It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KY proposes smoking ban in cars with kids

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Fantastic. I'm all for this. Are most of you that irresponsible that you will happily chuff away on your cancer sticks while your kids inhale the toxic second hand smoke damaging their bodies in ways they will never recover from? I don't care if it's a tobacco state, it's common sense, simple common sense. You don't smoke around your own kids, let alone others.

Smoke and kill yourself, that's fine, but smoking and kill your own children is just selfish. They should make this a mandatory law EVERYWHERE.
edit on 18-1-2011 by DigitalSea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Really? Black people on the back of the bus? Last time I inhaled a black person I'm fairly certain he didn't pollute my lungs.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Wtf is wrong with you people??? Why is this bad?
They are defending your kid! Why dont they ban tobacco? Well because you would be angry just like you are now from such a good idea they made. Why dont you lot stop smoking? Oh you cant? What a bull, i know at least 5 people who were heavy smokers all their life and stoped because THEY WANTED TO.

Stop smoking.
Stop wasting your money and time.
Stop wasting your life.
And most importantly stop wasting your childs life.

This is disgusting.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I haven't read the whole thread but in my opinion this is a good idea and should be rolled out everywhere.

If you wanna smoke do it where others don't have to breath in the poison.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
I sort of agree with the idea of it...

I hate to say. I'm sort of on the fence.

Smoking with kids in the car is a bad idea. I am a smoker, raised 2 kids and never smoked in close spaces with them around. That said the gov telling me what to do stinks, enough already.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by StarBoy

I think it's a matter of "why now?" Everything seems to be getting restricted in a relatively short amount of time. Banning this, moderating that, politically correcting this, etc etc.

We'll a prohibition on smoking and then legalize weed.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalSea
Fantastic. I'm all for this. Are most of you that irresponsible that you will happily chuff away on your cancer sticks while your kids inhale the toxic second hand smoke damaging their bodies in ways they will never recover from? I don't care if it's a tobacco state, it's common sense, simple common sense. You don't smoke around your own kids, let alone others.

Smoke and kill yourself, that's fine, but smoking and kill your own children is just selfish. They should make this a mandatory law EVERYWHERE.
edit on 18-1-2011 by DigitalSea because: (no reason given)

The libs do this, take a topic people believe in and mkae laws that take freedoms ...and more and more. I agree about not smoking around kids, great, don't do it. But make it law? Thats just plain stupid. Make it against the law to eat sugar, drink cokes, ride a bike, drive a car - all of those will kill you too.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
The sad thing about this thread is that most people see this as the Government taking away your rights and trying to control you. The whole "Government is trying to control us" mantra does not apply to everything people. Stop looking for a hidden meaning in everything the Government does.

Even if this is for money making purposes, I commend it. If you're stupid enough to smoke around your kids inside of a closed space in your car you deserve to be fined until you get the point that smoking kills people inhaling around you quicker than it does you.

Seriously people. To those of you against this, smoke and have children, I feel sorry for your kids having such an irresponsible paranoid and delusional parent who thinks the government trying to implement a law that might save some lives including their own is a bad thing.

Grow up people. Smoking might have been cool in the 70's and 80's, but it's not cool any more. It's time to grow up, you're not a school kid hiding under a tree at the back of your school smoking because everyone else was and thought it was cool. You have a responsibility to your kids and yourself.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Chett

Our bodies need sugar to survive, our bodies use it as an energy source. Drinking a sugary drink around your kids won't kill them, neither will drinking alcohol or eating fattening foods. Get realistic, smoking has by products that have harmful consequences.

Sure population in the air probably isn't any better for you, but do you people really need to make things worse? Is it not bad enough your kids are already breathing in crap?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by StarBoy

Ah see this isn't a debate about smoking, it's a debate on whether people should smoke around their children.

Whilst I wholeheartedly disagree with the OP I have to say I disagree with you as well.

By now everyone should be aware of the risks associated with smoking and if they want to smoke that's entirely up to them (and yes I am a smoker) however the issue here is that people feel they won't be harming anyone else by smoking and this is incorrect. If you are going to smoke in enclosed places other people will be affected by this plain and simple.

OP,

You state that everyone in your area had chimneys smoking and nobody got cancer. First of all the smoke from a fire is hugely different from the smoke of a cigarette and secondly the smoke from a chimney is outside and dispersed by the fresh air meaning that the intake is significantly less concentrated, are you ignorant to this fact or are you (if you'll pardon the pun) attempting to add fuel to the fire.

The drinking in the home / fast food / chemically enhanced water / drugs argument is also not a valid one. You cannot passively drink or eat or inject or snort.

All this boils down to is the parenting skills of said smoker, I mean come on it should be common sense not to smoke around children or others that don't smoke, it is invasive, smells bad and can cause all sorts of ailments.
There should be no need for this law at all however the fact that there is just goes to show how bacwards, selfish and ignorant some people can be.

Truth_Hz

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
its quite simple, their should be a world wide smoking ban forever.put that in ya pipe and smoke it.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I'm torn on this because, although I do smoke, I don't like to when kids are in the car. As a child, it's the thing I hated most was to ride in a car with somebody who can't even crack a window. Yet, if the health of children is the issue, then I don't really see why it should be a negative issue.

The law's going into effect to help protect kids, right? That's not a bad thing.

I had a rent-a-cop tell me I couldn't smoke in my car while parked in a lot at the hospital. I told him if he thinks the cops are going to actually come over here, go ahead and call them.

We have the right/privilege to smoke, so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others to be toxin free.

But I do agree with you OP. Most often they're sticking their noses where they don't belong.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
This is insane - and the next thing they will do is put a detector in "your home" that rings to a station to let them know if you are smoking. A total invasion of privacy and to think Ky use to be a tobacco state and made a lot of revenue off tobacco products and still does.

And what about the childrens right to health? Are you saying idiotic parents right to smoke is more important than inflicting cancer causing smoke on their powerless children.

Jesus, this is a no brainer.........................

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
hmmmm. Lots of people standing on soapboxes here.

Regardless of what you think of smoke, or what you think of people who smoke in any setting.....how can you sit here with a straight face and support a law that prevents someone from doing a legal activity in their own private property?

Sure, it's all fine and good when the product they're restricting or banning is something that you don't like anyway. What happens when they tell you that you can't heat your home with gas or wood because of the carbon monoxide they release? On second though, never mind that, just go ahead and tell yourself that'll never happen...

If you believe that this is really about the dangers of secondhand cigarette smoke, I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you.

Also, how far-reaching will this be? In a traffic jam, if the car next to a car with kids has a single adult inside and that adult is smoking with the windows down, is that adult going to be in violation of the law?

Finally, what's the point of banning smoking in cars with kids present, if the parent smokes in the home with kids present? Never mind what you think of that person, or of that action. Forget your prejudices and opinions for a second and think about that question. Now tell me what's coming next. Here's another question, though. Are you going to require every head of household to register their residence as smoking or nonsmoking, and require the smoking households to install cigarette smoke detectors? If so, how do you know that smokers didn't lie? Okay, easy fix. Require every household to install detectors. Yay, now you nonsmokers have to pay for devices to be installed in your home that you neither needed nor wanted.

Yeah, maybe detectors aren't the best idea. Let's just put neighborhood cops out in the streets, and they can go knocking down doors to make sure there's no one smoking inside. Sieg Heil.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by StarBoy

You all have rights as americans too do as you please,but you do not have the right to pollute yours or any one else's childs lungs with tobacco smoke,which is provan to be bad for your health,why are people so against this,i am a smoker and i have a child and i dont smoke anywhere in the house becuase i know its bad and if i did drive a car i wouldnt smoke in it with any child either.

you should relise that you dont have a choice in the matter about this,kids health comes first before the smokers right to smoke where he/she please's,get over it and lets move onto sumthing else

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

there's no more smokers at the back of the bus anymore, they have all been forced off and thrown towards the gutter.

this here just shows the kind of ill will that the smoker is subject to , when breaking these no smoking regulations and how far they will go to defend the complainers and their right to smoke free areas.

www.myfoxny.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
if smoking is so bad and harmful to people and people around them, why do they not just stop selling them?
it seems laughable that when buying them you are a law abiding citizen, but when using them you are considered a criminal or treated like one for just being a smoker.

i agree you should not smoke around children if you are responsible, but with all the laws coming in about smoking not just in the u.s. but in the u.k. to, it makes one wonder why buying them is legal, especially when people are running out of places to smoke them, and treated like scum for doing so.

sorry just remembered the reason, taxes, fines etc. = income, who will they move to next when there are no smokers left?

hey mate, watch where your eating that your getting crumbs on the pavement, i have no choice but to issue you with a £60 fine, for being unsocial and littering. do you think other people want to hear you slop in public!
edit on 18-1-2011 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by redgy

It's not a conspiracy it common decency!!

I am a smoker and have been for over 15 years yet I have never once smoked around kids or people that don't smoke, everyone has been banging on about an infringement of smokers rights it's BS!! We have the right to smoke in a well ventilated area that is not going to harm anyone else with our stupid habit... It's more than fair and it's not like it's that much of a chore to walk outside of a building or step outside of a car.

This isn't an attack on your civil liberties it's a step to protect those who haven't made the ridiculous choice (myself included) of becoming dependant on nicotine!
edit on 18-1-2011 by Truth_Hz because: coz mi spellig iz rubbsh innit

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Here is my opinion, being I live in the great poor state of Kentucky. This state as of last year was one of the poorest in the union and one of the highest taxed. I pay property tax on a vehicle every year, you know that same vehicle that i payed tax on when originally purchased. Our neighboring states do not pay property tax on vehicles. If I am to be mandated on what I can and can not do in my personal dwellings, (home/vehicle), how is it that I should have to pay to continue to own it. There is nothing we truly ever own, I have 3 autos paid off, no loans with any organization, but I fail to pay the taxes and what will happen. Soon enough we will have absolutely zero rights.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth_Hz

common decency would be to give smokers somewhere to smoke without being made to feel like criminals.
i agree with what your saying on the surface but what about a smokers right to smoke? it is not illegal to smoke.

also if it is illegal to smoke in a car with kids, no doubt the next step will be not being allowed to smoke in your own home if kids are present, adding to the endless places smokers cannot smoke, and are criminals if they do so.

soon smokers will gather under bridges, tossed aside, for buying something that is legal but very addictive, along with all the illegal drug users. the drug users will be laughing because they are not followed around and fined for leaving crack pipes and needles all over the place.

edit on 18-1-2011 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join