2006..

The term pommy, often shortened to pom, in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, commonly denotes a person of British (English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish) origin. A derogatory term, it was controversially ruled no longer offensive in 2006 by the Australian Advertising Standards Board and in 2010 by the New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority.

I'm watching you.

Really, this is just silly.. we have panels and boards that decide which words are to be considered offensive now? Talk about worthless eaters...

Originally posted by AlienCarnage
There are terms in some countries that have no meaning in other countries because history is different. Negro was a term that meant black that was changed into the derogatory politically incorrect term that referred to black people.

Case in point:

The translation of the n-word in my country is not considered racist, depending on the context of course, I guess it's because we were never really involved in the slave trade.

Edit to clarify: I realized it's not really the n-word, or maybe it is(I don't know how americans view that), it's the n-word followed by an 'e'. The n-e-word I guess..

This is getting silly.. I'm all for Wayno's idea of reconquering words.
edit on 27-2-2011 by TheLaughingGod because: Clarify

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join