It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KY proposes smoking ban in cars with kids

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

KY proposes smoking ban in cars with kids

www.kltv.com

Kentucky's Speaker of the House Greg Stumbo proposed House Bill 216 in the Kentucky legislature that would ban drivers from smoking in a car around children under the age of 17.

Stumbo says the bill is an effort to protect kids from the health risks of second-hand smoke. Opponents say it is an unnecessary intrusion on citizens privacy. Drivers, parents, smokers and non-smokers in Northern Kentucky are mixed on the issue.

Sarah Courtney, a non-smoker and mother of 1-year-old Emma, says parents know smoking is harmful and should be against the law while driving in cars with children. "Ev
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If this pass's and my fellow Kentuckians stand for this crap.
i will riot i will loot!!!!
I am sick of this Police crap.
If you want to make smoking illegal stop selling the dang thing's PERIOD!!!!
I can go up to the bar here drink 4 beer's and drive home.
But heaven forbid i smoke a cigarette with my kid in the car after i drunk the 4 beer's.

I am sick of people trying to tell me AKA average citizen WTF i can do in my own home or car.
and once you dumb ignorant non-smoker's realize you gave them the right to start going after you and your fast food...sugar drink's..and make it illegal if u give sugar to your kid's.
I will laugh and then kick you NONE smoker's right smack dab in the teeth.
lol

www.kltv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This is insane - and the next thing they will do is put a detector in "your home" that rings to a station to let them know if you are smoking. A total invasion of privacy and to think Ky use to be a tobacco state and made a lot of revenue off tobacco products and still does.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This is absurd, especially here in KY. I grew up working in the tobacco fields. Ky is a tobacco state. Why are they growing it then? When I was growing up I was around people all the time that smoked, in the car, in the house, at work, everywhere. I'm 50 now and haven't died yet.
I see this as another way that Big Brother can make money while taking more rights away. Unbelievable....

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I sort of agree with the idea of it...

I hate to say. I'm sort of on the fence.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This is a matter of etiquette and nothing more. I smoke. But I don't around say, 1. People eating, 2. People who don't like smoking (I smoke downwind from these people), 3. In my car around people who don't smoke, 4. busy walkways and sidewalks.

Do I think this should be mandated? About as much as we should mandate holding doors open for people.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Yeah that is why this is flat stupid.
What i do in my own vehicle is not there concern.
If this is allowed they will bann smoking in the house with kid's.

But My point is it the parent's right to deem what is fit or not fit for there kid's.
Not some scientist or politician.

I was raised by a father who smoked 4 pack's a day...he is 68 year's old and still smoke's 4 pack's a day.
Did i get sick?NO
is he sick?NO

The whole ANTI smoking bullcrap piss's me off.
cause it's putting smoker's on the back of the bus..in the same way they did black people in the old day's.

I am a smoker...
I go to restaurant's that allow smoking.
But people are still trying to force the store owner's to stop smoker's...cause it's unfair to the non smoker's.

But am i allowed to protest a non smoking restaurant to allow me to smoke?NO i am not.
which make's it bullshyt with a capital BS.

I can go to a bar and get drunk off 4 beer's and drive home...but heaven forbid i smoke while i get drunk and drive home.

This is exactly what i preached was gonna happen when they started banning smoking in resturants and such
it opens a door for the politicians to do more damage.
So now anyone want to think what is going to happen when a parent get's caught smoking in the car?
fine..and social service's!!!

So i want to say this and i mean this from the bottom of my heart.
To all the people who think it's your duty in life to make me my family and every joe blow healthy AS YOU SEE IT...Need to stay the heck out of my life and what i do in MY CAR and MY HOUSE...
If they SELL IT IN A STORE i should be and AM legally allowed to use said substance as long as it doesn't impair my ability to drive.

All i can say folk's is i am pissed.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Can't let those new justice centers sit idle, can we?

Wonder how the fine for smoking around the kids compares to the fine for making them sit in the truckbed so that they won't have to breathe cigarette smoke.

If Greg Stumbo is determined to make KY a nanny state, he should start by proposing some legislation to protect his liver.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
cause it's putting smoker's on the back of the bus..in the same way they did black people in the old day's.

Oh friggen boo hoo.. Why don't you just hand out smokes to kids then.

I was with the on the fence guy but after reading that sentence above, wow, what a load of twaddle.

Jesus....

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
They do this in New Brunswick, Canada.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I am a smoker

I have kids

I think the state should stay out of it

I think anyone who smokes with kids in the car is seriously screwed up

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Well spoken and I too am pissed off! I am from Kentucky, grew up playing on tobacco farms, was around smokers, I smoke myself and I am 64 and doing fine. I don't smoke in a non smokers home or car but what I do in my own car and home is my own business and no one elses. I found it strange that Ky was so early to jump on the bandwagon to not smoke in restaurants. If there are any restaurants left for smokers I don't know where it is. I have lived in Indiana for a year now and there is one small town that has smoking and non smoking sections in their restaurants.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Thats been the law here in Australia for a while & theres no problems with it.

Seriously, if you cant make that tiny sacrifice for your kids health something is wrong.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is already a law in cailfornia. I had no idea, I was renewing my driver liscense last week and it was a question on the test I had to take. I thought to my self "NO way" but then I remembered I was in the Communist State of California and got the question right, unfortunately.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by TheAmused

Oh friggen boo hoo.. Why don't you just hand out smokes to kids then.

I was with the on the fence guy but after reading that sentence above, wow, what a load of twaddle.

Jesus....

Explain to me how it is any different then?
Non smoker's have stripped my Right's away little by little by little.
To the point i have to leave my place of employment's premise's to even smoke.
But your allowed to dip all day...
ironic isn't it?

None smoker's are allowed to tell me as if there are a BETTER class of people...Where i can smoke when i can smoke and how much i can smoke a day.
Am i allowed to tell non smoker's they are only allowed 1 bigmac a week? or they get fined
Or am i allowed to tell them giving soda pop to there kid's is wrong..and hurting them for life..maybe call social services on the and fine them for it?

The point is i am a HUMAN BEING with the same right as you..
If i want to have a restaurant that allow's smoker's that should be my right to choose i OWN the place.
There for prove's my point it is discrimination to not allow smoker's if the restaurant owner deems they can.
If non smoker's do not like the smoke..The door is right there...use it.
But if i go to a restaurant that is smoke free ..i do not light up to piss you off i DONT SMOKE.
Its called common curtsy.

Something non smoker's seem to know nothing about these day's.

But yes we are discriminated against no different than black people in the old day's.
Prove me wrong is it's BS Try

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Oooooh, I don't know what to say about this one. OP, you are one of my favorite posters on here... maybe because we live close and I love my fellow Kentuckians, and I don't know... I think we just kinda jive, ya know? lol.

Allow me to think out loud, lol. I'm a non-smoker. My boyfriend is practically a chain smoker. When we're in the car, he wont smoke when my children are in there because my two girls are allergic to cigarette smoke. Actually, he doesn't smoke around them at all. He will smoke in the car with his children though. It doesn't seem to bother them... they're almost never sick. He rolls the window down, but as you probably know, that doesn't eliminate all of it. Remember, I'm thinking out loud.

This is a tough one for me. I agree that people shouldn't have to breath second-hand smoke, but I always like to look at things from both sides and I can see where this would be highly frustrating for smokers because so many rights have been taken away already.

Gosh, there's just so many sides to this. I don't know where I stand on it. I have to say that there has been quite a bit lately that has surprised me, here in Kentucky. This is pretty far up at the top of that list. I don't know what to think...

I'm sorry that I really haven't contributed much to this thread. It's more a bunch of mixed up thoughts than anything. It
disturbs me when children are forced to breath second-hand smoke, especially if it makes them sick, yet it also disturbs me to see rights taken away. I guess when it comes right down to it, if smoke makes a child sick (speaking of allergies), the parent should be responsible enough to not smoke around their children anyway. I suppose that would be a parenting choice and not really relevant to this thread.

Ok, I'm going to shut up because I feel like I'm just going around in circles here, lol. Thank you for posting this. I hadn't heard of it. My boyfriend's gonna have a sh*t fit when he finds out!!!

S&F for you. I look forward to seeing opinions on this one. I don't know about ATS, but I know this isn't going to go over well in Kentucky AT ALL!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'm a smoker and think its a good idea.......I live in calif and think we might have that law......I have not smoked around kids or adults who do not smoke in many many yrs.....We also do not smoke in the house.....If my grandkids are out side when we smoke we make them go inside or in another area so as not to be near the smoke.If everyone did THIS we would not need this law.....Unfortunately many don't care and subject others and kids to there smoking.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SNAFU38
Thats been the law here in Australia for a while & theres no problems with it.

Seriously, if you cant make that tiny sacrifice for your kids health something is wrong.

You are flat brain dead no offense.
You have been hand fed BS statistic's for so long you got no idea.
The truth is and its a FACT..
1:80,000 die from lung cancer due to second hand smoke later in life.
1:100,000 die from lung cancer and never been around second hand smoke.

It's bullcrap math.
watch this video.
If you can't handle the truth so be it.

As pen and teller tell's you it's all BULLSHYT!!!!
the math is wrong PERIOD.

www.scumdoctor.com...

Some researches claim that more than 300,000 Americans are dying due to obesity every year and the number is rising annually.

WOW give ya kid's more fast food and pop!!!!
But you smoker's need fined and social services called on ya lol

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I think this is a good idea regardless of whether second-hand smoking is bad or not (it is).

If you put smoking before the health of your kids, you don't deserve to be a parent.

You're making it much more likely for your children to pick up the nasty habit.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarLightStarBright2
I'm a smoker and think its a good idea.......I live in calif and think we might have that law......I have not smoked around kids or adults who do not smoke in many many yrs.....We also do not smoke in the house.....If my grandkids are out side when we smoke we make them go inside or in another area so as not to be near the smoke.If everyone did THIS we would not need this law.....Unfortunately many don't care and subject others and kids to there smoking.

Lol you make your grand kids go in the house when your outside in the open air ?
Dude you are beat and broken man.
Do you tell your grandkid's to put on a gas mask when you pass gas ?
Or when you start your car?

Common...
Your care put's of more toxin's as you drive down the street kid's in stoller's breathe it.
Doesnt make you a bad guy lol
DOES IT?
A cigarette put's off 1000000 less emission's than the best car's exhaust.
LOL
this is why i don't live in California...
No offense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join