It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC Video- Oil Gusher is "UN-STOPPABLE!"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It's starting to look like the Nuke option is quickly becoming the only "viable" solution. The BOP & surrounding formations have eroded to the point of immanent collapse according to these sources...what now?

[edit on 26-6-2010 by discl0sur3]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Not only a nuke, but the biggest hydrogen bomb they have.

The irony of the the fact that usa thought that they would not have to use h bombs.

You need the largest h bomb you have.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

According to the video, a fusion reaction would take place that would melt the surrounding rock and literally turn it to glass, gonna take a lot more than a few sticks of dynamite.

My greatest concern with this whole process is the amount of combustible gasses that are present down there. Could this not trigger an explosion of epic proportions?

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 26-6-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by discl0sur3

Originally posted by andy1033

The irony of the the fact that usa thought that they would not have to use h bombs.

According to the video, a fusion reaction would take place that would melt the surrounding rock and literally turn it to glass, gonna take a lot more than a few sticks of dynamite.

My greatest concern with this whole process is the amount of combustible gasses that are present down there. Could this not trigger an explosion of epic proportions?

Great, nukes are a huge fear of mine and I am a tad too close to the Gulf than I would like to be if they were to do something like that. I worry about what that would do with all the methane levels they say are really high. Would it cause an explosion? I am not familiar with all the scientific terms of all this stuff. If they nuke it, then will it stop the leak? Are they 100% positive it will? What effect would it have on the surrounding areas? What about an H bomb? What happens with that? Sorry for the questions but I have been reading this stuff and I am a little confused on all of it. It's information overload!

[edit on 6/26/2010 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

you would turn the condenced methane on the bottom the ocean into a flamable gas and instantly set it off. the explosive affect would be much greater than the bomb itself. this would cause a tidal wave of unknown height and scale, perhaps hundreds of feet high, washing inland for hundreds of miles. thankfully, actual scientific thinking will prevail.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

"Great, nukes are a huge fear of mine and I am a tad too close to the Gulf that I would like if they were to do that. I worry about what that would do with all the methane levels they say are really high. I am not familiar with all the scientific terms of all this stuff. If they nuke it, then it will stop the leak? Are they 100% positive it will? What effect would it have on the surrounding areas? What about an H bomb? What happens with that? Sorry for the questions but I have been reading this stuff and I am a little confused on all of it. It's information overload!"

I think the word "Nuke" strikes fear into the heart of every individual affected by this catastrophe. The sad fact is no-one has a clue as to what will actually take place, not even the experts as this procedure has NEVER been tried before, well...not at this depth anyway.

I'm certainly no expert in this field so I cannot advise as to whether an H-Bomb would do the trick or not, although I would imagine the overall effect would be similar.

The bottom line is...not a single person on this planet knows 100% for sure what the final outcome will be.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by discl0sur3]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Risk assessment. What are the possible consequences of setting of a nuke, vs not. We, the people, haven't a clue. The experts have slightly better knowledge.

It seems we're damned if we don't and perhaps damned if we do?

Gotta love the options.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by discl0sur3
It's starting to look like the Nuke option is quickly becoming the only "viable" solution.

Well, that option wasn't even mentioned in the video, so, quit fear mongering about it!

What now? The expert gave some information as to what could be done next, and also, perhaps I missed it, but where exactly in the video did they also say that the gusher is un-stoppable? They didn't.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

I have never wanted to move so far away from Florida before in my life! I spoke to two customers at work yesterday who are from The Gulf Shores. They came to this area (Cocoa Beach) to get away from the smell. They said it is really bad and that people have no idea what is really going on. The woman was starting to have respiratory problems so they decided to get away from there. She said the smell is horrible and makes your stomach turn. The guy was a boat captain who is now without a job. He took supplies out to various rigs out there in the Gulf. They both said that the oil is everywhere in the water and animals are washing up but they are keeping people out of there. She said the place is like a ghost town. She works at a restaurant and she said there is nobody in there. The only thing I can see this doing for the east coast is bring business here. It seems a lot of people are coming to the east coast of FL to get away from what is going on on the west coast.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
holy smoke a hydrogen bomb

WRONG

Just a small tactical nuke with a hole drilled down 14-16000ft and the idea being pinch off the well. You certainly can't drop a nuke right on top of the well! It would crater it fracture the formation and even more oil would come out!

and a little tiny nuke isn't going to harm anyone, since it's set off so deep within the earth hardly any radiation will be detected. BTW it's a much better choice versus Odrama sitting around yelling at BP when all they can do is RW's.

Bush Jr would have probably nuked it, and even though he wasn't the smartest he was better for America. Odrama is pathetic imho.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Please help me understand the thinking behind 'nuking' the well. Exploding the source implies to me that the oil and what ever else is down there + radio activity would be EVERY WHERE. I don't understand how a bomb fixes this. Someone please explain how this could POSSIBLY be an option.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Okay,were dealing with an artery here, and a few more that are not know based upon the drilling efforts, those will fail as well.. however to think this will resolve this is beyond a question of a bigger bad mistake that was made in the first place.

To think this will resolve this.. o-my think again...

When do we ask ourselfs, when do we qestion the not that we can't, but should we.

That question should of been put forth before it was decide to drill here!
Profit was the answer!

No questions ask so they say...

Look at those that Cashed out weeks in adavance if this outcome..
Tony was on top... I was not in the loop... yea many were not as well!
A44Xholes.

A bigger solution.. I only know of one.
A Devine intervention!
Meantime get the hell out of the Gulf region..
Nuff said???

Maybe not....

There will be no wiggle room if you wait to long.

Be Wise!
Be Well!

Jesse

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

While this method may have worked for the Soviets, the circumstances in the Gulf of Mexico are much different. As LiveScience's Jeremy Hsu points out: "The Russians were using nukes to extinguish gas well fires in natural gas fields, not sealing oil wells gushing liquid, so there are big differences, and this method has never been tested in such conditions."

Link

One of the things that concerns me about the nuclear option is how could we get a nuke even close to the top of the sea bed where the leak is when the pressure there is 2,300 psi. Even if we get one there, it still has to go in the whole to be effective, adding to the psi. I don't know if that is possible and I doubt that anyone else does either.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
My other post just now was not rhetorical. I honestly do not grasp the thinking behing the bombing notion. It makes no sense to me what so ever. On the contrary - it sounds like it would trigger our potential demise. Don't get it. Response please?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
i hate sounding like a no0b.. but whats the scale/size of what im seeing in that video. i mean i know its pretty big,what can you compare it to size wise?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
They bury the nuke underground so the explosion does not touch the air and does not contaminate the water.

Though it still might contaminate the water, that is why I am in favor of the Hydrogen Bomb.

Just in case radiation leaks through the ground and into the ocean.

Nukes have been used before to close off broken natural gas lines.

edited to add: a youtube video on a nuke being used to close a gas line.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 26-6-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboxoftrix

While this method may have worked for the Soviets, the circumstances in the Gulf of Mexico are much different. As LiveScience's Jeremy Hsu points out: "The Russians were using nukes to extinguish gas well fires in natural gas fields, not sealing oil wells gushing liquid, so there are big differences, and this method has never been tested in such conditions."

Link

One of the things that concerns me about the nuclear option is how could we get a nuke even close to the top of the sea bed where the leak is when the pressure there is 2,300 psi. Even if we get one there, it still has to go in the whole to be effective, adding to the psi. I don't know if that is possible and I doubt that anyone else does either.

OK odrama would be a fool not to have ordered national labs and/or the military not to design a special weapons package just for this purpose. With the technology that exist today it would be rather easy to design and lower a nuke right into a drilled well that far down.

Picture if you will drill a hole into a granite rock drill a hole next to it and insert a stick of dynamite into it, the explosive force would pinch off the other hole. Obviously you need serious math to get this correct. Heck they could even test it on land. The world will understand America needed to test beforehand......sigh I can't keep explaining how this works anymore about the 20th time now

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

So is the theory that the ensuing rubble would block stuff up? I'd of thought it would blow it all wide open...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If the government announces they are going to 'nuke' the well, I can almost guarantee that you will see the largest, most chaotic voluntary mass evacuation in human history. It doesn't matter how much science you back it up with, people will panic, and thousands will die in the ensuing chaos.

That reason alone is enough to completely rule out the 'nuke' option.

GBD

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

You would think with all the incredibly brilliant people in the world someone could come up with a solution that doesn't involve nukes.

Everyone should read the book, The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. There has to be some other way.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join