It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Updating my drivers and need a question answered.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I re-installed my XP OS finally installed SP3 and was having issues with the computer not recognizing some of my usb's and other things.

Went out on the web and purchased a driver detector that was available.

It told me all my drivers that was out of date and it downloaded the latest an greatest which I had no problem getting installed except for.... the PCI for the usb's!

The folder has two .ini files and a "read me " text file and two security files.

The text file has this for each OS that it is for,Vista XP 64 and such.

This is a sample of what the code looks like.

%BCM430G_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XG, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&REV_03 %BCM430M_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XM, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4324&REV_03 %BCM430G_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XG, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4318 %BCM430M_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XM, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4319 %BCM1390M_DeviceDesc% = BCM1390M, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311 %BCM1490M_DeviceDesc% = BCM1490M, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4312 %BCM1500M_DeviceDesc% = BCM1500M, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328 %BCM1395M_DeviceDesc% = BCM1395M, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315

I did not paste it all just a third.

This is what the zip file have as a label, 106062_BR5.

What do I do to get this file to work and update my computer?

Do I put the whole folder some place or drag and drop the .ini folder somewhere in my system files?

Don't want to screw up my computer.

Someone have knowledge of this?

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

look for an inf file for your specific OS, right click on it and select install. then go to the device manager (right click on my computer select properties select the hardware tab then click on the device manager button). check the menus on top and look for one that lets you scan for hardware changes. do this and restart.

good luck.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
First, download a torrent down-loader, like bittorrent. Then go here and click the link that says: "Download this torrent," not the one that says "Download." Burn the iso to a CD, burn it as an image file, and not just a file, it is an ISO Image. Then just insert the CD and do a search for drivers, and point it to the CD. I have this, and it has never failed to find the correct driver for any hardware I have ever seen.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Did you try downloading the driver package directly from the manufacturer of your mobo / comp?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
First, download a torrent down-loader, like bittorrent. Then go here and click the link that says: "Download this torrent," not the one that says "Download." Burn the iso to a CD, burn it as an image file, and not just a file, it is an ISO Image. Then just insert the CD and do a search for drivers, and point it to the CD. I have this, and it has never failed to find the correct driver for any hardware I have ever seen.

What software were you suggesting. An offline driver detector sounds interesting.....

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The CD disk I have, downloaded from the suggested site, has 100,000 Windows drivers. I repair computers for a living, and this CD has yet to fail to find the correct hardware driver for any computer I work on, bar none. Windows will install the "Microsoft" designed drivers, but they do not always work, and you all with printer problems well know. These are manufacturer's drivers, not M$ drivers. Those driver finders will always find something wrong, just like those online virus scans. Anything to get your money.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Sounds helpful but the link 404'd

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by staple

Took down, no doubt. Here ya go.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

this comment i found on your link might be helpful...

Ok heres what i found. First off the iso isnt a typical iso, its double rared. So if you want Windows device manager to search it you have to unpack the full iso then unpack each and every other rar. Each rar unpacked is 1.4 gig now times that times 56 and youll see the proplem. Im not possitive but all the files inside the iso are identical. After seting up a new folder to unpack to, every other folder had the same contents. I used image burn and burnt the first rar to disk and it worked fine. If i missed something as well please let me know.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
No no no! Stop thinking "Windows." Download the ISO IMAGE. Burn this as an IMAGE to a CD-R-RW, not as a "file," but as an "image file." True the image is a compressed file, but when it is burned as such, it un-compresses as you burn it.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Alternatively, since your are using WinXP, you can just install Windows XP Virtual Control Panel which lets you simply save the ISO, then mount it as if it were a CD in a drive.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
thanks, but no thanks
.. i load iso's as virtual drives through poweriso.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Understood. Same here. Just trying to offer the most simplistic thing.

But hey now I'm curious. Oneolddude, did you ever get your drivers sorted properly?

new topics

top topics

join