It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight Years of Iraq War Cost Less Than Stimulus Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Eight Years of Iraq War Cost Less Than Stimulus Act

News Article source

As President Obama prepares to tie a bow on U.S. combat operations
in Iraq, Congressional Budget Office numbers show that the total cost of the eight-year war was less than the stimulus bill passed by the Democratic-led Congress in 2009.

According to CBO numbers in its Budget and Economic Outlook published this month, the cost of Operation Iraqi Freedom was $709 billion for military and related activities, including training of Iraqi forces and diplomatic operations.

The projected cost of the stimulus, which passed in February 2009, and is expected to have a shelf life of two years, was
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/30/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Wow just look at this, the numbers are staggering. We all knew that the stimulus bill put a HUGE amount of debt on the table, but who would have thought that it would have been more then all the debt combined of our "8 year war"!

People this spending has to stop, its time to open our eyes and understand what is going on here.

We all know Bush spent too much, and we know Obama is continuing these policies and out of control spending.

It all needs to come to an end, we cant afford anymore of this!

Everyone wants to talk about how what Bush did and how Obama inherited all of this.....well the time for those excuses has come and gone.

We need some fiscal responsibility.....

Who would have thought that this massive amount of manpower and military might would pale in comparison to this "stimulus" bill that did ANTHING but stimulate....

Our national debt has skyrocketed and will continue to go up....

Unemployment is through the roof.....

we have a double dip recession on the horizon, and the threat of massive inflation to boot.......

When will it end? Isnt it our job to put a stop to this?

News Article source
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/30/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
What a steal! We should invade Turkmenistan next, I hear that the Pentagon has a 'buy two get one free' deal on wars~!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
November can not come soon enough.

::hits the ejection button::

So basically, Obama had his own iraq war, in two years.

but Im sure, they saved the economy from tanking ..

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

That made me laugh out loud man, good post.....

Point is, everyone is talking about the government and spending, and i hear people on the left saying how much money we spend on our war machine....

Well perhaps if they are willing to enter the fight for cutting spending on that, maybe they will now be willing to enter the fight on cutting future TARP or bailout programs.....

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
So a human life is valued at 7 million dollars
We have killed over 1 million Iraqi Civilians
So we still owe them how much?
7 million X 1 Million =7 Trillion?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Last week, it was revealed that an Environmental Protection Agency office had lowered its official estimate of life's value, from about $8.04 million to about $7.22 million.

Americans, typically turns out to be worth $5 million to $8 million -- about as much as a mega-mansion or a middle infielder

Cosmic Markdown: EPA Says Life Is Worth Less

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gmoneycricket

Wow man that is some crazy stuff, awesome.......so does that count all my organs?

Im a donor?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This was already covered somewhere here before. The total cost of the in Iraq war will be 3 trillion when you figure in the interest and on going costs until 2013 according to the CBO. This "news" story of course leaves that part out. Obamas stimulis cost will be the same as Bush bank bail out. Of course in both those cases, unlike the Iraq war, a good percent of the money will end back up in government coffers long term. And this all ignores of course the war in Afganistan. Honestly Obama could not spend money fast enough to ever catch up with the incredible amount of money the prior administration is going to cost us. Of course we would not even have needed the stimulis package if the economy has not been driven into to ground to begin with.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
What?

So we could have used that money instead to stay in Iraq for another 20 years? I'm pissed!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
So? And what about Afghanistan? Iraq plus Afghanistan are $744B and $328B to day, respectively. That's $1.078T. Plus the rapidly compounding interest, of course, as MrSpad said. The real cost is trillions, none of which we've recovered as promised from oil or coalition contributions, and much of which was "lost pallets" and found its way into rather few pockets. At least the stimulus money has a snowball's chance in hell of being spread around more. Aren't we better off spending it on real priorities like rebuilding our country rather than rebuilding the two we tore down?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Let us not forget that Obama as a Senator voted for the bank bailout along with his '08 opponent. I do think it would have been a closer election had McCain voted against TARP, that is what pushed me into voting Libertarian in '08.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Bullship!--you have to be brain dead to believe this--its 10 times that ammount in dollars if they are saying this. After all they always lie about everything. So now you believe them???? Its only one source anyway.
The stimulus package didnt kill almost a million people , so it was a deal compared to the war money. Did i mention depleated unurainum??

Again bullship!!!!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Fox "news" is seriously getting downright despicable in their reporting these days. Could their obvious bias show any more? It's no wonder they've been labeled FOXPAC - openly raising money for GOP candidates. Hardly "fair and balanced".

The problem with this article is its source (americanthinker.com), which also appears to have a strong anti-Obama bias, especially since it seems to forget the budget mess left by Bush, grossly underestimates the cost of the Iraq war (3 trillion), and neglects to implicate Bush for the creation of the TARP program, and it's initial 700 Billion bailout to Wall Street banks. It also fails to address the fact that much of the second-round bailout funds to smaller banks and to automakers has already been paid back.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
we are so f***d

I see the crap the governments feed us about budgets, and spending, and all the while they have huge expense accounts, and nice salaries, and new offices every couple years at enormous cost to the taxpayer.

This corruption of humans is at every level. more so now, but it has always been there.

I have no idea how to fix this problem. voting new idiots in power has not worked (except in some cases obviously at local levels of gov)

Its just sad that the banks got in one shot more than all those years of expensive high technology war (one sided)

sad,

other than a scenario like at the end of V for vendetta, I see no end to the restrictions of freedoms and more taxes.

what else CAN we do?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I know if you Died reading my comment on ATS your Family should be able to settle for 7 Million.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket

I know if you Died reading my comment on ATS your Family should be able to settle for 7 Million.

so, I can collect, ahem, I mean my very sad family, can collect this 7 million from who exactly?

How about we state that i am going to die as soon as I press send, so you might as well send me a cheque right now..

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Le Colonel

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket

so, I can collect, ahem, I mean my very sad family, can collect this 7 million from who exactly?

How about we state that i am going to die as soon as I press send, so you might as well send me a cheque right now..

It does not work that way I was involved with a shooting incident.
Dialed 911 so I did not have to shoot the guy shooting at us.
The sheriffs came shot him.
County gave his family 2 Million.
Guess he was worth less because he was Hispanic and near the border.
So ATS would be responsible for the post on their site.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
November can not come soon enough.

::hits the ejection button::

Heh, yeah, like that'll do any good... it makes no differance who is in office or what party they belong to they will continue to drain us dry just so they can get their hookers, brazilian models, and airport bathroom hookups.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

I laughed out loud with this.

For all the others that say the war cost less that is a farce. There are huge contracts, huge services, huge intelligence, Homeland security, border tightening, airport security, etc. that has come from this war on terror. Remember we aren't at war with a country we are at war with a concept. This is costing us more money than ten TARPS put together. Although it is allocated differently and not lumped into the operational costs of the war. To say the war over eight years has cost less than a 800 billion dollar Stimulus Act is forgetting that trillions have been spent on upgrading police equipment, creating the department of homeland security, and making airport security publicly funded.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join