It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morrisons Refuses to sell wine to mother in case daughter drank it

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Morrisons Refuses to sell wine to mother in case daughter drank it

www.guardian.co.uk

Management consultant Jackie Slater thought she was completing a normal shopping trip to Morrisons until the checkout assistant demanded to see her ID before scanning two bottles of wine.

"I told her I was really flattered, but I was the wrong side of 50," she said. But the assistant pointed to her 17-year-old daughter, Emily, and her 18-year-old niece, Annice, who were standing at the end of the checkout chatting.

"She asked: 'Are they with you?' I said they'd come to help me carry the bags back to the car. The assistant said: 'You could be buying the wine for them. It's the pol
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is happening more and more in the UK and it is utterly ludicrous.
(just read some of the comments who substantiate my view)
Stores now have "new powers" - to determine if you are going to corrupt a minor (by providing alchohol/tobacco/weaponry).
This is going too far - the state is slowly deteriorating parents powers and choices regarding their own children.

In my view those working in Morrisons were in fact commiting slander - they were making assumptions on the mothers intentions - criminalising her in front of witnesses (with no evidence)- other shoppers in the store.

Even if the mother allowed her 17 year old daughter a glass of wine - this should not be a criminal offence imo - it should be the decision of the parent - not the state - and certainly not the business of some over officious jackass working in Morrisons!!!

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

If I were the mother, I would have nicely said, see all these messages, that you just have put through the scanner, you may put them all back. I will shop elsewhere from now on. The I would have asked to see the shop manager, and would have put a complaint in.

Is not the shop assistants fault, they have robably been told by those above them to act in this way. It is ridiculous I know, bu until people actually stop shopping at these stores after an incident like this occurs, these incidents will continue to occur.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Good point. Returning to a store which treated you in such a way is just asking for more abuse. Just put them out of business by not giving them your money so they do not have the power to treat people in such a demeaning manner.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

What makes this more ridiculous though, is that the Store in question, will not back down from its decision. The supermarket stores are the ones whom are going to loose customers over this. I think they are going way ott over these new rules which have been implemented by this stupid Government.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Typical of this nanny state we live in, I bet be if it were a bunch of Chavs "British word for scum wanabe Eminem's who terrorise innocent people" they would have been served no problem at all. In-fact I have seen scum like this get served, one may have ID but his cronies following him who are about 10-16 years old don't raise no questions.

I think this happened not so long back when a Father went to pick up a bottle of wine from Morrisons, I think his reaction was something like "You just lost a Customer, No sweat to me"

Seems there policy is lacking in staff having any brain cells.

S&F for sharing with others how screwed our country is.

Edit: To add

We shop at Morrisons.....

No Drink

Drink

Yea "Check out" (pun intended) Da Morrisons massive, we iz well hard because we speak like Ali G and we's look like de Eminem from the US-ov-A

[edit on 11-10-2009 by NotAgain]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
For every one of these stories that makes it into the press, there will be a large number that don't! - not everyone wants to make a fuss after they have been publically humiliated by an imbicile.

Unfortunately, these supermarkets have such a foothold, many of the small local shops have been forced out of business - giving us fewer shopping choices.

I try to avoid them all as much as possible - I wish everyone else would do the same - but it's a pipe dream imo

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

It's just a shame they target the wrong people, to me the Check Out person may as well have said "You are going to get your Daughter drunk, you look like that sort of person"

Seems if you are here to terrorize everyone else in the country you get just want you want, however if you are an innocent hard working person it's the opposite.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by NotAgain]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Wow, I am severely disappointed in the shop that decided it will not sell alcohol to mums.

I do not even live in the UK, but I feel just as insulted as I would if I did shop at such a place.

It is insulting as hell, that a mum has to fear shopping with her kids, out of fear the cashier will embarrass her, and refuse the sale -- if she happens to be shopping with her own children.

This is DISCRIMINATION, plain and simple. It needs to be treated as such.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This has been happening in the US for years and years. My liquor store (major chain store) even has a sign up saying: "All persons at checkout counter must show ID and be over the age of 21". It usually applies to kids 16 or over since obviously they don't care if you bring a toddler in with you. Further, I watch people all the time just leave their kids outside at the door until they finish shopping.

I don't blame the stores at all. I blame all the ridiculous people that haved sued various establishments because one of their kids got drunk and they found out where the liquor was originally sold.

That's really the root of most of these ridiculous laws and rules and guidelines. If people would take responsibility for their own actions, and not try to make a quick buck off of everybody else, it wouldn't be this silly.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Ssshhh! Don't let anyone where I live read this! The U.S. is always looking for new ways to make more nanny-state laws. I can't believe this story isn't from good 'ol God-fearin' Texas. Right now I can't buy alcohol until after 12 p.m. on Sunday. I supposed to keep me from getting up early, buying booze, getting drunk and going to church???

The last time I checked, the youth seem to have no problem getting illegal substances, so I'm sure keeping an adult from making a legitimate purchase won't do one thing to curb teen substance abuse.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I don't want to be rude, but really. How is this breaking alternative news. Arseholes working in a retail store letting power go to their heads. Really people!

This is what sheeple crap on about. Trivial and mundane outrage.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Most people in the UK do not carry ID cards - I think this is another reason that the Government are pushing "new rules" in the shops - An incentive for people to carry ID cards around with them - No ID ...no Booze.

They rely upon the idiocy of shop assistants to request ID off shoppers who are clearly of legal age to purchase. I have read cases of shoppers in their 80's being asked for ID !!

Remember, shop assistants have to be over 18 to legally sell alcohol - you could give them a hard time if they start on you - ask them to produce their ID - It might give you a sense of satisfaction but you are playing into the ID culture that tptb are trying to create.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

This is about nanny state regulations taking over this country in place of common sense and parental control
It is imo a very important and relevant issue - we should discuss this - not ignore it!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by suziwong

This is happening more and more in the UK and it is utterly ludicrous.

It is already that way in the United States, or at least in my state of Michigan. A friend who worked at a grocery store by law had to ID entire groups when there was a liquor purchase at the checkout. If everyone wasn't of age, the sale had to be turned down. It was rationalized on the idea that the one making the purchase could be doing it for a minor. Nothing is new here and it's clearly B.S. when the ways around it are so easy (minor doesn't come in, minor can pretend to be of a different party, etc.).

[edit on 10/11/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Next form off control, cameras forceably placed in homes, so tey can keep an eye on parents to see weither or no they feed thier teenagers booze!!!

Police Nanny State UK, I welcome you!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

My sister works for the Co-Op, and it's all part of the challenge 21 plan.

I myself have seen a Polish guy, with an EU Citizen card, being told it wasn't adequate ID.

My sister has been told that she faces a fine and losing her job if she sells alcohol to an adult who then gives it to a minor.

The country has gone bonkers on this. It's no longer adequate for parents to be accountable for their children, it's now our "collective" responsibility to protect their kids on their behalf when they just don't care.

As much as I hate to admit it, it's the fault of pressure groups and "responsible citizens" being unable to accept responsibility for their own bad parenting, or those simply unable to accept that bad things happen.
They have to change the world to prevent something from happening again, no matter how it restricts the rights and freedoms of others.

I get that it's bad that some kids die of alcohol poisoning, it is tragic to see such waste of life, but it's not the fault of society if you don't know where your kids are and what they're consuming!
It is not our responsibility to change millions of lives to help individual parents prevent their kids from drinking!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I know

Take their logic just it one step further and it gets really scarey

I Know that to some this may seem trivial - but it is a line in the sand that we should not be crossing by accepting this (when we do /say nothing we are accepting it and no bad karma passes to those orchestrating events).

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Great post Thanks for this info - I can't believe it! how can any reasonable legal system make a shop assistant responsible for the actions of another adult.

This is Wrong - rotten to the core and reflects how law abiding citizens, trying to earn a living, are being manipulated and criminalised by a corrupt few with an agenda.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I have heard a few stories like this - one included a lad who put the bottle on the checkout for his father - and the cashier refused to serve them - because the underage boy had handled the bottle!

The rational is actually very simple - the supermarkets in the UK are running scared because they have been selling extremely cheap booze and they know that the government is going to come down on them like a ton of bricks.

They are over enforcing the rules regarding sales as a defence against government accusations and the risk that cheap booze sales will be stopped - hitting their profits.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join