It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Message To All Oil Spill Gloomers---RELAX!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Your optimism is disturbing. Not because you feel this is nothing, but because your lack of concern is deeply troubling. You are not an expert and you don't know how this will play out. So, my advice to you is keep quiet. And don't give me any BS about freedom of speech and your right to voice your opinion. If you want to downplay this in your mind then fine, but I will speak for the majority and say this will become the worst environmental disaster ever.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

Drama?

Im not the one comparing an Oil Spill to an Oil Leak.

Do you even know the difference?? *sigh*
OKAY...a spill would be if a tanker ran aground (Exxon Valdez) and ruptured its tanks "spilling" its oil.

A leak is when an oil well explodes (Deepwater Horizon) and the well is "leaking" from ruptures in the pipe.

We clear now?

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

You are not an expert and you don't know how this will play out.
Are you sure?

+4 more 
posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
What do we know of this situation?

A rig sunk - why - not known (only speculated)
The well to which it was attached is now fully open to the water
several fragments of pipe are still leaking

Started out as 5,000 barrels a day... now 50000? 100000? 150000? No one will say

Navy submersibles filmed the oil spewing from the remains.... NOT released to public - why? who knows?

They tried to release detergent agents into the oil-flow at depth.... mid-water currents were then 'remembered' and the practice stopped lest the area affected be increased by an order of magnitude

They tried to create a funnel for the oil .... no go

They are trying to create another funnel for 'some' of the oil ....

No attempt has been made to PLUG the well.... BUT... they are going to try and plug the pipe near the malfunctioning valve....

Most of this keystone-coppery is due to the fact that the key participants are still trying to get the oil out for profit.

I will relax when this hole is plugged. I won't interfere with your 'relaxing.'

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Yep, it doesn't deserve my interest.

Peace.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Wow. You just figured that out?
I tried telling you that on the first page.

THIS IS NOT AN OIL SPILL... THIS IS AN OIL LEAK....

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Your reading comprehension is horrible.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I hope in your next life your a seabird or a fish.

People with such total disregard to life in general make me sick.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The media is not hyping this nearly as much as they should or could be, so for once, they are not to blame for the doom and gloom. The doom and gloom are REAL!

The Tar Balls come from natural seepages, and no one is concerned about those.

The 140 million gallon spill will be vastly undersized if this spill continues for another 90 days, and right now there is nothing on the horizon capable of stopping it within 2 years! The amount leaking increases daily due to the erosion effect of the high pressue oil and sand mixture.

This is also an "undersea" leak, complicated by the fact that this "light crude" mixes easily with water. The slick we are seeing on the surface is a small amount of the actual oil contamination.

As far as things it will impact:
1. Yes the sunlight will break down the molecules, but the thin oil slick will hold the suns heat and increase the temperature of the sea water. The thin oil slick will reach the North Atlantic Current anyday and impact the entire Atlantic Ocean just in time for Hurricane Season.

2. Yes, natural sea life such as Oysters will break down these molecules, but at the same time they will be dispersed through the food chain, there will be bans on Oysters, and probably on Commercial fishing. This will impact already fragile economies in Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisianna.

3. The Oil Slicks will more than likely crush the tourism industry for the summer months of this year, and possibly multiple years. Florida already had a several Billion dollar budget shortfall. Poor Sales Tax Revenues will aggravate the situation and cause severe economical concerns!

4. The Real Estate market in Florida was already fragile and there are literally Billions of Dollars of Real Estate sitting vacant and serving as a source of crime, decay, and toxic debt. The drop off in tourism, fishing, and the associated industries will more than likely destroy the already fragile housing market!

5. The banking industry is already fragile, especially in Florida. A drop off in the housing market, and increase in unemployment, and a increase in defaults due to failed business ventures impacted by fishing and tourism means a crash in the banking industry as well.

I could probably go all day with more and more ways the current doom and gloom projections don't begin to describe the severity of this situation, but what would be the point? If the leak is not stopped within 90 days, and if the clean-up is not completed by mid to late summer, the effects will be absolutely devastating to the Gulf Coast, and probably the entire nation, and quite possibly the entire world!

[edit on 11-5-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tOhNeE
No one pay attention to the OP.
yes by all means don'tlisten to facts and level headed reasoning. Work yourselves all up and run to the beach to clean up all the oil. (good luck finding any)

A little something about the fishermen that have been "impacted" fishing/shrimping has not been good in the southern states for years due to overfishing and imported seafood from China and other places that don't regulate thir industries and they just dump product in the US at rock bottom pricing (blame our government for not fixing this)

This oil leak is just what the fishermen have been waiting for to make some money by suing someone else. The MSM and you gloomers are helping them out. The problem is that the court is going to ask for 1099's when the time comes to cure. Since most of them sell most their fish for cash and skip paying taxes they only report a portion of what they actually make so they will be up a creek to prove actual "losses".

just sayin...

DO SOME RESEARCH AND STOP THE DRAMA.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering

Originally posted by Common Good

Drama?

Im not the one comparing an Oil Spill to an Oil Leak.

Do you even know the difference?? *sigh*
OKAY...a spill would be if a tanker ran aground (Exxon Valdez) and ruptured its tanks "spilling" its oil.

A leak is when an oil well explodes (Deepwater Horizon) and the well is "leaking" from ruptures in the pipe.

We clear now?

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

Let me guess, you work for BP? You've been on hear since May 3rd spewing disinfo about the spill.

What's your agenda?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I guess you missed my post in the other thread, or perhaps you did ignore it because it wasn't a close-up of a sandy beach?
www.cbc.ca...
But, I'm sure you'll say that is somehow Australia too.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

yes we could all go all day speculating the doom and gloom for all its worth but the facts are this:
It has happened before with more oil leaked and and in less favorable circumstances.
Did the world end?
No.
will the world keep turning after this is over? yes.

will we even remember the doom and gloom scenarios in ten years?

I'm guessing no.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Living 4 hours from Gulf Shores let me give some insight.

Fishermens jobs destroyed. Check

No containment in sight. Check

Gonna hit land and be known as the worst leak ever. Check

Hurricane season 2 months away. Check

Hurricane could throw this all over the inland. Check

If not contained soon, the winds could take it into the gulf stream. Check

I see no reason whatsoever to relax.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by PplVSNWO

Chandeleur island is sandy I don't know where that picture comes from but not Chandeleur island.

link   

Did the world end?
No.

Dear lord, a straw man this huge could soak up the oil all by itself.

So the only options are end of times and all's hunky dory?

Yikes!

link   
ok i gave an answer in other oil tread that could be usefull here too:

Originally posted by Dumbass

suddenly I realized it...

OMG

Did they just pull the plugg from hollow earth and are we going to lose all our oceans and do they use the oil to cover up?

anyway I think Santa Claus can bring in the solution...

Santa's Solution

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

wow your eyesight is amazing if you can see the shores from 4 hrs away.
how about jumping in a boat and surveying the shores?
too much trouble? you'd rather spew off drama on ATS?
ok whatever makes you feel good.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Why is it so hard for you to admit that you are wrong?

Seriously?

You really sound like a dis-info agent.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

reply to post by getreadyalready

yes we could all go all day speculating the doom and gloom for all its worth but the facts are this:
It has happened before with more oil leaked and and in less favorable circumstances.
Did the world end?
No.

will we even remember the doom and gloom scenarios in ten years?

I'm guessing no.

Its been 20 years in Valdez, AK. It is still not cleaned up, it is not only remembered but despised. The people there are still impacted and impoverished, except for the ones that have moved away or died due to health complications! That was a "spill" not a leak, it was smaller in size, and it was contained fairly quickly. Imagine how much worse this one is?

The "world" will be fine, but the people that live, work, or survive from the sea may not be so lucky. Since I am one of those people, because I live on the Florida coastline, then I do not share your optimism. Maybe it is my scientific understanding of the situation from my background in Chemistry and Engineering, or maybe it is because of my position in State Government, or maybe it is because I was in Panama City this weekend and I talked with the people affected, and I saw the people packing up to move North and look for work, or maybe it was the pregnant waitress that was crying because she expected to lose her job sometime in the next couple of weeks?

Maybe, I am not optimistic, because my wife (not a CS) decided we better take the kids to the beach now, because we won't be able to the rest of this year, and possibly more?

Maybe I am not optimistic, because as a State Employee, I haven't had a raise in 6 years, we lost several hundred positions this year, we are now having to contribute more money to health insurance and retirement, and the outlook for next year is even worse?

Maybe I am not optimistic because my brother is "short-selling" his home and moving to Missouri, because his Master's Degree in Economics is not getting him a job in Florida?

Maybe I am not optimistic, because I love Oysters, and I don't wanna see Apalachicola Bay closed for the next year or two? Or maybe it is because I love Manatees and I don't wanna see them inhaling Oil? Maybe it is the Monarch Butterfly on its way to the Yucatan Peninsula that will likely be endangered or even extinct after traversing the oil slicked marshlands this year?

I dunno, maybe you should come down here and spend the next 6 months and see how you feel about the situation?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I am not sure i can use this card......

but since your short time with ATS you seem to be all about the OIL?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join