It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Burning the Koran is disgusting.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This is the most ridiculous media hype I've ever seen in my life.

If this doesn't prove the entire vast swath of media is controlled by the CIA, I don't know what does.

Why in the flying *#$^^$ should I give a rats behind about some wacko burning some Qurans?

This is a national news story worth a 24/7 multi-week media blitz?

Are you kidding me?

And we are even in here talking about this?

In the mean time our soldiers will probably blow up a few dozen more Taliban "terrorists" in Afghanistan. Why should the Muslim "terrorists" give a flying crap about a book burning when we are over there killing Muslims every day?

This is the most contrived media/CIA stunt in the history of media stunts.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Of course it's a stupid thing to burn the Koran, but, from all that I've read and seen, MOST Muslims have the sense to separate one idiotic act by some crazy preacher from an entire population and/or country.

Only in the USA would anyone even report this as if it's newsworthy. In places like Europe and the middle east, people are used to other cultures because they're often right next door.

Iran and Lebanon, to name a few have large Jewish populations that are treated pretty well BECAUSE the populations of those countries has the good sense to discern between these Jewish people and the Israeli Govt.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It is stated that sensativity is a 2 way street. In this current day and age, within the past 10 years, we have seen more senseless destruction and intolerance towards religion. Before 9/11 there was the blowing up of ancient world heritage sites, by blowing up statues of the Buddha, back in early 2001, all in the name of religion, yet the outcry was very small, yet no one was killed over it. People have, in the name of religion and politics, have destroyed works of art, and books, all cause it offended them, or even went against the social norm. Some have even went forward to where they have persecuted another on the grounds of faith.
In the past year, there are 2 points of controversy where religion has surrounded the entire debate. One is the controversy on the proposed Community Center/Ground Zero Mosque and the burning of the Quar'an. Most people agree that such is a bad idea and are often disgusted, by the very thought of such, but the reality is, that both groups have the right to do such. The Inman who is in charge of the ground zero mosque, has the right to build and construct there as he owns the land, and the pastor down in Florida has the right to burn the Quar'an, both are doing such as a statement, yet both will cry if they are not allowed to do such about religious intolerance and bigorty, and being denied their rights as guaranteed under the Constitution. I believe that both have the ability to move beyond what they desire, to appeal to their better natures, and say maybe we are being a bit sensative. But that has to go 2 ways, that means both sides need to be sensative to the other side, to show that they do understand as to why they are wrong.
Like all extremist and radicals, the problem is that the moment they decide to do something, the public feels is wrong, or even the government views as sensative, then someone says it is a bad idea. This is the incorrect way to handle such, cause it only fuels and feeds the fires of hatred. When in the case of the pastor building the Quar'an burning, the best solution is to let him, but ignore what is being done, not to give it any thought, and to just go on with our business. To keep paying attention to it, we are feeding his ego and actually telling him it is ok, for him to do such.
The ultimate irony and real shame of it all, is that the very people who this pastor is going to offend, has an opportunity to actually use this to gather support, and to just do nothing, to say nothing and to ignore it. That kind of statement, of silence would speak volumes around the world. But instead, they have chosen to speak out, and make threats against not only the pastor and his church, but also the country as well.
So here is the complexity of the issue, he has the right, but like many here would agree, he should not do such, and as distasteful as it is, I will have to agree to support his action, not because I agree with his actions, but because it is his right. Anything else would open the door to other freedoms being eroded.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Geez, OP, where were you when they placed a crucifix in urine, called it art and expected the tax payers to fund the display?

The only thing that will be burned is a book, not their faith.
Besides, considering there are over a BILLION followers, the book can easily be replaced.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

I just hope that this koran campfire event isn't going to lead into anything. The more this goes on and the more high ranking government and media people bring attention to this, the more this stinks.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutone

I just hope that this koran campfire event isn't going to lead into anything. The more this goes on and the more high ranking government and media people bring attention to this, the more this stinks.

We are blowing up Muslims every day.

Do you think "terrorists" give a flying crap about some wacko burning books?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Nah, burning the Koran is nothing compare to have somebody you know in front of the TV air by Aljazzera been beheaded on TV.

Is not comparison.

I am not religious follower but anybody that is falling for the Koran burning and Islamic world repercussion propaganda is a fool

Open you eyes people we have been play with once . . .again. . .

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
"Dear Americans, you need to burn calories, not the Quran!"

A quote I saw somewhere, haha.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

And that my friend is something to laugh about also. But sadly this the nation we have become, burning calories is not as easy as burning books.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

We are blowing up Muslims every day.

Do you think "terrorists" give a flying crap about some wacko burning books?

It's not as important with what muslims think,

It's what we think what muslims will think. Once that attitude is set, any contrived event can happen for a set purpose, and, oh look Iran is getting nukes.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Why Burning the Koran is disgusting.

Why not substitute the word 'Koran' for others, like 'Bible' or 'Torah', or 'Flag'?

Of course, since this is a political issue and not one of decency, there will be those who will tell you that there are differences. And to be sure, neither books nor flags are anything but man-made, inanimate objects. There is no loss. It is entirely symbolic.

But we are a shallow, thin-skinned society. We are not nearly as collectively smart as we were even a century ago when it comes to being worldly. We are incapable of tolerance and beyond any point of the most rudimentary understanding of anyone but ourselves. We can't even raise our children to be good citizens anymore, and often have to reply on TV show experts or the government to fill in our many gaps in common sense.

So go ahead, burn the Koran or the Bible or anything you like. I promise that no matter what anyone has told you, Allah will be just fine.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
"Dear Americans, you need to burn calories, not the Quran!"

A quote I saw somewhere, haha.

I don't agree with burning anyone's holy books. But, from what I understand from listening to what that Pastor had to say, the reason he is doing it is to infuriate the Jihadists, which he happens to believe is most of the Islamic world into showing themselves for who they are, which is violent, intolerant, and murderous. Even today they are urinating on and burning Bibles and flags, and yelling death to them all in almost every Islamic nation. So maybe the Pastor succeeded in waking people up, even if his action are wrong, which they are in my opinion. So, some people burn calories, and others, well, they burn other peoples books. Although some still take time to urinate on them first.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
If the purpose of this thread is to have some orgy of emotions full of disgust.... wow! In that case, I think two men sticking their tongues into each others mouth passionately kissing is disgusting -even though there are millions of man-kissers who look to one another for comfort, love, and advice. I don't agree with all of homosexuality (or any sexuality), am not supportive of the life style, think its disgusting, but all of which doesn't mean I am going to burn gay guys because they disgust me when kissing.

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Im not a religous person one bit.
And although i do not agree at all with Islam (or any religion), i think burning the Muslim Holy Book is disgusting.

Muslims across the world read the Koran for advice, for spiritual knowledge, and even for comfort when a loved one dies, burning it is the most ignorant person a so called man of religion could do.

Now, if this thread involves some form of reasoning- there is more than meets the disgust.

You cannot condemn the entire muslim populance for the actions of a few evil men who call themselves muslims, muslims are one of the most friendly people you can come across, a recent visit to a Mosque for a project really changed my view of Muslims, i was suprised how friendly and warm they are, and how interested they are in your beleifs and views.

Similarly so, Hadyn, let's not condemn all book burners because of the reason this pastor wants to burn a book. Let's not employ the same blanket emotional statements the pastor uses to flip the whole table to condemn this man for... well... making you disgusted.

Please do not support the burning of the Koran, it's just outright disgusting.

Now, I'm not going to send any bank notes for the purchase of Korans, just so they can be burnt; although, I'm not going to spend any bank notes to buy an extinguisher.

The moment when undesired expressions are verbotten, is the minute both you and I will have greater concerns.

If you've done your studies, then you know that people have been going to libraries and wiping their butt with a Kuran, organizing burn fests of Kurans, US flags, dummies that look like Bush, Barry, etc, etc. Some people love to hate, and you know what?

Hating is something one is free to do in the former united states (where both man-kissers and crazed book-burning pastors hang out). Withholding support for something someone finds disgusting? Free to do!

Even an orgy of emotional disgust because the world is a rough and disagreeable place at times- free to do!

But just because you neighbor doesn't like to shave his beard, and plays basket ball in a neon yellow thong; or two men mashing their tongues into each others face at the movie theater; or some christian pastor who believes he hears some alien deity telling him to burn some paper... your disgust shouldn't be more than your support for their ability to live disgusting lives freely.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join