It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was raped twice in Iraq – US veteran speaks out

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by sadchild01

How many countries don't report? Or underreport? Stats are worth only what you think they're worth. As long as they support your agenda, they're worthwhile, if they don't, they get ignored.

Any number of rapes is too many. No one disagrees with that. But to use it as a tool to drive an agenda is reprehensible...

considering that you have absence of evidence ,
I cannot take your post seriously, using your assumption, it can be said that USA officially underreports it rapes too.

I will consider official figures credible .

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlayeR87
Some posters saying not to label all soldiers as rapists because of the actions of a few are the same people that label all priests as child rapists because of the actions of a few

Alright. let me just say.. ..what..? I don't label all because of the few when it comes to soldiers and where in my life have you known me to call all priests rapists for the few of them that do it. Better yet out of all the people that have posted don't label all soldiers rapists because of the small percentage of rapists, which you find anywhere i might add not just the military. Have you asked all these people what they think of priests. In closing after i just wrote a bunch of stuff lol. i for one do not label priests or military men.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Nope one rape is too many, and insinuating that is typical for most poor responses here. Lets see.........You have 2 oranges, 1 have 10, 1 of your oranges goes bad, 50% of your oranges are bad, I have 10, 2 go bad, so I have 20%? of my oranges go bad.........half of yours are bad, yet only 20% of mine are, even though twice as many are bad.......does that help a little. Just keep help pushing the OP's anti american agenda, you sure look good doing it. As for not accepting the fact that many rapes are unreported/under reported elsewhere, maybe reading a few rape statistic web sites would help you get over that, or are the people who's statistics you are using not credible either as they all say the same thing?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainfall

Originally posted by Barak89
reply to post by rainfall

So If I joined a barbaric testosterone driven death machine then i am one myself. idk who you think you are but you and your threads on these things are absurd. don't speak of things you know nothing about.

The reason I post these kinds of threads is just to help wake up the pro-military group.......

The U.S. government is a bigger threat to the American people than any counrty in the world...

I can see where you are coming from. The military may do questionable things. hell even i agree with that and im for the military. maybe not their actions but for the men and women that serve, im thankful i have brothers in arms. All governments are threats to its people, but when the people let themselves be used by the government nothing can be done about it. wars that don't fix # are worthless but without the military and some kind of governing body, we would not have half as many freedoms as we do now. someday the leaders of the US will pay for their crimes and so will the future ones. I would love to just call it all quits in the middle east but if i did and we all did. we would have no protection left when we really needed it. what are you going to do to defend us when all the people willing are gone or dead because they refused to fight. how can you label me as a person, seriously how can you when you know nothing about me, Ive seen horrible # in my life but i keep on because i love this country despite its flaws. i would never rape, cheat or steal. i love my girl, i love my dog, i love my family. im sorry for raining on your parade of waking people up, ill stop after this post but let me say if you want to wake them up empower them, give them the tools to see, give them knowledge of politics, and understanding of government, urge them to see education so they can wake themselves up because most people have no power to actually wake someone up. and this really wont be accomplished on above top secret website. nothing can be accomplished here. well Ive said enough. don't judge me. for the actions of others. i did not rape that women and i would have given my life to protect her had i been there. Good day to you rainfall. i wish you luck in your quest. just maybe think the people you are accusing may not always be so bad.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Nope one rape is too many, and insinuating that is typical for most poor responses here. Lets see.........You have 2 oranges, 1 have 10, 1 of your oranges goes bad, 50% of your oranges are bad, I have 10, 2 go bad, so I have 20%? of my oranges go bad.........half of yours are bad, yet only 20% of mine are, even though twice as many are bad.......does that help a little. Just keep help pushing the OP's anti american agenda, you sure look good doing it. As for not accepting the fact that many rapes are unreported/under reported elsewhere, maybe reading a few rape statistic web sites would help you get over that, or are the people who's statistics you are using not credible either as they all say the same thing?

too bad , you are in state of denial ,and considering that you have absence of proven evidence backed by thoroughly credible sources ,you have proved nothing , and USA has maximum number of rapes in the world.

even in USA rapes could be or are underreported , yep ,

Report: Universities try to cover up rapes Posted 12/3/2009 2:23 PM |

A Washington-based investigative journalism organization said in a report issued Tuesday that it found a "culture of secrecy" surrounding sexual assault cases on university campuses across the U.S. The report by the Center for Public Integrity showed that nearly half of the 33 female students it interviewed in the past year about being raped were unsuccessful in pursuing criminal charges. That left the campus judiciary system as their only recourse. But victims who take that route "face proceedings that are shrouded in secrecy, where they encounter mysterious disciplinary proceedings, where they themselves are shut out of the hearing process," Kristen Lombardi, lead reporter on the nine-month investigation, said during a news conference broadcast Tuesday. Nearly a third of the 33 victims said school administrators discouraged them from pursuing complaints, and about a dozen experienced confidentiality requirements "sometimes followed by threats of punishment if they were to disclose any information about the case," Lombardi said. The 33 students interviewed for the study represent only a fraction of the sexual assault cases at campuses nationwide. The U.S. Department of Education's office of post-secondary education said there were 2,532 forcible sex offenses in campuses in 2007. A 2005 study by the National Institute of Justice, the research arm of the U.S. Justice Department, found that one in five women on a college campus will be the victim of rape or attempted rape by the time she graduates.
www.usatoday.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Well, good luck in life...........I guess you can't see the conflict in your own post last time, so I guess you can go on and pass your propoganda off as truth to others, you're in good company with others here on this thread. Have a nice day.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The US military reflects the society it serves. They are not some "other" that represents a unique threat. They are the active expression of our values, interests, and agenda as a nation. If you want to point fingers at who originates, perpetuates, or denies the issues of sexual violence, or any other issue, look no further than yourself and your community. There is no magic wall between civil and military society. Military bases have strong ties to the local community. Soldier's enter service from around the country, from every social and economic background, and most return to their communities after having spent a small portion of their lives in service, whether in peace or war. They take their problems with them when they enter service, and bring them home with them too.

Demonizing select groups of people to further an agenda of "waking up the pro-military" folks here does nothing to promote a complex understanding of this issue. WE are the problem as much as any American soldier. As a people, we need to heal and deal with these evils. WE are culpable. There are no innocent bystanders.

Each of us possesses the full range of potential human behavior, rape and murder among them, but it is our capacity for acknowledging the self in others that makes such behavior impossible. We are a long way from that as a nation, and until then, there will always be murderers, rapists, and evil people because we inhabit and promote an institution (nation) that routinely disenfranchises and dehumanizes groups of people, just like the author of this thread sought to do. It's how we justify war, social reform, bailouts, regime changes, and other nastiness that hurts people instead of helping them.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

Well, good luck in life...........I guess you can't see the conflict in your own post last time, so I guess you can go on and pass your propoganda off as truth to others, you're in good company with others here on this thread. Have a nice day.

propaganda? lol, you haven't given even one shred of evidence for the BS you post and you call me the propagandist ,

like it or not ,USA HAS THE MAX RAPES IN WORLD

Rape in the U.S. military

How a fraternal culture and a habit of blaming the victim leave sexual violence unexamined and unpunished. *

Anne K. Ream's recent Op-Ed sheds much needed light on how the U.S. military continues to trivialize rape and sexual assault committed by members of the armed forces. Writing about whether a man who is convicted of rape in a civilian court should still be entitled to a traditional military funeral, Ream points out that although barring full honor burials in such a situation is largely a symbolic act, "the military policy of allowing honors burials for veterans convicted of rape sends a chilling message to victims: Even the most heinous sexual violence does not trump prior military service."
www.latimes.com...

us military trivializes rape ,this is pathetic and people like you condone it

1 out of 3 women are raped in military ,
mydd.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I served 6 years and never saw nor heard of one rape. I guessing that counts for naught. I must respectfully ask you to quit saying I condone rape. Not agreeing with your "facts", doesn't mean I condone anything, in fact I believe I said one rape was too many. You can disagree with me all you want.......but the insults are getting old.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Sweet!! Another week on ATS, and another Anti-US military thread started by Rainfall!!!

Yeah, no agenda showing here.

Hmmmm...and what about women that are raped in your hometown? Gonna be spreading the hate for their attackers, or just give them a pass???

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hack28
I think it is offensive to wrap all service people into a "they" statement when dealing with one sick individual.
Lets try and keep some perspective on this, this is horrible, as horrible as any form of rape. It does not condemn a country, society, or military.

ok but their are a lot of weirdos in the military........they take almost anyone....they need troops so it's not like they are taking only the best of the best.......

I just think they don't do enough to expose it and like everything else military related.....they abuse their power and try to cover it up....

I wish somebody in power would be responsible with it for once in human history...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by noangels

I know you wont say say it but you hinted at it,do muslims rape more than america does?

If you want to make it a Muslim thing, go for it.

Personally, I never said or hinted at such thing. All I said is that rape is a serious issue and IMO stats don't reflect the true picture.

It seems that in america there seen as sex objects too

Never said they weren't. My post applied to all countries.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

ok but their are a lot of weirdos in the military..

Which has more weirdos, the civilian world or the military world?

I just think they don't do enough to expose it and like everything else military related.....they abuse their power and try to cover it up....

No debate here. I agree with you that they should do more to address the issue.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

I served 6 years and never saw nor heard of one rape. I guessing that counts for naught. I must respectfully ask you to quit saying I condone rape. Not agreeing with your "facts", doesn't mean I condone anything, in fact I believe I said one rape was too many. You can disagree with me all you want.......but the insults are getting old.

ok so you served in the military, now i understand why you condone murders,rapes,extrajudicial executions by US military. virtually in many military threads you are spread like a rash

if this were a case in the court , i would have won it , as in your case there is absence of evidence whatsoever .

considering that US rape military trivializes rape , i can understand why you make pathetic and feeble attempts to dispute the facts .

You can disagree with me all you want

I can see your agenda , you attempt to trivialize and condone rape

1 out of 3 women are raped in US military
mydd.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
This is a terrible crime and makes you wonder if it's really a good idea to allow women in the military; 1 in 3 women simply can't be ignored.

I mean lets be honest with ourselves here, you take over 100,000 men, most of which barely have a high school education, many of which are there out of necessity because they can't get work elsewhere... and sprinkle in a few women here and there... do we really have that much confidence in the lowest common denominators of that male population? America likes to believe that their guys are the best of the best, and maybe they are... at killing other people, not respecting the rights of their fellow female soldiers.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

OJ won his case too........your agenda is showing as well my friend. You don't acknowledge what the sources for your own numbers say, you use insults instead of facts (not surprising really). Again, I must respectfully ask you to knock off the condoning rape comments. I haven't resorted to name calling or personal attacks, and don't intend to.......so please respond, if you choose to in an adult manner.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by adifferentbreed]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

OJ won his case too........your agenda is showing as well my friend. You don't acknowledge what the sources for your own numbers say, you use insults instead of facts (not surprising really). Again, I must respectfully ask you to knock off the condoning rape comments. I haven't resorted to name calling or personal attacks, and don't intend to.......so please respond, if you choose to in an adult manner.

the victory for OJ was a exception and yes , i have provided ample evidence and stats that USA has max no. of rapes in the world , you feeble attempt to spin the issue is pathetic .

.your agenda is showing as well my friend.

your agenda to trivialize the issue of rape is pathetic and abominable .
1 out of 3 women raped in your military is pathetic , and your military is possibly reflection of your society , and it shows the respect for women in society

seems women are viewed like sex dolls to be molested and thrown away in your society

mydd.com...

considering that USA has 95000 + rapes per year(officially) it is no doubt the max in thw world and only 16% rapes are reported , it is understandable that rapes per year could be in the magnitude of 500,000+

VFP National will assist local chapters and other organizations in a nationwide effort to warn women, our daughters, sister, aunts, mothers and nieces of the known risk of rape in the military. A Veterans Administrative Study financed by the US Army Medical Corps reported that 1 in 3 women in the military were raped. Read the details of the study on VFP's website link (Important: Read Erratum for specific statistic) to the MRAW and the list of other resources, studies, and reports on the problem. To insure that your efforts during the campaign are credible and successful, please educate yourself and your chapter's members. 1 in 3 women are raped in the military
www.veteransforpeace.org...

Rep. Jane Harman, D-California, spoke before a House panel investigating the way the military handles reports of sexual assault. She said she recently visited a Veterans Affairs hospital in the Los Angeles area, where women told her horror stories of being raped in the military. "My jaw dropped when the doctors told me that 41 percent of the female veterans seen there say they were victims of sexual assault while serving in the military," said Harman, who has long sought better protection of women in the military. "Twenty-nine percent say they were raped during their military service. They spoke of their continued terror, feelings of helplessness and downward spirals many of their lives have taken since. "We have an epidemic here," she said. "Women serving in the U.S. military today are more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire in Iraq."
www.cnn.com...

[edit on 14-1-2010 by sadchild01]

[edit on 14-1-2010 by sadchild01]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join