It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heatwave in South Australia, QLD and NSW....firefighters on standby for severe Bushfires

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

Yeah we got that before you

On Friday night we had a thunderstorm, and from then on it kept raining. I measured 16.4mm of rain on Saturday morning, and it kept raining til about 8pm....this morning we ended up with 26.6mm.

Woomeras monthly average rainfall for November is 16.4mm, lol

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Not very nice here in VIC, but then we have about 10 temperature changes a day, all day, every day!

Nothing unusual about hot weather in November, I was born on 29th November ( a few years ago now ) & it was a 30 degree celcius day----temp back then was farenhiet, but who cares about the translation!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Now, OZ, i want you to stay safe...ok?

You mean too much to most of us. Take care. ^
^

you all be careful down under.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Despite that summer isn't here yet?...did you hear about something called "El nino" has popped it's ugly head again?.....

You seem to be claiming this is abnormal, when it is not, El Nino is what is causing the heatwave in Australia.

But good luck anyway, you guys will need it.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Despite that summer isn't here yet?...did you hear about something called "El nino" has popped it's ugly head again?.....

You seem to be claiming this is abnormal, when it is not, El Nino is what is causing the heatwave in Australia.

But good luck anyway, you guys will need it.

You must have missed my post on page one

I believe the higher temperatures are attributed to a moderate El Nino weather pattern this year. Its not climate change, its actually normal

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

just wondering why you think we will need luck? We have the same conditions every summer. Hot, windy, blustery, bushfire prone........situation normal, every summer!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpinifexPrincess

just wondering why you think we will need luck? We have the same conditions every summer. Hot, windy, blustery, bushfire prone........situation normal, every summer!

type australia into the ATS search box, read the weather related threads, you will be able to answer that question through your own observations. Having said that, the majority of posters here were able to do that reading this thread alone.

P.L.U.R.I

-B.M

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
OZ...after the summer I just endured, all I have to say is I feel for ya....AND:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Maybe so, but I live it every day & there's no reason for us to feel threatened by our weather or our climate. Once every 20 or so years we have an exceptional period where all hell appears to break loose, like early this year, but nothing unusual.( and I don't need to google what I live every day ) We don't need luck, we are already lucky! But thanx anyway.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Maybe so, but I live it every day & there's no reason for us to feel threatened by our weather or our climate. Once every 20 or so years we have an exceptional period where all hell appears to break loose, like early this year, but nothing unusual.( and I don't need to google what I live every day ) We don't need luck, we are already lucky! But thanx anyway.

Thats true

Half our trees even need bushfire to be able to reproduce. They release spores or seeds when they are burnt

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

mmk fair enough, i don't think i'm old enough to have seen this kind of thing before, actually i'm not. how about those flash floods in vic yesterday, think they said a years worth of rain or a months worth in a day?

heaps cold up here at the moment

sorry @ SpinifexPrincess
no offence intended before, I misunderstood

-B.M

[edit - to include the word 'sorry'....i guess i thought i was john howard for a minute there...
]

[edit on 22/11/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Yeah we got all that weather over the weekend. We had over double the rainfall for the month of November in two days

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

You must have missed my post on page one

You didn't post that on your opening post, which is why I responded with saying this is because of El Nino. You said that on the 5th post you did, but my response was to your opening post where you didn't mention anything about El Nino.

Good to know anyways that you know this is because of El Nino.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I don't get that, we don't hear about it in OZ, is it something that annually affects a near by country, and the difference is that this year its affects are being felt in oz too?

does that mean that if the climate craps itself on the other side of the world, even the most weather-friendly places left will be bizzaro-land?

that revelation sucks somewhat.

also@ ozweatherman, thats crazy like a coconut. that basically means - expect anything.

If its winter, don't be suprised if u get a heatwave, if its summer don't be suprised if you get flash flooding....crazyness....

-B.M

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

aahh, I'm not easily offended, especially when I know I'm right!

Our country is full of extremes. Most of the population live on the smallest part of the land, near the coast of eastern australia. It's not until you get to the rest of it ( aka "the outback" ) that you realise just how big, & hostile the place actually is. Our Aboriginals have been burning off for thousands of years, that's exactly how our native trees seed themselves, as OZ said.
We're used to our climate, where one day can be 45 degrees celcius, & the very next day can be 16 degrees celcius. I don't say we like it, we're just used to the extremes in temp. We live it every day. And I still say we're the lucky ones!!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by B.Morrison

I don't get that, we don't hear about it in OZ, is it something that annually affects a near by country, and the difference is that this year its affects are being felt in oz too?

Actually, Australia is affected by El Nino and La Nina to a huge extent. Every year my colleagues in the Bureaus climate section do an analysis of the sea temperatures and the Southern Oscialltion Index and put out a climate forecast based on that data, to determine how strong or how weak the El Nino weather pattern is.

Here's a couple of links that will help:

www.bom.gov.au...

www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Interestingly enough, OZweatherman, the incidents of reporting the El Nino & La Nina conditions & which one is affecting us at the time, has pretty much dried up in the media in the last few years since the "global warming" bandwagon came out.
I was just mentioning this to a friend of mine the other day, & they commented with "yeah, I remember El Nino, whatever happened to that!!"

Nothing happened to El Nino & la Nina, they are still there, & still affecting out climate- cyclicly! You just wouldn't know it if you read the papers or watched the news!!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
wow, thats fascinating, I've lived here my whole life and assumed tasmania had the most dynamic temperature range & changes.

btw they just had bushfires...never saw a bushfire there for the 7-8yrs i lived there, a friend told me it isn't THAT rare tho.

my cousins an environmental scientist working in W.A, I wonder if he does any of that kind of work....

I mentioned to him that apparently global warming is occurring on other planets too and its a natural process for our galaxy, he told me that earth was due to enter an ice age but due to the warming it wasn't going to happen, i suggested that perhaps the 2 will cancel each other out and we'll be fine.

I still think a problematic-free outcome is possible for us humans.

-B.M

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Interestingly enough, OZweatherman, the incidents of reporting the El Nino & La Nina conditions & which one is affecting us at the time, has pretty much dried up in the media in the last few years since the "global warming" bandwagon came out.
I was just mentioning this to a friend of mine the other day, & they commented with "yeah, I remember El Nino, whatever happened to that!!"

That is true. I started a thread a while back explaining my reasoning behind thinking that El Nino and La Nina transition phases were responsible for the unusual temperature extremes experienced across the world. Unfortunantly it didnt get much attention, so Im thinkin of starting another thread on it....not sure it will work though

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

You never know, especially since the "hacked emails" from The Univerity of East Anglia story has come out--albeit still not in mainstream media here in AUS.

Either way, El Nino / La Nina versus Global Warming should be an interesting discussion, especially if the brainwashed "pro global warming party" run with it! Give it another go!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join