It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early 1900s in Colour

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore
[im][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8897670c9fcd.jpg[/atsimg][/im]
[im][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b52118d142ce.jpg[/atsimg][/im]

Very cool find. veery cool.

The legs look like they were uncovered at a later time, but I'm not to knowledgable of Egyptian antiquity.

[edit on 6/6/2010 by hhcore]

[edit on 6/6/2010 by hhcore]From what I've found, with just a quick search, that the legs seemed to have been uncovered, and later refurbished - I think they were always there, and pics I've seen through google show some with the legs exposed, but really deteriorated.

[edit on 6/6/2010 by hhcore]

Don't they say that something really ancient is hidden under one of the paws? If this is true... doesn't it make sense to "build" a paw over such as a mean to hide what they found?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
amazing photos!
the look of the lens and the depth of field are timeless!
awesome for sharing!

the box with the woman set to starve was pretty intense.
color brings so much life to photos that could have easily been B&W. totally new way to look at them.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Fantastic photos,some of the pictures just make you stare & think about what times were like back then,the sphinx picture is facinating..so much we don't know about that monument.
they show how simple life seemed back then compared to todays rough & tumble world.
i'll have another look again later,awesome thread

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by badfish86

Cool thread, had no idea that color photography was around so early. As far as the Sphinx is concerned, if you count the ridge lines on the body you can see the legs were not unearthed at that time. Still buried in the sand.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Very good find!

For those who like photography and urbanism, the site below has very nice and interesting photos of the brazillian city of Curitiba, in southern Brazil. Quite different from the preconceived idea of Brazil.

www.curitibacityphotos.blogger.com.br...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by freighttrain

Or if the paws are hands placed on his legs as he's sitting on a thrown.
as in this picture. The back end would have been under so much pressure from the sand and wind storms that it is possible the sand harden into a stone like structure.

irrationalgeographic.files.wordpress.com...

When uncovering the beast, it would have been easy to sculpt it to look like a lion to hide the truth.

Why is it the great beast that is the sphinx has eroded more then the pyramids? when the pyramids are bigger and would have been more prone to erosion due to all the sand storms. the side of the pyramids do not have as much erosion compared to the sphinx. and how did the pyramids erode evenly?

I find it weird for you would think it would be opposite the top would have eroded more then the bottom for it would have had more exposure to sand, and the erosion would not be even.

I'll add I'm sure we all know why the tops of the pyramids have very little erosion for they were once capped in gold, the caps were stolen and replaced with rock.

back to the sphinx if it takes 50 years to cover in sand and some state the sphinx is 10,000 years old. it would have been covered very quickly and left under the sand untouched by wind and sand storms.

you say water eroded the pyramids and sphinx. well I'm sure it rains enough to soak threw the ground i'm guessing some few hundred feet in the heat of the desert with not dirt but the driest sand known to man. does any of this make sense. when you break it down, you can tell something is being hidden on the sole fact that nothing around the sphinx and and pyramids makes any sense what so ever.

I will also add, Camels were recorded in hylographs (excuse the spelling) and prove they were around when the pyramids where built. did you know 1 camel has the strength of 10 horses, so 10 camels = 100 horses, 100 camels is the same as 1000 horses. camels hold vast amounts of water and can go days without drinking do you not think humans used these great animals to succeed in this great thing called life.

please this is just some food for thought

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Just want to throw out the Paris shot of the UFO!!!! AHHH!!!! Probably just an anomaly from the photo, but it looks like a ufo. It's to the right of the Eiffel Tower. UFOz?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Beautiful pictures. Thanks for the post.

Some things that struck me

First a funny one, probably dirt. On the picture of the eiffeltower you can see a comet on the left and saturn on the right.
citynoise.org...

How many toes does this women have on her feet ?
citynoise.org...

First ghostpicture ever ???!!
I see 2 boys (or 3) in the foreground and 2 parents in the doors.
But at the left you can see a figure that is transparent perhaps a third child running to his brothers to catch the moment, making him transparent ? Or a diseased child that shows as a ghostly image ?
citynoise.org...

2 Interesting looking characters. One of them looks out of proportion.
The tapestry or mural of the freemason type floor is amazing. Where is this and who are these people ?
citynoise.org...

Is this guy living in a tree ?!?? rofl
citynoise.org...

Just a few comments

[edit on 7-6-2010 by no special characters]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Actually they are below, unless Cambodia looked like Bulgaria and some white cowhands in Cambodia with model T Fords and tall buildings. Just sayin...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

haha I love the comedy I'm sure we can all appreciate your eye for detail as well as everyone else's. everyone's insight has made this thread what it's become. I can enjoy these for what they are and still ROFL about them.
The anomalies within these pictures have made me laugh so hard for it is really quite priceless, I never studied the pictures so you and everyone else are giving me that much more enjoyment towards the pictures

If someone's bored for I am not good with graphics. if they would like could take it upon them selfs to make up a little "priceless add" for these pictures
I feel that would be pure gold.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
Beautiful pictures. Thanks for the post.

Some things that struck me

First a funny one, probably dirt. On the picture of the eiffeltower you can see a comet on the left and saturn on the right.
citynoise.org...

How many toes does this women have on her feet ?
citynoise.org...

First ghostpicture ever ???!!
I see 2 boys (or 3) in the foreground and 2 parents in the doors.
But at the left you can see a figure that is transparent perhaps a third child running to his brothers to catch the moment, making him transparent ? Or a diseased child that shows as a ghostly image ?
citynoise.org...

2 Interesting looking characters. One of them looks out of proportion.
The tapestry or mural of the freemason type floor is amazing. Where is this and who are these people ?
citynoise.org...

Is this guy living in a tree ?!?? rofl
citynoise.org...

Just a few comments

[edit on 7-6-2010 by no special characters]

I believe that the one with the tapestry is Turkey. If you look on the left side of the photo is spells Turkey in what I would guess as another's language's spelling of that country. Maybe it is in Istanbul or Constantinople. Not sure which came first.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

hi yes i wondered about the paws of the sphinx, as i looked at the photo from 1900 ish..

found a newer photo at this site..

www.dwgt.net...

it has feet/paws..

i thought thae just DUG them up out of the sand covering them,, but it looks weird to me..

ma bey thay were reconstructed,,????

great photos anyway

S&F
4u!!

ty

[edit on 7/6/10 by darrman]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
very weird foto gallery...every pic seens to have an anomaly in it...
as if the editer of it would say something with this serie.......

the sfinxs ...is it an opening in front of it that black dot.. they must have closed it now..

[edit on 7-6-2010 by ressiv]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Hey, I looked at the Sphinx photo and it looks like a man in black clothing. Just save it, then zoom if you cannot see. It either a man or a cool man shaped entrance. YES! That would be so cool. But I am sure it is just a man.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
mr OP sir,
check this out:
www.prokudin-gorsky.ru...

ps en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I was checking out some photos from a link someone posted earlier in the thread and i think i found an Lee Harvey Oswald's dad

www.shorpy.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by maoklein

wow that's pure gold, thank you very much for the links

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Very nice photos!!

Thanks for posting!!

Lovely to see the "old" world in colour!!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Vilkata

Yes, thank you for bringing him up!
Prokhudin-Gorsky is one of my favorites. I have a reproduction of this and thisphoto above my writing desk.

Love Kahn's too, BTW.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Comfyinsidethebox
There is a ghost in the picture of Ireland. The one with the three boys and the mom. There is two houses and one has grass growing on top. To the left looks like a transparent little boy. Could be a mess up but i prefer the paranormal excuse. Could someone please post that picture as i don't know how to do that.

The child moved, that's all. The exposure process took a long time in those days, which is why so many people look so stiff in posed portraits and such. They had to be very still until the exposure was complete.
If they weren't the result was as seen on this photo.

Sorry, no ghost.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join