It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Burning the Koran is disgusting.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Im not a religous person one bit.
And although i do not agree at all with Islam (or any religion), i think burning the Muslim Holy Book is disgusting.

Muslims across the world read the Koran for advice, for spiritual knowledge, and even for comfort when a loved one dies, burning it is the most ignorant person a so called man of religion could do.

You cannot condemn the entire muslim populance for the actions of a few evil men who call themselves muslims, muslims are one of the most friendly people you can come across, a recent visit to a Mosque for a project really changed my view of Muslims, i was suprised how friendly and warm they are, and how interested they are in your beleifs and views.

Please do not support the burning of the Koran, it's just outright disgusting.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Again I totally agree with you

Why burn the holy book of any religion? This will definately just anger the people more, be it muslim, christian, jew, hindu, or even satanist. I don't understand how a so called preacher can go ahead and do this, without anyone seemingly willing to stop the guy.

I saw a thread about muslims burning the american flag in response to this. I don't see them announcing they are going to burn the bible. IMO it would have been better if the "preacher" just burns the flag instead of their holy book which they highly treasure.

VVV

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
How do you feel about destruction of holy relics (relics that other religions hold sacred but extremists destroy in the name of their faith)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I agree. As an Iraq vet, I feel they have just as much freedom to be here and worship as me. This pastor is misguided and/or carries alot of hate.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Excellent post. Well said.

I'm not really religious, rather antitheist and agonstic/athiest (kinda contradicting myself there!). If there is a God, or gods, we are not intelligent enough to understand the complex nature and decision making of Him or Her. The great irony in this debate is this:

Who carries out the most terrorist attacks in the United States? Christian extremsits. Ironic, eh?

The destruction of the Holy Qu'ran is ludacrious because it weakens the voice of the moderates, who need to be vocal, and replaces them with the radical elements - who the media will no doubt descend upon.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
of course this will always make world news even though it involves 1 pator of around 50 people.

The media love this type of thing because it knows that it will open the hate flood gates and the papers will sell and the commercial networks can start asking higher prices for advertising.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Agreed. There is a lot Christians can learn from Islam and vice versa. This pastor is enciting more hate between the two faiths.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Does anyone else see the complete irony of a Christian pastor burning the Qu'ran?

An extremist trying to combat extremists by being extreme.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

Its stupid isnt it

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
It almost seems this Terry guy is trying to run neck and neck with Westboro Baptist church (for those who don't know, Westboro are the ones who picket military funerals)

I find this to be a disgusting heinous act of hatred, and my question would be, Why would the media even show up at all?? I mean seriously, why even put it out there for the world to see?? I think the media should for once, just ignore this act of violent inciting...just stay away, DON'T put it on the news, media outlets or ANYWHERE out there....If this guy is going to do this and the media show up to show the world this coverage, I feel the media are just as bad for advertising it...Take a stand news reporters, and IGNORE this...will it make it go away? NO, of course not, but it would show that not ALL Americans stand with this fanatic....

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
If they are that upset about it, we should use it as a tool. Tell them every time they commit a terrorist act, we will burn a Koran for each person injured. Make it up to them wether or not the book gets burnt.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Lets burn the bible.....yee ha !!!

These daft religions are always part cause of all the sh*t that goes on, TPTB love it....

When the truth comes out (Proof of Extraterrestrials) all religions will fall...not that it'll happen in our lifetime !!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I agree first of all that the act of burning the Holy Qu'ran is short-sighted, intolerant and unnecessary. It can never do any good to incite fury in people by insulting their faith, what ever that faith may be.

Of course if we were to burn very Qu'ran, Bible, Torah etc etc and remove all on-line copies of same maybe the world would be a better place! Religion seems to cause nothing but trouble wherever it goes.

Had the media ignored this silly person with his congregation of 30 the incident would have passed and no one would have been any the wiser, but unfortunately the media has absolutely no morals or brains and is only interested in selling paper/getting views and the results of the rubbish they peddle are not of the slightest interest to them.

All of this could have been avoided if the media had not cottoned on to it and thought it would profit them.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Please tell me your thoughts on thisUS military Burns Bibles
Now do you feel the same after reading this or are you still just as... jaded.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
Had the media ignored this silly person with his congregation of 30 the incident would have passed and no one would have been any the wiser, but unfortunately the media has absolutely no morals or brains and is only interested in selling paper/getting views and the results of the rubbish they peddle are not of the slightest interest to them.

All of this could have been avoided if the media had not cottoned on to it and thought it would profit them.

Exactly.

No one should care that some crazy pastor in some crazy church that is irrelevant to us all goes out and buys korans to burn them.

Everyone is so concerned about Islamic backlash but the media attention is the one that will draw out the conflict. Anyone can find crazy people doing offensive things, but it doesn't mean that these people are a reflection of the society they are in. It seems like the media likes picking out the nuts in order to fan flames and get people hating each other.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by brutalsun
Please tell me your thoughts on thisUS military Burns Bibles
Now do you feel the same after reading this or are you still just as... jaded.

Who cares if a soldier burns a bible, its just paper with words. It's not like the military is going around seizing bibles and burning them nor is it that the military is directly funding and supporting bible burnings.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I happen to agree here, burning a faith based person's holy book is
hate-mongering any way you look at it. What would happen if say, 400 or so Wiccans made it public that they were going to have a Bible burning day, because believers in the Bible hate Witches and Wiccans. Just say. What would happen? Christians would come out of the woodwork to stop this, and I would bet even the law dogs would get in on it with an injunction or something. Thousands of protesters would be present.
I wish this fanatical preacher could see this, what he is about to do....he is bringing down war against himself and his congregation.
Let me say something here:

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law "respecting an establishment of religion", impeding the free exercise of religion, infringing on the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

I say this, empathetically, "Freedom of Religion" means freedom of ALL religions, not just Christianity, or Islam, or any other religion. All the same rights. The right to be, to gather, and to worship any deity one wishes to in any way one wishes to. This is Constitution here, people.
And, there is even more:

Religious Freedom

ARTICLE 18
United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 1948

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

source

edit on 9/9/10 by autowrench because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
why is it such a big deal anyway? Its ok to burn an american flag, but disgusting to burn a book?
i am kind of lost with this political correct system that we are living in

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by brutalsun

It seems a bit silly to justify one wrong with the example of another wrong.
Can they both just be insensitive acts.

It's like telling someone your sad your cat died only to be told my dog died why are you so jaded.

I'd like to know a bit more about the bible burnings as this story is unknown to me.(link me?)
Were they bibles that were taken into a war zone to convert people, or taken off shelves at bookstores for the specific purpose of being burned?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It's wonderful to see everyone think that our action to not burn the koran will make the islamic people "like" us instead. That's the reasoning being used. We don't burn their book, so then they like us because we stopped a nutcase from defiling their religious book. The fact is "they need no reason to hate us". It is their very basic belief to kill all infidels.

No, we can't burn their book because it will be a recruitment tool for terrorist. No, a picture of of any US or allied trooper in any islamic land is good enough. The terrorist need no additional tools for recruits. They have literally millions of radical islamic already in place. Over 1,000,000,000 people observe islam as their religion. At a minimum, 20% are considered radical, with 35% to 40% used by government sources in defining radicals. This is 200,000,000 to 400,000,000 people. How many more people do you really think are going to turn radical, maybe another 100,000,000. The radical islamic terrorist does not need new recruitment tools. The old tool, the koran, is good enough for recruitment.

You don't see them burning bibles. I really like this argument. It is illegal to possess a bible in islamic countries that practice Sharia laws. There just aren't any Bibles to burn. It's sacrilegious for them to even touch a religious item from a different religion. This is why the American flag is popular.

At some point, people will see that the islamic religion has restarted their war of conquest and enslavement. No group hug will make these people like us. They will only like us when we are dead, enslaved, or have converted to their God forsaken religion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join