It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistani Taliban claim credit for failed NYC Times Square car bombing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I searched and didn't find this posted yet,

Pakistani Taliban claim credit for failed NYC Times Square car bombing

A top Pakistani Taliban commander took credit for yesterday's failed car bomb attack in New York City.

Qari Hussain Mehsud, the top bomb maker for the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan, said he takes "fully responsibility for the recent attack in the USA." Qari Hussain made the claim on an audiotape accompanied by images that was released on a YouTube website that calls itself the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel.

The tape has yet to be verified, but US intelligence officials contacted by The Long War Journal believe it is legitimate. The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel on YouTube was created on April 30. Officials believe it was created to announce the Times Square attack, and Qari Hussain’s statement was pre-recorded.
qari-hussain.JPG

Qari Hussain Mehsud. Image is from a Pakistani Army wanted poster.

"This attack is a revenge for the great & valuable martyred leaders of mujahideen," Qari Hussain said. He listed Baitullah Mehsud, the former leader of the Pakistani Taliban who was killed in a Predator strike in August 2009, and Abu Omar al Baghdadi, the former leader of al Qaeda Islamic State of Iraq who was killed by Iraqi forces in mid-April. And although he was not mentioned, an image of Abu Ayyub al Masri, the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, was also displayed in the images accompanying the audiotape.

Qari Hussain also said the failed attack was "revenge for the Global American interference & terrorism in Muslim countries, especially in Pakistan for Lal Masjid operation," a reference to the July 2008 Pakistani military assault on Islamists holed up in the Red Mosque in Islamabad, as well as Predator strikes in Pakistan's tribal areas and the arrest and detention of Pakistani scientist Aifa Siddique.

Read more: www.longwarjournal.org...

With video,

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see what the police investigation turns up and compare it to the video's claims.

voices.washingtonpost.com...

I myself still wonder what went on with that oil rig, something is fishy.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Eh, they would claim any attack on U.s soil. I for one think that this is such a puny attack. What are people to believe?? that these car bombs would blow up a entire block in new york? It may have killed 4-15 people, but injuring more than 50. This move is small. What are they really up to that is what I'm wondering

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
Eh, they would claim any attack on U.s soil. I for one think that this is such a puny attack. What are people to believe?? that these car bombs would blow up a entire block in new york? It may have killed 4-15 people, but injuring more than 50. This move is small. What are they really up to that is what I'm wondering

I don't know Jordon, lately one can't even believe their own eyes,

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
if i took a dump in times square some boy in pikistan would claim responsability. if this guy is their top bomb maker he wants sacked it didnt even work my 8 year old sister could of been more succsesfull. it stinks of false flag to me.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Excuses to send more than drones into Pakistan and search for more "terrorists" and be the judge, jury and executioner of anyone acting suspiciously like a terrorist.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Either they're getting lazy or they failed again. It failed to detonate.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Time Square car bomb: Cops evacuate heart of NYC after 'potential terrorist attack'

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...< br />

"I did a lap around the vehicle. The inside was smoking," Rhatigan told the Daily News. "I smelled gunpowder and knew it might blow. I thought it might blow any second."

He alerted two rookie female cops patrolling the area. Together, they pushed hundreds of people away from the scene as they called for backup, he said.

The Fire Department and bomb squad rushed to the scene.

What they found was stunning: a running SUV packed with three propane tanks, two red 5-gallon plastic jugs of gasoline, a clock, electrical components and a canister of gunpowder, police sources said.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...< br />

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Humm, I don't know about you but its been warnings for the last months talking about false flags around, now we got a "failed bombing" and "taliban" taking responsibility, humm, it doesn't got well with me.

First of all its been warnings of false flags,

Second why will Taliban get to claim that it was their bomb attempt when it failed, kind of makes them look stupid

Third, we got a very unstable unhappy population, bills that are a disaster to the tax payer and debt deficit and incoming congress elections in the fall

I don't bite into it.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

What they found was stunning: a running SUV packed with three propane tanks, two red 5-gallon plastic jugs of gasoline, a clock, electrical components and a canister of gunpowder, police sources said.

I imagine even through this bombing attempt looks lame,

in a crowd, shrapnel could do a lot of damage.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Last night on the news they said they had some very promising leads, guess we will have to wait, I think they know the owner of the car, but it could have been stolen.

[edit on 113131p://bSunday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

No matter how small it was and If it would have killed just one person then they did their job.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mntngr

No matter how small it was and If it would have killed just one person then they did their job.

Yes, it is about fear, and terror, no matter who the guilty party is.

I don't understand why these videos always surface.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The point of terrorism is to terrorize - to scare people. Large amounts of casualties are not necessarily a requirement.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Hey Marg, I still think the oil rig disaster was terrorism, did anyone find out the cause?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
The point of terrorism is to terrorize - to scare people. Large amounts of casualties are not necessarily a requirement.

Exactly, it did shut down time square, also.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Well this was a singularly incompetent bombing (thanks the gods). I think it is a bit fishy.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5

Well this was a singularly incompetent bombing (thanks the gods). I think it is a bit fishy.

Yes, thank god.

Did you know they found someone in the subway system with cyanide tablets last night too,

Let me see if I can find it, wonder if there is a connection.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Sorry it wasn't last night, but here is the story from the thirtieth,
blogs.wsj.com...

A man dressed like a subway worker found walking the tracks with road flares and a container marked “sodium cyanide” early Thursday morning turned out to be a suicidal college student, and not a terrorist as authorities originally feared, police said.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority workers riding in the tunnel to pick up garbage spotted Aaron Fetto, 20, dressed in a hardhat, reflective vest and yellow, knee-length boots around 5:30 a.m. walking in the tunnel south of Bowling Green heading toward Brooklyn, said Paul Browne, the New York Police Department’s spokesman.

Thinking he was another worker, MTA employees pulled the man onto the cart. When they realized he wasn’t a fellow worker, the MTA employees took him to the Bowling Green station and an officer stationed at the Omega anti-terrorism post, arrested him, Browne said.

Inside Fetto’s backpack, detectives found two one-liter bottles of water, five road flares, a lighter and a quart-sized can with a “sodium cyanide” label.

The Department of Environmental Protection was called in, as were officers from the NYPD’s Emergency Services Unit who searched the tracks, but found nothing.

The can was taken to a mobile lab downtown where officers in protective hazardous materials suits opened the can and discovered what they believe were sodium cyanide tablets, Browne said. Sodium cyanide is a highly toxic salt most commonly used as a pesticide. When heated it emits toxic fumes but is not an explosive.

It just doesn't add up to me that this was a suicide attempt.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join