It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early 1900s in Colour

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+71 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I came across these and thought I'd share

citynoise.org...

In the early part of the 20th century French-Jewish capitalist Albert Kahn set about to collect a photographic record of the world, the images were held in an 'Archive of the Planet'. Before the 1929 stock market crash he was able to amass a collection of 180,000 metres of b/w film and more than 72,000 autochrome plates, the first industrial process for true colour photography

The one picture of the Sphinx caught my eye, Could anyone do me a favor and upload the picture from the website. also a recent picture of the sphinx.

to me it looks as if they rebuilt the sphinx's legs but i was unaware of this, what does everyone else think
You can also see a stack of bricks across the side of the Sphinx lmao

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Lovely.

They are phenomenal pictures, and it's great that someone decided to share them with the world! I wonder how many other marvels like this remain locked away.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Thanks so much for this cool thread!
Awesome photo's I loved 'em!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
[im][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8897670c9fcd.jpg[/atsimg][/im]
[im][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b52118d142ce.jpg[/atsimg][/im]

Very cool find. veery cool.

The legs look like they were uncovered at a later time, but I'm not to knowledgable of Egyptian antiquity.

[edit on 6/6/2010 by hhcore]

[edit on 6/6/2010 by hhcore]From what I've found, with just a quick search, that the legs seemed to have been uncovered, and later refurbished - I think they were always there, and pics I've seen through google show some with the legs exposed, but really deteriorated.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
It does indeed look like the "legs" have been excavated out of the sands.

Imagine if we had never bothered to uncover the Sphinx, and the surrounding monuments. They might well be totally covered with sand by now. How many other treasures are buried underneath the sand I wonder...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by badfish86

Absolutely mesmerising photographs.

A big thank you for bringing them to our attention. I would love to see more .

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Awesome post

It looks as though the legs were re-built. and if they were re-built, then i wonder if they used any ancient txts etc to get it right, if not, then perhaps the sphinx wasnt a sphinx after all.

star and flag

peace and love!!

[edit on 6-6-2010 by apexvin]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing!

I gotta say, though, the sphinx picture...bothered isn't the right word..and I know that they "refurbished" it and whatnot but it doesn't seem that those HUGE paws were there at all! the sand line seems to level to me. Also they look super smooth.

Not trying to derail, but it bugged me a bit.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

Thanks for the pictures. I wounder how scientist always describe that it's a difficult feet to build the pyramids. But here the legs are rebuilt.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Something one of the comments pointed out, a picture from Morocco has a boy in what looks like a red fleece and shorts:

(if someone could tell me how to show the image directly or do it for me that'd be great, thanks!)

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkPassenger

Here you go!

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Don't these guys seem awfully "happy" for being outside, amongst guys and in the African heat?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a6ce735d40a.jpg[/atsimg]

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Many of the tribal people in Africa are social. You should watch some of the programs discovery channel has on Tribes in Africa.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Typical guys in the field. "Hey, there's a cameraman, let's f**k with him!"

I remember seeing the WW1 pics posted here once before. They are all great pictures!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I think they were really excited to have their pics taken, although they tried to hide their excitement through serious faces.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkPassenger
Something one of the comments pointed out, a picture from Morocco has a boy in what looks like a red fleece and shorts:

(if someone could tell me how to show the image directly or do it for me that'd be great, thanks!)

Save image as .....

Save to your documents/pictures

so now you have the image on your p.c.

Next step.

You must upload the image onto ATS

Click on members tools ..... (up there between `ats firehose` and the `search` button. )

Click on .......
My pictures
Upload photo
Choose file (find the image on your p.c)
Add photo (find photo in you album in you ATS media a/c)
Click on the photo

You should see your photo .
Now the embed code will be needed . So you copy and paste that, remembering to omit the [atsimg]on either end of the code.

Copy this into the box provided with the icon with the blue computer screen and artist pallet,found along the toolbar - where you post comments / embed utube videos etc.

Its a lot easier to do it than write it .......

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
My first ATS double post .

[edit on 6-6-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

Thank you very much for posting the pictures, I was unaware and i felt it looked pretty neat because if you try and think about the size, it doesn't seem like anymore area was uncovered but you never know i just thought it was interesting. and a good add to the thread.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

HAHA that's good, if your referring to my quadruple post my computer was crashing and for some reason it posted over and over

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The two pictures that caught my attention were the Iraq and Iran pictures. Women(or girls in the iran pic) and not a burqa in sight.

Iran
citynoise.org...

Iraq
citynoise.org...

[edit on 6-6-2010 by LordBaskettIV]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join