It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistani Taliban claim credit for failed NYC Times Square car bombing

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Seems this is the start of something new...... Domestic scare tactics On Us soils... the work of rogue elements in the Government. i dont Know, does times square Have CCTV??????? If it doesnt they will be pushing for the installation of CCTV cameras, in and around NYC..

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Hi Storm,

S & F'd

Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has claimed responsibility but they are not likely to be the perps. TTP is very technically capable and whoever attempted this bombing is not!

This incident bears several similarities to the attacks in London on June 29, 2007, when two failed vehicle bombs were placed in central London entertainment districts during the evening in an attempt to cause mass casualties. Like the Times Square device, the London devices also contained propane tanks and cans of gasoline with a low explosive initiator charge — though the New York device reportedly used a timer instead of a cell phone to activate the device.

We need to be watching the open source information flow and talking to our contacts for signs of a pending arrest or indications of a possible follow-on attack. Such an attack could involve another bombing attempt, or could be a simple attack using firearms or other readily available weapons. Also, like the Glasgow attack, a follow-on attack could be a suicide mission.

[edit on 2/5/10 by plumranch]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
CNN just released video surveillance
of the possible suspect.
I tried to post the link
but it has the tilde key in the
link and ATS wont let me post
it. Just go to CNN videos and u'll find it.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Sure they claim responsibility. Any group seeking recognition and attention is going to claim they were behind an attack or attempted attack. You can find a plethora of voices clamoring to claim responsibility for any plot, especially when it would give them the recognition they seek.

Then again, the plot failed, so I'm not sure why they would claim responsibility for a failed attack. Why would they want to make themselves to appear incompetent? These groups supposedly see themselves as carrying out the will of god right? Isn't failing to carry out their supposed holy mission the equivalent of death for them, as if they've failed god?

It just seems like every attack or failed attack that happens now is blamed on a group, and in the name of preventing future attacks the government offers up liberty on a sacrificial alter. They say that we should fear this group, tremble at the mention of one man's name, that we should shut down and step back because there's a possibility we might die at the hands of a terrorist.

Has it ever been in the American tradition to back down, to become petrified by fear, to give up the liberty that millions of men and women have died to protect?

The truth is that we can never truly stop someone, or a group that is hell bent on inflicting damage on our country.

Is it worth giving up our freedom because we fear death at the hands of nameless specters?

Can you see that a war on terrorism cannot be won (is that the plan?) because you cannot defeat a tactic?

The GWOT (Global War on Terror) is a farce. There is no question that there are threats from groups and individuals who seek to harm our country. There is also no question that these threats are intensely exaggerated. They are embellished to create the illusion that you could die at any moment at the hands of some unbalanced religious zealot.

It's a wet dream for the war machine and the bankers who fund it; an endless war where the entire planet is a battlefield. It's set up to pound populations into submission, they eventually want people to roll over and beg the state for assistance.

Think about it. Somewhere a truck bomb blows up, some random group claims responsibility. The government then says temporary suspension of civil rights are necessary to combat the threat. Months go by, then years, the rights are never restored.

All of a sudden, a new enemy pops up, part of a supposed different group, and maybe a different cause. A bomb goes off in a market, this new group claims responsibility. Now they say it's necessary for all citizens to register with the government in the name safety to ensure they aren't terrorists.

Another attack. Now they say that an entire country is a war zone, that we need troops to carry out missions against extremists and against civilians who are endangering the population by espousing unfavorable views. They tell you an attack can come from anywhere, from anyone, that your neighbor is a potential serial killer or a terrorist, that anyone who talks about freedom or prepares himself for hard economic times should be considered suspicious.

They organize a special group of ordinary citizens to investigate other 'suspicious' citizens, and to report them to the Bureau of Safety (BS for short). They are awarded with special privileges and badges to commemorate their patriotic efforts.

The supposed terrorist groups are never totally defeated, and are repeatedly brought out of the closet to make threats that are distributed like heroin by the media to ensure the population remains in fear.

They use this fear. They amplify it in the media to push their goal for a locked-down surveillance society. They explain how we must give the state more power, how it needs total information awareness to do its job.

The truth is that we will never win this war, that it isn't worth giving up our freedom for. There will always be crazies out there, no matter what kind of society we live in. I think we need to realize how precious our freedoms are, and that they aren't worth sacrificing in the name of an endless, pointless, and un-winnable conflict.

Some argue 9/11 was an inside job. I have questions. If you believe the official story on 9/11, the invasion of Afghanistan was necessary to defeat the group that attacked us; understandable from that perspective. We invaded Afghanistan, ousted the Taliban (at least temporarily), and dismantled a large part of Al Qaeda (but not nearly all of it).

Now they say that the terrorists are at home, that people who mention the constitution and advocate liberty are potential mass murderers. Do you see the game here? They don't care about protecting you, they want to control you. They want to drive as many wedges as possible between as many people as possible, and once people are divided they are blinded to their rights slowly being chipped away.

Regardless of who planned or attempted to carry out the Times Square event, we need to realize what makes our country so great. It's not football, baseball, flag-waving, unquestioning obedience to government, or our conquest of other nations. Folks, it's freedom. Regardless of color, I hope you realize that.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by JipStix]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by crusader
www.foxnews.com...

Seems this is the start of something new...... Domestic scare tactics On Us soils... the work of rogue elements in the Government. i dont Know, does times square Have CCTV??????? If it doesnt they will be pushing for the installation of CCTV cameras, in and around NYC..

guess who runs the CCTV cameras???
An Israeli company called Verint Systems Ltd.

www.iaesi.org.il...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
Is this CNN video the one you saw?

yep, thats it !!!

how did u get it to post ???

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
When the story hit with the info as to what was in the SUV, a thought hit me.

Why would they have propane tanks and gas cans? I'm sure it's very possible it could, and likely was, just whatever flammable material they could get and throw in there, but then I start to wonder...what if one or two of those containers had some poisonous/chemical mix in them to spread death over a much wider space, or nail the cops and feds after the fact? Hell, a little explosion wouldn't be much, how bout a little explosion with some mustard gas? Much more effective. If this was to be a serious car bomb, wouldn't you want a few cases of nails or something for mass shrapnel? Those EPA guys in the suits were out there for a while. And if so, would they (mass media) bother to inform the public of this had it been found out?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

yep, thats it !!!

how did u get it to post ???

Heh, I've been here six years and still struggle with links sometimes.
In this case cut and pasted the link and manually typed the url code into my post like this;

url=http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/05/03/vo.nyc.suspect.video.nypd?hpt=T1]this CNN video the one you saw?[/url

(only with a bracket on the front and back end).

[edit on 5/3/10 by makeitso]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Another false flag in my opinion as well.

Better for it to have not exploded for those who set this up. I feel that if they learned anything from 9-11 its that when deaths are involved in NY we dont just sit here and accept it, we figure out wtf is going on. So security will tighten regardless because of what COULD have happened without all the mess of having people enraged or saddened by the loss for loved ones. If no one is hurt almost no one cares, except that is for those who know what to look for in a news story...

Now all the sudden these "terrorists" cant manage to get one plan to work successfully? They manage to Hijack a plane and do some intense maneuvers to drive into buildings.... A JUMBO JET!! and now they cant detonate a bomb? i would think if they have the know-how to make ide's out of just about anything and have had them successfully detonate too many times on our soilders that they could manage one bomb that would be "important" to them no?

well see what legislation comes from this "Attack"

"Since there have been so many suspicious cars in NYC as of late we are now deeming it legal to search any car for any reason, trunk and glove box included, to protect us against the evvviiiilllllll!!!! BOOOOO!!! be scared!!!! hugh jackman!! ahhhhh!!!" (not a real quote....duh)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Pakistan Taliban leader threatens US cities

Drudge head line,

news.yahoo.com...

ISLAMABAD (AFP) – Pakistani Taliban leader Hakimullah Mehsud has vowed to attack major US cities in two purported new videos released months after his reported killing in a US missile strike.

The videos emerged after an attempted car bombing in New York City, for which his faction claimed responsibility in a third video, and provided the most substantial evidence so far that he survived a US attempt on his life.

Mehsud threatened to retaliate against the United States for the killing of Islamist militant leaders, appearing in a nine-minute video allegedly made on April 4, after his supposed death in January.

The videos spotlight the Islamist militant threat in nuclear-armed Pakistan, which the United States has put on the front line of the war on Al-Qaeda and where Pakistani troops have waged multiple offensives against the Taliban.

"The time is very near when our fedayeen will attack the American states in the major cities," said Mehsud, who was seen flanked by two armed and masked men in the video released by the SITE and IntelCenter monitoring groups.

The video is the first showing Mehsud since January and was issued on the heels of a claim by Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan that it was behind the attempted bombing in New York's Time Square on Saturday.

US officials believed Mehsud was likely killed in a US drone strike in northwestern Pakistan on January 14, but the Taliban denied his death and Pakistani intelligence officials said last week that he had survived.

The Islamist leader, who took over leadership of the TTP last August, rubbished reports of his death as an "open lie and propaganda".

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

This incident bears several similarities to the attacks in London on June 29, 2007, when two failed vehicle bombs were placed in central London entertainment districts during the evening in an attempt to cause mass casualties. Like the Times Square device, the London devices also contained propane tanks and cans of gasoline with a low explosive initiator charge — though the New York device reportedly used a timer instead of a cell phone to activate the device.

Oh yes I recall, thank you,

I think what they said last night is that the activation devices used in other countries are not available here, or illegal, something like that.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I'm a network television news insider, long critical of my own profession for allowing itself to be spoon-fed "facts" from government agencies without question.

The first really warm weekend of the year in New York City, the mayor announces a "failed" "car bomb" ... and within hours some nasty "terrorist" group "claims responsibility".

Neat and tidy, just in time for the Sunday evening newscasts -- just a little reminder to us Americans (and us New Yorkers in particular) that there are bad people out there who want to do us harm.

How incredibly convenient that the government did its job to foil an alleged terrorist attack ... that no one got hurt ... that Bloomie got to claim credit for it ... and that this "claim of responsibility" only served to reinforce the U.S. government's "war on terror" propaganda.

My my my ... you'd think Bush was still in office!

But rather than take this information at face value (which the mainstream media is only interested in doing), let's look a little deeper. If there really WAS a thwarted terror attack, what good could possibly be gained from releasing this information to the public? To remind us that the government is doing its job? To scare the hell out of us yet AGAIN so that we won't revolt over the further encroachment on our civil liberties vis-a-vis the "Patriot" Act? To distract our attention from the ongoing SEC investigation of Goldman Sachs' orchestrating of the Great Depression II?

Or all of the above?

It seems to me that if the government really wanted to thwart terror attacks, it wouldn't be putting out press releases giving terrorists ideas.

Just a thought.

More on this: www.tribecascribe.wordpress.com

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Updated May 03, 2010
Administration Eyes Foreign Link in Times Square Bomb Plot

The investigation into the Times Square car bomb has started to reveal information that suggests the failed attack was the work of an international plot, a senior administration official told Fox News.

A Pakistani Taliban group released a videotape that appeared to claim responsibility for the incident, but New York City officials said they had no evidence to support that.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NYCWriter

If there really WAS a thwarted terror attack, what good could possibly be gained from releasing this information to the public?

Interesting perspective, there was a car bomb, people saw it, how do you hide that?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Hunt is on for missing Conn. man who bought car bomb Nissan just 2 weeks ago on Craigslist

Read more: www.nydailynews.com... uML04Gp

Investigators aren't certain whether he is the same man who drove the rolling bomb to the Crossroads of the World, but he has not been seen by his girlfriend - and has not shown up at his home or job - since the frightening incident on Saturday night.

Detectives from the NYPD and FBI identified the SUV owner after tracking down the registration of the previous owner, who told investigators he'd sold the vehicle.

The mystery man met the seller through craigslist.com and paid $1,800 cash for the Pathfinder, the Daily News has learned.

The revelation came as:

- The News learned from sources that forensic evidence found in the Pathfinder points to the possibility that whoever prepared the car bomb has links to foreign terrorists.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com... uMg8PnD

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

An American man of Pakistani descent taken into custody in connection with the botched car bombing in New York City's Times Square was due to appear in court Tuesday.

The man, a U.S. citizen who had recently returned from a trip to Pakistan, was identified by officials as 30-year-old Faisal Shahzad. He was detained at 11:45 p.m. Monday night at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York before an overseas flight. Attorney General Eric Holder said at a news conference early Tuesday morning that Mr. Shahzad was preparing to fly to Dubai.

Mr. Shahzad, who was born in Karachi and left Pakistan at an unknown date for the U.S., was back in Pakistan between July and August 2009, Pakistani police and intelligence officials said Tuesday. During that trip he traveled to Peshawar, a gateway town to the tribal areas where the Pakistan army is engaged in a war against the Taliban. It was immediately unclear if he made subsequent visits to Pakistan.

online.wsj.com...

Stay tuned for more from your hippy dippy news girl.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

U.S. citizen from Pakistan arrested in Times Square bomb case

By Spencer S. Hsu, Anne E. Kornblut and Jerry Markon
Tuesday, May 4, 2010; 9:00 AM

A 30-year-old American immigrant from Pakistan was taken off a plane bound for Dubai late Monday at John F. Kennedy International Airport and arrested in connection with a failed attempt to detonate a car bomb in Times Square, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. announced.

Authorities said Faisal Shahzad of Shelton, Conn., had paid cash for a Nissan Pathfinder that was found packed with explosives Saturday night on a tourist-crowded block in Midtown Manhattan. The vehicle was set ablaze but failed to detonate.

Officials located Shahzad after a sweeping two-day investigation that yielded what senior Obama administration officials described as a flood of international and domestic clues suggesting a plot involving more than one person.

"At this time, we believe [Shahzad] is responsible for assembling the bomb and driving to the site," another law enforcement official said, while cautioning, "If we learn later that in Pakistan he has done something in addition, I don't know."

www.washingtonpost.com...

Cellphone led FBI to Times Square car bomb suspect arrest

Read more: www.politico.com...

www.politico.com...

Also a man has been arrested in Karachi.
no link

[edit on 093131p://bTuesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Obama Administration Removed Faisal Shahzad From Terror Surveilance List Before Attack

(CBS News)

The Strata Sphere is all over this story.

Confessed terrorist Faisal Shahzad was removed from the Department of Homeland Security travel lookout list sometime after Barack Obama came into office.
CBS reported:

Sources tell CBS News that would-be Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad appeared on a Department of Homeland Security travel lookout list – Traveler Enforcement Compliance System (TECS) – between 1999 and 2008 because he brought approximately $80,000 cash or cash instruments into the United States.

The New York Times reported that the person who bought Faisal’s apartment back in 2004 was interviewed by federal investigators.

George LaMonica, a 35-year-old computer consultant, said he bought his two-bedroom condominium in Norwalk, Conn., from Mr. Shahzad for $261,000 in May 2004. A few weeks after he moved in, Mr. LaMonica said, investigators from the national Joint Terrorism Task Force [JTTF] interviewed him, asking for details of the transaction and for information about Mr. Shahzad. It struck Mr. LaMonica as unusual, but he said detectives told him they were simply “checking everything out.”

Barack Obama began shutting down Bush-era terrorist investigations last year including the investigation of Faisal Shahzad.
We all know what happened next.
Last week Faisal almost blew a hole in the middle of Times Square.
The only thing that saved the people of New York was Faisal’s incompetence.

gatewaypundit.firstthings.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join