It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heatwave in South Australia, QLD and NSW....firefighters on standby for severe Bushfires

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by Selahobed
On a pertinent point, with the recent headlines of revised world temp increase going to 6 degrees, how would this affect Australia? Have you made any climate models with the revised temp? Will this increase make even more parts of Australia uninhabitable?

Not really my area, more to do with our climate section. They have a forecast out on the web.

I believe the higher temperatures are attributed to a moderate El Nino weather pattern this year. Its not climate change, its actually normal

Thanks for that info

But again, not being professionally involved in the weather industry, I've always thought that the El and La Nino effects were cyclical to a large extent ... but perhaps I have that wrong.

However, if they are cyclical in nature, wouldn't that mean we'd experience these huge temp increases/spikes on a regular basis tied into the Nino cycles ?
But having lived in Adelaide for 40 years, it seems to me we never had these sort of extremes in the past decades ... they only seem to have started happening in the last 5, definitely within the last 10 years.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dallas18
I figured the closer to the equator the hotter it would generally be. It hasn't been that bad in Brisbane these past few years, our last summer wasn't that hot, especially compared to down south. This summer should be interesting. And indeed, I am quite suprised by these weather conditions considering it's only November.

On average the tropics are warmer all year round, but in summer they are a tad cooler. That doesnt mean its comfortable though, as the humidity up there is extremely high.

The hottest places in Australia over the long term are actually located in North West Australia, out in the Kimberley and Pilbara regions of West Australia. As well as that, North South Australia and South West QLD, West NSW and Southern NT are also extremely hot

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
anyone Adeleidians wanna share my sydney southerly sea breeze

Its brushing me gently as we speak...hehehehe

Dont get to comfortable Missy

We will be seding this weather your way over the next couple of days....hopefully

In fact, if you could please provide a forwarding address ... I'd be more than happy to ship it over to you NOW ... will even pay postage

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well I'm in Mid Western Sydney and it's boiling hot.
I've got my A/C on full bore.
I'm hoping for a rainy overcast Christmas like last year.
With this hot November, it just may well cool down in December.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed
reply to post by tauristercus

Cheers mate! lol Just got off the phone to the fiancee who is there already and she's complaining. I told her to be greatfull she isnt where you are, with which her response was to tell me to blow it out my arse

If you tried "blowing it out your ar.." here in Adelaide or where OzWeatherman is ... just might possibly ignite in these temps

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
It just got to 44.4 here

Thats our hottest November temperature ever

Think I need to go to the pool....

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I really hope that there isn't a fire in this heat as I am thinking of the firefighters and how dangerous it must be just from the heat, let alone trying to put out a fire.

I don't imagine that it would take much to set off a fire with the accumulation of all the hot days. It must be pretty dry at this point.

Best of luck to you, and try and stay cool. It's 2C here right now, and I won't complain as I'd rather have this than what you have.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

It just got to 44.4 here

Thats our hottest November temperature ever

Think I need to go to the pool....

I just may do the same myself, Oz ... we're not far behind you having just reached 42c at 3pm ... the hottest November record for us here in Adelaide as well, I believe !

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Well....

Now we got severe thunderstorm warnings out for tonight

YAY!!!!!

And I know Woomera broke its November maximum temp record...officially 44.9 degrees!!!!

www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Living in Brisbane
It seriously makes me consider buying a pool, and a industrial strength air conditioner.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by WishForWings
Living in Brisbane
It seriously makes me consider buying a pool, and a industrial strength air conditioner.

Brisbane is nothing...

I lived there for months over summer. You havent experienced heat until you've lived in West Australia, South Australia or the Northern Territory.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
I just may do the same myself, Oz ... we're not far behind you having just reached 42c at 3pm ... the hottest November record for us here in Adelaide as well, I believe !

Yep, it was just on the news.

Hottest November day here on record.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Living in Brisbane

Brisbane is nothing...

I lived there for months over summer. You havent experienced heat until you've lived in West Australia, South Australia or the Northern Territory.

Hah, luckily I've never been to any of those places.
I just want to live in Tasmania during the summer
and Brisbane in the winter.

Ohh, do you know if it'll be cloudy in Brisbane tonight?
I'm so eager to try and see this meteor shower, if it's still happening.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by WishForWings

Hard to say

There appears to be a few isolated storms to the north west according to the satellite image, but I cant say for certain whether it will be cloudy or not.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Ah sure, thanks for that!

Hope it cools down a little for you

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Living in Brisbane

I can't agree with you more! Fan's just seem to blow the hot air around more. but i'm grateful that i'm not living out west! Brisbane can be hot, but it's better then 44degree temps! I hope the storms cool it down for guys out there Oz!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Hahaha, yeah my fan does that too.
Just.. pushes all the hot air over in my direction.

My family just took advantage of that "free" insulation so it's not as bad as it was this time last year, that's for sure.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust
I can't agree with you more! Fan's just seem to blow the hot air around more. but i'm grateful that i'm not living out west! Brisbane can be hot, but it's better then 44degree temps! I hope the storms cool it down for guys out there Oz!

Oh it will be storming very soon I think

The sky is cloudy as anything and the radar is showing storms actually becoming stronger as they approach. It should drop the temp when they get here

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Last year just before the supercell hit Brisbane I noticed it got significantly warmer only a few minutes before the storm hit our area.

Thought that was pretty awesome.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
the worst aspect of the weather during the time mentioned in OP at the adelaide hills location, was the total lack of any form of cloud presence anywhere in the sky, honestly, its was a cloudless windless hot-as day or 2.

but then bam! cold & rain.

reminds me of tasmania. we had the heat wave, then 2 days later you can smell fresh rain mixed with smoke from the fires people were lighting in their homes due to the cold....love that smell...but it belongs in tasmania...I've not smelt it in S.A, til now anyway.

So what can we expect for summer?

anything would be my bet.

anyone know why with this 4-seasons to a day 'crowded house' weather, is spreading from tasmania to S.A?

-B.M

btw, power out @ 2am night before last due to storms, but theres been no late night helicopter sweeps for about a month now, people thought they were scoping for crops, my personal view is military exercises conducted by wood side barracks.

The weather behaves as though someone accidently hit the 'heat wave' button too early for summer, everyone noticed the slip up, he got de-moted & the replacement hit us with a storm to balance up the temperature again & the heatwave will reappear at the appropriate time, honestly thats what it feels like, as if someone has a control panel for the weather & due to 'human error' the timing was somewhat off. It would of course be the easiest way to propagate a lie of global warming event, by artificially triggering one.

-B.M

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join